What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trader Joe's Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Wife came home the other day from the Trader Joe's that opened up on Valentine's day here in Colorado. She said the lady at the register said she had the "Longest receipt she's seen so far"... Awesome :cry: .

The Diet Hansen's Sugar-free Tangerine/Lime soda is fantastic with vodka if you're looking to cut carbs but still want to get hammered.
I stand by this over two years later. Half this, half club soda. You can find it in a lot more places now, too. I really need someone here to try it and confirm how right I am. And then it will be famous and I can order it at bars.

The Diet Hansen's Sugar-free Tangerine/Lime soda is fantastic with vodka if you're looking to cut carbs but still want to get hammered.
I stand by this over two years later. Half this, half club soda. You can find it in a lot more places now, too. I really need someone here to try it and confirm how right I am. And then it will be famous and I can order it at bars.
Just went to Trader Joe's for the first time this past weekend. Lots of good stuff. I'll look for this next time I go. :thumbup:

Tried it again... I get some Frozen Appetizer type things... They ALL sucked...

I just don't get it... My wife says ppl go for organic milk and eggs??????

The Fruit isn't anything great - the Meat dept is nothing special....

Only things I like so far are the Jo-Jos at Christmas and the flowers seem to be a good deal.

TJ's South African Smoke Seasoning very tasty. Add to a BBQ rub, it's pretty tasty.

TJ's Smoked Ghost Chilies......HOT!

I was planning my first ever trip here soon but there seems to be a lot of folks down on them now. My SIL loves the place - it's up for debate on whether that's a point in their favor.

I don't see anything about whether some of these meals they sell are low-carb. Any good ones in that category?

I must look like a dork when I go to TJs.

My cart was filled with frozen pizza, frozen pasta meals and cereal. This last time I threw in a baguette to look less like an idiot.

Also

Checking in.

Westfield NJ parking sucks

Princeton is fine

Haven't been to one in a while. I usually get stuff from my folks when they come down. They have one within minutes of their house and our closest is 20 miles away in a place we rarely go. :(

What I get are the spices, the Everyday Seasoning is wonderful. It is a combo of Sea Salt, Mustard Seeds, Black Peppercorns, coriander, onion, Garlic, Paprika, and Chilli Pepper and comes in a grinder. They have a bunch of different kinds and they are really inexpensive.

The frozen pizzas are delicious. Cheese only is the way to go, might even be a TJ brand, been a while since I bought one of them. Put a little olive oil on it and yum yum.

Choc chip cookies in a tub...very very I think, outrageous. Milk and eggs are great there. Lot of good canned items, nice selection of frozen stuff.

Agree on skipping the produce for the most part, they are not Whole Foods. Their specialty items are dirt chip, bags of snacks are also awesome.

A lot of the food is not really healthy but they beat the hell out of most Frito-Lay type snacks.

Red wine very affordable, not just 3 buck chuck.

What items at Trader Joe's would MoP fight over?
Actually never got in a fight at TJs over anything. Fair prices, reasonable people at the check out, kind of a perfect spot for me. I like their meat dept, at least in Los Ang it was perfectly fine for me.

I always considered it a privilege to be in that store.

No wine in PA TJs but there's a state liquor store 2 doors down in the shopping center. Last time there we bought a frozen bag of mushroom medley. It looked great in the bag and I'm a big mushroom fan so I figured I'd give it a try. Had to add garlic powder to advance it beyond merely palatable and put it over some deer steaks. Even then it was meh.

No wine in PA TJs but there's a state liquor store 2 doors down in the shopping center. Last time there we bought a frozen bag of mushroom medley. It looked great in the bag and I'm a big mushroom fan so I figured I'd give it a try. Had to add garlic powder to advance it beyond merely palatable and put it over some deer steaks. Even then it was meh.
Who buy's that crap and who is eating deer?

Who buy's that crap and who is eating deer?
Have you seen the price of beef lately?

The Trader Joe's in Chelsea is my go to grocery store in New York City. I'm sure there are better alternatives in other cities, but not here unless you want to pay at least 2x as much for the same thing. I agree their produce is not as good as Whole Foods, but it's also not outrageously overpriced.

comfortably numb said:

My cart was filled with frozen pizza, frozen pasta meals and cereal. This last time I threw in a baguette to look less like an idiot.

Also

Checking in.

Princeton is fine
TJs frozen pizza is fantastic. No shtick. Their cereal selection is great too. Don't be ashamed about any of this.

The Trader Joe's in Chelsea is my go to grocery store in New York City. I'm sure there are better alternatives in other cities, but not here unless you want to pay at least 2x as much for the same thing. I agree their produce is not as good as Whole Foods, but it's also not outrageously overpriced.
Bingo

Just finished a very drinkable $7.99 bottle of Chardonnay and am now munching on some flax-seed pita note crackers with almond butter. All from TJs and very delightful.

comfortably numb said:

Also

Checking in.

Princeton is fine
TJs frozen pizza is fantastic. No shtick. Their cereal selection is great too. Don't be ashamed about any of this.
Yeah, TJ's frozen pizzas. I second that.

I'm very curious what the future of stores like TJ and WF looks like.

If you want quality local produce and meats, it seems other avenues are on the rise. Farmer's markets, CSA, organic butchers....ways to get these things closer to the source.

Then you've got regular grocery stores seeming to work hard to get these sorts of options available too.

It seems true super duper health hippies can skip the TJ/WF altogether, and regular grocery stores might be able to satisfy the regular folk that just want some things of a little higher quality (or that advertise a little higher quality).

Though, I guess there will always be a steady supply of soccer moms with too much money to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually never got in a fight at TJs over anything. Fair prices, reasonable people at the check out, kind of a perfect spot for me. I like their meat dept, at least in Los Ang it was perfectly fine for me.

:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
Put another way, MOP does not act a fool in places he actually likes or would risk entry in the door.

Edit to add: Also the level of human competence from the cashier to the customers is light years ahead of the idiots that fill Kash n Karry, Kroger's, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, and whatever other big chain stores you can find. I meet people who say they despise TJ's down here in Florida, that is pretty telling of whether I can breathe air in the same room with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
comfortably numb said:

Also

Checking in.

Princeton is fine
You seriously purchased a baguette, because you cared so much what others might think about what you were buying? Why would anyone care?

I like Trader Joes for cheap wine, olive oil, and triple ginger cookies, but for the most part I wouldn't miss them if they weren't around.

:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
Put another way, MOP does not act a fool in places he actually likes or would risk entry in the door.

Edit to add: Also the level of human competence from the cashier to the customers is light years ahead of the idiots that fill Kash n Karry, Kroger's, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Albertson's, and whatever other big chain stores you can find. I meet people who say they despise TJ's down here in Florida, that is pretty telling of whether I can breathe air in the same room with them.
Trader Joes is a big chain. I don't think the problem is idiots working at other chains, the problem is you.

Users who are viewing this thread