What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think that some of the criticism is that off base. Reginald Cornsilks, avoiding injuries and Groovus in particular have given me much to consider...
Hasn't this been done before? You state you will try and change yet nothing does. People have offered helpful advice in the past and for a day or two you may listen but then it is back to the same routine.
THIS CONVERSATION WAS OVER AS SOON AS THE TROLL WAS MENTIONED!!! NEVER MET ANYONE! HAD CHANCES! POSTS 88,000 IN A FEW YEARS. NO COLLECTIVE, NO BOT, NO NOTHING, JUST TIM.

ALL TIM.

JUST TIM.

ALL HAIL TIM.
As much as you say Tim doesn't get it- you just may be part of the perceived "problem with Tim" and don't get that. You are well on your way to making this thread about you. Just sayin'...
I'm sort of uniquely sensitive to that type of stuff, even down to reading cross-threads and the like. I don't think tim is a legitimate person. I speak up. That's it. I don't follow Tim around nor post in all of his threads, as a lot of them don't appeal to me. I'm being declarative, but I think there are a lot of trolls and aliases on the board and that they try to steer and shape discussion. That's my opinion, and if I find people I take at face value, I think they know it.

eta* I never said Tim doesn't get it. On the contrary, I think whoever drives tim gets it uniquely.
Okay. But you do seem particularly "invested" here.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think that some of the criticism is that off base. Reginald Cornsilks, avoiding injuries and Groovus in particular have given me much to consider...
Hasn't this been done before? You state you will try and change yet nothing does. People have offered helpful advice in the past and for a day or two you may listen but then it is back to the same routine.
THIS CONVERSATION WAS OVER AS SOON AS THE TROLL WAS MENTIONED!!! NEVER MET ANYONE! HAD CHANCES! POSTS 88,000 IN A FEW YEARS. NO COLLECTIVE, NO BOT, NO NOTHING, JUST TIM.

ALL TIM.

JUST TIM.

ALL HAIL TIM.
As much as you say Tim doesn't get it- you just may be part of the perceived "problem with Tim" and don't get that. You are well on your way to making this thread about you. Just sayin'...
I'm sort of uniquely sensitive to that type of stuff, even down to reading cross-threads and the like. I don't think tim is a legitimate person. I speak up. That's it. I don't follow Tim around nor post in all of his threads, as a lot of them don't appeal to me. I'm being declarative, but I think there are a lot of trolls and aliases on the board and that they try to steer and shape discussion. That's my opinion, and if I find people I take at face value, I think they know it.

eta* I never said Tim doesn't get it. On the contrary, I think whoever drives tim gets it uniquely.
Okay. But you do seem particularly "invested" here.
Aliases and trolls strike me as a moral wrong and the last vestige of unwarranted power in a digital age. I think people who take advantage of it when they're not banned are morally wrong, unless it's in the service of (pretty much universally acknowledged ) humor. Like the Vuvuzela or #1 Ghana Soccer Fan. Shtick like that. When it comes to identity jacking, it's no fun. People might say, "hey, dude, internet." But it's also community, too. There's a fine line there.

I think tim's a troll, and have for a long time now. I think he also really fishes and messes up people here while others from the sideline raise an eyebrow and cheer and jeer about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like you. i think the opinions people have of you are complete hyperbole and you shouldnt let it get to you. some people take this place too seriously. there are going to be different personalities on a board like this and if people have a problem with a specific person there is always the ignore feature.

think about it. there are people here who have nothing better to do than to go to another board and have an ncaa style tournament for the worst posters here, and people think you have a problem?

i like you. i think the opinions people have of you are complete hyperbole and you shouldnt let it get to you. some people take this place too seriously. there are going to be different personalities on a board like this and if people have a problem with a specific person there is always the ignore feature.

think about it. there are people here who have nothing better to do than to go to another board and have an ncaa style tournament for the worst posters here, and people think you have a problem?
There are also people here who drive Priuses. No joke. They're here. Hiding amongst us.

Wait...WHAT? Someone actually did this?

There are also people here who drive Priuses. No joke. They're here. Hiding amongst us.
swine like them should be banned.

Tim, here's a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier about being the tone deaf kid in school who won't stop... pedantic semantic arguing over and over. Just drop it.

two deep,

First off I never stated that the Taliban is "legitimate". I'm not even sure what that word means. The Taliban is evil. They are murderers. And we should try to understand them better. I don't see any contradiction between these points.

Second, why do you keep referring to them as cowards? I heard the same thing after 9/11, and it surprised me then. They are evil, but not all evil people are cowards. From what I know of the Taliban, they have proven themselves to be very brave. No it is not brave to kill children; nor is it cowardly. It's simply evil. Calling them cowards is not accurate IMO.
A synonym of bravery is heroism...is that really the word you want to apply here?I am not even wanting a response, but please read my post at the end of page 2 and think on it a bit.
I already did read your post and I responded to it.As per your question: bravery and heroism are often the same, but not necessarily the same. The Taliban has showed themselves over the past 2 decades to be, at times, both brave and heroic. I certainly don't admire them because they are evil. But I don't think they're particularly cowardly either.

Of all the criticisms levied at me, the only one that is 100% wrong is Rockaction. I'm just one guy. The reason he sometimes sees misspelling is that I post a lot from my iPhone and I'm not the best at texting. (Incidentally, this is a large part of why I post so much- I'm often at shopping centers waiting for appointments all day long. My business has several hours each day of waiting around for people to show up- often they never do. Any commercial real estate agent knows what I'm talking about. You know those threads that start out with "I'm stuck here for two hours, ask me anything"? I could start that thread any day of the week.)

Rockaction is also wrong about me being a troll. The purpose, as I understand it, of a troll is to destroy good discussion and debate. Whether or not I succeed or fail, my purpose is always the exact opposite.

Of all the criticisms levied at me, the only one that is 100% wrong is Rockaction. I'm just one guy. The reason he sometimes sees misspelling is that I post a lot from my iPhone and I'm not the best at texting. (Incidentally, this is a large part of why I post so much- I'm often at shopping centers waiting for appointments all day long. My business has several hours each day of waiting around for people to show up- often they never do. Any commercial real estate agent knows what I'm talking about. You know those threads that start out with "I'm stuck here for two hours, ask me anything"? I could start that thread any day of the week.)

Rockaction is also wrong about me being a troll. The purpose, as I understand it, of a troll is to destroy good discussion and debate. Whether or not I succeed or fail, my purpose is always the exact opposite.
I will say that I've tried having debates with you and you always seem to attack back. I still like you and have no issues, but it's hard to talk with you when your end game is to "win" the conversation. Just my :twocents:

I will say that I've tried having debates with you and you always seem to attack back. I still like you and have no issues, but it's hard to talk with you when your end game is to "win" the conversation. Just my :twocents:
This.

I agree with you. I'm going to try to stop that.

First bolded: Dude, your posts can't come from an iPhone. That's ludicrous.

Second bolded: No, that's not the point of a troll at all. It's to fish, draw out, and make people look stupid.

Tim, I like you and I think you're a net positive for this board. You're insightful, self-deprecating, and generally fair. You seem like a good person.

You may find this post odd coming from me because I've been critical of you in the past, but that criticism is because, as I suggested in the criticism itself, I feel you can "be better". I'm not alluding to the more common criticisms: your post volume, your waffling, or your propensity to wear your emotions on your sleave. None of that bothers me, and I see it as you wanting to share your breadth of knowledge and opinions rather than you trying to dominate the topic.

Instead, I'm alluding to you, on occasion, pumping the breaks on a debate and labeling someone a bigot or a racist. It smacks of an unwarranted personal attack similar to that you find yourself currently on the end of and not enjoying.
I agree with this as well.

Those quotes look like feedback. I think this is feedback on the feedback. I don't think I'll be sure until we get a thread dedicated to feedback on this feedback on that feedback.

Second bolded: No, that's not the point of a troll at all. It's to fish, draw out, and make people look stupid.
what do you mean my posts can't cone from an iPhone? Every post I have made in this thread, including this one, is from an iPhone.

Forgot to add, and then I'll leave well enough alone:

The fact that I (or anyone) let you bother me sometimes here, is more than likely a "me" problem and not a "you" problem. When I spew a fast response to you sometimes acting like a jerk, I often forget this (or I'm going through tobacco withdrawals). I'm going to try and remember that going forward before acting like a Richard.

Tim, I've always liked you and never understood the haters. It's really weird.

My only comment to you is that sometimes it seems like you play both sides of the issue. I'm not sure if it's just to stimulate converstaion, but it does get a little annoying, especially in the religion threads.

But I'd be totally bummed if you left. I think your contributions are a big net positive for the board.

I can defend the iPhone posting. All my posts are from an iphone and I pay minimal attention so sometimes autocorrect does some weird ####.

Learn to post what you mean. Put the broad brush away. If you're stating something as a fact be prepared to back it up with a link (still waiting on one in the NBA thread but I'll just accept that you were wrong since it has been a day or two). When you're plagarizing posting from a source, link your source. If you can't do that because you're on a phone, either learn how to do it or stop posting from your phone.

I can defend the iPhone posting. All my posts are from an iphone and I pay minimal attention so sometimes autocorrect does some weird ####.
I understand that. Have you ever read a Tim post? Like, a long one. I'm pretty sure most of his posts don't come from the iPhone (I had one) and even within the long ones, the grammar is messed up and then perfect at times.

I realize people are giving me an out. Not to be able to comprehend that someone in L.A. who loves history does this totally believable stuff is a limit on the imagination. Still, I disagree. There are other things I find unbelievable about this. It's a perfect storm, if one will, and I'll leave it at that.

Wait, didn't you recently join us over there?
yes, the naked women lured me in but i want no part in the ncaa forum member gossip tournament, unless i get a high enough seed.

:unsure:

Timschochet reminds me of LHUCKS in that the FFA gets all spun up about and upset about these guys and I'm never quite sure why. It's like this irresistible trap and the board just can't help but be sucked in.

:shrug:

:unsure:
I'm self-conscious enough to have already considered it, thanks. But your posts are great. :cool:

i think this criticism is also true. I have tried to change somewhat here, and I have failed in the past. I am who I am. But I really agree that it is unnecessary for me to always state my opinion- I really am just as interested in other people's opinions. I'm going to try withholding my own POV and instead try to encourage others to clarify theirs. That can also lead, hopefully, to interesting discussions and debates (which is my goal) without the appearance of me trying to dominate the conversation.
Don't even do that, imo. You do that so many times, knowing full well what the poster means, just so you can come back stronger and more defined in your counter. That's what changes things from good, informed discussion to the opposite. Also, sit back and let threads develop a little. Maybe you'll enter a thread with a more clear opinion, so you don't have to take back things you say early on. We don't always need to be subjected to your entire thought process every time.

I like you Tim and hope you stay, but please take some of this advice to heart.

And stop throwing out history lessons at everyone too. Sometimes it fits the topic. Other times, it derails the thread.

Timschochet reminds me of LHUCKS in that the FFA gets all spun up about and upset about these guys and I'm never quite sure why. It's like this irresistible trap and the board just can't help but be sucked in.

I never quite got the TimHate either.

Even in the drafts, he routinely took a beating, and I didn't understand it there as well.

tim brohan you are a good dude and i think of you as my brohan from another mothran but you have to admit you are a gunner and if a teach said we can leave ten minutes early if there are no more questions you would totally raise your hand and ask some questions while everyone else moaned and groaned about it so in summary please stop raising your hand and also please stop liking kobe because he is a horrible person take that to the bank and keep on posting do not let the jagalopes get you down my brother

I don't engage in a lot of those threads but often read them. Here's my take: It's okay not to have, or at least express, an opinion on everything.

Even in the drafts, he routinely took a beating, and I didn't understand it there as well.
Some people have issues is what it is and have nothing better to do than to harp on tim over and over. Most people who consider tims posts annoying or whatever can move on, maybe hit the ignore button on him, but these people cant do that for some reason. hell, a prominent poster on this board one time took things way too far with me, even posting threatening things on my profile and such. its the same thing. Oh look i just made the thread about me.

Some people have issues is what it is and have nothing better to do than to harp on tim over and over. Most people who consider tims posts annoying or whatever can move on, maybe hit the ignore button on him, but these people cant do that for some reason. hell, a prominent poster on this board one time took things way too far with me, even posting threatening things on my profile and such. its the same thing. Oh look i just made the thread about me.
Look, I sent you apology candies and a stripogram, what more do you want from me? Why can't you stop bringing up the past?

Tim (aka Joe Bryant's alias),this is your board so you can obviously post when and what you want. I'd slow down if it is diverting your attention away from selling a few extra boats however.

You have as much right to be here as anybody.

Learn to shut up. After expressing your opinion, and reiterating it, learn to let it go. If you do not have a new point, stop. Reiterations of reiterations to each individual person who enters a thread is not necessary.

Before posting in a thread take a look at the post count, if you have more posts than the next three highest posters combined, stop, unless you have some unique insight or expertise. Let the thread breathe a little. You claim you want debate and the opinions of others, prove it by your actions, let others have a say. If you cannot, well then we have put the lie to your words.

Enjoy our shared home, but learn to wipe your feet before entering, to light a match when you fart, and to not always take the last slice and beer. There are others here too.

tim brohan you are a good dude and i think of you as my brohan from another mothran but you have to admit you are a gunner and if a teach said we can leave ten minutes early if there are no more questions you would totally raise your hand and ask some questions while everyone else moaned and groaned about it so in summary please stop raising your hand and also please stop liking kobe because he is a horrible person take that to the bank and keep on posting do not let the jagalopes get you down my brother
:lmao:

tim, many of us have stood up for you before. If we haven't now, it's just because it's a bit tiresome. Not necessarily because of you, but because of those whom you disturb so much. I simply don't understand the vitriol.

Some folks have given you good advice in this thread, including the excellent posting by DW just above mine. If you wish to take it, that's great, but it seems that many people still won't be satisfied. For instance, the criticism that you make every thread about you seems to me quite misplaced, as I generally see other people making the thread about you. Some people simply will never like you, which is OK.

It's the quantity over quality aspect and the need to argue points not worth spending 5 seconds thinking about.

And this should be a fun, light board. No offense, but your topics are pretty boring and go round and round aimlessly.

I like you.

I think when you burst on the scene, you made an initial bad impression on many. You didn't have any cred, but you were starting threads and providing/defending your stances on nearly every significant topic as if it were Gospel. Some folks will never move past that. I know I gave you some crap.

However, after playing FF with ya the last 3 years, you come across as a nice, decent guy.

We are who we are and unless those folks that are biased towards you get the chance to see behind the curtain, they're going to continue to bag on you.

If I had one piece of advice, take 5 minutes after writing your posts before you submit them. You'll avoid a lot of the bait that seems to get you in one off pissing matches and such.

if you look at post count, you lead the post count in nearly every hotly debated topic that there is by a LOT
decided to take a look at this with a sample of active threads on the first page that seem like ones Tim would post in

Thread 1: Thank Obama For Higher Gas Prices (tim has 8 of 270 replies)

Thread 2: Taliban Kill 126 (tim ranks #1 with 31 of 251 replies)

Thread 3: I really like Elizabeth Warren (tim ranks #1 with 55 of 523 replies)

Thread 4: Can the killing of innocents ever be justifiable? (tim ranks #1 with 9 of 64 replies)

Thread 5: Lies about Hitler (tim ranks 8th with 71 of 1861 replies)
seems like this would be the #1 thread Tim would post in

I think that's a good comparison. I thought it was funny how spun up people would get over Lhucks posts.

Hi. I don't post here a ton but have a pretty good lay of the land.

A. I don't have much of an issue with you, but that may have to do with how often I am here.

2. I was reading that terrorist thread and thought it was interesting. Until page two. I left and never went back because it got vomited on.

D. Someone up-thread mentioned that the board is as much a community as it is "just a message board." That pretty much nails it. Yes, it's anonymous, but it's not identity-less. Act as you would in your own real world community and expect the same types of reactions. Overposting is the equivalent of double-parking in the town square. If I see a blue Camry do it once, I drive around. Twice, I say to myself hey that's the same car as yesterday. By the tenth time I'm pretty pissed and so are other townsfolk. That's why people don't double park in town square. It's ####### rude. But hey, we all need to double park once in while...but you tend to double park a lot. Cars get backed up in town square and people get frustrated. Then they start avoiding going to town square. Next thing you know, business in town square nose dives and our favorite watering hole has to close up shop. The dry cleaner too. People will start driving out to the dry cleaner on the outskirts of town next to Jimmy's strip mall bar. Drinking in a strip mall sucks and the dry cleaners don't do as a good a job. Mostly because they're not really a dry cleaner. They're a terrorist cell. All of a sudden, we are all supporting the Taliban and the terrorists win.

Don't double park so much. K, thx.

I think that's a good comparison. I thought it was funny how spun up people would get over Lhucks posts.
Eh. Hucks was an outright ####### to everyone. Tim is not.

Generation 1 - leading posters were domerjohn, saheeb's warrior, bash monkey, Joe t, etc. Lots of funny topics, some funny fishing among people who didn't know fishing existed yet, good times had by all.

Generation 2- leading posters were shuke, gm, scoobygang, shining path, bigbottom, oh and by the way, shick! and Joe. Lots of smart, funny people leading the way in posts.

Generation 3 - the cliques. Obc wanted to talk about their clique but shick wouldn't let them. 11 started dominating every thread and posting funny stories, but they were all really entertaining guys. Joe, scupper, jzilla, shuke, gm, bagger, tre, tu and such. Pickles appeared out of nowhere, because he had never posted here before. Labs had all the smart funny guys, like smoo, fatguy, shiny, scoob, biggie. If we had a politics thread, and we had plenty, it was dominated by smart, funny people. I know I'm leaving some great ones out.

Generation 4 - leading posters were zartan, mini zartan, mr. Dingles, zippy. It got a little silly with all the post padding but the main guys were still the main guys. This is also when some of the great posters emerged, guys like tanner and bentley and tufnel and Norwood and Norville and some of the early :e: guys. Another really fun group.

The generation after that took a major blow when shick stepped down. Then came the second bush election and it became all about politics, with thoughtful but one sided posters like Bueno, ncc, yankeefan23, Andy dufresne and Co taking center stage. Still a bright, funny lot, and the good posters stuck around quite a bit, but the politics became a major part of the forum.

Then towards the end of bush's second term, bgp was on full display, tyrranosaurusing his way around threads in his own, off kilter but never boring way. Some other topics spawned like werewolf threads, running threads, threads about video games, threads about tv shows or movies or books or bands or whatever. We had had so many drafts that they were no longer must read. Threads moved so quick that you no longer even tried to read most of the topics on page one. The community had become a bunch of sub communities, the top posters were getting older, and the new stewards of the forum were not as good.

Now instead of fucla debating Yankeefan over states rights and the whole forum reading shiny's post that this was like the Lincoln Douglas debates but with dumb people, there were actual dumb people involved. Actually dumb dumb people. Dumb dumbs. Politics threads had become a bunch of one sided people arguing red vs blue over and over and over again. The smart, funny people withdrew.

And then Tim showed up.

And from that moment, with Tim creating threads about that thing ayn rand said once, or that criticism that that other guy had about communism, or the things people say about Hitler, or a draft of boring people from Borington, or what this president did or that candidate said they would do, the conversation got a little smarter, a lot less fun, and a lot more prevalent.

Tim, you fish with dynamite in a school full of red and blue piranha. You throw bait in there and watch the worst of the worst rip it apart with their unsurprising opinions that they got from their same talking points and just when it seems like a new and interesting thought might appear, you post something intended to make it all about you again. It's impossible for the smart and funny people to get a word in edgewise even without you in the thread, but when you're active in a thread it makes it worthless for anyone else to try.

A lot of the great posters have left the board. Some died, some were banned, some got real jobs or just left or don't post as much or whatever. That left a void and by pressing as much as you do you became the self appointed steward of this Generation. But you don't pay funny threads. I'm told you make funny posts and I've even seem a few but you're starting this board in your direction at a time when nobody else is stepping up to steer it in their direction. You get the occasional eminence or blue magic, but the board craps all over them. A lot of posters hole up in their own little threads about the NBA or game of thrones or this video game or whatever. But of the few general interest threads that are started these days, a high percentage are started by you, and they're very rarely fun or funny. That makes people hole up more in their specialized threads, and post less in other threads, and fewer people start threads, and the place is just getting boringer and boringer.

I don't think that's all your fault by any means, but if you continue to make yourself the center of attention, you have some power over the direction of the board and the direction you've taken it is not fun. I know that other people could start fun threads or do more to fix the place but you have the mic. Use it for good not evil.

Tim is a little like Del Griffith...annoys the hell out of you but you come to like him because he means no harm. I think it is just the overwhelming volume of posts in a thread by one person whoever it is that wears some people down.

Here's some feedback. You have turned wasting time here into a gladiator type sport where you will always win by attrition.

The sheer insanity by how much you post would be startling to any employer or even family member. Since I am neither, I could really care less what you do. I guess if this is what makes you happy and fills up your day, keep doing it, but it is fairly weird behavior from a psychological perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread