What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 12 selections in startup dynasty league (1 Viewer)

HP III is a whole different ball game Iron. After the big 3 at least!

Will be interesting. It was a wonderful idea as a way to get away from the RB heavy drafts! (I think?) We will find out Saturday!
I'm ready to start drafting NOW for M&O HPIII as well - w/o a timer.Who's in?

HP III is a whole different ball game Iron. After the big 3 at least!

Will be interesting. It was a wonderful idea as a way to get away from the RB heavy drafts! (I think?) We will find out Saturday!
I'm ready to start drafting NOW for M&O HPIII as well - w/o a timer.Who's in?
Not me. I'm still trying to figure out what's what. Who is the Indy QB this year?

Is there much speculation on who wannabee is going to take? I think the choice is obviously but I traded out of the position because I didn't want to take the guy many perceive the obvious choice.

I play in PPR leagues also, I just cant see even if Bush catches 50-75 passes like LT that I could take him that high. Bush may very well be the next LT, my only thing is he could just as easily be the next Ki-Jana Carter, he still has never played a down in the NFL, and as good as he was in college, thats not the NFL. Good luck.
Ki-Jana doesn't seem like a good comparison because he shredded his knee before he got a real chance to show us what he can do. Obviously there's heightened risk with a rookie, but Bush was essentially the same player last season as he will be this next season. I've watched a lot of RBs play over the past few years and he quite simply blows the doors off of all of them in terms of his combination of instincts, measurables, athletic ability, and football skills.

I'm really not as big of a risk taker as I used to be, but this was a unique situation of the perfect prospect having the perfect skill set for this scoring system. We'll see how it works out, but I'm happy to have #5 as a cornerstone.
Hey, and if it doesn't work out in year 1, there's always next year's first pick. ;)
That's true. I do like to build from the bottom up, but I plan on making my picks count.
Bush and Adrian Peterson would be one helluva One-Two Combination!?!?! ;)

I play in PPR leagues also, I just cant see even if Bush catches 50-75 passes like LT that I could take him that high. Bush may very well be the next LT, my only thing is he could just as easily be the next Ki-Jana Carter, he still has never played a down in the NFL, and as good as he was in college, thats not the NFL. Good luck.
Ki-Jana doesn't seem like a good comparison because he shredded his knee before he got a real chance to show us what he can do. Obviously there's heightened risk with a rookie, but Bush was essentially the same player last season as he will be this next season. I've watched a lot of RBs play over the past few years and he quite simply blows the doors off of all of them in terms of his combination of instincts, measurables, athletic ability, and football skills.

I'm really not as big of a risk taker as I used to be, but this was a unique situation of the perfect prospect having the perfect skill set for this scoring system. We'll see how it works out, but I'm happy to have #5 as a cornerstone.
Hey, and if it doesn't work out in year 1, there's always next year's first pick. ;)
That's true. I do like to build from the bottom up, but I plan on making my picks count.
Bush and Adrian Peterson would be one helluva One-Two Combination!?!?! ;)
What about LJ/Peterson? Along with Edge/Jordan? That's what I have in one league. :thumbup:

Gotta give thanks to the rest of the league for letting Steven Jackson slide to me. I would've have been happy with Jordan or Jackson, but Jeff took Jordan as expected. Jackson is a stud RB with two years experience and is the youngest non-rookie in the league - younger than DeAngelo and Addai.

Gotta give thanks to the rest of the league for letting Steven Jackson slide to me. I would've have been happy with Jordan or Jackson, but Jeff took Jordan as expected. Jackson is a stud RB with two years experience and is the youngest non-rookie in the league - younger than DeAngelo and Addai.
I think you were fortunate that he dropped and commended for being in position to grab him. :thumbup:

I think you were fortunate that he dropped and commended for being in position to grab him. :thumbup:
There were 9 RB's that I thought deserved to be 1st round picks and that was the reason I traded specifically up to #9, allowing me to trade LT. I would've have been happy with any of them and I think everyone got a great RB.BTW, Hyper dropped the ball on Jordan - thinking about Jeff's points on him and the Raiders drafting 3 OL sold me on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a PPR league i think Bush should have went #1, so EBF got a steal getting him at 1.3.
Thats the stupidest thing Ive ever heard, you act like LJ and LT dont catch passes or that Bush is going to catch 100 passes every year.

Went quarterback a lot earlier than I wanted to, but Peyton available with the 5th pick in the 2nd round, I thought he was to good to pass up. I was actually licking my chops as I thought for sure JohnnyU would take Peyton right in front of me and Torry Holt would drop. :shrug: I'll settle for Peyton.

The two drafts are going differently right about now. I paid a steep price to move up and grab Maroney. Very high risk-reward proposition and a little out of character but I like him in that offense.

I also like how well Dillon responded the last year he was in Cincy, when he got dinged and R. Johnson started getting some...all...of the touches. You cannot predict injuries but, considering Dillon's age and attitude, I think Maroney sees the football sooner than later.

Plenty of money left on the table with a few other players but not guys I like or positions I would draft this early under this format.

If Active is any indication, it looks like I reached on Gates. Surprised he's fallen so far in that one. Using worst starter as a VBD baseline, he was the 8th most valuable player in this scoring system last year. Looks like I probably could have just stayed put with my second rounder and then had Owens with my 3rd instead of Darrell Jackson. Oh well.

If Active is any indication, it looks like I reached on Gates. Surprised he's fallen so far in that one. Using worst starter as a VBD baseline, he was the 8th most valuable player in this scoring system last year. Looks like I probably could have just stayed put with my second rounder and then had Owens with my 3rd instead of Darrell Jackson. Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will like Gates. I can't believe he's lasted as long in our draft as he has. Makes me question my decision to trade up to the 1.1. :hot:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it was a great pick. My three options at 1.09 were Fitz, Chad, and Gates. Gates is a beast in this format. It doesn't matter if anyone else realizes it.

I will never fault a guy for taking a risk for young talent, whether it be Bush, Maroney, DWilliams, or Gates.

You have to like Johnny U's draft so fat with Bush, and the two stud WRs.

I will never fault a guy for taking a risk for young talent, whether it be Bush, Maroney, DWilliams, or Gates. 

You have to like Johnny U's draft so fat with Bush, and the two stud WRs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried to move down from the 2.4, but was unable to do so. Had this not been a 1rb required league, and not a PPR league, I would have chosen another RB at 2.4. Since there are more RBs on the board with similar talent, I chose to get another top 3 WR. I like RBs as much as the next guy, but my strategy changed by the flow of the draft.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I started with the 2.4 and felt it was 50-50 he would be there. And I was right. That was the 1 player I felt was worth getting at that point. So I traded out. Now in many drafts he will likely last until late 2nd or very early 3 but not in shark drafts. At least not IMO.

Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5
Best squad so far ...

Well I took Joseph Addai at 4.4. Anyone feel like that's a reach? He's the 28th RB off the board and likely the RB1 in Indy. Poss a RBBC the first year with Rhodes. But if Rhodes were their man they would not have taken a RB in the first round. They could of gotten someone later. Clearly they were after James' replacement and Addai fits that description.

I really like this 2 conference thing where the same player can be in either conference, and the two conferences play for the SB (teams from diff conf don't play each other during the reg season). I'm sure this is old hat to a lot of you, but it's new to me, and I love it.

Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5Best squad so far ...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, based on this trend I suspect Fragile Freddy Taylor is high on your next auto-pick list.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol ... I had FWP on there for a bit, but I liked the upside of each of these players more considering the starting requirements of the league.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seattle Stars:RB: Jordan and Jamal Lewis

WR: Owens and Boldin

How did your conference let Jordan fall to #16?

Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5Best squad so far ...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, based on this trend I suspect Fragile Freddy Taylor is high on your next auto-pick list.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol ... I had FWP on there for a bit, but I liked the upside of each of these players more considering the starting requirements of the league.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you should ask the rookie kool-aid drinkers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Ninersfan (seattle) has a very good start considering he traded out of the first round.

Not overly happy with my team right, original plan was to wait on a quarterback and stock-pile wide receivers. Not happening.

So far I got:

QB Peyton Manning

RB Cadillac Williams

WR Marvin Harrison

Go Colts! :unsure:

So far, I'm going with the stud at each position plan.

QB - Carson Palmer

RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Darrell Jackson

TE - Antonio Gates

Its turning ugly ...

Code:
Player YTD Pts Bye Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5 Walker, Javon GBP WR (I) - 6

Its turning ugly ...

Player YTD Pts Bye Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5 Walker, Javon GBP WR (I) - 6<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not bad, but an awful lot of risk there. Bell is a question mark. He might not even be the starter. Taylor is in a good situation, but who knows if he'll capitalize? Williams is solid. Moss should be great as long as he stays motivated.

Walker is a risk. He's only had one great season and is returning from a serious knee injury. He's a nice value where you got him, but hardly a lock for success.

It is getting interesting, as people's opinions on players and strategies are a little more clear.

Given the trade down, I had some leverage and decided to go for RB depth with one WR. I am pretty happy with Moss, R. Johnson, J. Lewis and L. Maroney this point, as well as having a few extra pick next year.

For some reason I developed some overnight type of man love for J. Lewis and decided I needed to draft him, as well as Moss. Live and die by the gut call. We'll see how that plays out.

D. Williams finally went in Active and it was very hard to pass him over.

Its turning ugly ...

Player YTD Pts Bye Bell, Tatum DEN RB - 9 Taylor, Chester MIN RB - 5 Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 7 Moss, Randy OAK WR - 5 Walker, Javon GBP WR (I) - 6<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Slow your roll champ! I wouldn't get crazy just yet. You need to catch a few breaks for this to all pan out.I think you started like this last year, and ended up not even making the playoffs.

I also like Seattle's squad, but it's still early, and the men will be seperated from the boys soon enough.

For the record, I like my team as well, at this point.

Its turning ugly ...

Slow your roll champ! I wouldn't get crazy just yet. You need to catch a few breaks for this to all pan out.I think you started like this last year, and ended up not even making the playoffs.

I also like Seattle's squad, but it's still early, and the men will be seperated from the boys soon enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're doing pretty well. The only thing that really gives me pause is Ronnie at 1.08. I'm not entirely sold on him and I think Miami will be a flop next year. Culpepper is injured and overrated. What else do they have?Also, I probably would've taken a safe WR like Ward over Julius.

Roy Williams is a beast though, and Clayton will be good value if he rebounds.

Its turning ugly ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if I have my top 3 picks go out for the season ... I will most likely not make the playoffs :hot:

Its turning ugly ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're doing pretty well. The only thing that really gives me pause is Ronnie at 1.08. I'm not entirely sold on him and I think Miami will be a flop next year. Culpepper is injured and overrated. What else do they have?Also, I probably would've taken a safe WR like Ward over Julius.

Roy Williams is a beast though, and Clayton will be good value if he rebounds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Brown, and think Miami will continue the roll they were on towards the end of the season. He will have every oppertunnity to be a top 10 RB. Whether he cashes in is another story.Not a big McGahee fan, but could not pass at 2.6.

Julius is a definite risk, but one I'm willing to take considering I got Brown, and Mcgahee in the first 2 rounds. If he stays healthy, (a big if) I like my chances.

Roy will be better, just be being healthy, and with the addition by subtraction move they made with Harrington. Martz should help his numbers some as well.

Clayton is a roll of the dice, but I like his upside alot better than some of the others that were still on the board at that point. He HAS TO play closer to the level of his rookie year. He can't get much worse than last year.

Its turning ugly ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, if I have my top 3 picks go out for the season ... I will most likely not make the playoffs :hot:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that was a bum rap, BUT if your gonna talk that smack, then excuses are not allowed. At least in my book.

QB - Carson Palmer

RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Darrell Jackson

TE - Antonio Gates

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too.QB - Ben Roethlisberger

RB - Reggie Bush

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Jeremy Shockey

I even threw in LenDale White for kicks. Bush and White led me to the playoffs in my college dynasty last year. That has to be good for something.

QB - Carson Palmer

RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Darrell Jackson

TE - Antonio Gates

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB - Reggie Bush

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Jeremy Shockey

I even threw in LenDale White for kicks. Bush and White led me to the playoffs in my college dynasty last year. That has to be good for something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like what Seattle is doing:QB - McNabb

RB - Jordan, Lewis

WR - Owens, Chambers

QB - Carson Palmer

RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Darrell Jackson

TE - Antonio Gates

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB - Reggie Bush

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Jeremy Shockey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB - Jordan, Lewis

WR - Owens, Chambers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, he's definitely got a pretty nasty squad as well. I think he also has Boldin.I think Chambers will be a bit of a bust and I think Jordan is overrated, but he got solid value with McNabb, Owens, and Boldin. Lewis could also pay off.

QB - Carson Palmer

RB - Steven Jackson

WR - Darrell Jackson

TE - Antonio Gates

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB - Reggie Bush

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Jeremy Shockey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RB - Jordan, Lewis

WR - Owens, Chambers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree on that. Any roster with LamJ on it is :thumbup: in my book. Unfortunately for him, I'll cancel out that player in the Super Bowl :) .My roster so far:

RB - Lamont Jordan, Reuben Droughns, DeAngelo Williams

WR - Reggie Wayne

TE - Antonio Gates

I like it so far (and I'm nothing if not consistent - anyone read a dynasty ranking somewhere? ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread