What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tre Mason (1 Viewer)

Les Snead is an Auburn grad from Eufala. Jeff Fisher's son Trent plays on the Auburn team. They know exactly what they drafted. Mason steals Stacy's cookies by week 5.
I think other teams knew Mason was a good RB, even if Auburn wasn't their GM's alma mater or their HC didn't have a son on the team. It wouldn't have surprised me if Mason had been the first RB picked, or the fourth. Fifth was a bit of a surprise, but Sims reportedly reminds TB of Forte, and he was the consensus top pass catching RB in the draft, with a perfect third down RB skill set for now. TEN may have valued Sankey's greater speed, experience in a more NFL-like scheme and proven versatility. CIN and SF probably preferred the size of Hill and Hyde (in other words, even if the GMs from those teams had gone to Auburn, too, they all would have probably drafted the same RBs).

The fact alone that STL knew what they were drafting (they could have had inside information, but Fisher himself when asked a question alluding to this, was sceptical that other teams didn't have similarly thorough information), doesn't lend itself to Mason being drafted to start as the only possible interpretation.

Many teams draft more than one RB, at least as high as Mason, and not always with the intention of them being the immediate bellcow, feature RB.

STL had no way of knowing Mason would fall to them, in that sense, he was a gift. What doesn't fit with the "Rams are down on Stacy and actively looking to replace him" narrative (not referring to you specifically, but that thread contingent in general), imo, is if true, and they felt they had to upgrade the position and it was a dire need, they could have traded up to at least insure getting Mason, but they were content to risk losing him. They didn't plan on drafting him, by their account (for what its worth), but were surprised to see him drop to that point, and found the value too compelling to pass on.

I acknowledge a third round pick wasn't insignificant investment. It is a cliche that the RB position is devalued so a third round pick is the new second round pick. Plus this was a historically good draft. They could have drafted good prospects at other need positions like guard Trai Turner or FS Terrance Brooks, so that does get my attention (there are some Rams fans that didn't like the pick, I wasn't one of them).

It won't surprise me if Mason is more talented and at some point supplants Stacy (though it will if it happens in 2014, let alone in the first month). They in some ways have complementary skill sets, and can do things their counterpart can't, but in other ways there is some overlap. Mason is niftier, Stacy is more powerful (though Mason can run with power, and Stacy will flash nifty feet). But it isn't like Mason ENTERS the league as one of the 10 most talented RBs in the NFL. And given that Stacy didn't starting the first month and being in such a dysfunctional offense with Clemens starting the last 9 games, I can't say there is conclusive evidence to suggest Stacy doesn't belong in the top half of NFL RBs, in which case, I don't see that the GAP between them is so vast, and Mason such an obviously immense talent and clearly more dominant than the plodding, pedestrian Stacy that it is a foregone conclusion Stacy will be swept aside as casually as yesterday's rubbish (imo, will be a much more intense and contested battle for RBBC supremacy than the 2015 poll consensus reflects).

Also, Mason has to learn a play book, blocking, terminology, etc. Anyone thinking he's taking Stacy's bacon by week 5 is fooling themselves. Guys in pro style offenses in college that can pass pro can hit the ground running in the NFL. But guys that have to learn as much as he does don't generally do much early.
so, all the same stuff stacy had to learn last year en route to his 250 carries in 13 games?

Also, Mason has to learn a play book, blocking, terminology, etc. Anyone thinking he's taking Stacy's bacon by week 5 is fooling themselves. Guys in pro style offenses in college that can pass pro can hit the ground running in the NFL. But guys that have to learn as much as he does don't generally do much early.
so, all the same stuff stacy had to learn last year en route to his 250 carries in 13 games?
Yep.

Did Stacy have to learn blocking seemingly from scratch given he was not used as a pass blocker in college? I don't think I've ever read about that, but maybe he did.

Do you think Mason is a good pass blocker? I'll admit I really don't know, but the draft experts sure didn't think so.
I don't see any links in your post to the draft experts.

I have no idea about Mason and his pass blocking. What I do know is that shorter, thicker RBs tend to fare better with pass blocking once they learn where they are supposed to be. I also know that many times guys on this board think a college "whiff" is just a chip block or a way to slide off for a dump pass. I do not think anyone on this board is qualified to watch tape and assume they know what a players' responsibility was on the play.

The guy has zero snaps in the NFL, people can hit pause on scrutinizing the smaller aspects of his game. With that said, I think Stacy becomes the bell cow but I am interested in this thread because Mason could be really good.
It does not take an expert or a scout to discern the difference between an attempted block, a chip or a slip. I realize its always a fluid situation and a player may have to make decisions on the fly, but I know when I see a missed block, whether it was his original assignment or not.

PurposeThe purpose of these running back blitz pick up drills is to teach the correct positioning and reading progression to pick up the most dangerous blitzing defender.

Description
  1. set up 3 (C-G-T) to 5 (T-G-C-G-T) standup dummies as Offensive Linemen
  2. have 2 to 3 defenders lineup as possible blitzers
  3. have RB lineup at his position
  4. coach stands behind RB and signals which defender should blitz
  5. on command, the RB steps his first 2 steps as if the innermost defender would blitz, on these two steps he reads who is actually coming, adjusts to him and blocks him as close to the LOS as possible
Coaching PointsReading Progression is from inside out

First 2 steps are short but forward towards the innermost possible blitzer (he has the shortest way to the QB)

RB should meet blitzer as close to LOS as possible (don’t let the defender come to you)

RB has nevertheless to stay under control (he must not miss the blitzer)

As the skills of the RBs improve make it more difficult:

On the 1st assignment I linked the defense runs a twist and Mason helps the LT block the outside pass rusher while both of them let the inside rusher have a clear path to the QB who steps right up into the sack.

The technique that is taught is for the RB to pick up the inside pass rusher who has the closest path to the QB.

The other two were just plain misses. He does hoot a look out signal on the last one just before the QB gets sacked.

I am no expert on watching players but I do understand the basics enough to know that you are supposed to block the inside pass rusher first.

questioning blocking makes a critic a hater.
Exactly, because it is way too easily tossed around by the hater who has the other guy on their dynasty team. In this case, you really like Stacy.
You are jumping around again, back in this case

It can also be a legitimate concern, young RBs do sometimes have their opportunities limited due to inexperience in this important area, development time can be an overall rate limiting step in playing a larger role. Nobody here is a mind reader or needs to attribute motives. For some reasons, the Stacy/Mason threads have been plagued by this silly, "you must be an owner/hater shtick more than just about any other threads I can remember in the Shark Pool, its an ad hominem non-argument, offers zero information in addressing concerns, and isn't to be taken seriously (falling more or less on nana boo boo end of the critical spectrum :) ).

The problem with your "theory" is I don't own Stacy and do own Mason. I just don't think wishing it so is the same as making it so. I don't think it is a good idea to cavalierly dismiss blocking concerns (whether for inexperience or other reasons). I like and dislike elements of both Stacy and Mason, so your take is a gross oversimplification.

I've said I won't be surprised if Mason eventually starts (you left that out, just that I really like Stacy), but I don't expect it to happen this year if it does. It sounds like we agree on the latter point, at least (you left that out, too). Also that Mason *COULD* struggle with blocking intitially, many RBs do, even squat ones, and he has less experience. And even if Mason becomes adequate, if Stacy is better at it, it *COULD* (not really going out on a big limb there) factor in playing time going forward, UNLESS Mason is decisively better as a runner. But I said that already, you edited out the context which would have shown that your hater crtitique is incoherent.

* Another thing that has been largely left out is that STL has backed Bradford, I don't think they want to unnecessarily risk another catastrophic injury (or he is probably done and they need to draft a replacment, which could mean another year or two of uncertainty on a QB that may not pan out). Also, he isn't a mobile QB like Wilson or Kaepernick, that can run away from and out of trouble (he tore his ACL last time that happened), so pass blocking is of even greater importance in his/their case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll admit I haven't read every single post in this thread, but no one seems to mention the Auburn running scheme as even a slight cause for concern for Mason. I personally don't get that...
I mentioned it, but also said that just because he wasn't asked to block doesn't mean he can't be taught. The Rams have great coaches and will teach him. It's not rocket science. His job at Auburn was to wiggle through the line and get open. The Rams will use him that way too. He's a great weapon out of the backfield. Also, let him run behind Long - Robinson - Wells - Saffold - Barksdale. That's a potentially great run blocking o-line.
I don't think anybody is saying it is impossbile he could learn. Just that good coaches and want to don't guarantee it will happen, any time soon, at least, and that could limit his opportunities to quickly supplant Stacy (as some are suggesting). Other teams have had great coaches, too, and it doesn't always pan out like that. Stacy has the same coaches, and is bigger, stronger and more experienced, so he could end up being better. It isn't rocket science, which would lead some to think nearly every RB should be good at it (even if qualified as ones with good coaches and a stout build), but clearly that isn't the case. I don't know if I could say he has great hands, he didn't catch a lot, he isn't suspect like Andre Williams, he looked like a natural hands catcher in drills. I'm also not sure he is clearly better than Stacy at this. Again, the same potentially great run blocking will help Stacy and Mason equally. Some are saying that Stacy wasn't great behind last season's OL, and Mason could be behind this year's version, but are leaving out Mason might not have done great last year, either, and Stacy could improve behind an improved OL. He was already pacing for 1,300 rushing yards and 10 TDs overall. With improved blocking, if he improves, at what point (1,400-12, 1,500-14, etc.?) would others say, maybe Stacy isn't mediocre and won't necessarily be quickly cast aside by Mason?

Stacy's 2013 highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplKg5Brh_M

This doesn't show the plays where he may have tripped on his own feet and had no gain or lost yardage. He did have a low yard per carry average to close the season. QB and OL injuries could account for some of that (as a Rams fan, you would be in a position to know this as much as anybody). But at Stacy's best, look at the run at the 1:07 mark. When looking at that play, it doesn't scream to me, this guy isn't very good, we need to replace him right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Did Stacy have to learn blocking seemingly from scratch given he was not used as a pass blocker in college? I don't think I've ever read about that, but maybe he did.
Auburn ran an extremely quirky, run heavy offense. I'm not a Vanderbilt scheme historian, but I don't think it was nearly as odd ball or removed from the NFL. I think it is safe to say Mason enters the league more inexperienced and raw in pass pro than Stacy (than we have to account for Stacy's one year NFL head start, Mason is chasing a moving target, not a static one in this respect). Some people think Mason will pick it up no problem, some don't. Others will have to decide for themselves which is more credible.

Yep.

Auburn ran an extremely quirky, run heavy offense. I'm not a Vanderbilt scheme historian, but I don't think it was nearly as odd ball or removed from the NFL. I think it is safe to say Mason enters the league more inexperienced and raw in pass pro than Stacy (than we have to account for Stacy's one year NFL head start, Mason is chasing a moving target, not a static one in this respect). Some people think Mason will pick it up no problem, some don't. Others will have to decide for themselves which is more credible.
When I made my earlier comment about the scheme it wasn't so much in reference to his pass blocking but as to his running abilities. Oregon also ran a fluky zone scheme offense and we never saw any of their backs do too much in the NFL. I'm not saying Mason is LMJ or Kenjon Barner redux... I'm simply saying I'm surprised more people aren't questioning the video game stats based on the offense.

I was agreeing with what you alluded to about pass blocking.

Good point about the offense in general. Scheme difference was cited by CIN as why they chose Hill over Hyde. Robinson was questioned for Auburn scheme reasons, though evidently not too much by STL (they took him second overall), they project him as having the athleticism to be coached up in pass pro eventually. Though he will start as a guard (like Jonathan Ogden), and it could be a year or two before they are comfortable enough to have him play LT (this could depend on Jake Long's health and contract, too).

Yep.

And what did Stacy do in the first five games? You know, those games where this kid is supposed to supplant him? Also, Stacy has a distinct advantage over Mason in this department. He has the size that can trump technique. Just getting in someone's way can be all that Stacy needs. Mason isn't that big.

Yep.

And what did Stacy do in the first five games? You know, those games where this kid is supposed to supplant him? Also, Stacy has a distinct advantage over Mason in this department. He has the size that can trump technique. Just getting in someone's way can be all that Stacy needs. Mason isn't that big.
so, if stacy turns into richardson, and mason gets 250 carries in the final 13 games you'd consider that a victory for stacy?

Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Tre Mason is listed with the fourth-team offense on the Rams' first unofficial depth chart of training camp.

Zac Stacy is alone on the first team, with Benny Cunningham solidly on the twos. The third-team backs are Isaiah Pead and special teamer Chase Reynolds. Mason and UDFA Trey Watts are listed with the fours. This is a bit hard to take seriously because Mason has taken some first-team reps in camp, but is a reminder that he has a lot of depth chart climbing to do for rookie-year impact.

Source: Turf Show Times

Aug 4 - 3:58 PM

Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Tre Mason is listed with the fourth-team offense on the Rams' first unofficial depth chart of training camp.Zac Stacy is alone on the first team, with Benny Cunningham solidly on the twos. The third-team backs are Isaiah Pead and special teamer Chase Reynolds. Mason and UDFA Trey Watts are listed with the fours. This is a bit hard to take seriously because Mason has taken some first-team reps in camp, but is a reminder that he has a lot of depth chart climbing to do for rookie-year impact.

This report is a waste of the alphabet. If you believe Mason is 4th string then I have some lake property to sell you...

Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Tre Mason is listed with the fourth-team offense on the Rams' first unofficial depth chart of training camp.Zac Stacy is alone on the first team, with Benny Cunningham solidly on the twos. The third-team backs are Isaiah Pead and special teamer Chase Reynolds. Mason and UDFA Trey Watts are listed with the fours. This is a bit hard to take seriously because Mason has taken some first-team reps in camp, but is a reminder that he has a lot of depth chart climbing to do for rookie-year impact.

This report is a waste of the alphabet. If you believe Mason is 4th string then I have some lake property to sell you...
Lol this

Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Lol this
Eddie Lacy was listed 4th on the Packers first depth chart as well. FWIW.

Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

I'd be interested in your lake property, except I have a suspicion that (1) your valuation will ignore all defects in the property and (2) you'll be adamant that your property is worth 3x the market price, and anyone who can't see that is willfully ignorant.

KingPrawn said:
FGITLOTR said:
Brewtown said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Lol this
Eddie Lacy was listed 4th on the Packers first depth chart as well. FWIW.
PSA: preseason depth charts mean nothing

Depth charts right now about about close to useless. I say close because if a rookie is listed as the starter or high on the depth chart I think it means something. Also means something if you see a veteran listed low on the depth chart. This due to most depth charts almost alwasys defaulting to veterans, so only time they really mean much is when you see a deviation from this norm.

As for Mason I'm very high on his long term value but it's a process. I think he just turned 21 today and is coming from an offense where he primarily ran out of the spread, was not asked to pass block or play a big role as a receiver. He's got a lot to learn and that's how the Rams seem to be approaching things with him. Honestly all the news to me has been encouraging. He's slowly starting to get worked in with the 1's. Most of the reports I've read about him said he was bouncing everything outside to much but was getting better at hitting the hole and tons of reports about how quick his feet are and his overall quickness in general. Continues to need a lot of work in pass blocking which should be not be a surprise to anyone.

So if you expected him to be the day one starter or make it a full blown RBBC from the get-go I think you'll be disappointed. But if you read daily reports to see how he's actually performing my guess is you'd come away pretty pleased with how things are proceeding with him.

If a rookie is 1st on the depth chart then that means the team literally has no starting caliber players on their team at that position. The Jaguars WR's are a good example. Robinson and Lee are the starters now with Shorts out because there is literally nobody else in there that has ever been a starter. The rest of those guys would probably be cut by now on any other team.

Rookies are almost never put at or anywhere near the top this early because they have to earn their way up. Veterans are given that right. That's how depth charts go during training camp. We all know that it doesn't mean these guys are expected to be there for long. They're expected to move up the depth chart and if they don't then they will be considered a big disappointment. A rookie 4th stringer at this point in time most likely makes the roster. A veteran at 4th string at this point in time could get a phone call at any time.

Even Sankey is listed as 3rd string behind Greene and McCluster.

Depth charts are really only useful at this point in time when comparing veterans to other veterans.

From yesterday's ESPN day 10 camp update...

Coach Jeff Fisher indicated after practice that he wants each of his running backs to get about six carries in the preseason opener and deployed them in a similar fashion Tuesday night. Even rookie Tre Mason got some reps with the first-team offense and had a couple of impressive runs, including one where he burst through the hole, bounced off a would be tackler, and darted left into the end zone for a would-be touchdown. It was one of his better practices. Running back Zac Stacy departed practice early. The injury didn't appear serious, but we'll see more when Friday night arrives.

Yep.

so, if stacy turns into richardson, and mason gets 250 carries in the final 13 games you'd consider that a victory for stacy?
That makes absolutely no sense. Of course that's not a victory for Stacy.

Looking forward to seeing him behind the #1 OL with Jake Long, Saffold and Robinson. Tre will beast behind them. I love Stacy, but Tre is more talented IMO

Rotoworld take:

Tre Mason - RB - Rams

Tre Mason rushed for 51 yards on 15 carries in Friday night's preseason opener versus New Orleans.

Mason was the third running into the game behind Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham. (Isaiah Pead didn't dress due to a hand injury.) Mason had nowhere to go early on, often running into the backs of his linemen and getting dropped immediately in the backfield. But once the Saints' third- and fourth-reamers came in, Mason found more room to run. He also had a nice blitz pickup, an area of Mason's game that is a question mark. Cunningham has a comfortable lead for No. 2 duties. He and Mason would share the work if Stacy got hurt.

Aug 8 - 11:25 PM

Daryl Richardson wasn't sweatin nothin when Stacy debuted at 7 for 23 last year in his first preseason game either.

This isn't to say Mason earned anything last night. Just that, well, the Stacy and Mason owners are obvious in here.

still so much love even after 15 for 51 against 4th stringers :lol:
Just wait until he is running behind that starting offensive line...

He was running behind the bad news bears last night and had little room to run...
On the flip side he was running against guys that will be working at Jiffy Lube later in the summer.

He showed very nice burst and I like his low center of gravity style of running, but it's hard to get carried away. It's not like Stacy looked bad, or even Cunningham for that matter. Right now Mason is third string, he needs to pass Cunningham first of all to gene become a threat to Stacy.

I do think it can happen, really like him, but my guess it doesn't become a possibility until 2015.

still so much love even after 15 for 51 against 4th stringers :lol:
Just wait until he is running behind that starting offensive line...

He was running behind the bad news bears last night and had little room to run...
On the flip side he was running against guys that will be working at Jiffy Lube later in the summer.

He showed very nice burst and I like his low center of gravity style of running, but it's hard to get carried away. It's not like Stacy looked bad, or even Cunningham for that matter. Right now Mason is third string, he needs to pass Cunningham first of all to gene become a threat to Stacy.

I do think it can happen, really like him, but my guess it doesn't become a possibility until 2015.
This is true - it has to suck working at a Jiffy Lube...

I actually thought Cunningham looked really looked good... He had a nice spin move that led into a long run...

I had the game DVR'd after the start of the second half and was able to watch many of his runs. He showed a nice burst of speed and some good quickness. The plays where he lost yardage were all due to bad blocking. I agree that it was a pretty strong debut.

Everyone is talking about his running. That was never in question. What will limit his playing time is his pass protection. And from what I saw, it was not as horrific as had been advertised. And that is an individual skill that doesn't relate to those around him or the level of competition he's playing against. Does he know his assignment and can he break down and deliver a shot to keep the QB clean. And yesterday, it looked like he showed more glimpses of it than what I'd been lead to believe. So while I was fully on board with the Zac Stacy train before, I am now leaning more toward this being a RBBC by the time fantasy games get close to playoff time.

Everyone is talking about his running. That was never in question. What will limit his playing time is his pass protection. And from what I saw, it was not as horrific as had been advertised. And that is an individual skill that doesn't relate to those around him or the level of competition he's playing against. Does he know his assignment and can he break down and deliver a shot to keep the QB clean. And yesterday, it looked like he showed more glimpses of it than what I'd been lead to believe. So while I was fully on board with the Zac Stacy train before, I am now leaning more toward this being a RBBC by the time fantasy games get close to playoff time.
I thought he got over run both times I saw him pass protect, which is pretty much what he showed in college. He picked up the right guy, but the only reason his guy didn't get the sack is because someone else beat him to it. Mason is as advertised as a runner though.

I thought he got over run both times I saw him pass protect, which is pretty much what he showed in college. He picked up the right guy, but the only reason his guy didn't get the sack is because someone else beat him to it. Mason is as advertised as a runner though.
He pass protected more then twice and I never saw him get run over.

Users who are viewing this thread