What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tomlin won't guarantee Big Ben the qb when he returns (1 Viewer)

You never know. I bet Drew Bledsoe thought he was getting his job back in NE.
Tom Brady was an untested late rounder with some interesting intangibles and at least no huge, glaring flaws.Dennis Dixon can't throw. And Charlie Batch is going to turn 50 this year. I don't think we're dealing with a Pats situation here.

Most likely coach speak, but stranger things have happened. :unsure:

I'm guessing the Rooney's hope Dixon plays lights out...

1000% Coach Speak. Right message to the team, right message to a player where they are trying to improve his conduct. But unless he screws up again the job his obviously his. He's wearin' a ring. Proven that he can get 'em to the promised land.

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.

Seems to me like there was lots of downside to saying this and very little upside. Which makes me ask the question - why would he say it?. I don't believe for one second that Dixon needs any motivation.

J

Most likely coach speak, but stranger things have happened. :excited:I'm guessing the Rooney's hope Dixon plays lights out...
I'm also guessing if there is even the slightest bit of truth to this, it is coming from the Rooneys. They have been really unhappy with Ben's off the field issues and probably feel like he has shamed the organization.

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.Seems to me like there was lots of downside to saying this and very little upside. Which makes me ask the question - why would he say it?. I don't believe for one second that Dixon needs any motivation.J
I agree with Joe's sentiments here also.

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.Seems to me like there was lots of downside to saying this and very little upside. Which makes me ask the question - why would he say it?. I don't believe for one second that Dixon needs any motivation.J
Maybe it's directed more at Ben, so he doesn't feel such a sense of entitlement. Couple this with the vote of no confidence from his teammates who didn't vote him captain and maybe this will be more motivation for Ben to keep his head on straight, that he hasn't been "forgiven" yet.

I was going to answer, but these guys already said it:
1000% Coach Speak. Right message to the team, right message to a player where they are trying to improve his conduct. But unless he screws up again the job his obviously his. He's wearin' a ring. Proven that he can get 'em to the promised land.
I'm also guessing if there is even the slightest bit of truth to this, it is coming from the Rooneys. They have been really unhappy with Ben's off the field issues and probably feel like he has shamed the organization.

I was going to answer, but these guys already said it:
Curious as to why folks would think it's the right message to the team? J

Don't.There're more levels to motivation than simply trotting out onto the gridiron and trying your best. It's in the whole team's best interest if Tomlin not only says this, but MEANS it, and more importantly, can convince Dixon he does. We pretty much all know that there's no real way Dixon unseats Roethlisberger. But Dixon is a professional-caliber athlete who really ought to have every reason in the world to believe in himself and his abilities. If he thinks there's even a teensy chance that IF he goes 4-0 and IF he looks good getting the team there, that he could suddenly find himself on the fast track to a fifty million dollar payday someplace, he may well be just that little extra bit motivated to learn more of the playbook, pay just a tinge more attention to the constructive criticism of his position coach, spend a little extra time throwing with his wideouts after practice, etc.And if he does, the team benefits. Period.Whether getting the call for relief duty is "all the motivation" a guy should need or not, there's a very real and very human tendency to work a little harder if you feel there's some hope of additional reward at the end of the tunnel.

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.
Totally agreed on this one. If I were Dixon I wouldn't be playing to unseat Ben, I'd be playing for a chance at a future starting gig somewhere else.
Seems to me like there was lots of downside to saying this and very little upside. Which makes me ask the question - why would he say it?. I don't believe for one second that Dixon needs any motivation.

J
I don't see the downside. But, let's pretend Dixon plays lights out. Better than Ben played last year and the team rallies with no losses. It wouldn't shock me in the least if the franchise that tends to not put up with loser antics decides to ditch Ben in that situation. I don't expect DD to play that well but the Brady situation isn't that far off the mark.

What about a guy who's just keeping the seat warm until the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers returns from suspension?The guy couldn't even beat out Leftwhich w/ out help from an injury. Even if he goes on to throw 3 touchdowns per week (and I certainly hope he does) and the Steelers are 4-0 after the BYE, I still think the reigns get handed over to BigBen w/ out hesitation.

Don't.There're more levels to motivation than simply trotting out onto the gridiron and trying your best. It's in the whole team's best interest if Tomlin not only says this, but MEANS it, and more importantly, can convince Dixon he does. We pretty much all know that there's no real way Dixon unseats Roethlisberger. But Dixon is a professional-caliber athlete who really ought to have every reason in the world to believe in himself and his abilities. If he thinks there's even a teensy chance that IF he goes 4-0 and IF he looks good getting the team there, that he could suddenly find himself on the fast track to a fifty million dollar payday someplace, he may well be just that little extra bit motivated to learn more of the playbook, pay just a tinge more attention to the constructive criticism of his position coach, spend a little extra time throwing with his wideouts after practice, etc.And if he does, the team benefits. Period.Whether getting the call for relief duty is "all the motivation" a guy should need or not, there's a very real and very human tendency to work a little harder if you feel there's some hope of additional reward at the end of the tunnel.
I hear you. But if I'm Tomlin and I thought Dixon wasn't absolutely positively as motivated as a human could be for this, I'd cut him. If an unheralded player can't get jacked beyond words at the chance to be the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers, I want nothing to do with him.J

Last edited by a moderator:
Moreso to motivate Ben. In other words nothings guaranteed in this league and stop taking things for granted

If Dixon needs someone to motivate him in this situation he would have to be one of the dumbest football players on the planet. He has to realize it is chance to showcase himself for an extended period of time. Like I said before, if there is truth to this, the Rooneys have to be behind it. I remember some pretty harsh comments directed at him after this latest incident and there even being talks of trading him. So, I think it certainly reasonable that they would like nothing better for the team to play well without Big Ben.

:lmao:It wasn't said to motivate Dixon. It was said to send a message to Ben - that he'd better be ready come week 5 during the bye and not **** around for 4 weeks. And if anyone actually believes that Ben won't get his job back once he returns, they're delusional.

There are no safe positions on a football team, period. I don't think there was anything behind Tomlin's answer other than a refusal to answer any questions regarding future starters, which is simply a wise thing to do. Besides, who knows what will happen? I remember when a star named Trent Green went down in preseason, and the Rams were forced to go with a third string former bag boy at QB...

Tom Brady was an untested late rounder with some interesting intangibles and at least no huge, glaring flaws.Dennis Dixon can't throw. And Charlie Batch is going to turn 50 this year. I don't think we're dealing with a Pats situation here.
Bledsoe didn't have a cloud of being a "alleged" sexual predator about him either. Food for thought. The Rooneys value their image quite a bit.

J
;)

It wasn't said to motivate Dixon. It was said to send a message to Ben - that he'd better be ready come week 5 during the bye and not **** around for 4 weeks. And if anyone actually believes that Ben won't get his job back once he returns, they're delusional.
Be ready or what? What is the second half of the message? Be ready or what happens?

J
:mellow:

It wasn't said to motivate Dixon. It was said to send a message to Ben - that he'd better be ready come week 5 during the bye and not **** around for 4 weeks. And if anyone actually believes that Ben won't get his job back once he returns, they're delusional.
Be ready or what? What is the second half of the message? Be ready or what happens?
Honestly, probably nothing. He's basically bluffing. Dixon isn't a long-term starting QB and probably never will be.

But if Ben comes back looking like he hasn't done anything for 4 weeks and the team is winning then I wouldn't be shocked if he gave Dixon another week but there is no way it goes on much longer than that.

I doubt it makes much difference either way. Ben isn't going to get lazy after all of this and the team is likely to be 1-3 after the first 4 games.

I haven't seen a transcript of the interview on Sirius, but ESPN is really stretching things:

When asked if Roethlisberger would regain his starting job upon his return, Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio: "I'm going to dodge that one and not artfully," according to USA Today."I'm not going to back myself in a corner."
That's hardly a declarative statement that can be thrown back in Tomlin's face. Sounds like he just didn't want to fully answer the question and hadn't really thought about a tactful answer.If anything, I could see this just being a power thing, with the coach letting Ben know who's in charge. But we all know Big Ben is playing as soon as he can.

Curious as to why folks would think it's the right message to the team? J
Because every position on the team is always up for grabs. More importantly, because screwing around and getting suspended in the offseason is a big deal - Santonio get shipped out of town, and Roethlisberger is going to have to play for his job when he gets back. Because you don't get handed the opportunity to be the quarterback - or starting left guard - or long snapper - or anyone who makes the 53 man roster andd just watched his good friends get cut - of arguably the most successful franchise in league history. You work for it. It's the right message, but realistically, it's not going to happen. Parcells used to drop a veteran just to get the locker room's attention. Belichick dropped Milloy like a bad habit. He also replaced Bledsoe with Brady, but as has been mentioned in this thread, the Steelers don't have Tom Brady. They have Dixon.

J
:football:

Honestly, probably nothing. He's basically bluffing. Dixon isn't a long-term starting QB and probably never will be.

But if Ben comes back looking like he hasn't done anything for 4 weeks and the team is winning then I wouldn't be shocked if he gave Dixon another week but there is no way it goes on much longer than that.

I doubt it makes much difference either way. Ben isn't going to get lazy after all of this and the team is likely to be 1-3 after the first 4 games.
He hired a personal qb coach to keep him sharp during the 4 week layoff.

Tomlin has a history of messing with the media.

Assume ALL of the following things have happened entering Pittsburgh's week 5 bye:

- The Steelers are 4-0.

- Dixon has a 10-1 TD/INT ratio, a 126.5 QB rating and he tacked on 150 yards rushing.

- Morale is high in the locker room.

- Dixon saves a big box of puppies from a fire, then gives Tomlin's wife a ride home after her car breaks down in the rain.

I don't see how it would be laughable to envision Dixon keeping the job until further notice.

Short of most of that happening, Ben is back under center.

So he's not a captain and now his coach won't back him up either, it seems like the your not bigger than the Team or the Game schtick is going on in Pittsburgh, and I for one think its great.

Unless Ben has sex with someone in a public bathroom in the next 5 weeks, there is zero chance that he doesn't regain the starting QB spot when he returns.

Assume ALL of the following things have happened entering Pittsburgh's week 5 bye:

- The Steelers are 4-0.

- Dixon has a 10-1 TD/INT ratio, a 126.5 QB rating and he tacked on 150 yards rushing.

- Morale is high in the locker room.

- Dixon saves a big box of puppies from a fire, then gives Tomlin's wife a ride home after her car breaks down in the rain.

I don't see how it would be laughable to envision Dixon keeping the job until further notice.

Short of most of that happening, Ben is back under center.
There is zero possibility that any of that happens (maybe the puppies and car ride). Even if it did, Ben gets his job back. Tomlin said nothing of the sort anyway.

Joe, the motivation is to make Dennis Dixon feel like it's his team. Also, if Pitt were to somehow start out 3-1, 4-0, then you add in that teammates stripped Ben of his team captain status...just because Ben comes back doesn't mean the Steelers are not seriously thinking of moving him after the suspension is gone and after this season. It sounds crazy but this organization does not follow the norm or what other teams/fans/media/owners want them to do which is one of the reasons they have 6 Lombardi Trophys and many teams have none. If they make Dixon feel like it's his team it also makes a mental awreness for the rest of the team. That Pitt defense cannot show up and think to themselves "We don't stand a chance without Ben", and they probably won't think that anyways but it sends a message to the rest of the team that we are going into battle with the 44 guys we have right now, forget about ben and if and when he comes back because I(Tomlin) might not even give him the job right away. Not a big Tomlin fan and feel he has slowly eroded a lot of the team and positions but I give him credit for coming out and saying this so that current payers on the team do not think losing is acceptable with Ben not in the game.

So he's not a captain and now his coach won't back him up either, it seems like the your not bigger than the Team or the Game schtick is going on in Pittsburgh, and I for one think its great.
Harrison and Reed also lost their captain status. Not all that surprising when you think about it.

That's exactly what I thought of when I came into this thread. Then I see 6-8 posts of 100% doubters. (Kudos to Joe for being the first non 100% doubter)If you think there's no chance a player could steal a job from an injured/suspended starter you are a fool.If you think a coach would say anything but "no guarantees" you are a fool.

Drew Bledsoe isn't the only guy this happened to.
Exactly.... How about Phil Sims?

I hear you. But if I'm Tomlin and I thought Dixon wasn't absolutely positively as motivated as a human could be for this, I'd cut him. If an unheralded player can't get jacked beyond words at the chance to be the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers, I want nothing to do with him.J
I haven't chimed in on the 'motivation' angle of this discussion yet, but I just want to point this out... There's a difference between motivation and confidence. Dixon could be 100% motivated, but less than 100% confident. It's entirely possible this could be a bump to his confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread