What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Totaled car. How to ensure the highest value (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Well dayum, I totaled my car today. We are fine. Wasn't my fault. Was driving straight down the road, with no obstructions and a car waiting to turn out of an apartment complex must not have seen me and pulled out and t-boned me as I was passing. The crazy part is that the impact caused my car to roll over on its roof. Sucker is totaled. Sucks b/c I only had less than 1 year left on it and it was going to my 16-year-old daughter in Feb when she turned 17.

I want to make sure that I get max value for my car now

Both I and my daughter were in the car when hit. We both went hospital and got checked, with no issues.

Both I and the other driver have the same insurance company, so supposedly it would be smoother.

So what's next? I signed the car over to them and got all my property out. I assume they will have their adjusters look at it

The car was in great shape with low miles—2018 Mitsu Outlander PHEV (plug in hybrid), only 27000 miles.

My only concern is that I was a bit late on my inspection and was about 2 weeks overdue. IDK is that will cause a problem.

I guess I wait for an offer. How do I know it's legit? Is it better to hold out for more?

thanks

Dang, I saw the pics you posted of the wreck. I don't have any advice on dealing with the insurance company, but glad everyone's ok. Hopefully the bump will get some eyeballs on your thread.

man best wishes with recovery, i’ve had this happen to car recently (stolen) and i found 3 cars that were the same year and model and priced higher than my car was worth. i got about 4k higher than they were trying to give me and went from 8k to 12k

My car was totaled this summer. The insurance company literally went and found 10 cars in my area that were for sale. They removed the top two prices and the bottom two prices and took the average of the six remaining vehicles and paid me accordingly. I suppose it’s possible I could’ve gotten more, but they paid me pretty much what I paid three years ago. I was happy with that so I didn’t look further into it.

Glad it sounds like you're ok.

Totalled my car a couple years ago and the other driver and I both had Progressive. Other driver was at fault. Don't know how to maximize what they give you for your car but thought I'd mention that I also received some cash for pain and suffering. I didn't ask for it. They just volunteered it. I know you said you were unhurt but if you're experiencing any pain or discomfort, it's best to make it known.

Do your research of similar models to see what they are selling for. The insurance company will surely try to low ball and offer you "book value", but you are guaranteed to pay more than book value right now when you purchase because while it is not as bad as it was as recently as 6 months ago, the used car market is still insane and vehicles are selling high. Not only are you going to pay more right now for a vehicle, you are also going to have a higher interest rate if you take out a loan so I would take all of that into account.

Totalled my car a couple years ago and the other driver and I both had Progressive. Other driver was at fault. Don't know how to maximize what they give you for your car but thought I'd mention that I also received some cash for pain and suffering. I didn't ask for it. They just volunteered it. I know you said you were unhurt but if you're experiencing any pain or discomfort, it's best to make it known.
Thanks! my daughter has a good bruise on her thigh (initial impact side) that has been growing/getting more purple all day. We noted it at the ER when it was just a small bruise, and we have been taking photos every few hours. Not looking to use her as a piggy bank, but its def something to bring up when I speak to them.

Esp being my daughter is a dancer, her legs are kinda important to her.

We spoke to the property rep today, and she said a bodily injury rep was also assigned to our case and will be following up tomorrow.

Thanks! my daughter has a good bruise on her thigh (initial impact side) that has been growing/getting more purple all day. We noted it at the ER when it was just a small bruise, and we have been taking photos every few hours. Not looking to use her as a piggy bank, but its def something to bring up when I speak to them.

We spoke to the property rep today, and she said a bodily injury rep was also assigned to our case and will be following up tomorrow.
I’m no lawyer, but when you talk to that person I would be careful not to say things like

“We are fine”

“Seems like we are ok”

I would guess they are recording those conversations and neck and back injuries can show themselves much later sometimes.

Maybe tis is state by state but i chose the cheaper option and can't receive any money for "pain and suffering". I can get money to cover my medical costs and that's it. Nothing above an beyond

My kid had an accident almost the same as yours. Lady coming out of an apartment complex nailed him. Car totaled. The insurance (Progressive) tried to **** us over horribly. Hired a third party adjustor who nit picked everything he could. That and the valuation had a nebulous "Projected sold adjustment" ding on every comp - no explanation, just a ding just because they could. Marked down the value of the tires (!) on a used car with fraudulent measurements (they were damn near new). I sent back a 15 page rebuttal with better comps and pictures showing the damage they indicated wasn't there, the interior wasn't trashed, etc. In the face of the rebuttal there was no recalculation, just a lazy back and forth with the Progressive rep where she increased the payback incrementally until I went away. I ended up way below fair value, but gave it up after pushing the settlement up about 10% as that seemed to be the budget she had. The whole process is a complete ****ing scam. RICO organized theft.

That said, getting the best settlement back? Go wash the car, inside and out. Make sure that ****er is sparkling and some dipshit who is paid to ding the value doesn't find anything. From there dispute the valuation at least once as they are definitely screwing you, so drag it out and make them cough up a bit more.

Last edited:
Well dayum, I totaled my car today. We are fine. Wasn't my fault. Was driving straight down the road, with no obstructions and a car waiting to turn out of an apartment complex must not have seen me and pulled out and t-boned me as I was passing. The crazy part is that the impact caused my car to roll over on its roof. Sucker is totaled. Sucks b/c I only had less than 1 year left on it and it was going to my 16-year-old daughter in Feb when she turned 17.
"That car was one day away from retirement!"

Seriously, glad you're okay.

Glad you guys are ok. We are going through this also. We were hit at a 4 way stop, with 2 lanes in each direction. It was pretty busy that night. As we were making a left,my wife yielded then took her turn. A lady going straight rolled through hers and never slowed down. 100% their fault and we had a great officer on the scene.

We are still negotiating the settlement. It was a fair offer based on other similar cars in our area. We are discussing deductible, a rack system which we could not remove, and registration which we just received a day before the accident.

Good luck to you guys

Do your own research on what a replacement will cost. Get a long list of comparable cars for sale in your area. Don't cherry pick a few that a good prices. Pick ones taht are the closest match to your car's options and mileage. If they don't give you what you want you ca fight it. Your comparable list will let you know if you get a good price, but will also be what you need to fight their estimate.

All good advice. Only item I will add is to not be afraid to push back if not pleased with initial offer. Did on my son's car a couple of years back and wound up getting another $1.5-2K. Have your comparables ready.

Good luck!

Feels like there was a similar thread recently. I work in the industry (not US though), can only echo what's already been said - do some research and look up comparable vehicles on whatever the US equivalent of AutoTrader is, so you can get an idea of what the pre-accident value is, then if there seriously lowballing you, you can argue the toss with them. Got to take into account stuff like differing mileage, condition etc, but you should get a decent idea, even if it is just to know that it's not worth your time to chase an additional couple of hundred bucks

How are you and your daughter doing still good? How's the insurance redtape progressing?

How are you and your daughter doing still good? How's the insurance redtape progressing?
thanks for asking...we are both fine. the official appraisal is taking longer thanks to the holiday weekend. MY agent just text me and hopefully, we will have a number tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Sucks b/c now I lose a little bit of leverage at the dealership getting something new b/c of the whole end-of-the-month push thing. Tomorrow is the 1st and I know that are not as hungry to deal as they are today.

thanks for asking...we are both fine. the official appraisal is taking longer thanks to the holiday weekend. MY agent just text me and hopefully, we will have a number tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Sucks b/c now I lose a little bit of leverage at the dealership getting something new b/c of the whole end-of-the-month push thing. Tomorrow is the 1st and I know that are not as hungry to deal as they are today.
Maybe not today but I can’t imagine dealers are super busy this time of year.

Reminding me of the name of our University intramural basketball team when I was in law school - "YMBIANEKI"

(you might be injured and not even know it)

Dealers are always hungry.

and so it begins, offer tendered and (shocker) its far less than I expected. I'm waiting on the comps that they used.

what is getting me is that they are flat out telling me that they will not reimburse "actual replacement" cost, but only the value they determine. So things like fees and "tricks" dealers use to price their cars. Which I get giving that the more I shop I realize how slimy, hidden and random dealers are with their prices. But that still translates into $2-3K that I had no need to worry about had this guy not hit me.

also, they listed my car is of "average" condition b/c they could not confirm the actual quality of my car b/c it was totaled. My rep said that they deducted another $2100 off the evaluation b/c of it. So now I have to prove that my car was in good body condition prior to the accident. But its not like I took photos of my car on a daily basis.

So I obv declined the offer until I see their comps and such.

GRrrrr so frustrating, IDK why I was hoping it would be easier.

and so it begins, offer tendered and (shocker) its far less than I expected. I'm waiting on the comps that they used.

what is getting me is that they are flat out telling me that they will not reimburse "actual replacement" cost, but only the value they determine. So things like fees and "tricks" dealers use to price their cars. Which I get giving that the more I shop I realize how slimy, hidden and random dealers are with their prices. But that still translates into $2-3K that I had no need to worry about had this guy not hit me.

also, they listed my car is of "average" condition b/c they could not confirm the actual quality of my car b/c it was totaled. My rep said that they deducted another $2100 off the evaluation b/c of it. So now I have to prove that my car was in good body condition prior to the accident. But its not like I took photos of my car on a daily basis.

That sucks, such a huge pain in the *** to deal with.

Yep - they count on you needing the money and try and screw you. See my post above. Exactly what they are doing. When you get the comps there will be nebulous adjustments to the sale price (in their favor). They will ding the true value of your car, which obviously they did. In my case they even lied about the condition of the tires (which were, sadly, almost new) and dinged us for that. Complete ****ing scam. Unfortunately you're in the position of fighting them and it's unlikely that their maximum is anywhere near the actual value of your vehicle. At that point they will just balk and tell you to subrogate.

And, funny thing is, my brother works for the same insurance company in special lines (boats, trailers, RVs, etc.) and they run that business way different. On the car side it's about squeezing a few k from every settlement.

Very sorry to hear... it's a very consuming process. We received our settlement over the weekend and are now shopping for a replacement. We see one we like at a reasonable price, but it is 1 1/2 hrs away with their closing hours at 5:30p. Both wife and I have to go to the buzzer at 4-5p. :rant:

Edit: plus we had a nice rack system and winter tires on the suv that was totalled.

I just T-Boned a gal trying to make a U-Turn last Thursday on my way home work. I'm not liking what I'm reading here so far,

Where is the best place to find comps?

shoulda claimed nerve pain. :unsure: it wouldn't hurt to get some representation on your side.

I just T-Boned a gal trying to make a U-Turn last Thursday on my way home work. I'm not liking what I'm reading here so far,

ugh sorry to hear. did they assign fault yet?
so far I've been looking at local car dealerships. They apparently want comps within a specific range from your zip code. I have some from Carvana but I'm not sure if they will accept them.

ugh sorry to hear. did they assign fault yet?
so far I've been looking at local car dealerships. They apparently want comps within a specific range from your zip code. I have some from Carvana but I'm not sure if they will accept them.
50 miles, I think. They'll stretch further if it was a rarer vehicle. Maybe there aren't enough comps in your general area for your Aventador?

Users who are viewing this thread