What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (3 Viewers)

Tim is a naive, pseudo intellectual who can't hold a position on anything. He gets plenty of feedback in his threads, so starting this one is nothing but a "look at me." Everything is always about you.

Generation 1 - leading posters were domerjohn, saheeb's warrior, bash monkey, Joe t, etc. Lots of funny topics, some funny fishing among people who didn't know fishing existed yet, good times had by all.

Generation 2- leading posters were shuke, gm, scoobygang, shining path, bigbottom, oh and by the way, shick! and Joe. Lots of smart, funny people leading the way in posts.

Generation 3 - the cliques. Obc wanted to talk about their clique but shick wouldn't let them. 11 started dominating every thread and posting funny stories, but they were all really entertaining guys. Joe, scupper, jzilla, shuke, gm, bagger, tre, tu and such. Pickles appeared out of nowhere, because he had never posted here before. Labs had all the smart funny guys, like smoo, fatguy, shiny, scoob, biggie. If we had a politics thread, and we had plenty, it was dominated by smart, funny people. I know I'm leaving some great ones out.

Generation 4 - leading posters were zartan, mini zartan, mr. Dingles, zippy. It got a little silly with all the post padding but the main guys were still the main guys. This is also when some of the great posters emerged, guys like tanner and bentley and tufnel and Norwood and Norville and some of the early :e: guys. Another really fun group.

The generation after that took a major blow when shick stepped down. Then came the second bush election and it became all about politics, with thoughtful but one sided posters like Bueno, ncc, yankeefan23, Andy dufresne and Co taking center stage. Still a bright, funny lot, and the good posters stuck around quite a bit, but the politics became a major part of the forum.

Then towards the end of bush's second term, bgp was on full display, tyrranosaurusing his way around threads in his own, off kilter but never boring way. Some other topics spawned like werewolf threads, running threads, threads about video games, threads about tv shows or movies or books or bands or whatever. We had had so many drafts that they were no longer must read. Threads moved so quick that you no longer even tried to read most of the topics on page one. The community had become a bunch of sub communities, the top posters were getting older, and the new stewards of the forum were not as good.

Now instead of fucla debating Yankeefan over states rights and the whole forum reading shiny's post that this was like the Lincoln Douglas debates but with dumb people, there were actual dumb people involved. Actually dumb dumb people. Dumb dumbs. Politics threads had become a bunch of one sided people arguing red vs blue over and over and over again. The smart, funny people withdrew.

And then Tim showed up.

And from that moment, with Tim creating threads about that thing ayn rand said once, or that criticism that that other guy had about communism, or the things people say about Hitler, or a draft of boring people from Borington, or what this president did or that candidate said they would do, the conversation got a little smarter, a lot less fun, and a lot more prevalent.

Tim, you fish with dynamite in a school full of red and blue piranha. You throw bait in there and watch the worst of the worst rip it apart with their unsurprising opinions that they got from their same talking points and just when it seems like a new and interesting thought might appear, you post something intended to make it all about you again. It's impossible for the smart and funny people to get a word in edgewise even without you in the thread, but when you're active in a thread it makes it worthless for anyone else to try.

A lot of the great posters have left the board. Some died, some were banned, some got real jobs or just left or don't post as much or whatever. That left a void and by pressing as much as you do you became the self appointed steward of this Generation. But you don't pay funny threads. I'm told you make funny posts and I've even seem a few but you're starting this board in your direction at a time when nobody else is stepping up to steer it in their direction. You get the occasional eminence or blue magic, but the board craps all over them. A lot of posters hole up in their own little threads about the NBA or game of thrones or this video game or whatever. But of the few general interest threads that are started these days, a high percentage are started by you, and they're very rarely fun or funny. That makes people hole up more in their specialized threads, and post less in other threads, and fewer people start threads, and the place is just getting boringer and boringer.

I don't think that's all your fault by any means, but if you continue to make yourself the center of attention, you have some power over the direction of the board and the direction you've taken it is not fun. I know that other people could start fun threads or do more to fix the place but you have the mic. Use it for good not evil.
How you been buddy? Man it is good just seeing some of the old names again. Glad you posted.

I don't mean this as criticism as I've spent a lot of time here over the years but damn you have to wonder what else you could have done with all that time. It's at the same time impressive and kind of sad.

Tim is a naive, pseudo intellectual who can't hold a position on anything. He gets plenty of feedback in his threads, so starting this one is nothing but a "look at me." Everything is always about you.
I actually hesitated before starting this thread, because I was concerned this would be the reaction. If you go back and look and the threads that I have started (and yes, there are a lot of them) very very few are ever about me. This was one of the first in years, and it will hopefully be the last in years. I was looking for advice, which I got, but the truth is that I don't find myself to be an interesting topic of conversation.

I actually hesitated before starting this thread, because I was concerned this would be the reaction. If you go back and look and the threads that I have started (and yes, there are a lot of them) very very few are ever about me. This was one of the first in years, and it will hopefully be the last in years. I was looking for advice, which I got, but the truth is that I don't find myself to be an interesting topic of conversation.
Well, maybe that's something you can do something about.

Eat sandwiches with expired mayo like Scoresman, become amateur weatherman, like the Sheikh, start a restaurant like pollardsvision, glumpy and tipsy, Get accosted by scary hispanics like Bucky, anything. Or (preferably) something completely different. Live a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim is a little like Del Griffith...annoys the hell out of you but you come to like him because he means no harm.
:lmao: :goodposting:

Like I said, Tim doesn't bother me until the Tim stalkers get him going, and the thread just gets completely derailed. Pages and pages of debating Tim and only Tim, while some other thoughtful posts get lost forever. Despite calling many of you morons, I actually only think about 20 of you actually are. Sometimes I like to read about someone who has subject matter expertise, but instead I'm watching some of the aforementioned morons debate with Tim for three ####### days!

Tim>stop taking the bait! End of story! You know the people I'm talking about, lay out one response to them and then let them chase you around. Leave some space for the Leroy Hoards and Arn City Panderers to do what they do best: making threads better.

Tim you are still clear in gun control, religious-centric, and abortion threads. There are no winners or losers in those debates, and I never enter those threads. :bye:

Timschochet reminds me of LHUCKS in that the FFA gets all spun up about and upset about these guys and I'm never quite sure why. It's like this irresistible trap and the board just can't help but be sucked in.

:shrug:
I never quite got the TimHate either.

Even in the drafts, he routinely took a beating, and I didn't understand it there as well.
Some people have issues is what it is and have nothing better to do than to harp on tim over and over. Most people who consider tims posts annoying or whatever can move on, maybe hit the ignore button on him, but these people cant do that for some reason. hell, a prominent poster on this board one time took things way too far with me, even posting threatening things on my profile and such. its the same thing. Oh look i just made the thread about me.
I once had one of you lunatics find me on Facebook and start messaging me there with bizarre threats. The funny part is of course the guy would never in a century do that to my face, but he was a superhero on the web. I let it go given that I have a family, but in a different life in which I don't have kids to protect, I'd have invited him over and filmed whatever went down. He probably would have tried to secks me. The weirdest part is that to this day I have no idea what set him off....

Bottom line: many of yall are totally insane. Some of yall are awesome.

Generation 1 - leading posters were domerjohn, saheeb's warrior, bash monkey, Joe t, etc. Lots of funny topics, some funny fishing among people who didn't know fishing existed yet, good times had by all.

Generation 2- leading posters were shuke, gm, scoobygang, shining path, bigbottom, oh and by the way, shick! and Joe. Lots of smart, funny people leading the way in posts.

Generation 3 - the cliques. Obc wanted to talk about their clique but shick wouldn't let them. 11 started dominating every thread and posting funny stories, but they were all really entertaining guys. Joe, scupper, jzilla, shuke, gm, bagger, tre, tu and such. Pickles appeared out of nowhere, because he had never posted here before. Labs had all the smart funny guys, like smoo, fatguy, shiny, scoob, biggie. If we had a politics thread, and we had plenty, it was dominated by smart, funny people. I know I'm leaving some great ones out.

Generation 4 - leading posters were zartan, mini zartan, mr. Dingles, zippy. It got a little silly with all the post padding but the main guys were still the main guys. This is also when some of the great posters emerged, guys like tanner and bentley and tufnel and Norwood and Norville and some of the early :e: guys. Another really fun group.

The generation after that took a major blow when shick stepped down. Then came the second bush election and it became all about politics, with thoughtful but one sided posters like Bueno, ncc, yankeefan23, Andy dufresne and Co taking center stage. Still a bright, funny lot, and the good posters stuck around quite a bit, but the politics became a major part of the forum.

Then towards the end of bush's second term, bgp was on full display, tyrranosaurusing his way around threads in his own, off kilter but never boring way. Some other topics spawned like werewolf threads, running threads, threads about video games, threads about tv shows or movies or books or bands or whatever. We had had so many drafts that they were no longer must read. Threads moved so quick that you no longer even tried to read most of the topics on page one. The community had become a bunch of sub communities, the top posters were getting older, and the new stewards of the forum were not as good.

Now instead of fucla debating Yankeefan over states rights and the whole forum reading shiny's post that this was like the Lincoln Douglas debates but with dumb people, there were actual dumb people involved. Actually dumb dumb people. Dumb dumbs. Politics threads had become a bunch of one sided people arguing red vs blue over and over and over again. The smart, funny people withdrew.

And then Tim showed up.

And from that moment, with Tim creating threads about that thing ayn rand said once, or that criticism that that other guy had about communism, or the things people say about Hitler, or a draft of boring people from Borington, or what this president did or that candidate said they would do, the conversation got a little smarter, a lot less fun, and a lot more prevalent.

Tim, you fish with dynamite in a school full of red and blue piranha. You throw bait in there and watch the worst of the worst rip it apart with their unsurprising opinions that they got from their same talking points and just when it seems like a new and interesting thought might appear, you post something intended to make it all about you again. It's impossible for the smart and funny people to get a word in edgewise even without you in the thread, but when you're active in a thread it makes it worthless for anyone else to try.

A lot of the great posters have left the board. Some died, some were banned, some got real jobs or just left or don't post as much or whatever. That left a void and by pressing as much as you do you became the self appointed steward of this Generation. But you don't pay funny threads. I'm told you make funny posts and I've even seem a few but you're starting this board in your direction at a time when nobody else is stepping up to steer it in their direction. You get the occasional eminence or blue magic, but the board craps all over them. A lot of posters hole up in their own little threads about the NBA or game of thrones or this video game or whatever. But of the few general interest threads that are started these days, a high percentage are started by you, and they're very rarely fun or funny. That makes people hole up more in their specialized threads, and post less in other threads, and fewer people start threads, and the place is just getting boringer and boringer.

I don't think that's all your fault by any means, but if you continue to make yourself the center of attention, you have some power over the direction of the board and the direction you've taken it is not fun. I know that other people could start fun threads or do more to fix the place but you have the mic. Use it for good not evil.
you know, this is a great post.......not to speak for a large chunk of people, but many of us with common interests, tired of overmoderation, decided to simply start a chat. no need to deal with LAM morons and 57,674 OFFICIAL threads. diverse opinions, great stories, mutual respect.

You seem like a good guy but your posts are entirely way too ####ing long so I just usually skip what you say.

I do that with a lot of people though. In general, a lot of folks here need to say a whole lot less

You seem like a good guy but your posts are entirely way too ####ing long so I just usually skip what you say.

I do that with a lot of people though. In general, a lot of folks here need to say a whole lot less
Member name Posts

rockaction 12

timschochet 10

TheIronSheik 8

Scoresman 5

McGarnicle 5

Walking Boot 4

Chemical X 4

mr roboto 3

glock 3

Reginald Cornsilks 2

shadyridr 2

CurlyNight 2

Doctor Detroit 2

Mr. Know-It-All 2

ClownCausedChaos2 2

Ditkaless Wonders 2

Gr00vus 2

Olaf 2

Fennis 2

Ilov80s 2

fantasycurse42 2

Otis 2

bostonfred 2

msommer 2

Bogeys 1

Jefferson the Caregiver 1

urbanhack 1

Buddy Ball 2K3 1

Ookie Pringle 1

jwb 1

AAABatteries 1

sbonomo 1

Aaron Rudnicki 1

SWC 1

Al O'Pecia 1

3C's 1

joffer 1

trogg78 1

squistion 1

NetnautX 1

Premier 1

avoiding injuries 1

Todd Andrews 1

krista4 1

eoMMan 1

coyote5 1

Henry Ford 1

LarryAllen'sJockstrap 1

kutta 1

CletiusMaximus 1

johnnycakes 1

GoFishTN 1

sublimeone 1

Cliff Clavin 1

-jb- 1

Harry Manback 1

Officer Pete Malloy 1

Courtjester 1

John Bender 1

UniAlias 1

Spin 1

jamny 1

Da Guru 1

fatness 1

And then Tim showed up.

This is a great post, which is not a rare occurrence from bfred. However, the post padding was awesome. Don't hate.

Timschochet reminds me of LHUCKS in that the FFA gets all spun up about and upset about these guys and I'm never quite sure why. It's like this irresistible trap and the board just can't help but be sucked in.

:shrug:
I never quite got the TimHate either.

Even in the drafts, he routinely took a beating, and I didn't understand it there as well.
Some people have issues is what it is and have nothing better to do than to harp on tim over and over. Most people who consider tims posts annoying or whatever can move on, maybe hit the ignore button on him, but these people cant do that for some reason. hell, a prominent poster on this board one time took things way too far with me, even posting threatening things on my profile and such. its the same thing. Oh look i just made the thread about me.
I once had one of you lunatics find me on Facebook and start messaging me there with bizarre threats. The funny part is of course the guy would never in a century do that to my face, but he was a superhero on the web. I let it go given that I have a family, but in a different life in which I don't have kids to protect, I'd have invited him over and filmed whatever went down. He probably would have tried to secks me. The weirdest part is that to this day I have no idea what set him off....

Bottom line: many of yall are totally insane. Some of yall are awesome.
Did I never apologize for that? Sorry, my Otislust made me a little crazy.

Tim,

This thread and OP are actually a shinning example of what annoys people.

You don't need to start a new thread each time an interesting thought pops into your head. You don't need to start repetitive threads. You don't need to dominate every discussion with the same, inflammatory opinions. You don't need to constantly assume the beliefs of others and project your strawmen onto them.

You do all of the above incessantly despite people pointing this out to you.

It is hard to avoid the conclusion that you are just fishing, because you do seem like a pretty intelligent guy. However, maybe you're just bored and don't have a lot of people to discuss these things with. You've implied as much on some occasions, like in this thread when you talk about your job.

My suggestion is for you to make better use of a lot of this discretionary time. Listen to podcasts instead of talk radio. Take courses on Udacity or Coursera instead of posting here sometimes. You view FBG as some type of high quality discussion place compared to other trash. Realize that there are even greater forums for expression of ideas, even if they are not internet message boards. Then, maybe, you'll enter discussions with a more nuanced, reasoned point instead of fitting everything into your priors.

That's my two cents anyways. Good luck on your journey.

-Slapdash

Fine, I'll say it. I feel like I basically ran this place for a couple of years in or around 2008 and I can't believe I didn't make Fred's post. How quickly memories fade.

Fine, I'll say it. I feel like I basically ran this place for a couple of years in or around 2008 and I can't believe I didn't make Fred's post. How quickly memories fade.
Not ringing a bell. Did you maybe have another user name?

Actually Otis is a great example for you Tim. You don't have to be bright or funny, just be fun. Or if you can't do that, just post like someone who used to be fun. It's like a case study for people who want to almost be memorable enough to make my list.

Actually Otis is a great example for you Tim. You don't have to be bright or funny, just be fun. Or if you can't do that, just post like someone who used to be fun. It's like a case study for people who want to almost be memorable enough to make my list.
:lmao:

Top5 funnest poster imo

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think that some of the criticism is that off base. Reginald Cornsilks, avoiding injuries and Groovus in particular have given me much to consider...
Hasn't this been done before? You state you will try and change yet nothing does. People have offered helpful advice in the past and for a day or two you may listen but then it is back to the same routine.
i think this criticism is also true. I have tried to change somewhat here, and I have failed in the past. I am who I am. But I really agree that it is unnecessary for me to always state my opinion- I really am just as interested in other people's opinions. I'm going to try withholding my own POV and instead try to encourage others to clarify theirs. That can also lead, hopefully, to interesting discussions and debates (which is my goal) without the appearance of me trying to dominate the conversation.
1) No need to do this. Just listen for a week. No posts. Let the threads take their own course. I enjoy reading the debates from both sides of an issue.... and then the thread derails and becomes about you. Over and over and over. Please quit defining how threads unfold.

Cappy chem x Sacamano fullback fro and the yesno polls Urbanhack furley darkbloom beckster invisigirl Woz yes I said it woz Tiger fan gator man Nigel Randall146 rfw cosjobs frosty boom king offdee b deep Harry manback keys myaths chet zesty dentist assanI (jwvdcw) Mr ham nipsey krista strykerpks st Louis Bob finless saintfool saints man saints fan da raider fan Scotty doesn't bo village idiot ratpfink half of Obc that I forgot idiot boxer da guru chrisco the nod the noid number 1 fan of Ghana soccer bored stormtrooper aerial assault gruecd sexy Ned Flanders/KTM righettI

That's a partial list of people who didn't demand to be on that list, and I'm posting from memory after a quarter box of franzia world classics chablis.

Tim doesn't seem like a bad guy , he's a blowhard but I'm not ready to say he has smartest guy in the room syndrome

#1 Fan of Ghana Soccer?
I do believe there is an alias called #1 Fan of Ghana Soccer. He or she shows up during World Cups, because we always seem to be pitted against Ghana in some shape or fashion the past four-eight years. :towelwave:

tim's cool by us.

Sincerely,

Long-term alias holders and troll baiters
You seem a little paranoid.
It's possible. We've already had a long-timer admit to fishing trips being the standard of the board for a long time. Fishing trips, when excellently done, are funny, but they're best left in the hands of the experts because they're borderline immoral plays at identity power and polemics. I think Tim, by virtue of "his" argumentative style and substance, is indeed an expert and a fisherman. I'm really not obsessed with him; I just got drunk today and will get exasperated with him in the political threads when there's rightful criticism of this particular style.

There are great posters on here with obvious aliases from way back when. I'm also not sold on how great "way back when" was. I've read those old threads. A lot of the people here are hyper-smart. Perhaps it could be a lot better, but I've also seen a lot of watered-down comedic talking points about politics get praised as not only great humor, but as astute political commentary. I'm not sure this is fully the case.

I'm not too demonstrative about it, and probably drunk, but that's what I see. And it's not so much a direct attack on "tim" as it is on this board's practice of fishing and aliases and trolling. Of course it's less fun and people would like me to say less about it, but nah, I'll pass on that option. Some of us come here earnestly, have left trails to our real lives, etc. Watching people go through hoops to identity jack and fish is lame.

Cappy chem x Sacamano fullback fro and the yesno polls Urbanhack furley darkbloom beckster invisigirl Woz yes I said it woz Tiger fan gator man Nigel Randall146 rfw cosjobs frosty boom king offdee b deep Harry manback keys myaths chet zesty dentist assanI (jwvdcw) Mr ham nipsey krista strykerpks st Louis Bob finless saintfool saints man saints fan da raider fan Scotty doesn't bo village idiot ratpfink half of Obc that I forgot idiot boxer da guru chrisco the nod the noid number 1 fan of Ghana soccer bored stormtrooper aerial assault gruecd sexy Ned Flanders/KTM righettI

That's a partial list of people who didn't demand to be on that list, and I'm posting from memory after a quarter box of franzia world classics chablis.
:bows:Edit: also read this to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Haven't read this thread but yeah...

You're incredibly annoying. That was a thread that I thought would be interesting and I had been checking on. Until I saw you start in, like you always do. And I never went back. It's just accepted, what you do, and now that you've got me realizing it (hey, you asked), I do this all the time with you. And there must be many others here that check out when you check-in.

You do seem like a nice guy, but how many years have you been doing it, Tim? And how many people have expressed over and over and over again, for you to stop. Or at least curtail your behavior? I guess what's most baffling to me is how none of it ever gets through to you. Children will finally realize that certain behaviors of theirs are not being accepted and stop.

I'm sorry if that's a bit harsh but again, you asked. You absolutely drive a lot of people away. HTH (but when has it?).

:bows:Edit: also read this to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire"
Did this as well. :lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread