What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trader Joe's Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Actually never got in a fight at TJs over anything. Fair prices, reasonable people at the check out, kind of a perfect spot for me. I like their meat dept, at least in Los Ang it was perfectly fine for me.

I always considered it a privilege to be in that store.
:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
Put another way, MOP does not act a fool in places he actually likes or would risk entry in the door.

Edit to add: Also the level of human competence from the cashier to the customers is light years ahead of the idiots that fill Kash n Karry, Kroger's, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, and whatever other big chain stores you can find. I meet people who say they despise TJ's down here in Florida, that is pretty telling of whether I can breathe air in the same room with them.
Trader Joes is a big chain. I don't think the problem is idiots working at other chains, the problem is you.
I think it may also be TJs has a better customer service training program than most other stores.

I'm very curious what the future of stores like TJ and WF looks like.

If you want quality local produce and meats, it seems other avenues are on the rise. Farmer's markets, CSA, organic butchers....ways to get these things closer to the source.

Then you've got regular grocery stores seeming to work hard to get these sorts of options available too.

It seems true super duper health hippies can skip the TJ/WF altogether, and regular grocery stores might be able to satisfy the regular folk that just want some things of a little higher quality (or that advertise a little higher quality).

Though, I guess there will always be a steady supply of soccer moms with too much money to spend.
We build specialty stores.... Like http://www.ibfoods.com/

I'm a bigger fan of the most qualty Meats, Fish and Produce over gimmicks.....

Give me a great Italian Specialty store with Fresh Mozz / tons of cheeses & aged beef over some cookies & crappy frozen meals..

may be the most overrated store in history..
I'm leaning this way.
I agree with this. Like the Buffalo Jerky and Cheese Popcorn, but that's about it.
Well I think the general TJ shopper is going there for healthier foods and that's the big appeal to it. If you're going there to get food that you can get at 711, just go to 711.
You're going for food that claims to be healthy. But it ends up that most of it is pre-prepared and loaded with too much salt or sugar.

You're going for food that claims to be healthy. But it ends up that most of it is pre-prepared and loaded with too much salt or sugar.
See I don't view TJs like that at all. Great place for wine and cheese, better tasting snacks, processed cookies, frozen pizzas. None of that is healthy by any stretch. But if you want to shorten your life like I seem to do then you might as well save a few bucks along the way and get the best tasting horrible food for yourself. Those PnB Pretzels are the bomb. I'm well aware it all has a lot of sugar and salt. They also have great beer prices and their milk/eggs/breads are also very tasty.

I'm not sure who is going in there thinking it is a health store like say Whole Foods customers. WF is not really that healthy either but they do have products and food available for those that choose a healthier lifestyle but at the same time they have enough junk food to kill a Russian Army.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning this way.
I agree with this. Like the Buffalo Jerky and Cheese Popcorn, but that's about it.
Well I think the general TJ shopper is going there for healthier foods and that's the big appeal to it. If you're going there to get food that you can get at 711, just go to 711.
Well of course all the pre-prepared food is loaded with that stuff. All pre-prepared food is. If it wasn't, it would go bad. My wife does most of the shopping there, but she always finds good pre-mixed grains and frozen foods. Also, we have quite a few friends/family that are gluten free or vegetarian. They have a lot more options for those type items than a traditional food store.

Yes, Whole Foods has a ton more, but Whole Foods costs almost double.

If you eat only traditional or "manly" food, then yeah, TJ's probably doesn't really offer anything that any food store doesn't sell. If you're eating chicken or beef mixed with a side of a potato of vegetables, then there is no need to go to TJ.

They just opened one of these in Tampa and people were waiting in line for hours to get in. There was one person there since midnight. They could have driven back & forth to the Sarasota location several times in the 8 hours they spent waiting.
I was in Tampa this past week and we passed that new Trader Joe's several times on Friday (opening day) and Saturday, it was ridiculous. The streets were packed, police were directing traffic, and houses nearby were letting people park in their yard for $5. Insane.

They just opened one of these in Tampa and people were waiting in line for hours to get in. There was one person there since midnight. They could have driven back & forth to the Sarasota location several times in the 8 hours they spent waiting.
I was in Tampa this past week and we passed that new Trader Joe's several times on Friday (opening day) and Saturday, it was ridiculous. The streets were packed, police were directing traffic, and houses nearby were letting people park in their yard for $5. Insane.
:confused: its nothing special

Walmart is the cheapest and that's the most important factor to most people. If your lucky you can even get meat laced with LSD there.

If you want quality local produce and meats, it seems other avenues are on the rise. Farmer's markets, CSA, organic butchers....ways to get these things closer to the source.

Then you've got regular grocery stores seeming to work hard to get these sorts of options available too.

It seems true super duper health hippies can skip the TJ/WF altogether, and regular grocery stores might be able to satisfy the regular folk that just want some things of a little higher quality (or that advertise a little higher quality).

Though, I guess there will always be a steady supply of soccer moms with too much money to spend.

Give me a great Italian Specialty store with Fresh Mozz / tons of cheeses & aged beef over some cookies & crappy frozen meals..
:thumbup:

I live only a few blocks from Iavarone's on Grand Ave. in Queens. What a great, great store. I bring people from work in there and they are blown away. We buy all our cold cuts and meats from them. Plus their pasta and sauces are great. Their Café in New Hyde Park is awesome too. Last time I went past they were expanding the store. Good thing, that place is a madhouse around lunchtime.

I'm leaning this way.
I don't notice that much healthy or organic products though really. Whole Foods is the place for that. I'm still not sure what makes trader joes special.

I love Trader Joe's but this sounds insane to me.

They have been hyping this place for over a year. It started with leaks of a TJ looking for a Tampa location. All the "rumored location" news kept fueling the fire.

What items at Trader Joe's would MoP fight over?
Actually never got in a fight at TJs over anything. Fair prices, reasonable people at the check out, kind of a perfect spot for me. I like their meat dept, at least in Los Ang it was perfectly fine for me.

I always considered it a privilege to be in that store.
Every TJs around here has smiling employees . That odd in these parts

Same way where I am, the employees are always really nice. TJs and Costco seem to have happy employees in my experience. I know Costco is good to their employees, not sure how TJs is.

I hadn't been to Trader Joe's in a few years, but I wandered in there a couple days ago and loved it. I need to make it a more regular habit.

I got some dry-roasted coconut chips that taste fantastic. Some dried peas that are surprisingly snack-worthy. Some canned refried beans, canned crab meat, and canned clams that are significantly cheaper than at Whole Foods.

I'm going to go back just to get more of those coconut chips. They're really delicious.

Also the level of human competence from the cashier to the customers is light years ahead of the idiots that fill Kash n Karry, Kroger's, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, and whatever other big chain stores you can find.
I'm not a big fan of overly friendly employees. My conversation at the register on Wednesday went like this:

Her: Hey, how's it going?

Me: Hi.

Her: So how has your day been? What have you been up to?

Me: Um, I don't really have any stories worth telling.

Her: So you've just been, like, driving around and stuff?

Me: :confused:

I'm not going to hold it against someone for trying to be nice, but that's a little nosier than I'd prefer.

Maurile Tremblay said:
I hadn't been to Trader Joe's in a few years, but I wandered in there a couple days ago and loved it. I need to make it a more regular habit.

I got some dry-roasted coconut chips that taste fantastic. Some dried peas that are surprisingly snack-worthy. Some canned refried beans, canned crab meat, and canned clams that are significantly cheaper than at Whole Foods.

I'm going to go back just to get more of those coconut chips. They're really delicious.

Also the level of human competence from the cashier to the customers is light years ahead of the idiots that fill Kash n Karry, Kroger's, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, and whatever other big chain stores you can find.
I'm not a big fan of overly friendly employees. My conversation at the register on Wednesday went like this:

I'm not going to hold it against someone for trying to be nice, but that's a little nosier than I'd prefer.
Next time tell them the EG ####-your-pants-threesome story as if it was you and see what they say.

I admit, I'm addicted to TJ since they opened a store here in September. Buy like 90% of my food there now.

Maurile Tremblay said:

:lol:

She was hopped up on caffeine. I'll take friendly over doesn't even acknowledge you.

The Diet Hansen's Sugar-free Tangerine/Lime soda is fantastic with vodka if you're looking to cut carbs but still want to get hammered.
I stand by this over two years later. Half this, half club soda. You can find it in a lot more places now, too. I really need someone here to try it and confirm how right I am. And then it will be famous and I can order it at bars.
Just went to Trader Joe's for the first time this past weekend.
This is odd. I'd assume this would make a good residence for you.

It's just a niche little grocery store that appeals to some folks. Certainly not everyone has to like it, in fact the less who shop there the better at this point. We don't need to convince people of the values or cool stuff there, just stay away and keep those parking lots only about half full so the rest of us can get in and out of there.

I just went to my local Trader Joes for the first time. Nice store, but the cashier asked me if I "had any big plans to enjoy this lovely weather." I may give them another chance someday but I doubt I'll come here regularly if that's the level of intrusiveness I can expect.

I just went to my local Trader Joes for the first time. Nice store, but the cashier asked me if I "had any big plans to enjoy this lovely weather." I may give them another chance someday but I doubt I'll come here regularly if that's the level of intrusiveness I can expect.

We're getting one in Colorado Springs next year. People are already going nuts.
This is exactly what happened in Tampa, and it was only fueled more by local news. Every station had reporters at the grand opening. Scarcity has definitely helped Trader Joes marketing.

Here is there method,

-announce they are looking at your city

-chaos ensues

-zoning permits, etc. for retail/ parking expansions indicate the possible selected site

-chaos ensues

-official announcement of all the rumors everyone already knew are made

-chaos ensues

-count down to grand opening begins

-idiots line up 24hrs in advance to by frozen pizza and other novelty snacks

Love TJ's but neither their bread or their milk lasts as long as their sell by date.
My wife who never looks at expiration dates bought two gallons of milk that were two days from expiration. They were both spoiled.

Just saw they are opening one of these http://www.naturalgrocers.com/ in a few weeks. Anyone ever been? I've never even heard of this place but it looks pretty good, like a TJ/WF/Co-op ******* child.
Anyone living in the Rockies or west coast should check this place out. I stopped in yesterday and they have all kinds of healthy food, supplements, etc. Some stuff is a little pricey but overall it seems to be a poor man's Whole Foods. Lots of variety in the produce section, all their meats are "naturally raised", and the employees don't get into your bidness. No I do not work for Natural Grocers.

Hey Reaper !

I'm in the Wantagh store at least once a week - love that place. Fresh pasta, steaks, vegetables - all awesome

Place is a gold mine.

Love TJ's but neither their bread or their milk lasts as long as their sell by date.
My wife who never looks at expiration dates bought two gallons of milk that were two days from expiration. They were both spoiled.
It's an epidemic. Mine is the same way. I rarely let her hop at the grocery store for us.

It's an epidemic. Mine is the same way. I rarely let her hop at the grocery store for us.
I pull the same move your wife pulls. Do a really lousy job cleaning stuff a couple of times and now I'm "not allowed" to clean the kitchen. Oh darn.

I've had OK success with the milk, but you're right about the bread - gets moldy real quickly. I guess they must use less preservatives?

Ministry of Pain said:
She's too busy hopping the gardener anyways.

It's just a niche little grocery store that appeals to some folks. Certainly not everyone has to like it, in fact the less who shop there the better at this point. We don't need to convince people of the values or cool stuff there, just stay away and keep those parking lots only about half full so the rest of us can get in and out of there.
Thanks for the summary.

Stopped in there this morning and the nice lady at the checkout called me sweetheart as she handed me my bag. We discussed the weather a little bit as well. Picked up all the staples. emer-gen-c, couple unsweetened vanilla almond milks, bananas, greek yogurts, couple country Italian salads, reduced guilt sesame pita chips, olives, black beans, dark chocolate bars, cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream, macallan, forgetting a few things but damn, what a hall.

Stopped in there this morning and the nice lady at the checkout called me sweetheart as she handed me my bag. We discussed the weather a little bit as well. Picked up all the staples. emer-gen-c, couple unsweetened vanilla almond milks, bananas, greek yogurts, couple country Italian salads, reduced guilt sesame pita chips, olives, black beans, dark chocolate bars, cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream, macallan, forgetting a few things but damn, what a hall.

Can't do this in Florida locations. Unique to Cali from what I have seen. The reduced guilt pita chips and ccsic is still empty calories, bub.

Can't do this in Florida locations. Unique to Cali from what I have seen. The reduced guilt pita chips and ccsic is still empty calories, bub.
They passed a law this year that you have to pay for bags. You either bring in your own reusable bag or pay 10 cents for a paper bag. No more plastic at places like Ralph's. Kind of nuts if you ask me. Don't these lawmakers know people are buying up landfills now? I forgot my bag the other day and had to buy one. The thing was filled to the brim with all kinds of booze and candy. Lady asked my if I wanted a double bag, i said no thanks as i didn't want spend the extra dime. Huge mistake. Thing started ripping about 3 steps into the parking lot. Had to cradle that bag of potent potables like a baby the rest of the way.

The hard liquor, beer & wine are enough to make it worth the trip.

Best deal on Tres Generacions in town by a wide margin. Not a great tequila but it's a good one and at $30/750ml it is just about perfect.

They passed a law this year that you have to pay for bags. You either bring in your own reusable bag or pay 10 cents for a paper bag. No more plastic at places like Ralph's. Kind of nuts if you ask me. Don't these lawmakers know people are buying up landfills now? I forgot my bag the other day and had to buy one. The thing was filled to the brim with all kinds of booze and candy. Lady asked my if I wanted a double bag, i said no thanks as i didn't want spend the extra dime. Huge mistake. Thing started ripping about 3 steps into the parking lot. Had to cradle that bag of potent potables like a baby the rest of the way.
:lmao: :lmao:

That's awesome. Not the bag breaking but the story itself and buying bags. 10 cents a bag isn't bad at TJs, I never had more than 2-3 bags leaving there.

The hard liquor, beer & wine are enough to make it worth the trip.

Best deal on Tres Generacions in town by a wide margin. Not a great tequila but it's a good one and at $30/750ml it is just about perfect.
Agree, I still have bottles of the 16 yr single malt scotch by Macallan I would get for about $30 a bottle. They blow folks away on liquor, also used to be able to get a 6 pack of some nice Euro beers for $3.99 and then eventually the prices trickled up a bit. Still was able to find some nice craft beers from Northern Cali super reasonable. And wine, take your pick, always bottle for under $8.

Users who are viewing this thread