What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travis Henry. Marijuana. Suspension? (1 Viewer)

THC will show up in the follicles for 6 months, correct? Urine for a month at the most, correct? If he passes a hair test, which I'm assuming is more accurate than the urine test, wouldn't that settle the matter?
Its a similar procedure w/ similar using the same techniques to analyze the hair and the urine sample. The Hair test is done w/ radioimmunoassay typically for the A sample and then if positive the B sample will be run through Mass Spec Analysis. One problem or issue would be 1) Henry is African American, Its not fact, but many studies have shown that depending on race, there are greater chances of false positives w/ the Hair test. 2) may not have the necessary hair length (usually keeps it short I think) almost buzzed to assay whats needed.Urine tests are done first w/ an immunoassay and then Mass Spec. for the B sample. Neither way is more accurate than the other. The hair test can date back further than the urine test. You all probably just read way more about Science than you actually wanted to know.--your friend, The ScientistETA: In court if that B sample tested positive he is guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Denver Post:

The Broncos have used lie detector tests on players in the past. Henry also is willing to provide hair samples for testing in an attempt to prove his innocence.

A possible defense for Henry is that his urine tested positive for low levels of THC from marijuana because he was subjected to second-hand smoke. Because the suit has been moved to federal court in New York, and Henry may appeal if not pleased with the outcome, this saga could stretch into November, potentially giving Henry another four or five games before he might serve a suspension.

I have always loved this defense... And I also dont think the NFL will care
Agreed. I'm no toxicologist, but I would also think that he would've needed to be hot-boxing with people that were puffing in order to have enough exposure for it to show up in a lab test...which I think the NFL would find to be a violation of the general code of conduct.
while the courts may buy this defense in certain situations, I really don't think Commisioner Godell will care. He'll say (and rightfully so) that a person in his position (being on the nfls suspenion drug rehab etc programrules etc) should not even be in aposition to inhale second hand dope, since you know the consequences if caught. Unless he can show he was in Jamaica, or maybe a reggae concert, I don't think he can justify why he inhaled enough second hand smoke to trigger the test?

THC will show up in the follicles for 6 months, correct? Urine for a month at the most, correct? If he passes a hair test, which I'm assuming is more accurate than the urine test, wouldn't that settle the matter?
THC will show up in hair tests for about 3 months. The person being tested usually has to have smoked at least 3 times within that time frame before it will show up. THC can show up in urine for up to a month, but most testers say 2 weeks is more accurate.

What an absolute joke that this even matters.

After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :coffee: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.

Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?

Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?

What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :ptts: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
one is legal, the other isn't ?

From the Denver Post:

The Broncos have used lie detector tests on players in the past. Henry also is willing to provide hair samples for testing in an attempt to prove his innocence.

A possible defense for Henry is that his urine tested positive for low levels of THC from marijuana because he was subjected to second-hand smoke. Because the suit has been moved to federal court in New York, and Henry may appeal if not pleased with the outcome, this saga could stretch into November, potentially giving Henry another four or five games before he might serve a suspension.

Agreed. I'm no toxicologist, but I would also think that he would've needed to be hot-boxing with people that were puffing in order to have enough exposure for it to show up in a lab test...which I think the NFL would find to be a violation of the general code of conduct.
while the courts may buy this defense in certain situations, I really don't think Commisioner Godell will care. He'll say (and rightfully so) that a person in his position (being on the nfls suspenion drug rehab etc programrules etc) should not even be in aposition to inhale second hand dope, since you know the consequences if caught. Unless he can show he was in Jamaica, or maybe a reggae concert, I don't think he can justify why he inhaled enough second hand smoke to trigger the test?
I believe Goodell is totally out of this, this is a matter outlined in the CBA....I don't think Goodell can touch him for this.And no way Goodell can say players can't hang around where pot is being smoked. Sorry, he's not their daddy

I believe Goodell is totally out of this, this is a matter outlined in the CBA....I don't think Goodell can touch him for this.And no way Goodell can say players can't hang around where pot is being smoked. Sorry, he's not their daddy
He is their boss and I don't think they would be able to hang around people smoking pot. You do not test positive for this test by just hanging out with people who are smoking pot.

From the Denver Post:

He can't? I dont think he needs to, as most players are smart enough to keep themselves out of stupid situations.

The DB for Cinci was suspended today for one game - for a substance violation from January. This Henry thing may linger on for quite some time.

A possible defense for Henry is that his urine tested positive for low levels of THC from marijuana because he was subjected to second-hand smoke
That defense will not stand up. I used to administer urine tests in the Marine Corps and I know exactly how the process works. Granted it may be little different on the civilian side of things, but I'm sure it's very similar.To fail a urine test for Marijuana you need to have a certain level of THC in your system. They set the level high enough so that it is physically impossible to pop positive by hanging out in a room full of heads lighting up. You could hang out at all the Dead concerts you wanted and not have to worry about failing a urine test. There have been tests conducted to prove this method, one of which included 6 individuals sitting at a table in a small, non-ventilated room. 3 smoking, the other just taking in the 2nd hand smoke.3 failed the test and 3 did not. Care to guess which 3 passed?Sorry, but Henry gets off it's due to technicality only. Now, fantasy owners could care less either way I'm sure. I just wonder if Shanahan does :unsure:

if a person is in a hotbox, im pretty sure that person would fail a urine test even if they didnt take any tokes. Not 100% sure though.

From the Denver Post:

I do not understand why everyone keeps saying the NFL won't care, if this is Henry's excuse. I don't see anywhere where Henry came out and said this. He may be stupid, but I would be surprised if this was his plan of attack. From what I can tell, this is just some writer at the Denver Post saying this "could" be a possible defense. No reason even discussing if the NFL would care if he got high from second had smoke IMO. His only chance is a loop hole in the system, from what I've read.

not too sure if its something i should be talking about here but...

Basically its going into warm room, preferably smaller, and smoking weed. An example wouldbe going into a washroom and turning on the hot water in the shower and the sink to create hot air and smoking weed. It basically intensifies the high by keeping all of the exhaled smoke from the weed in a confined space.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter believes it will realistically take a month before Travis Henry could miss an NFL game.

This news slipped through the cracks late week. The NFL first has to win their legal case with Henry, then they can suspend him. After that happens (which could take a while), Henry can appeal the suspension, which could take up to a month. It appears Henry will make it to November on the team, and it's possible he makes it through most of the year. Fantasy owners could try to buy low on him in the meantime. Henry missed practice Tuesday to challenge his drug test.

Crap,

If I don't get a better answer soon I might have to drop S. Young. I need the roster space bad. This stinks. Even if Henry does get suspended I think Young will be in a RBBC. I thought I struck gold picking him up so early. Now it looks like a waist of space and time.

Hug dog said:
Crap,If I don't get a better answer soon I might have to drop S. Young. I need the roster space bad. This stinks. Even if Henry does get suspended I think Young will be in a RBBC. I thought I struck gold picking him up so early. Now it looks like a waist of space and time.
Are you trying to convince yourself young isn't worth it?? I don't understand what has changed or are you listening to a lot of owners who hold one of the 5 RB's on the list of possible starters??

Wilkie said:
A possible defense for Henry is that his urine tested positive for low levels of THC from marijuana because he was subjected to second-hand smoke
That defense will not stand up. I used to administer urine tests in the Marine Corps and I know exactly how the process works. Granted it may be little different on the civilian side of things, but I'm sure it's very similar.To fail a urine test for Marijuana you need to have a certain level of THC in your system. They set the level high enough so that it is physically impossible to pop positive by hanging out in a room full of heads lighting up. You could hang out at all the Dead concerts you wanted and not have to worry about failing a urine test. There have been tests conducted to prove this method, one of which included 6 individuals sitting at a table in a small, non-ventilated room. 3 smoking, the other just taking in the 2nd hand smoke.3 failed the test and 3 did not. Care to guess which 3 passed?Sorry, but Henry gets off it's due to technicality only. Now, fantasy owners could care less either way I'm sure. I just wonder if Shanahan does :lmao:
How 'bout the Poppy Bagel Defense? :sadbanana:

4 - Digit Shark said:
From the Denver Post:

I do not understand why everyone keeps saying the NFL won't care, if this is Henry's excuse. I don't see anywhere where Henry came out and said this. He may be stupid, but I would be surprised if this was his plan of attack. From what I can tell, this is just some writer at the Denver Post saying this "could" be a possible defense. No reason even discussing if the NFL would care if he got high from second had smoke IMO. His only chance is a loop hole in the system, from what I've read.
This defense did not work for Mike Anderson a couple of years ago, and the THC was so small, it would be considered under legal limits of most states. (I don't know how exactly that works, but thats what I heard)

Wilkie said:
That defense will not stand up. I used to administer urine tests in the Marine Corps and I know exactly how the process works. Granted it may be little different on the civilian side of things, but I'm sure it's very similar.To fail a urine test for Marijuana you need to have a certain level of THC in your system. They set the level high enough so that it is physically impossible to pop positive by hanging out in a room full of heads lighting up. You could hang out at all the Dead concerts you wanted and not have to worry about failing a urine test. There have been tests conducted to prove this method, one of which included 6 individuals sitting at a table in a small, non-ventilated room. 3 smoking, the other just taking in the 2nd hand smoke.3 failed the test and 3 did not. Care to guess which 3 passed?Sorry, but Henry gets off it's due to technicality only. Now, fantasy owners could care less either way I'm sure. I just wonder if Shanahan does :lmao:
How 'bout the Poppy Bagel Defense? :thumbup:
I thought they were muffins?

As mentioned earlier, it looks like this thing is going to be a long process. I would not waive SY, but I would not count on using him until week 10+.

With the Broncos on their bye, Travis Henry was excused from practice Tuesday so that he could fly to New York to submit a hair sample and take a lie-detector test as part of challenging his positive drug test. The Denver Post reports that Henry's challenge "could take up to five weeks, including appeal time" and Adam Schefter of NFL Network suggests that it'll probably be at least a month before Henry potentially has to miss a game.

Assuming for a moment that the NFL wins their legal case against Henry, they must then issue a suspension and fight off an appeal, which will surely add significantly to the process. In other words, he's probably not going anywhere for a while and the Selvin Young train might have to go back into the station. For all coach Mike Shanahan's praise of Young and all the talk of him as the replacement, Henry has 80 percent of the carries that have gone to a Broncos running back.

For now, Young remains no more than an elite handcuff and Henry retains his RB1 status. Henry has averaged 21.4 touches and 110 total yards through five games, which ranks him 13th among all fantasy running backs despite reaching the end zone just once. Young has also played very well, averaging 8.6 yards per touch, but the fact that he got just one carry Sunday despite Henry's uncertain status makes it clear that he's not challenging for the starting job at this point.

the Longer Henry Drags this on, the worse it will be for him in the longrun.

I see the Broncos cutting ties with him after the season. a one year suspension that starts as late in the season as say week 12-14, will only limit his chances of signing with a team in 2008. Meaning he is likely to be out until the 2009 season.

Teams wont be spending much money on him as he will be a pushing 31 year old RB, with drug problems who hasnt played in 18+ months. Let alone handing him a feature role.

Again this is just all my speculation, and we have all seen how the Ricky Williams situation played out.

I just dont see how prolonging this will benefit either Henry or the Broncos. Broncos at best are a boarderline playoff team. Yes Henry may help them get there, but they will not go far without thier best Offensive player and a Rookie carrying the load. Not to mention a D that can not stop the run.

the Longer Henry Drags this on, the worse it will be for him in the longrun.I see the Broncos cutting ties with him after the season. a one year suspension that starts as late in the season as say week 12-14, will only limit his chances of signing with a team in 2008. Meaning he is likely to be out until the 2009 season. Teams wont be spending much money on him as he will be a pushing 31 year old RB, with drug problems who hasnt played in 18+ months. Let alone handing him a feature role.Again this is just all my speculation, and we have all seen how the Ricky Williams situation played out.I just dont see how prolonging this will benefit either Henry or the Broncos. Broncos at best are a boarderline playoff team. Yes Henry may help them get there, but they will not go far without thier best Offensive player and a Rookie carrying the load. Not to mention a D that can not stop the run.
I think the guy is a moron, dont get me wrong. But if him prolonging the situation keeps him in this season for another half a dozen weeks, thats great for me -- we all know none of us are drafting him next year, so this is the year to have him in terms of FF. Maybe he has himself in a big money league??

Travis Henry's strategy is to postpone this as long as possible so that he will continue to collect $150,000 (I think that's the correct #) game checks for each 2007 game that he plays. Also, for each 2007 game that he plays a court will likely deem him to have "earned" 1/16th of the portion of the signing bonus that he has already received (it was broken into several tranches). Henry has a lot of mouths to feed. If he loses this fight and is ultimately suspended he will never get an NFL contract above the league minimum. Thus, his approach to this matter makes complete sense (cents).

Travis Henry's strategy is to postpone this as long as possible so that he will continue to collect $150,000 (I think that's the correct #) game checks for each 2007 game that he plays. Also, for each 2007 game that he plays a court will likely deem him to have "earned" 1/16th of the portion of the signing bonus that he has already received (it was broken into several tranches). Henry has a lot of mouths to feed. If he loses this fight and is ultimately suspended he will never get an NFL contract above the league minimum. Thus, his approach to this matter makes complete sense (cents).
He should have thought of all them kids before he lit up. What a moron.

the Longer Henry Drags this on, the worse it will be for him in the longrun.I see the Broncos cutting ties with him after the season. a one year suspension that starts as late in the season as say week 12-14, will only limit his chances of signing with a team in 2008. Meaning he is likely to be out until the 2009 season. Teams wont be spending much money on him as he will be a pushing 31 year old RB, with drug problems who hasnt played in 18+ months. Let alone handing him a feature role.Again this is just all my speculation, and we have all seen how the Ricky Williams situation played out.I just dont see how prolonging this will benefit either Henry or the Broncos. Broncos at best are a boarderline playoff team. Yes Henry may help them get there, but they will not go far without thier best Offensive player and a Rookie carrying the load. Not to mention a D that can not stop the run.
I think he is pretty much done no matter what he does. If he tries to appeal, at least he has a small chance of being able to play all year.

His lawyers are loving the easy $ that Henry is feeding them. Too bad this POS doesn't send $ to his 9 children as quickly.

What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :wub: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
If I were doing the hiring, I wouldn't want either guy. But, make no mistake, I wouldn't want the smoker.

What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :wub: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
If I were doing the hiring, I wouldn't want either guy. But, make no mistake, I wouldn't want the smoker.
The drinker is doing something LEGAL.. The smoker is doing something Illegal . could have something to do with it..

Raiders Fan said:
gzilla said:
What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :2cents: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
The drinker is doing something LEGAL.. The smoker is doing something Illegal . could have something to do with it..
A better analogy would be "I'm going to pay you an absurd amount of money if you can just not smoke pot. Drink all you want so long as you can get your job done. But we will be drug testing you, and if you fail you are screwed"There is exactly 0 excuse for henry to be put in this situation. If it was second-hand smoke, then maybe he should have shown better judgement in who he hung around with.

From the Denver Post:

Aparently you haven't been watching the Godell ERA. While the collective bargaining agreement applies, with Henrys track record (with child support issues and drugs/alcohol i would think he would be one of the 'repeat offenders'. And Godell/the commishioner has braod powers to do what the want about cleaningup the nfls image. based on the alleged conduct and the defense i would think that even if it was overturned legally that godell could still assign punishment for violatingthe terms of the nfl sub abuse policy. Never seen a copy but it has GOT to mention, staying away from people or persons using drugs bad character. I think that Henry being in Thurmonds car while thurmond was arrested for DUI counted againts him IIRC.The nfl is a business. Even if he win at arbitration all that means h=us he gets salary, not to put on the pads ... i think.

gzilla said:
What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :yes: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
really? do you buy the demonization of drugs to this level. what a joke.

Raiders Fan said:
gzilla said:
What an absolute joke that this even matters. After I was hired at my last job, another new hire and I were talking about taking the urine test, since he had smoked recently and was worried he wouldn't pass. He said he smoked a blunt usually about every 2 weeks or so, but he did pass the test. Another guy who was hired not long before was one of the worst alcoholics I've ever met. Most nights he drank a bottle of vodka and would even drink 2 a night some weekends. He didn't smoke weed though, so no worries about getting hired. :loco: Personally, if I was doing the hiring, I'd want the smoker.Can someone explain to me why employers do not care if a person consumes large amounts of alcohol after work, but a blunt every now and then means they won't hire you? Why does this matter to the NFL?Does anyone here not have a problem with marijuana being on the banned substances list, and if not, why do you think they should be able to consume alcohol and not THC?
A better analogy would be "I'm going to pay you an absurd amount of money if you can just not smoke pot. Drink all you want so long as you can get your job done. But we will be drug testing you, and if you fail you are screwed"There is exactly 0 excuse for henry to be put in this situation. If it was second-hand smoke, then maybe he should have shown better judgement in who he hung around with.
This has been talked about... you can't get a positive test be 2nd hand.. He knows he is guilty but is doing everything he can to save that bonus..

From the Denver Post:

Aparently you haven't been watching the Godell ERA. While the collective bargaining agreement applies, with Henrys track record (with child support issues and drugs/alcohol i would think he would be one of the 'repeat offenders'. And Godell/the commishioner has braod powers to do what the want about cleaningup the nfls image. based on the alleged conduct and the defense i would think that even if it was overturned legally that godell could still assign punishment for violatingthe terms of the nfl sub abuse policy. Never seen a copy but it has GOT to mention, staying away from people or persons using drugs bad character. I think that Henry being in Thurmonds car while thurmond was arrested for DUI counted againts him IIRC.The nfl is a business. Even if he win at arbitration all that means h=us he gets salary, not to put on the pads ... i think.
I think Godell can touch him at some point, but won't until it's finished in court.

I have faith that he will make it the entire year without being suspended. That being said I have several offers tryign to unload him to avoid the heartburn. I offered him up for Thomas Jones, any thoughts? I personally think I am selling low :banned:

Can someone show me where it was recorded that Henry, or someone close to the situation, has said he tested positive because of 2nd hand smoke?

All I see is that a reporter stated this was a possible defense, and everyone is acting like this is the correct story. It's being debated if testing positive because of 2nd hand smoke is possible, when from what I've read, Henry, nor anyone close to the situation, has ever came out and said this was his defense.

Can someone show me where it was recorded that Henry, or someone close to the situation, has said he tested positive because of 2nd hand smoke?All I see is that a reporter stated this was a possible defense, and everyone is acting like this is the correct story. It's being debated if testing positive because of 2nd hand smoke is possible, when from what I've read, Henry, nor anyone close to the situation, has ever came out and said this was his defense.
:rolleyes:

Just found this on another site:

Henry at Least a Month From Suspension

Adam Schefter is reporting that Travis Henry is likely at least a month away from being suspended due to how long it will take for the entire legal process to play out with the league.

Fantasy Spin:

Henry looks like he is just stalling here, but aparently this process could leave him on the field for at least another month. Selvin Young owners can be patient if you have the room, but if you were looking at him as an RB2 option this weekend, doesn't look like that's going to happen.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802fe950

Sounds like the NFL is moving forward with the formal suspension process (according to this site). Says he has 5 days to appeal the suspension, and a hearing will likely be scheduled 1-2 weeks after that should he file an appeal. This is a seperate process from his leagal challenge of the "B sample" that is in court.

http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/blogs/D..._DAYS_TO_APPEAL
Couldn't get your link to work, but there is a video saying what you did on the myfoxcolorado site.Video

Sounds like the NFL is moving forward with the formal suspension process (according to this site). Says he has 5 days to appeal the suspension, and a hearing will likely be scheduled 1-2 weeks after that should he file an appeal. This is a seperate process from his leagal challenge of the "B sample" that is in court.

http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/blogs/D..._DAYS_TO_APPEAL
Couldn't get your link to work, but there is a video saying what you did on the myfoxcolorado site.Video
Sorry about that. Dunno what happened. But yeah, its there. Every day something changes. I am just goign to keep plugging him in until he is in jail :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread