What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 3 backs, next 3 years (1 Viewer)

Which RB would you take as a 3 year keeper?

• S. Alexander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • L. Tomlinson

• L Johnson

• Some other guy.

• Total voters
Interesting that noone thinks that All World RB Reggie Bush has a shot at performing to a top 3 level. Im pretty sure LT2 did it his 1st 3 years. Bush doesnt have a shot at SuperStudStardom?? If not, why in the H#@* is he going #1 overall if he doesnt have that kind of potential?? Just asking.

Regardless of cap space do you really see Roaf and Shields playing for three more years? Those were two guys ready to retire *this* year. I just don't see how KC talks them into playing that long.
I'm not disputing that, my post was directed to the statement that the Chiefs were way over the cap.

Interesting that noone thinks that All World RB Reggie Bush has a shot at performing to a top 3 level. Im pretty sure LT2 did it his 1st 3 years. Bush doesnt have a shot at SuperStudStardom?? If not, why in the H#@* is he going #1 overall if he doesnt have that kind of potential?? Just asking.
Many thought the same thing about Lawrence Phillips, remember how that turned out. Now, I not saying Bush "IS" a Phillips, what I'm saying is we know LT2 can perform at a top level at the NFL level, we know SA can perform at the next level, and LJ can perform at that level. Do we really know that bush can and stay at that level? No, we really don't know, until he gets there. If you were starting a FF league, LT2 would be taken first over Bush in more than not. (Redraft, Dynasty, Keeper, what ever)

As this question in a year or so and it might be different.

Somebody needs to find the thread (before he was drafted) where 99% of this board predicted that Larry Johnson would suck.

If I remember correctly, most said he was too slow to be a dominant back.

With that said, LT should be winning this.
Before he was drafted? Try mid 2004. LJ's a Bust!

Justin Fargas is better than LJ!

Blaylock is the future!

LJ will never see the field - Trade him!

Larry Johnson to be traded to Miami!

A quick search will show many more "insightful" threads.
:own3d: :lol: :lol: :lol: Outstanding!

Little surprised by this. I suspect those expecting Vermeil's RB-heaven offense to run on autopilot after he's gone might be surprised. I'll probably stay somewhat clear of KC offensive personnel until I'm convinced the scheme has staying power.
Hard to say. Living in New Jersey I have been exposed to Herman Edwards coaching philosophy. The biggest complaint about Herman Edwards was play calling;1st down - run left

2nd down - run right

3rd and long..."Call the draw"
Actually, the biggest complaint against Edwards was that nobody was exactly sure what he was doing on gameday. He didn't call the plays - it was Hackett and then Heimerdinger, and he sure didn't manage clock (that was **** Curl's job). Point is that Edwards doesn't have an offensive system he's planning on installing, and he's not going to call the plays eitehr, so it is perhaps more fair to assume that the Vermeil machine will keep clacking away.

I like Portis over the next 3 years.
#######
I love your response.....I assume your a Cowboy fan, You dont see Portis being a great RB?? I see why since he has a great OL and a HOF coach who loves to run the ball, and once of the best OC in football....
Two years ago they were talking about benching him. Until the second half of last year, not all foreskins fans were too happy with his performance. Three years is a looooong time for running backs. You talk about his coaching, yet there is a small possibility that Gibbs will be the coach for the next three years.
Saunders is calling the offensive plays next year, not Gibbs.

I am not sure about this but wonder about the touches per game as a barometer for how a player will do in the future for wear and tear. I have always been under the assumption that the RB's want the work and this makes them feel better than sitting around all the time. Touches are hard to evaluate because how many times did the player go out of bounds without even being touched. All the great RB's have gone for a long time with alot of work each year. It is more the 30 year old thing that comes into the equation more than touches. I vote for LT because I think he is in the great RB categorey and is good at getting out of bounds without being touched.

Kit-

Here's the point. While he has not STARTED a full season, LJ's still played 3 seasons. If we can't draw conclusions from 3 seasons of player performance, than either we just dont have our thinking caps on or we're just plain stubborn. LJ has improved from 85yds and 1 TD his rookie year, to 500something and 11 TDs in his 2nd year, to over 2000 total yds and 21 TDs his 3rd year. Now, thats 3 years of performance and I know a trend when I see one. Give the kid the rock and he'll get the job done. The greater the looks the greater the production. Add to that the fact that he hasnt been overworked AND he's driven....and he's finished each of the past 2 seasons like a starving animal???.....that's some koolaid I cant get enough of. But I buy your agruement about LT2's consistency...there's no arguing that. For flat out consistency, he or SA are clearly your guys.
Don't get me wrong, I like LJ and would kill to have him on any of my teams. He certainly looks like a beast.

Just risk. FWIW, I had listed out to #10, and he was #8. Then I deleted the 6-10 list.

Too many things can change in 1 year, or 2 years, or especially 3 years. Tomlinson has shown that he can be a top 3 RB in any type of situation.... when his o-line is below average, when the offense needs him to catch 100 passes, when his QB sucks, when the passing game is rocking and he just needs to punch in TDs, etc. Although LJ has outstanding potential to put up Holmes/Faulk-like numbers for the next 3 seasons, there are also big question marks with his o-line, coaching staff, and a Priest Holmes return. Unless some of those question marks get answered soon, I go with Tomlinson proven ability to be a top 3 RB in any situation.

#######
I love your response.....I assume your a Cowboy fan, You dont see Portis being a great RB?? I see why since he has a great OL and a HOF coach who loves to run the ball, and once of the best OC in football....
Two years ago they were talking about benching him. Until the second half of last year, not all foreskins fans were too happy with his performance. Three years is a looooong time for running backs. You talk about his coaching, yet there is a small possibility that Gibbs will be the coach for the next three years.
Either way it is a moot point. Gibbs and Saunders are both cut from the same cloth. In fact Portis's numbers should be better if Saunders is calling the plays.....IMHO

#######
Either way it is a moot point. Gibbs and Saunders are both cut from the same cloth. In fact Portis's numbers should be better if Saunders is calling the plays.....IMHO
I think you're echoing my point.

Too many things can change in 1 year, or 2 years, or especially 3 years.  Tomlinson has shown that he can be a top 3 RB in any type of situation.... when his o-line is below average, when the offense needs him to catch 100 passes, when his QB sucks, when the passing game is rocking and he just needs to punch in TDs, etc.  Although LJ has outstanding potential to put up Holmes/Faulk-like numbers for the next 3 seasons, there are also big question marks with his o-line, coaching staff, and a Priest Holmes return.  Unless some of those question marks get answered soon, I go with Tomlinson proven ability to be a top 3 RB in any situation.
So, are you saying you'd rank em:LT

LJ

SA

I think LT is the safest pick of the lot. His age is good, he is very proven, and nfl talent wise is probably the best. He just doesn't have the biggest possible upside of them all. 2-3 years back it was priest #1, LT #2. But the gap between them was huge (Like 10 td's a year). If we think of which back will be the next/first to get 25 - someday 30 td's in a season, it's gotta come from the KC or seattle offensive system. (Portis fans could argue that Saunders will give WAS the same system)

I'm just stuck on LJ vs Alexander. Coaching/OL changes/Priest vs being 29 in sept.

We can look at LJ's year and prorate it to 2000+ yards and 26+ td's, but that is dangerous.

So many people on the board were all over Kevin Jones and McGahee last year. Look at how that turned out. I think many here are easily swayed to the flavor of the month. That said, KC's system is awesome and were they able to keep it together their back is a lock for 1500/15.

I guess I'd take LT first, but what would you do if he were gone and you had the second or third pick?

Last edited by a moderator:
Houston wont draft bush..........D.Davis will be in the top three as long as they dont draft bush.Houston will be running the Denver rb mill system.Davis is a good back allready.He could be a monster if he can stay healty.

You are upset because:1. You have Quincy Carter in your screen name

2. Because Portis did something (1,500 yard season) that no cowboy has done in 11 years. (Since Emmitt's 1,700 yard season in '95)

3. Dallas hasn't had a 1,000 yard rusher in the last 4 seasons.

4. You have Quincy Carter in your screen name

You are upset because:1. You have Quincy Carter in your screen name

2. Because Portis did something (1,500 yard season) that no cowboy has done in 11 years. (Since Emmitt's 1,700 yard season in '95)

3. Dallas hasn't had a 1,000 yard rusher in the last 4 seasons.

4. You have Quincy Carter in your screen name
New rule - screen name = credibility. Anyone with Quincy Carter in their name has none.

It'll be interesting to resurrect this thread in three years and see who's closest...

As much as I'd like to go with my boy LT, I think the mileage is going to eventually catch up to him. He'll be right near 30 at that point, too. Can he still do it? Of course. And he's still in my top 5, but not quite top 3.

I'd have to go with LJ, Ronnie Brown, and Steven Jackson. I would like to say whomever the Colts draft, assuming they don't re-sign Edge (not likely), and they draft someone rather than pickup in FA. Whomever it is, will be in an excellent system...
C'mon, I don't see anyway possible LT is not top 2 let alone top 3. Personally, I have LT number one

LJ- one season of dominance.

LT- several seasons of dominance.

SA- No where to go but down, and I think he will be going down.

Portis- Could be the best of the group with the coaching staff that is there.

No love for Ronnie Brown ?
Ronnie Brown has a bright future, but you're really going to draft him top 3 in a new 3 year keeper? People are pumping Portis, but who is the QB there this year? Brunell again? How long until their second year QB is playing? I'd agree with Portis at 4, but there seems to be a pretty sizable dropoff between 3 and 4.

I'm gonna say it even though I'm gonna bet blasted for it.....cedric benson.....No really. DOMINANT D. Run first O. Frigid conditions for much of the year. Poor passing conditions.

LT has had WAAAYYYYY too many touches the last 3 years. He misses significant time this year. Bank it.

Alexander will be great this year, maybe next. After that I'm not so sure.

LJ? Vermeil's gone. The line is aging. The D is nothing special.

I like the Portis comments, but I'm going against the grain and going with Cedric. Blast away.....I deserve it, but I had to say it....

I'm gonna say it even though I'm gonna bet blasted for it.....cedric benson.....No really. DOMINANT D. Run first O. Frigid conditions for much of the year. Poor passing conditions.

LT has had WAAAYYYYY too many touches the last 3 years. He misses significant time this year. Bank it.

I like the Portis comments, but I'm going against the grain and going with Cedric. Blast away.....I deserve it, but I had to say it....
One more thing....All of you know that none of the big three now will be there in 3 years. Sure they are the flavor of the last few years. but the NFL stands for Not For Long. Every year 50% of the top 10 at the major positions wash out of that top 10. Do you know how statistical tough it will be for these guys to be there in 3 years? LT has been in the top 3 the last 3, Alexander the top 6 the last 3. LJ is a little new to the game. It's going to be tough for 1 of these guys to be dominant for another 3 years.... So I took a stab at a guy way off the radar. Either that or I'm sick and laying on the couch hallucinating. I am sick, and laying on the couch so maybe the hallucination part is true too!?!?!

So your #1 overall dynasty player is C.Benson? That 1 career reception and 0 career TDs must have impressed you.

One more thing....All of you know that none of the big three now will be there in 3 years. Sure they are the flavor of the last few years. but the NFL stands for Not For Long. Every year 50% of the top 10 at the major positions wash out of that top 10. Do you know how statistical tough it will be for these guys to be there in 3 years? LT has been in the top 3 the last 3, Alexander the top 6 the last 3. LJ is a little new to the game. It's going to be tough for 1 of these guys to be dominant for another 3 years.... So I took a stab at a guy way off the radar. Either that or I'm sick and laying on the couch hallucinating. I am sick, and laying on the couch so maybe the hallucination part is true too!?!?!
I personally like that you went out on a limb but I have a hard time believing you would draft Cedric Benson #1 in a dynasty league. If this post was who isn't in the top ten that will be in the next 3 years I would like your answer alot more but again I do like it cause you went against the norm. Hell, I still think Willie Green can make a comeback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'll be the first to go off the deep end.

LaMont Jordan.
I think your the second, look 2 up.
Fair enough - "first to go off the deep end w/ LaMont Jordan".........but I think the Benson pick is a little beyond lifeguard range.....

Top 3 back for the next 3 years?

-L.Johnson

-Tomlinson

-Portis

In that order...by year 3 you will see a big drop off in Alexander...he is getting old...Tomlinson should see a small dip as well as he will be in the 30+ club.
I am really interested in seeing what he can do. His "O" line has lost some clout, he lost his FB, and now a different HC? We could easily see a different LJ this year, which I am leaning towards betting on.

LT

LJ may have more upside, but he hasn't showed he can carry the full load for a year yet and has offensive line issues.

Larry Johnson - The Chiefs are on the verge of a rebuilding phase.

LaDainian Tomlinson - Because of his workload, he probably only has a year or two of top notch production.

Shaun Alexander - See above, in three years he'll be in his thirties with a ton of wear and tear.

So I say, none of the above. If I had to pick, Johnson if the Chiefs restock the offense soon.

Users who are viewing this thread