What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

To those who cannot stand Michael Irvin (1 Viewer)

LOL @ all the Irvin haters. You chumps all have egg on your face big time.

Irvin says the pipe belongs to a friend of his. Case closed.
And you buy this? :lmao: I don't know if you have kids but if/when you do, you are going to be :own3d: when they become teenagers.
I thought Norville was being facecious. Apparently that's not the consensus.

LOL @ all the Irvin haters. You chumps all have egg on your face big time.

Irvin says the pipe belongs to a friend of his. Case closed.
And you buy this? :lmao: I don't know if you have kids but if/when you do, you are going to be :own3d: when they become teenagers.
I don't know, but I think it was Norville sarcasm. :shrug:
My quick take. This blows over and Irvin keeps his job.

Not saying that's the right thing or the wrong thing. I'm saying I think that's what happens.

J
Man I hope you're wrong.3

Is anybody really suprised by this? Part of me is sad for Irvin and his overall career and how he continues to make bad decision after bad decision. But a part of me is somewhat amused. Here is a guy who is outspoken on everybody and everything and cherishes how he is perceived. Regardless of any repurscussions his words may have to anybody else, he always justifies himself by saying 'I call it how I sees it' and 'a spade is a spade.'I cannot speak for everyone, but the way I see it is, Irvin appears to be a spade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not saying that's the right thing or the wrong thing. I'm saying I think that's what happens.

J
I agree.Limbaugh criticizes the media roundly for their obsession with making a black QB into a superstar when they aren't & he gets axed (and I'm not supporting Limbaugh because I still don't know what the hell he was doing on a football show), but Irvin gets caught redhanded for multiple drug offenses - not to mention some really poor analysis & commentary about football - & goes merrily on his irrational way.

Talk about racist. People accept Irvin's behavior & inane comments precisely because of the color he is. It's the elephant-in-the-room type of thing.

what was the paraphanalia? What sort of "pipe"

what was the paraphanalia?
I don't know, but I am pretty sure a piece of paper with Nate Newton's cell phone number on it could be considered drug paraphanalia at this point.Go Cowboys!

What is this Iran? It's unreal how quick people are to toss stones. Bunch of effing hypocrites.
No, this is the United States. That means we are free to voice our opinions, even if they don't agree with yours.

J
Talk about racist. People accept Irvin's behavior & inane comments precisely because of the color he is. It's the elephant-in-the-room type of thing.
Nice job calling yourself out with that stupid statement. What is it about his behavior and his comments (based precisely on race) that we need to "accept"?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5116306
Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.
Nice. His friend was doing drugs ,at his house, with his kids around. He should be father of the year.Why couldn't he just have thrown it in the trash at his house??? Liar.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5116306

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.
Nice. His friend was doing drugs ,at his house, with his kids around.

He should be father of the year.

Why couldn't he just have thrown it in the trash at his house??? Liar.
I like the part where his friend just got out of rehab ! Irvin was helping him out with the transition I guess. "Hey buddy now that you're out of rehab why don't you come over for thanksgiving and we can smoke some crack after dinner". Irvin should be fired strictly based on the fact that he is a moron.

Nice job calling yourself out with that stupid statement. What is it about his behavior and his comments (based precisely on race) that we need to "accept"?
Well, you may consider Irvin's take on football, T.O., and various & sundry topics insightful nuances that provide stirring thoughts.I, on the other hand, and the people I've talked to (as well as many here based upon the reaction to him when his name comes up) consider his "insightful" claptrap nonsense, and his bling-bling homey-don't-go-there attitude & style is an insult to any football fan, much less providing more fodder for the black-athlete stereotype.It's an unabated insult a black man like Irvin would be allowed to portray the clown-like loud-mouthed buffoon image that Irvin does on public television for a NFL related show.Calling myself out? By thinking that a black man can contribute more than what Irvin's tiresome & sophmoric boy-in-the-hood schtick does? Explain further, if you please. Enlighten me.

So he was just on ESPN radio.Quick summary of his comments..."I'll do whatever I can to clear my name except take a drug test."I really want to believe him, but based on how he was acting on the show, I don't.

It is probably passed the time limit, but I would think part of Irvin's parole/probation forbade him hanging out with guys just leaving rehab.

It is probably passed the time limit, but I would think part of Irvin's parole/probation forbade him hanging out with guys just leaving rehab.
I thought only got 4 years probation in his 1996 plea deal. I could be wrong...

So he was just on ESPN radio.

Quick summary of his comments...

"I'll do whatever I can to clear my name except take a drug test."

I really want to believe him, but based on how he was acting on the show, I don't.
That's what I took from it. He's scared of the legalities :no: . If you want to keep your job/reputation, you take the test.He did act/sound weird. Glad Dan got right to the point with this questions and comments.

Somewhere Tom Jackson is smiling.

Great comment by Dan: "You do know alcoholics and drug abusers are some of the best liars out there, right?"Irvin: "Are they?"C'mon. For a guy that's dealt with this himself & supposedly now friends & said he had foundations for people dealing with this, shouldn't he know this?? I found it ironic he responded "Are they?" in this instance where he's dealing with a friend he's 'helping' to get clean.Smells fishy & I think he'll try to buy all the time in the world, but he'll no longer be at ESPN soon.

That's what I took from it. He's scared of the legalities :no: . If you want to keep your job/reputation, you take the test.
Has ESPN said he will keep his job if he takes a drug test? If not, why would he take a drug test?

Calling myself out? By thinking that a black man can contribute more than what Irvin's tiresome & sophmoric boy-in-the-hood schtick does? Explain further, if you please. Enlighten me.
I'd like to think that there's more than one way for a black man to act. I don't think people that don't dig Irvin are racist, but I certainly don't think we need every analyst to repeat the same claptrap everyone else does.What, should ESPN find another guy to go on air and act as if Terrell Owens were a cross between Hitler and Genghis Khan? The 50 who've already weighed in on that opinion aren't enough?

The one thing I admire about Irvin is that he's not afraid to speak a singular truth about sports. Selfish, egotistical jerks can be great players. They can be the hardest workers on a team. Jerry Rice was a jerk. Eric Dickerson was a jerk. Emmitt Smith knew how to say the right things, but he wanted the ball. If I can extend the discussion to coaches, Bill Parcells is unquestionably a jerk. Ditka, in addition to often being a jerk as a coach, is now a sanctimonious jerk. So what?

FYI...Irvin is a sub contracter for ESPN, not an employee. They can't require a drug test in this instance but can fire him at will.

One other ironic part of the interview...

Irvin: I've been transparent the entire time.
I just listened to the clip from the radio show and this line stuck out to me as well. He didn't sound very convincing and kudos to Dan Patrick for not lobbing softballs.

Nice job calling yourself out with that stupid statement.  What is it about his behavior and his comments (based precisely on race) that we need to "accept"?
Well, you may consider Irvin's take on football, T.O., and various & sundry topics insightful nuances that provide stirring thoughts.I, on the other hand, and the people I've talked to (as well as many here based upon the reaction to him when his name comes up) consider his "insightful" claptrap nonsense, and his bling-bling homey-don't-go-there attitude & style is an insult to any football fan, much less providing more fodder for the black-athlete stereotype.

It's an unabated insult a black man like Irvin would be allowed to portray the clown-like loud-mouthed buffoon image that Irvin does on public television for a NFL related show.

Calling myself out? By thinking that a black man can contribute more than what Irvin's tiresome & sophmoric boy-in-the-hood schtick does? Explain further, if you please. Enlighten me.
There's nothing to enlighten you on here. You make an excellent point and 85% of the people in this thread and on this board agree with you. The other 15% are Dallas Fans that can't admit things like Aikman was just an average QB that didn't make a lot of mistakes and that most of the team spent a great deal of time at the White House. Not where the president lives. The White House in Dallas was where the players kept a bunch of hookers to use at their discretion. But hey, don't knock America's Team because no matter how much evidence exists that shows what kind of major problems a lot of these guys had (have?), most blind Dallas fans would still rather have their children learn values and ethics from them than Mother Theresa....

Just another case of of the Man keeping a hard working brother down. Mike keeps it real every Sunday and Monday evening on ESPN like no other talking head can.His knowlage of the game is second to none,not to mention the intelligent debate he brings to the show. :) Just kiddingMike is a crackhead .Also I would slam my kcid in a car door ratherthen listen to his moronic rants. :thumbdown: Irvin is a clown and firing him will only improve their show.One last thing,get your damn hand off my arm. :P

There's nothing to enlighten you on here. You make an excellent point and 85% of the people in this thread and on this board agree with you. The other 15% are Dallas Fans that can't admit things like Aikman was just an average QB that didn't make a lot of mistakes and that most of the team spent a great deal of time at the White House.
I'm a Redskins fan. I hate Dallas with a fiery passion. And I think the amount of vitriol that Irvin inspires around here is unseemly. I don't think he's particularly insightful, but then again I don't think Tom Jackson or Rod Woodson are either. I don't give credit because a guy "speaks well" if he's just parroting some group think.I certainly understand having a visceral dislike for an analyst. Mine is for Joe Theisman. I'd prefer to have him never call another game. I just think the intensity and character of the dislike shown around here transcends that shown other lousy announcers/analysts. I imagine a lot of that stems from the self promotion and "me-first" attitude Irvin is thought to symbolize. I get that. But like it or not, the NFL is populated with some of those types and not all of them are bad teammates.

There's nothing to enlighten you on here.  You make an excellent point and 85% of the people in this thread and on this board agree with you.  The other 15% are Dallas Fans that can't admit things like Aikman was just an average QB that didn't make a lot of mistakes and that most of the team spent a great deal of time at the White House.
I'm a Redskins fan. I hate Dallas with a fiery passion. And I think the amount of vitriol that Irvin inspires around here is unseemly. I don't think he's particularly insightful, but then again I don't think Tom Jackson or Rod Woodson are either. I don't give credit because a guy "speaks well" if he's just parroting some group think.I certainly understand having a visceral dislike for an analyst. Mine is for Joe Theisman. I'd prefer to have him never call another game. I just think the intensity and character of the dislike shown around here transcends that shown other lousy announcers/analysts. I imagine a lot of that stems from the self promotion and "me-first" attitude Irvin is thought to symbolize. I get that. But like it or not, the NFL is populated with some of those types and not all of them are bad teammates.
well lets compare him to another self promoting black former great WR in Sterling Sharpe, shall we?Sharpe- nice guy, says dumb things, not a felon and not a crackhead

Irvin- nice guy, says dumb things, is a felon and is a crackhead

end of comparison.

Maybe some of us just don't get promoting a felon and crackhead to an elite status as an analyst in major media?

Maybe some of us just don't get promoting a felon and crackhead to an elite status as an analyst in major media?
Sure. And if you said similar things about Limbaugh and his Oxycontin abuse good on you. Just for reference, I DID react similarly to Limbaugh's substance abuse issues as I have to Irvin. With a collective shrug. I might have made a "do you have the cabbage" joke or two, but I certainly didn't join in some chorus for him to lose his job. None of which is to change the fact that I find the piling on to be distasteful. I fully support your right to call it like you see it. I'm just doing the same.I really don't care whether Michael Irvin does drugs anymore than I care that you used to. To the extent that it's against the law, I expect it be handled by the criminal justice system and not neccessarily by ESPN.

Hey, I expect ESPN to handle it as a business decision. If they think Irvin can't be replaced they'll keep him and wish him the best in rehab or whatever. I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do with Chris Berman. I don't think they'll extend Michael the same courtesy, which is their right.

Calling it now. Irvin skates through this and is not going anywhere. Get used to it.J

Calling it now. Irvin is not going anywhere. Get used to it.

J
Good Call.
Yea ... but it is the obvious one. No one is going to fire a black analyst, confronting the issue and being sincere (or trying to) on top of it all. Cummon, picking up a freind from rehab? And he has a crack pipe? and he didnt want to throw it away?

Pa - Lease!

Sure. And if you said similar things about Limbaugh and his Oxycontin abuse good on you. Just for reference, I DID react similarly to Limbaugh's substance abuse issues as I have to Irvin. With a collective shrug. I might have made a "do you have the cabbage" joke or two, but I certainly didn't join in some chorus for him to lose his job. None of which is to change the fact that I find the piling on to be distasteful. I fully support your right to call it like you see it. I'm just doing the same.I really don't care whether Michael Irvin does drugs anymore than I care that you used to. To the extent that it's against the law, I expect it be handled by the criminal justice system and not neccessarily by ESPN.

Hey, I expect ESPN to handle it as a business decision. If they think Irvin can't be replaced they'll keep him and wish him the best in rehab or whatever. I'm pretty sure that's what they'd do with Chris Berman. I don't think they'll extend Michael the same courtesy, which is their right.
well, there's some differences there for me, one I don't listen to blowhard Limbaugh and I hated it when he was on the football show just as much as I hate Irvin being on the show, mainly because neither one of them is likable or watchable, unless you personally enjoy trainwrecks on TV. I couldn't watch ESPN. In fact I haven't watched ESPN football pre-games hardly at all the last few years because it has gotten so bad. Another difference, I don't think Limbaugh is a felon, although his analysis on NFL matters was criminal. I think Irvin is lying, and that's my beef with him. Since he apparently has been sincere in trying to overcome his demons which is something I fully respect in a person including Irvin, I am disappointed in his obvious lies here today. As a former user, I can assure you with more than 100% certainty that nothing he claimed today is true and that he is using again. That is sad. The guy was at times entertaining but when he was smoking TO's pole on national TV week after week I kind of soured on him. Now that he's reached full Chernobyl meltdown, I'd rather ESPN did him a favor and fire him and force him to face reality once again.

Users who are viewing this thread