What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow Released By Jets! (1 Viewer)

Tebow wins games, he just does. While he may not be the best throwing QB, he wins, so why did he not get a shot over Sanchez? He cant throw or win.
They didn't want him as their starting QB, and were afraid that if they started him, he would win games.
This is the truth. They signed him to get people to buy tickets and team gear. But they never intended to give him a chance to be more than a gadget player for the reason you mention.

Really, the Jets used him and should be ashamed. Why not let him go months ago when he might have had a chance to land somewhere else and compete? Now teams have completed FA and draft and their rosters are nearly set. That's really low of the Jets.
Agreed - at the hands of Rex Ryan - the guy that was always called "the player's coach"

Tebow wins games, he just does. While he may not be the best throwing QB, he wins, so why did he not get a shot over Sanchez? He cant throw or win.
They didn't want him as their starting QB, and were afraid that if they started him, he would win games.
This is the truth. They signed him to get people to buy tickets and team gear. But they never intended to give him a chance to be more than a gadget player for the reason you mention.

Really, the Jets used him and should be ashamed. Why not let him go months ago when he might have had a chance to land somewhere else and compete? Now teams have completed FA and draft and their rosters are nearly set. That's really low of the Jets.
So a team that would really want him, will now pass because they took some late round scrub?

For ####s sake. NFL Network refuses to discuss anything but this bust. They keep referencing the "circus", but fail to realize that they are the circus. Just let him fade into obscurity so we don't have to hear about him anymore. He was a bust. End of story. No NFL team wants him on their roster.
He's a proven winner. The only reason he doesn't play more is the ego of his coaches. The "Bust" label you've thrown on him is undeserved.
Right. No NFL team wanted him. All the coaches and general managers in the NFL have it out for him. I can just see it now. Administration in the NFL are the Romans and they are nailing him to a cross as we speak. Which one gets to be Pilate?

EDIT: Spellun

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly the conspiracy of NFL coaches, GMs and owners not wanting to win football games continues. I mean, what other possible reason could there be for teams not wanting "a proven winner" like Tebow?

:sarcasm:

I find it funny that Tebow fans are crying about the injustice of it all yet no one is crying a river for the Heisman candidate Colin Klien The fact is you can be a great college QB but unless you have a great arm you are not getting drafted. Tebow got a better shot than most qbs that play his style of game

I find it funny that Tebow fans are crying about the injustice of it all yet no one is crying a river for the Heisman candidate Colin Klien The fact is you can be a great college QB but unless you have a great arm you are not getting drafted. Tebow got a better shot than most qbs that play his style of game
Klein was not in the same ballpark as Tebow in college. HTH.

For me, it's not the injustice - it's about the hate. The guy didn't force himself on anybody. Denver drafted him - and he did what was asked of him there.

But for people to root against him for no legitimate reason is absurd.

Klein was not in the same ballpark as Tebow in college. HTH.
What about Danny Wuerffel? He was a much better collegiate QB yet had no success in the NFL.

Sorry but it gets real old hearing about how poorly the Jets treated Tebow. He was signed as a backup QB - he was given no impression he would be given the chance to compete for the starting QB position (less than two weeks before they traded for him, the Jets gave Sanchez that massive extension). Based on what the team saw of him in practice, they didn't like what they saw. End of story - for folks (not saying you but others) to say that the Jets were afraid to play him because he might actually win - come on now. Jets fans would love to have a winning football team regardless of who gets us there (this also goes for the coaches and the owner). Tebow just didn't show enough to warrant that position.
Everybody and their mama knew when the Jets acquired him that he was a notorious poor practice player. To use that as the reason for not giving him a shot at starter when Sanchez was clearly struggling was disingenuous. Yes, the Jets would love to have a winning football team, but they found themselves in the same territory that Denver was in, that if they started him and he won a game or two, they would be stuck with him as a starter until he had a losing streak or face a fan revolt - no reason to not give him a shot unless one believes the rather lame excuse that a known horrible practice player didn't show anything in practice.
Sorry, and I say this respectfully, but that's a cop-out and an excuse Tebow supporters like to use. This isn't pop warner football - if a player in the NFL isn't able to perform his duties to a sufficient level against other NFL players in a practice setting, they do not deserve to even sniff the actual game field.

Sorry but it gets real old hearing about how poorly the Jets treated Tebow. He was signed as a backup QB - he was given no impression he would be given the chance to compete for the starting QB position (less than two weeks before they traded for him, the Jets gave Sanchez that massive extension). Based on what the team saw of him in practice, they didn't like what they saw. End of story - for folks (not saying you but others) to say that the Jets were afraid to play him because he might actually win - come on now. Jets fans would love to have a winning football team regardless of who gets us there (this also goes for the coaches and the owner). Tebow just didn't show enough to warrant that position.
Everybody and their mama knew when the Jets acquired him that he was a notorious poor practice player. To use that as the reason for not giving him a shot at starter when Sanchez was clearly struggling was disingenuous. Yes, the Jets would love to have a winning football team, but they found themselves in the same territory that Denver was in, that if they started him and he won a game or two, they would be stuck with him as a starter until he had a losing streak or face a fan revolt - no reason to not give him a shot unless one believes the rather lame excuse that a known horrible practice player didn't show anything in practice.
Sorry, and I say this respectfully, but that's a cop-out and an excuse Tebow supporters like to use. This isn't pop warner football - if a player in the NFL isn't able to perform his duties to a sufficient level against other NFL players in a practice setting, they do not deserve to even sniff the actual game field.
Respectfully, it works both ways. When the guy was on the field in a real game situation, he won. So as a coach would rather have a poor practice player, winner on the field - or the reverse (I guess if you are Rex Ryan, you rather have the reverse - cause that's what he has).

If you are the Jets, you had to take the gamble in 2012 and roll the dice with him. No downside whatsoever.

“If he wants to come to Canada he would be in the same situation as the one he was in with New York,” Montreal general manager Jim Popp said, via TSN.com. “He can come here and compete to be the backup to Anthony Calvillo and learn the game, just like Jeff Garcia did (behind Doug Flutie). And one day he might be the guy; that’s our vision. He can learn from the best.”

With teams moving closer to the read option you would think his time is now. The NFL is just about ripe for his style of play. With that said I just don't think the Tebow is an NFL caliber QB and apparently most NFL men feel the same. The Tebow doesn't seem to have the mind set to improve his play. I really believe he thinks he can just go out there and run an entire offense on the busted sand lot play.

Good bye Tebow Tim Your candle burned out long before Your legend ever did

Respectfully, it works both ways. When the guy was on the field in a real game situation, he won. So as a coach would rather have a poor practice player, winner on the field - or the reverse (I guess if you are Rex Ryan, you rather have the reverse - cause that's what he has).

If you are the Jets, you had to take the gamble in 2012 and roll the dice with him. No downside whatsoever.
if we're going to continue to live on past performance (i.e. winning), than Sanchez, the incumbent QB, was even more successful than Tebow in the prior years (both during the regular seasons and in the playoffs).

Past success is not indicative of future success.

Seattle should consider him.

Yes I will say that Tebow would be better than Quinn, Portis and Jerrod Johnson, and he would make sense in the hybrid spread they have there behind Wilson.

Quinn's going in as the backup, yes Tebow would be better than that.

if we're going to continue to live on past performance (i.e. winning), than Sanchez, the incumbent QB, was even more successful than Tebow in the prior years (both during the regular seasons and in the playoffs).

But to referring to it as his past - while accurate is deceptive here - his past is the last time he took the field as a starter. Most players get an opportunity to show they cannot perform before having their opportunity taken away. This was the reverse.

And I am not in the camp that he is a great QB or that he will continue to produce wins at that rate - but I do think he deserves an opportunity to show whether or not he is - by playing.

“If he wants to come to Canada he would be in the same situation as the one he was in with New York,” Montreal general manager Jim Popp said, via TSN.com. “He can come here and compete to be the backup to Anthony Calvillo and learn the game, just like Jeff Garcia did (behind Doug Flutie). And one day he might be the guy; that’s our vision. He can learn from the best.”
Calvillo won't be playing for much longer, he should seriously consider this offer:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165254/article/could-tim-tebow-make-it-to-cfls-montreal-alouettes

Might Tim Tebow make it to CFL's Montreal Alouettes?

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

It's going to be impossible for Tim Tebow to find a legitimate chance at a starting quarterback job in the NFL. That doesn't mean he won't have options after getting waived by the New York Jets.

We can imagine a number of teams that might want to take Tebowmania on in a possible reserve role. This includes the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, who have squatted on his rights in Canada.

"If he wants to come to Canada, he would be in the same situation as the one he was in with New York," well-respected Montreal GM Jim Popp told TSN. "He can come here and compete to be the backup to Anthony Calvillo and learn the game, just like Jeff Garcia did (behind Doug Flutie). And one day he might be the guy; that's our vision. He can learn from the best.

"If (Tebow) wants to come to Canada, he will reach out to us. And if he wants to come to Canada, we would take a look at him."

There's no reason to think Tebow will go to Canada if he's going to be a backup there. Most likely, he can find a reserve role in the NFL. The Jacksonville Jaguars won't be the team helping him out.

"The Jacksonville Jaguars' plans do not include Tim Tebow," the team's owner, Shad Khan, said in a statement to USA Today.

It's been a humbling year for Tebow since arriving in New York. This moment represents a low point, but we still expect him to find work without having to leave the country.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

The only good thing about Tebow going to the CFL would be that the 4 letter network will probably start carrying the games and we don't have to hunt down the local Comcast channel or MSNBC sports to find it.

But to referring to it as his past - while accurate is deceptive here - his past is the last time he took the field as a starter. Most players get an opportunity to show they cannot perform before having their opportunity taken away. This was the reverse.

And I am not in the camp that he is a great QB or that he will continue to produce wins at that rate - but I do think he deserves an opportunity to show whether or not he is - by playing.
But he wasn't acquired to be the starter (nor acquired to be given the chance to compete). The Broncos looked to trade him and he was given the choice to go the Jets or the Jaguars and he chose the Jets, knowing full well that Sanchez was the starter (and had been given a large contract extension less than two weeks prior) and that wasn't going go to change. Players, who had been starters, are traded in all professional sports to positions where they become non-starters. Just because he was a starter for a period of time doesn't continue to guarantee him starter status going forward (I know you're not saying that but I'm just making the comment).

As to whether or not he was given an opportunity to change his lot on the team - he actually was - in practice. Even though Sanchez was the incumbent starter, if Tebow played lights out in practice (especially when Sanchez struggled), he would have had a chance to start. He didn't so he wasn't. No team is going to let a player (especially the QB) play in a real live game when they can't perform in practice. They're just not going to.

Re-reading back through all of this, my posts may come across as anti-Tebow, but that's not the case or my intent. As a Jets fan, if he gave us the best chance to win a Superbowl, I'd be all for him being our QB. I just want to win, period. Whoever gets us there doesn't matter to me.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/04/29/why-tim-tebow-could-end-up-in-cfl-after-jets-release/

‘You never know until you try’: Why Tim Tebow could end up in the CFL

Sean Fitz-Gerald

As a test of strength, players would throw a football at the speakers suspended high above the field at McMahon Stadium, in Calgary. The precise measurements were never known, but they might as well have been throwing at a mountaintop. Success was rare.

Michael Bishop, who once spent time ahead of Tom Brady on the New England Patriots’ depth chart, was playing for the Toronto Argonauts. Bishop had massive hands, thick and meaty palms, and arm strength that many suspected was of extraterrestrial origin.

He hit the speakers.

“Michael’s arm strength is comparable to very few who have ever played the game,” long-time Canadian Football League executive Eric Tillman told a reporter a few years ago. “John Elway and Brett Favre, in their prime, are the only two who come to mind.”

Only Bishop, even with all of that arm strength, never lasted as a starter in the CFL. The game welcomes raw power, but requires much, much more of a quarterback.

What do I have to offer him? If he wants to come to camp and compete as a backup quarterback, that’s what we have to offer him

And that is why the question of Tim Tebow, the quarterback with the unusual mechanics, has never been fully extinguished in relation to the CFL. The New York Jets waived the 25-year-old on Monday, raising the possibility that his time in the NFL has ended, and that he might have to look further afield for work.

There has been speculation he could be lured to the Arena Football League, to play for a team in Orlando, closer to where he became a deity with the University of Florida. And there is always the possibility he could land in something lucrative away from the field, like television.

And then, there is the CFL, where the Montreal Alouettes hold his rights.

“I don’t think we’d ever know if he could be a quarterback in the CFL unless you had him,” Alouettes general manager Jim Popp said on Monday. “He’s intriguing, obviously.”

In Montreal, he would also be a backup behind veteran Anthony Calvillo, who could play his final year this season. Calvillo could also decide to stick around and play for another two seasons. Tebow would have to be patient.

“Who’s the next quarterback in Montreal? We don’t know,” Popp said. “So at the end of the day, if he wants to come in and compete to be a backup — learn the system, learn us, and let us evaluate whether he can be (a starter) — we’re all in favour of that.”

“I say, ‘you never know until you try,’” said Matt Dunigan, a retired quarterback who is a member of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, as well as a CFL analyst with TSN.

Tebow’s trouble throwing a textbook pass does not mean he could not play in Canada, he said.

“You look at somebody like Tracy Ham, who’s a hall-of-famer,” Dunigan said. “Tracy came up here and he was basically a running quarterback from the hambone down at Georgia Southern. He learned the game, he went out there and played the game — and made some mistakes early — but he certainly embraced the game and did everything necessary in order to put himself in a position to be successful.”

Ham finished with 40,534 career passing yards, retiring as one of the most successful quarterbacks in league history. Coincidentally, it was Ham who helped mentor Calvillo as a member of the Alouettes — just as Calvillo would be called upon to mentor Tebow, if he landed in Montreal.

“First of all, I think he has a strong arm,” Popp said. “Obviously, everybody talks about mechanics. In the CFL, there’s a lot more ad-lib stuff, because you’re moving around and throwing the ball. You see a little bit more of that.

“At the end of the day, I think it’s more touch, accuracy.”

Popp has been down this road before. The Alouettes have Vince Young, another former U.S. college star, on their negotiating list. Popp said Young’s representatives have called him each of the last two years, but have never even discussed contract terms or money.

He does not plan to call Tebow if he clears through waivers.

“What do I have to offer him? If he wants to come to camp and compete as a backup quarterback, that’s what we have to offer him,” Popp said. “We have his playing rights, and we’re open to that. But, I mean, it’s going to come down to Tim Tebow making the decision: ‘Do I want to go play in a different football league?’”

Yes I will say that Tebow would be better than Quinn, Portis and Jerrod Johnson, and he would make sense in the hybrid spread they have there behind Wilson.

There's a misconception that Seattle is using a read-option offense. That's just not the case. They used it just a small handful of times late in the season, but it was never their base offense.

The Dude said:
The Dude, on 29 Apr 2013 - 10:26, said:For me, it's not the injustice - it's about the hate.
Hate? I don't think the majority of NFL fans care about Tebow at all. There's no emotion attached to Tebow the player. There's a lot of being annoyed because of the amount of press dedicated to him.

QuoteBut for people to root against him for no legitimate reason is absurd.
I don't root against him. I don't think he's a very good NFL quarterback and not worth all the press he gets.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

Seattle's GM was quoted as saying "Uh, no".

It gets lost in the shuffle of all the pro/anti Tebow stuff that not only do you have to adapt an offense to his limited QB skill set, but he's also left handed so the entire offense has to flip in addition to the other adjustments.

edited to add link to quote

This isn't a shock to anyone, is it?
Not at all

To do so a day after the draft ended after teams have filled out their rosters is a bit bush league IMO.
The following occurred today:

- Philly released TE Evan Moore

- New England released WR Jeremy Ebert, FB Tony Fiammetta, TE Brad Herman, DL Tracy Robertson, DB Malcolm Williams

- Minnesota released P TJ Conley

- Jacksonville released DE Jermone Long, WR Jerrell Jackson

- Buffalo released QB Aaron Corp, OT Adam Grant, K Chris Koepplin, TE Joe Sawyer

- Arizona released G Adam Snyder, G Jeremiah Warren

So other players were released after the draft (and will continue to be released in the upcoming weeks/months), but because the Jets released a player after the draft, it's bush league?

Seriously, enough with this nonsense.

I think Tebow should take this time to come out of the closet like Jason Collins did today.

Turn a negative into a positive.

Witz, (didn't bother to quote the earlier conversation), you and I are not going to agree in this instance.

I generally agree with your thought that a poor practice player is not going to get PT. But Tebow had a track record of doing that exact thing. The Jets had him under contract and should have given him a shot in 2012. They had nothing to lose.

Did Tebow really refuse to change positions? I heard that two teams offered to trade with the Jets if Tebow agreed to change position to TE. Tebow seems like a man that would do whatever it takes to succeed and he has got to realize he isn't an NFL quarterback. Why would he not want to be an NFL player even it means changing positions?

This isn't a shock to anyone, is it?
Not at all To do so a day after the draft ended after teams have filled out their rosters is a bit bush league IMO.
The following occurred today: - Philly released TE Evan Moore- New England released WR Jeremy Ebert, FB Tony Fiammetta, TE Brad Herman, DL Tracy Robertson, DB Malcolm Williams- Minnesota released P TJ Conley- Jacksonville released DE Jermone Long, WR Jerrell Jackson- Buffalo released QB Aaron Corp, OT Adam Grant, K Chris Koepplin, TE Joe Sawyer- Arizona released G Adam Snyder, G Jeremiah Warren So other players were released after the draft (and will continue to be released in the upcoming weeks/months), but because the Jets released a player after the draft, it's bush league? Seriously, enough with this nonsense.
But how will Adam Syder be able to hook up with another team now? Teams drafted all the guards they need.

Did Tebow really refuse to change positions? I heard that two teams offered to trade with the Jets if Tebow agreed to change position to TE. Tebow seems like a man that would do whatever it takes to succeed and he has got to realize he isn't an NFL quarterback. Why would he not want to be an NFL player even it means changing positions?
From what I recall that option has been open to him at all his previous stops but that he wants to be a QB.

Pretty much. Ryan will be gone soon and I will laugh.
Do people still think there was some conspiracy? He's just not good as a QB. NFL coaches have egos but their egos go out the window if their job is on the line. When push came to shove last year and the Jets still had a shot at the playoffs after Sanchez went down, Rex went with Greg McElroy over Tebow. Nough said.

Good Lord, the Broncos actually let Tebow pick the Jets or the Jags when they dealt him. Now the Jets were supposedly obligated to release him at the optimal time for him. What more is he owed that I am missing?

Do people still think there was some conspiracy? He's just not good as a QB. NFL coaches have egos but their egos go out the window if their job is on the line. When push came to shove last year and the Jets still had a shot at the playoffs after Sanchez went down, Rex went with Greg McElroy over Tebow. Nough said.
I don't think so.

I don't think so.
That's why Faith is blind I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread