What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

trent green update (1 Viewer)

k2isabeast

Footballguy
MIA upped their offer from a 6th rounder to a 5th saying Green meets certain requirements. Still not a 4th which is what is requested by KC but closer than even now to finally closing this deal.

Well, this is "middle ground", let's see if KC bites...actually with Herm as their HC they do bite, but I mean on the trade.

Why do people continually bash Herm Edwards. He's been to the playoffs in 4 out of the 6 seasons he's coached. 1 for 1 in KC. Prior to Herm coming to KC the Chiefs went to the playoffs twice the previous 10 seasons.

i agree with snotbubbles. you can get on him for his clock managment - for sure - but he's a decent coach. on topic, i hope this thing gets worked out for green soon.

MIA upped their offer from a 6th rounder to a 5th saying Green meets certain requirements. Still not a 4th which is what is requested by KC but closer than even now to finally closing this deal.
The "conditional 5th" has been in the works but unconfirmed to this point.They really need to part ways and move on.

why doesn't KC ask for Marty Booker...Samie Parker is a joke, Eddie Kennison is gettign really old and Dwayne Bowe is a rook. Yes, I know Booker is old too, but he still can play physical football.

why doesn't KC ask for Marty Booker...Samie Parker is a joke, Eddie Kennison is gettign really old and Dwayne Bowe is a rook. Yes, I know Booker is old too, but he still can play physical football.
If I'm the Dolphins I don't do that trade.

If I'm the Dolphins I don't do that trade.
Agreed. Miami can survive with Lemon or Beck. They don't have much at WR after Booker and Chambers.Besides, Booker is just worth more.

Why do people continually bash Herm Edwards. He's been to the playoffs in 4 out of the 6 seasons he's coached. 1 for 1 in KC. Prior to Herm coming to KC the Chiefs went to the playoffs twice the previous 10 seasons.
Regardless of how many times he's made the playoffs, he has a career record of 48-48 (50-52 if you count playoffs), and he's never coached a team to more than 10 wins in a single season. Basically, he's been consistantly mediocre, or maybe baaaaarely above average (although 48-48 looks pretty much just plain old "average" to me). Also, KC might have only been to the postseason in 2 of the past 10 seasons, but KC's record over that span was 89-71, and they would have made the playoffs twice in the three previous years if they hadn't of had the bad luck to become one of the very few teams to win 10 games and miss the postseason.In other words, a consistantly mediocre franchise (55% winning clip in the past decade) acquired a consistantly mediocre coach (sub-50% career winning percentage before he went to KC), and the results were mediocrity (9-7, loss in the wildcard round). Oh, and Edwards behaved like a complete slimeball to make it to KC in the first place. Somehow, I don't feel all that sympathetic for the plight of Herm Edwards.

i agree with snotbubbles. you can get on him for his clock managment - for sure - but he's a decent coach. on topic, i hope this thing gets worked out for green soon.
He is one of the few coaches in the NFL I would not want to play for. He's crazy as a loon and just to me doesn't really understand what is always going on around him. The BS with Trent Green makes me cringe...he acts like he might play the guy as his starting QB this season...I know its coachspeak but Edwards takes things too far. "You play to win the game" was not a great speech, it made him look like an absolute idiot and his clock management is deplorable. One of those coaches I would not even interview if I was an owner.

The really bad thing for Green is that KC can hold on to him until the roster goes to 53 just before start of season. That pretty much screws Green and any team he might elect to join.

The really bad thing for Green is that KC can hold on to him until the roster goes to 53 just before start of season. That pretty much screws Green and any team he might elect to join.
Yeah, but If we get to training camp, KC will not get anything for him. Plus they have to deal with the "distraction" of him being there. As for him coming to Miami in week 1 vs. TC...all that means is we have more time to assess culpepper and the rook gets more snaps in practice.Trent green is not the "answer" for Miami, unless the question is "who is a stopgap QB we can use for a year"

Regardless of how many times he's made the playoffs, he has a career record of 48-48 (50-52 if you count playoffs), and he's never coached a team to more than 10 wins in a single season. Basically, he's been consistantly mediocre, or maybe baaaaarely above average (although 48-48 looks pretty much just plain old "average" to me). Also, KC might have only been to the postseason in 2 of the past 10 seasons, but KC's record over that span was 89-71, and they would have made the playoffs twice in the three previous years if they hadn't of had the bad luck to become one of the very few teams to win 10 games and miss the postseason.In other words, a consistantly mediocre franchise (55% winning clip in the past decade) acquired a consistantly mediocre coach (sub-50% career winning percentage before he went to KC), and the results were mediocrity (9-7, loss in the wildcard round). Oh, and Edwards behaved like a complete slimeball to make it to KC in the first place. Somehow, I don't feel all that sympathetic for the plight of Herm Edwards.
So your argument against Herm Edwards is "Who cares how many times he makes the playoffs, he doesn't win regular season games?"

So your argument against Herm Edwards is "Who cares how many times he makes the playoffs, he doesn't win regular season games?"
No, my arguement against Herm Edwards is that it's nothing to brag about that he made the playoffs with mediocre teams and performed poorly once he got there. KC in 2005 went 10-6 and failed to make the playoffs. Herm Edwards in his career has never finished better than 10-6. If he had the bad fortune of having both of his 10-6 finishes come in a year when that wasn't enough to make the playoffs (like it wasn't for KC in 2005), then would you be defending him right now? If Denver had won its last game against San Fran last year and KC had been shut out of the playoffs, would that have miraculously made Herm Edwards somehow worse of a coach? The point I'm making is that, for most of those teams, making the playoffs was simply a matter of blind, dumb luck, of circumstances entirely outside of his control. Personally, when looking for a head coach, I'd really like to start my list with a guy who wins more games than he loses- and that's something that Herm Edwards simply does not do.When Edwards went from NYJ to KC, he had 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons. He had a losing career record, and a losing playoff record. He had never won more than 10 games in his career. He came to KC, and the team actually got WORSE than it was the year before. I really don't see much to defend him about. I get why you're defending him, because he was a great player for you guys for a long time... but in the end, as a coach, he's just a massive steaming pile of "meh" and mediocrity. Quite frankly, I'm glad to have him in my division, especially because he replaced Vermeil (a guy who actually DID win more games than he lost, and who had a winning postseason record, to boot).

When Edwards went from NYJ to KC, he had 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons. He had a losing career record, and a losing playoff record. He had never won more than 10 games in his career. He came to KC, and the team actually got WORSE than it was the year before. I really don't see much to defend him about. I get why you're defending him, because he was a great player for you guys for a long time... but in the end, as a coach, he's just a massive steaming pile of "meh" and mediocrity. Quite frankly, I'm glad to have him in my division, especially because he replaced Vermeil (a guy who actually DID win more games than he lost, and who had a winning postseason record, to boot).
I would argue that Herm Edwards did a better job coaching KC then the fabulous **** Vermeil. Vermeil's teams from 2001-2005, IMO were more talented than Edwards 2006 team yet they made the playoffs only once (and lost). To me the Vermeil years can be termed the "under-achieving" years. They had teams that shoulda, woulda, coulda, but didn't. Why? Who cares. They didn't. Herm came in and lost his both his pro-bowl tackles Willie Roaf and John Welbourne (and had to play Kyle Turley (are you kidding me?)), he lost Trent Green to injury and KC still made the playoffs. Something that Vermeil couldn't do the year prior with better talent. Vermeil was no dummy though, he skipped town before KC had to go into total rebuilding mode. Green, Roaf, Shields, Weigmann, Surtain, Kennison, Gonzalez all from the Vermeil era, all in the league 10+ years.

SSOG said:
When Edwards went from NYJ to KC, he had 3 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons. He had a losing career record, and a losing playoff record. He had never won more than 10 games in his career. He came to KC, and the team actually got WORSE than it was the year before. I really don't see much to defend him about. I get why you're defending him, because he was a great player for you guys for a long time... but in the end, as a coach, he's just a massive steaming pile of "meh" and mediocrity. Quite frankly, I'm glad to have him in my division, especially because he replaced Vermeil (a guy who actually DID win more games than he lost, and who had a winning postseason record, to boot).
Don't you think six seasons is a pretty small sample size to dismiss someone with a decent record, who coached only moderately talented teams? Six seasons into Belichick's career he was 41-55 with one playoff win.

Once you get to a certain longevity point, managing a .500 record actually shows you're an above average coach - defining the population as all NFL coaches. I know it sounds weird but follow me:1. There are 32 coaches every season now, and the bottom few get culled from the ranks every year due to firing, plus the occassional firing or retirement of an average/above avergae coach.2. If you look at P-F-R, you will find 93 coaches out of 266 have .500 or better records - this includes guys who've coached 1 game or more. 133rd on the list is a Monte Clark @ a .432 winning percentage.The clearly below-average guys get discarded quickly, so if you've got a so-so winning percentage, but good longevity, you are likely a better coach than most of the guys who've coached in the league.Herm has coached more games than everyone else who has a .500 record combined. Top 2 guys just under .500? Wayne Fontes & Buddy Ryan - coaches with flaws, but not as bad as their reputations might seem.

Oh yeah, now I rember what we were talking about.... Trent Green to MIA.

Is it just me or didn't Trent Green suck after he returned from the concussion last season?

Snotbubbles said:
Interesting. It's the anti-Marty Schottenheimer arguement.

SSOG said:
Don't you think six seasons is a pretty small sample size to dismiss someone with a decent record, who coached only moderately talented teams? Six seasons into Belichick's career he was 41-55 with one playoff win.
Yeah, six seasons is a pretty small sample size, but it's all we have to work off of. I mean, are we supposed to conclude that Edwards *ISN'T* a mediocre coach based on his body of evidence? All we've gotten from Edwards is consistant mediocrity. Now, he might turn it on late in his career, and we'll revise our opinion accordingly, but if a coach demonstrates nothing but mediocrity, then I'm going to operate under the assumption that he's a mediocre coach. He's taking rosters with middling talent and achieved middling results with them. Maybe he'll improve in the future... but then again, maybe he'll get worse- Art Shell and Joe Gibbs are both guys whose recent records are far below their career records. In the meantime, I'll draw conclusions based on the evidence I have at hand.

Oh yeah, now I rember what we were talking about.... Trent Green to MIA.Is it just me or didn't Trent Green suck after he returned from the concussion last season?
Correct from my first hand observations ...Who knows if he can rebound. Totally speculative ...

SSOG said:
Except that, No matter what Bellichik was known as a GENIUS Defensive coordinator....Worst case BB can take over one side of the ball and you know it'll be right...Herm was never a coordinator and is nothing but a figurehead dependent upon the coordinators.....I prefer my head coach to at least have enough knowledge and experience to take over one side of the ball and have his own philosophy and systems - With the Jets they went from some made up Tampa Cover 2 hybrid with a 3-4 DC and players and a WCO offense with Vinny and then changed it all back. I believed the reason he got the KC job was to keep an older, win now team on the same path, and few experienced HC's out there would be willing to come to a place and keep everything as as and ONLY be the cheerleader / motivator.....I can't see Herm being a Head Coach after this gig.BB was such a good coordinator that he would always get another shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread