What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tomlin won't guarantee Big Ben the qb when he returns (1 Viewer)

Best case scenario for the Steelers IMO is that Dixon goes 3-1/4-0, buts gets benched for Ben anyway and Ben has a good season.

That would allow the Steelers to trade one of them (probably Dixon) in the off season for maximum value. Lefty would stay on as the back-up to whoever they keep.

roethlispuker is the best QB that the steelers have, therefore he will start when he comes back, period.
Even if they're 4-0?
If the Steelers are 4-0 with Dixon I'm pretty sure the coaching staff would realize that they also would be 4-0 with Ben. You play your best players period. Dixon is the 3rd string qb who is only playing because Ben is suspended and Leftwich is hurt. Leftwich might be back for game 3 anyways.
But see, in this hypothetical, they aren't 4-0 with Ben. They're 4-0 with Dixon. That would be the reality. And I think a 4-0 team would rally behind the young guy to keep the job over the guy with a lot of problems who let the team down by getting himself into trouble. I think the Steelers would LOVE to see Dixon claim the job, win all his games and never let it go. It would make getting rid of Ben a lot easier. He's a headache and a black eye for the team. He's also a very good quarterback who plays well under pressure. So they need someone special to replace him, and they'd be very happy if Dixon was that guy.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't think it's going to happen here. But I don't think Tomlin is keeping the spot open for Ben no matter what happens. I think he wants to leave that door open just in case. I also think Dixon knows that winning four games earns him a fifth game, and so on.

Again, I don't really see it happening. But if the team goes 4-0 I don't think you see Ben behind center in week six after the bye.
:thumbup: Ben will be under center come week 6 unless a meteor falls from the sky and lands on him. I guess it is a possibility.

I think this is obviously a meant to motivate Ben and Dixon and even Leftwitch to work as hard as possible.

But combine this and the captaincy I don't like Bens long term prospects in Pitt. I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded during the offseason if the Steelers have a bad year.

I think this is obviously a meant to motivate Ben and Dixon and even Leftwitch to work as hard as possible. But combine this and the captaincy I don't like Bens long term prospects in Pitt. I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded during the offseason if the Steelers have a bad year.
Not even a remote possibility.Steelers could wind up with the #1 and Locker staring them in the face and there is less than no chance they move Ben.

Joe Bryant said:
Happy Ragnarok said:
For the record, I think Dixon blows, and Charlie Batch is going to get three starts out of this mess.
I thought they'd start Batch this week. Why do you think they went with Dixon?J
The O-line gave up 53 sacks last season. Some of that is absolutely Roth's playing style. Some of it is that they simply aren't that talented in pass pro.Charlie Batch would not survive behind that line in Arians offense at this point in his career. Dixon's escapability and ability to extend the play earned him the starting gig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is obviously a meant to motivate Ben and Dixon and even Leftwitch to work as hard as possible. But combine this and the captaincy I don't like Bens long term prospects in Pitt. I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded during the offseason if the Steelers have a bad year.
Not even a remote possibility.Steelers could wind up with the #1 and Locker staring them in the face and there is less than no chance they move Ben.
:goodposting: The only way Ben is not the starting QB Steelers this season or next is injury or another off-the-field misstep.

why would Tomlin even make such a statement when he knows well enough that Ben is his starting QB?? it's such a transparent statement that you wonder why he'd even say it in the first place, seems like a waste of time..

:mellow:

why would Tomlin even make such a statement when he knows well enough that Ben is his starting QB?? it's such a transparent statement that you wonder why he'd even say it in the first place, seems like a waste of time.. :mellow:
Agreed although in Tomlin's defense it was really a non-statement. He never said that he wouldn't guarantee Roethlisberger would start when he returns. He only said that he was going to dodge the question.It was the media that began writing headlines like "Ben Roethlisberger's starting job isn't guaranteed"

i thought the trade of santonio signaled a shift away from the passing team of last season.

its no secret that this organization has always liked running. perhaps they have so much faith in mendenhall that they honestly don't think big ben is that important anymore.

i thought the trade of santonio signaled a shift away from the passing team of last season.

its no secret that this organization has always liked running. perhaps they have so much faith in mendenhall that they honestly don't think big ben is that important anymore.
:cry: You haven't seen the Steelers offensive line much have you?

only a couple games but he did average 4.6ypc

if youre referring to how many sacks ben takes thats simply because he loves to hold the ball

only a couple games but he did average 4.6ypc if youre referring to how many sacks ben takes thats simply because he loves to hold the ball
While it is true that Ben holds onto the ball too long on occasion it is also true that the offensive line has been bad since 2006. Ben has bailed out the offensive line more often than taking a sack. However I was actually referring to the run blocking -- Mendenhall had some nice games last season but overall the run blocking has left a lot to be desired. If you don't believe me ask any Steelers fan and they will tell you the same thing.

Most likely coach speak, but stranger things have happened. :unsure:I'm guessing the Rooney's hope Dixon plays lights out...
I'm also guessing if there is even the slightest bit of truth to this, it is coming from the Rooneys. They have been really unhappy with Ben's off the field issues and probably feel like he has shamed the organization.
Very good point, not a clincher, but certainly what came to my mind...If Ben missed 4 games to injury it would be a definite laughable suggestion. But the Steelers have already made moves based on character value this year so if Dixon plays lights out for 4 games, this story grows legs..

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.Seems to me like there was lots of downside to saying this and very little upside. Which makes me ask the question - why would he say it?. I don't believe for one second that Dixon needs any motivation.J
Maybe it's directed more at Ben, so he doesn't feel such a sense of entitlement. Couple this with the vote of no confidence from his teammates who didn't vote him captain and maybe this will be more motivation for Ben to keep his head on straight, that he hasn't been "forgiven" yet.
Very well could be, he thought he was above the law until a few months ago... Knock him down a couple humbling pegs so he can re-focus..

Curious as to why folks would think it's the right message to the team?

J
Because every position on the team is always up for grabs. More importantly, because screwing around and getting suspended in the offseason is a big deal - Santonio get shipped out of town, and Roethlisberger is going to have to play for his job when he gets back. Because you don't get handed the opportunity to be the quarterback - or starting left guard - or long snapper - or anyone who makes the 53 man roster andd just watched his good friends get cut - of arguably the most successful franchise in league history. You work for it. It's the right message, but realistically, it's not going to happen. Parcells used to drop a veteran just to get the locker room's attention. Belichick dropped Milloy like a bad habit. He also replaced Bledsoe with Brady, but as has been mentioned in this thread, the Steelers don't have Tom Brady. They have Dixon.
Before Tom Brady entered that season, no one thought he'd do what he did... Everyone thought it was temporary. And even after his success there was doubt that the job wouldn't be turned back over to Bledsoe.

Of course he would say that. Any good coach would say that in order to inspire the man starting in his place right now.

Assume ALL of the following things have happened entering Pittsburgh's week 5 bye:

- The Steelers are 4-0.

- Dixon has a 10-1 TD/INT ratio, a 126.5 QB rating and he tacked on 150 yards rushing.

- Morale is high in the locker room.

- Dixon saves a big box of puppies from a fire, then gives Tomlin's wife a ride home after her car breaks down in the rain.

I don't see how it would be laughable to envision Dixon keeping the job until further notice.

Short of most of that happening, Ben is back under center.
There is zero possibility that any of that happens (maybe the puppies and car ride). Even if it did, Ben gets his job back. Tomlin said nothing of the sort anyway.
Mike Tomlin on If Roethlisberger Gets His Job Back: “I’m Going To Dodge That”

J
Because every position on the team is always up for grabs. More importantly, because screwing around and getting suspended in the offseason is a big deal - Santonio get shipped out of town, and Roethlisberger is going to have to play for his job when he gets back. Because you don't get handed the opportunity to be the quarterback - or starting left guard - or long snapper - or anyone who makes the 53 man roster andd just watched his good friends get cut - of arguably the most successful franchise in league history. You work for it. It's the right message, but realistically, it's not going to happen. Parcells used to drop a veteran just to get the locker room's attention. Belichick dropped Milloy like a bad habit. He also replaced Bledsoe with Brady, but as has been mentioned in this thread, the Steelers don't have Tom Brady. They have Dixon.
Before Tom Brady entered that season, no one thought he'd do what he did... Everyone thought it was temporary. And even after his success there was doubt that the job wouldn't be turned back over to Bledsoe.
Roethlisberger's statistics and accomplishments in his first 5 years of his career are light years ahead of Bledsoe's. Dixon would be sitting on the bench this week if it weren't for an injury to Byron Leftwich. Now without winning a single NFL game people are speculating that he might take the job of a 2-time SB champion and most accurate passer in team history in the prime of his career.

Of course this is America and you can dream but Dixon needs to perform well this week just to hold onto the starting job before Leftwich returns.

I guess I'm delusional. I believe Tomlin. If the Steelers are 4-0 heading into their bye, and Dixon looks like he's growing into the role, and there's chemistry there-- Ben isn't getting his job back.

Not saying that's likely, but the head coach isn't putting himself in a corner guaranteeing the guy his old job back. This is a chance for Dixon to take and keep the job. If he just wanted to keep the chair warm for Ben he would have started Batch.

A lot of things have to happen for Dixon to supplant Big Ben as the starting QB for the Steelers. But the first thing-- him getting a shot to start games-- has already happened, and it's Ben's fault. I have a hard time believing Tomlin is going to bench an undefeated quarterback just because the vet has returned from suspension. So as long as that possibility exists, Tomlin is saying the right thing. And I believe him.
I believe this as well. It isn't likely. But it is possible. Ben allowed this to happen.
It is also possible that David Hasselhoff will run for president, choose Mel Gibson as his running mate and win the 2012 election. You guys are silly.
With all due respect, the idea that an NFL head coach would bench a 4-0 quarterback for a guy who was just suspended by the league and embarrassed the team is more silly. It would be like Ben getting benched when Tommy Maddox had gotten healthy. Nothing matters more than wins. Nothing. No coach is going to bench a young 4-0 quarterback for a trouble-maker. Should that somehow happen...Ben stays on the bench.
the steelers are playing for a lombardi trophy, not to entertain people for 4 months or make a lot of money or win their first 4 games. the ONLY reason ben is still here is that he is one of the top 5 qbs in the league and he gives them a legit shot at that trophy every year. the idea that dixon would keep that job is lunacy. when was the last time any qb with ben's pedigree and salary, in his prime, sat the bench when healthy? and dont bring up the "troublemaker" angle because clearly they accepted that when they did not move him in the offseason. if they tried to help him get his suspension reduced i'm sure they wont sit him any longer than they have to.

the "wins that matter" are in january, not september.

all that said, i do like the kid and hope he's gangbusters against the falcons on sunday.
They didn't move him in the offseason because they didn't have any good replacement options... If Dixon were to shine for 4 games, they might revisit the decision.. I know I would.Hypothetically, If they can still win, lose the black eye, gain cap room, and bring a bunch of picks/players via Ben Roth trade, why not? The alternative if Dixon lights it up is to keep him as a back up, keep the black eye, and gain nothing <or> Trade Dixon for peanuts, keep the black eye...

Unless Ben has sex with someone in a public bathroom in the next 5 weeks, there is zero chance that he doesn't regain the starting QB spot when he returns.
So you're thinking Big Ben probably doesn't start Week 5?Or maybe you meant "non-consensual sex," in which case it's probably about 50/50.
I'll bet everything I own that Big Ben doesn't start week 5... Any takers? Name your price..

J
Roethlisberger's statistics and accomplishments in his first 5 years of his career are light years ahead of Bledsoe's. Dixon would be sitting on the bench this week if it weren't for an injury to Byron Leftwich. Now without winning a single NFL game people are speculating that he might take the job of a 2-time SB champion and most accurate passer in team history in the prime of his career.

Of course this is America and you can dream but Dixon needs to perform well this week just to hold onto the starting job before Leftwich returns.
But Bledsoe wasn't a PR problem for the organization. I'd bet the Rooney's still wonder if they've made the right decision so far. His Champagne room action is going to have some offsetting quality, especially on a team that seems to have one of the highest moral standards in the league.

You've been very consistent in your view that Ben can do no wrong. We'll see. I look at it like this, Ben is in a tough spot. If Dixon goes 4-0 it looks like they can win without him. If they go 0-4 he'll get blamed for not being there for his team. Its all speculation at this point and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
:goodposting: Never said that. I am just telling you that Ben is not in a tough spot as far as holding onto his job as starting quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.Had the Steelers moved up in the draft and took Sam Bradford then you might be right. But Dennis Dixon has been with the Steelers for 3 years and couldn't beat out Byron Leftwich for the #2 spot.

I hope like hell that he plays well and goes 4-0 but after watching him play I just don't see it happening.
Dixon was drafted in 2008, so he's only been with the team for 2 seasons, not 3 yearsMany QB's take a few years to truly get a handle on NFL style play.

I wouldnt pay this story much attention. Big Ben will start when he returns.

If you read between the lines, this is what I you should see:

This is the Coach's way of saying 'we arent impressed that your off field issues could cost the team some wins' and 'you'd better be in shape and ready to play when you return'

at the end of the day when you give a guy a huge contract like he has, I think you need to play him . The only exception would be if he is extremely crappy (ala Jamarcus Russell aka Fat Boy)

I wouldnt pay this story much attention. Big Ben will start when he returns. If you read between the lines, this is what I you should see:This is the Coach's way of saying 'we arent impressed that your off field issues could cost the team some wins' and 'you'd better be in shape and ready to play when you return'at the end of the day when you give a guy a huge contract like he has, I think you need to play him . The only exception would be if he is extremely crappy (ala Jamarcus Russell aka Fat Boy)
Bledsoe had a fat contract...

You've been very consistent in your view that Ben can do no wrong. We'll see. I look at it like this, Ben is in a tough spot. If Dixon goes 4-0 it looks like they can win without him. If they go 0-4 he'll get blamed for not being there for his team. Its all speculation at this point and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
:shrug: Never said that. I am just telling you that Ben is not in a tough spot as far as holding onto his job as starting quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.Had the Steelers moved up in the draft and took Sam Bradford then you might be right. But Dennis Dixon has been with the Steelers for 3 years and couldn't beat out Byron Leftwich for the #2 spot.

I hope like hell that he plays well and goes 4-0 but after watching him play I just don't see it happening.
Dixon was drafted in 2008, so he's only been with the team for 2 seasons, not 3 yearsMany QB's take a few years to truly get a handle on NFL style play.
Let's count together 2008: one, 2009: two, 2010: THREE.Dude, I hope Dennis Dixon is the next coming of Manning (Peyton, Eli or Archie) but I have watched every snap he has taken with the Steelers. He is talented but is very raw, especially when it comes to reading defenses and going through his progressions. He isn't anywhere close to the quarterback right now that Ben Roethlisberger is.

Dennis Dixon will have his chance to show how much he has learned on Sunday. If he does well then he may get another chance at a start in week 2. If he doesn't do well then he'll likely be benched in week 2 when Byron Leftwich returns and likely be cut next season. What Dixon is really playing for is to show he can be a #2 QB for the Steelers and maybe a starter somehwere else.

And I see no chance he will be starting once Ben Roethlisberger returns.

:shrug: Never said that. I am just telling you that Ben is not in a tough spot as far as holding onto his job as starting quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.Had the Steelers moved up in the draft and took Sam Bradford then you might be right. But Dennis Dixon has been with the Steelers for 3 years and couldn't beat out Byron Leftwich for the #2 spot.

Let's count together 2008: one, 2009: two, 2010: THREE.Dude, I hope Dennis Dixon is the next coming of Manning (Peyton, Eli or Archie) but I have watched every snap he has taken with the Steelers. He is talented but is very raw, especially when it comes to reading defenses and going through his progressions. He isn't anywhere close to the quarterback right now that Ben Roethlisberger is.

Dennis Dixon have his chance to show how much he has learned on Sunday. If he does well then he may get another chance at a start in week 2. If he doesn't do well then he'll likely be benched in week 2 when Byron Leftwich returns.

lol, seriously?...

from 08 to 09 is 1, from 09 to 2010 is 2...

Check the link, you'll only see stats for 2 seasons... 2010 season hasn't happened yet, starts tonight... :shrug:

:confused: Never said that. I am just telling you that Ben is not in a tough spot as far as holding onto his job as starting quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.Had the Steelers moved up in the draft and took Sam Bradford then you might be right. But Dennis Dixon has been with the Steelers for 3 years and couldn't beat out Byron Leftwich for the #2 spot.

Dennis Dixon have his chance to show how much he has learned on Sunday. If he does well then he may get another chance at a start in week 2. If he doesn't do well then he'll likely be benched in week 2 when Byron Leftwich returns.

lol, seriously?...

Check the link, you'll only see stats for 2 seasons... 2010 season hasn't happened yet, starts tonight... ;)
Never said three seasons I said three years. 2010 is his third year and it started in minicamp.

Dixon was drafted in 2008, so he's only been with the team for 2 seasons, not 3 years

Many QB's take a few years to truly get a handle on NFL style play.
Let's count together 2008: one, 2009: two, 2010: THREE.
lol, seriously?...

Check the link, you'll only see stats for 2 seasons... 2010 season hasn't happened yet, starts tonight... :confused:
Never said three seasons I said three years. 2010 is his third year and it started in minicamp.
He's been on there roster during 3 different calender years... I thought you were talking about how much time he's actually spent with the team... I can see how that might be more relevant ;)

You know that from when he signed his contract till now, little more than 2 years time... He's spent 2 seasons with the team. So saying 3 years is a little deceptive don't you think?

He's been on there roster during 3 different calender years... I thought you were talking about how much time he's actually spent with the team... I can see how that might be more relevant :thumbup:You know that from when he signed his contract till now, little more than 2 years time... He's spent 2 seasons with the team. So saying 3 years is a little deceptive don't you think?
To be completely clear: He's been in 3 minicamps, 3 training camps, 3 preseasons and 2 full seasons. The point was the coaches have seen a lot of Dennis Dixon and still went out and traded for Byron Leftwich and resigned Charlie Batch. Had it not been for the suspension of Roethlisberger and the injury to Leftwich, Dixon would be #3.Now if you want to believe that he has a snowball's chance in hell of unseating a 2 time SB champion QB in the prime of his career then you are certainly entitled to your opinion.I just don't see it happening...

J

But Bledsoe wasn't a PR problem for the organization. I'd bet the Rooney's still wonder if they've made the right decision so far. His Champagne room action is going to have some offsetting quality, especially on a team that seems to have one of the highest moral standards in the league.
That is a big misconception. Bledsoe also did not have a $100 million contract. Ben's not going anywhere.

Steelfan7 said:
That is a big misconception. Bledsoe also did not have a $100 million contract. Ben's not going anywhere.
Can you name a player who had a $100 million contract at the time? Bledsoe was a well paid player for his day. You can't compare their contracts based solely on total contract amount. Would be nice to free up that cap space for the Steelers as well. Good point :football: 1oomilly can fill a lot of other needs..

can someone talk more about the steelers offensive line. what are the odds we see the team go back to a pounding running game rather than the weird out of character passing team we saw last year?

Tomlin does not strike me as too bright either.
:bag: Honor student. National Honor Society. Odyssey of the Mind. Went to William and Mary, an academics first sort of school. John Lynch said of Tomlin "He is extremely well read, and not just about football." Someone else said "he enters the room and your instantly the 2nd smartest person in the room."

:banned: Honor student. National Honor Society. Odyssey of the Mind. Went to William and Mary, an academics first sort of school. John Lynch said of Tomlin "He is extremely well read, and not just about football." Someone else said "he enters the room and your instantly the 2nd smartest person in the room."
It must have been Da Guru who said that.

:lmao: Honor student. National Honor Society. Odyssey of the Mind. Went to William and Mary, an academics first sort of school. John Lynch said of Tomlin "He is extremely well read, and not just about football." Someone else said "he enters the room and your instantly the 2nd smartest person in the room."
It must have been Da Guru who said that.
He's (Tomlin) bound to be smarter than me. I misspelled you're. :banned:

can someone talk more about the steelers offensive line. what are the odds we see the team go back to a pounding running game rather than the weird out of character passing team we saw last year?
The offensive line for the past several years has been below average. They have been better at pass protection although they still give up a lot of sacks. Many will say that it is due to Ben holding the ball and that is partially true but Ben also bails them out of sloppy blocking frequently with his escapability. Overall though I would give their pass protection in recent years a C-.Where they have been particularly bad though is at run blocking. They have just been unable to open up many holes since the 2005 season. Things went from bad to worse when OT Willie Colon suffered a season-ending injury. To make up for Colon they signed veteran Flozell Adams who may be on the downside of his career but he is still likely to be an upgrade for the running game. The biggest impact will be the addition of rookie C Maurkice Pouncey who is worlds better than Justin Hartwig. I don't think you will ever see an old fashioned pounding running game in a Bruce Arians offense but overall I think the run-blocking should be improved in 2010.

CrossEyed said:
Steeler said:
Dolfan said:
Dixon looked pretty good week 1... :shrug:
Did you watch the game?
;) Even more sure that Ben will be the starting QB in week 6.
I'm giving Dixon the break this week for nerves ... he played pretty well IMO. Made some really really stupid plays, and at times looked totally lost. But overall, he wasn't too bad. Definitely not good enough to keep Ben on the bench, but he still has three more games to go.

Dolfan said:
Dixon looked pretty good week 1... :popcorn:
:thumbdown: Dixon made a couple nice throws but was throwing a lot of balls into the ground to wide open receivers, especially in the first half. There were several times where he had time to throw but didn't see open receivers that could have gone for big gains and he had at least three passes that should have been picked.Dixon didn't lose the game though and so he deserves the start next week even if Leftwich returns to practice this week but if the popcorn is because you think Dixon has a shot to unseat Roethlisberger you might as well dump out your bucket of corn right now.

Why do you think Tomlin said this? Do you really think Dixon needed motivation? I can't imagine a guy getting a shot at the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers needing motivation.
What about a guy who's just keeping the seat warm until the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers returns from suspension?The guy couldn't even beat out Leftwhich w/ out help from an injury. Even if he goes on to throw 3 touchdowns per week (and I certainly hope he does) and the Steelers are 4-0 after the BYE, I still think the reigns get handed over to BigBen w/ out hesitation.
Steelers release QB Byron Leftwich http://twitter.com/SteelersDigest/statuses/24876349491

From the stillers facebook page:

• The Pittsburgh Steelers Roster move: QB Leftwich released, DE McLendon activated from practice squad. Done for D-line depth vs Titans. Expect Leftwich back next week.• The Pittsburgh Steelers The move involving Byron Leftwich is one to add temporary defensive line depth -- Steve McLendon -- in advance of a game against a team that has RB Chris Johnson. Leftwich is a vested veteran and therefore is not waived. He is released. This means he cannot be "claimed" by another team. He is free to sign with any team, and that figures to be the Steelers early next week.

I need Big Ben as my starter ASAP. Need the Steelers to drop a couple of these games so Tomlin starts him immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread