What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trader Joe's Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Stopped in there this morning and the nice lady at the checkout called me sweetheart as she handed me my bag. We discussed the weather a little bit as well. Picked up all the staples. emer-gen-c, couple unsweetened vanilla almond milks, bananas, greek yogurts, couple country Italian salads, reduced guilt sesame pita chips, olives, black beans, dark chocolate bars, cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream, macallan, forgetting a few things but damn, what a hall.
:lmao:

Can't do this in Florida locations. Unique to Cali from what I have seen. The reduced guilt pita chips and ccsic is still empty calories, bub.
Cali sells booze everywhere. One of the often-missed reasons why it's a thousand times better that the craphole that is Florida. Grocery stores sell liquor. Pharmacies do. You can booze up at a gas station. They'll even sell you booze through a drive-thru window. It's awesome.

The hard liquor, beer & wine are enough to make it worth the trip.

Best deal on Tres Generacions in town by a wide margin. Not a great tequila but it's a good one and at $30/750ml it is just about perfect.
Agree, I still have bottles of the 16 yr single malt scotch by Macallan I would get for about $30 a bottle. They blow folks away on liquor, also used to be able to get a 6 pack of some nice Euro beers for $3.99 and then eventually the prices trickled up a bit. Still was able to find some nice craft beers from Northern Cali super reasonable. And wine, take your pick, always bottle for under $8.
Their liquor prices used to be great, but they aren't anything special anymore. Sure, cheaper than a grocery store. But they are more expensive than my go to liquor store.

Best deal on Tres Generacions in town by a wide margin. Not a great tequila but it's a good one and at $30/750ml it is just about perfect.
Agree, I still have bottles of the 16 yr single malt scotch by Macallan I would get for about $30 a bottle. They blow folks away on liquor, also used to be able to get a 6 pack of some nice Euro beers for $3.99 and then eventually the prices trickled up a bit. Still was able to find some nice craft beers from Northern Cali super reasonable. And wine, take your pick, always bottle for under $8.
Their liquor prices used to be great, but they aren't anything special anymore. Sure, cheaper than a grocery store. But they are more expensive than my go to liquor store.
Not mine, not by a long shot. I get the Tres Generacions Anejo for $9 less than any liquor store in town. There are tons of those kinds of bargains on booze at my TJs.

Stopped in there this morning and the nice lady at the checkout called me sweetheart as she handed me my bag. We discussed the weather a little bit as well. Picked up all the staples. emer-gen-c, couple unsweetened vanilla almond milks, bananas, greek yogurts, couple country Italian salads, reduced guilt sesame pita chips, olives, black beans, dark chocolate bars, cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream, macallan, forgetting a few things but damn, what a hall.
"One in the line!"

Huge generalization here. I'm not sure Walmart shoppers care for organic food. I dont go out of my way to go to a Walmart to save a few bucks on a t-shirt and I wouldn't do it to save a few bucks on organic foods either

My aupair went there the other day and returned with some delicious letter shaped cookies for the kid. I have eaten almost half of the tub.

Anybody else's TJ store so crowded all the time that it makes shopping there horrible?

We have two- and they're both typically backed up out the door to get in, and a line snaking all the way around the store to check out.

NYCers and a bargain... look-out.

Anybody else's TJ store so crowded all the time that it makes shopping there horrible?

We have two- and they're both typically backed up out the door to get in, and a line snaking all the way around the store to check out.

They're all like this.

I think miniature parking lots are kind of their schtick, too. I swear, there's one by me that's enormous, they moved into a vacated Blockbuster Video that's just huge. I think they removed parking spaces to put in more plants. That, and it's just as spartan as any other Trader Joes... they don't have more stuff, it's got the same inventory as every other TJ's I've been in. It's just that the aisles are eleven feet apart.
the two I know in NYC- aisles are practically on top of eachother, often with cleared out shelves, and a line of people snaking through them waiting to get to the cash registers.

it's terrible enough that we just don't go.

eta: pretty much the moment you start shopping, you're also on line to check out, because there's not room to move anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

The one in SF right at the border of SOMA and the Mission District is like this, plus 75% of the crowd ranges from fairly wacky individuals to F-R-E-A-K-S.

They're all like this.

I think miniature parking lots are kind of their schtick, too. I swear, there's one by me that's enormous, they moved into a vacated Blockbuster Video that's just huge. I think they removed parking spaces to put in more plants. That, and it's just as spartan as any other Trader Joes... they don't have more stuff, it's got the same inventory as every other TJ's I've been in. It's just that the aisles are eleven feet apart.
We are FINALLY getting one here in Memphis (near my house to boot), but I hate crowded shopping. Is this place going to annoy me? I want to love it as i've heard great things...

They're all like this.

We are FINALLY getting one here in Memphis (near my house to boot), but I hate crowded shopping. Is this place going to annoy me? I want to love it as i've heard great things...
Probably won't be a problem as most Trader Joe's foods won't make shoppers morbidly obese under normal use.

Things we Buy almost every trip to TJ's:

-"Avogadro's Number" premade guacamole. - fantastic

- blue corn tortilla chips

- dark chocolate pretzel thins

- six pack of beer (mixed)

- chicken tikka masala frozen meal

Josefbrau is also quite good. Their Bohemian lager is quite nice, as are a couple of the other varieties.

But I am not an uber beer snob / d_bag hipster.

:penalty:

I'll second Avocado's Number guac.

Office snack drawer: Cowboy Bark, pumpkin seeds, Breakfast Trail Mix, Tempting Trail Mix, cinnamon sticks, Plantain Chips, Chocolate Covered Potato Chips, Nutty Bark, chocolate-covered powerberries, Peanut Butter Cup trail mix, banana chips.

The Lemon Chicken breast and the Rosemary Chicken breast (purple label) are good. Some good tortilla chips.

Cheese selection is great. The three-pack sampler is stellar.
I've been eating the rosemary chicken breast with my daughter since she was a toddler. Throw in a microwaved bag of veggies and you have a good solid meal that's easy to prepare.

Learning that Trader Joe's sells liquor makes me sad that I live in an ABC state.
The one great thing about California that makes it impossible to leave. Everywhere sells alcohol. TJ's has great beers in their own brand name, plus carry a ton of others. And wines. And you can get wine and Jack Daniel's at CVS. Beer at a gas station. It's glorious.
I can get beer and wine at most places, including Trader Joe's. It is just the hard liquor that I can only buy from an ABC store.

Learning that Trader Joe's sells liquor makes me sad that I live in an ABC state.
The one great thing about California that makes it impossible to leave. Everywhere sells alcohol. TJ's has great beers in their own brand name, plus carry a ton of others. And wines. And you can get wine and Jack Daniel's at CVS. Beer at a gas station. It's glorious.
True but the bars close at 2:00 am, and I have seen last call as early as 1:15 am.

TJ's has some great value (cheap) wines too. Always love checking out the tasting desk for new arrivals.

The wife brought home some TJs Cheddar and Horseradish potato chips that are pretty darn good. Got some zing to them.

Other faves from TJs:

Rosemary Marcona Almonds

Half popped Popcorn

Reduced Fat Mac & Cheese

Concentrated Cold Brew Coffee - mix it with milk and/or chocolate milk :banned:

Vegetarian Corn Dogs - don't knock it till you try it.

Users who are viewing this thread