What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson (1 Viewer)

From a Rotoworld blurb:

"Browns OC Norv Turner is targeting 300 carries and 60 receptions for Trent Richardson this season."

Source is from an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer

you can paint as rosey a picture as you want , Richardson isn't very good, in fact, he's grossly, vastly overrated..
Where do you rank him in terms of RBs in a standard PPR redraft league this year? What RBs would you draft around the same spot as TRich? I think he's hovering somewhere around top 7-10 in terms of RBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent played hurt all year...he only missed the last game of the season.....and he did it as a rookie.....he will have a great season if he is healthy all year he will be top 5 easy....mark it down

I guarantee everyone who has trent ranked in the top 7-10 range will take the soap out their mouths after this season when he finishes top3.. and next year rank him in the #1/2 spot next to Peterson

I guarantee everyone who has trent ranked in the top 7-10 range will take the soap out their mouths after this season when he finishes top3.. and next year rank him in the #1/2 spot next to Peterson
If they had a qb I think he would be ranked higher. When I see him able to overcome that I'll believe it. Hurt or not he was average last year.

Lol even jim brown said he proved to him hes destined to be great. AND Marshall Faulk. Thats saying a lot. If you can't believe them... your closed minded

Lol even jim brown said he proved to him hes destined to be great. AND Marshall Faulk. Thats saying a lot. If you can't believe them... your closed minded
So Jim Brown and Marshall Faulk are experts? Lol....come on bro. If you believe Jim Brown you are open minded and if you don't you are close minded? That makes no sense to me. I believe performance. Wile he was great in college there are plenty who have been great in college and not done so in the nfl. I think he has the ability, just not sure about his situation. In terms of fantasy football I avoid players on bad teams.

So Jim Brown and Marshall Faulk are experts? Lol....come on bro. If you believe Jim Brown you are open minded and if you don't you are close minded? That makes no sense to me. I believe performance. Wile he was great in college there are plenty who have been great in college and not done so in the nfl. I think he has the ability, just not sure about his situation. In terms of fantasy football I avoid players on bad teams.
No offense, but that really doesn't apply to success in FF.

No offense but even David Dodds himself said that exact thing on the radio last night. He said he comes to drafts typically with a list of 50 players. It's called "eliminate the suck", while you may not do it there are plenty that do. I will not be drafting any Jets or Raiders for example. I would draft T-Rich if he fell to my pick at 2.12, that won't happen though.

If you want a link to the interview I'm more than happy to provide it.

No offense but even David Dodds himself said that exact thing on the radio last night. He said he comes to drafts typically with a list of 50 players. It's called "eliminate the suck", while you may not do it there are plenty that do. I will not be drafting any Jets or Raiders for example. I would draft T-Rich if he fell to my pick at 2.12, that won't happen though.

If you want a link to the interview I'm more than happy to provide it
No thanks. I don't need someone instructing me how to draft a FF team. I've done pretty well for myself for more than 10 years. That's fine that you feel that way, but ,as I said, it doesn't equate to FF success. There are plenty of examples of players putting up great fantasy production on bad NFL teams.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson (shin) has yet to return to team drills, and is expected to sit out Thursday's preseason opener.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer calls Richardson's expected absence "mostly" precautionary. Whatever degree of "precautionary" Richardson's continued absence is, it's getting harder to ignore how difficult he's found it to stay 100 percent — or some approximation of it — since leaping from the SEC to the big leagues. T-Rich's upside remains immense, but the injury risk is real.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Browns OC Norval Turner says Trent Richardson is "really rolling right now."
"I’m impressed with what I see in practice," Turner said. "The plays he had in (Thursday's preseason game), he was outstanding, and he’s a guy that defenses have to gear their thinking to stopping." Turner also lamented losing Dion Lewis (broken leg) as a potential third-down breather back for Richardson, but made it clear he views T-Rich as an every-down player. Richardson is locked into one of the biggest workloads in the league.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Trent Richardson will soar up #NFLRank

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

This isn't a column on why Cleveland Browns running back Trent Richardson is underrated. My focus is on where Richardson will land on next year's ESPN.com list of the Top 100 offensive players.

We already know that Richardson comes in at No. 84 on this year's rankings, which makes sense considering he gained 950 yards on a pedestrian 3.6-yard average. When you take a closer look at Richardson's rookie season, you'll realize that he was playing at half strength and now has a chance to run past the likes of Chris Johnson, Matt Forte and Maurice Jones-Drew on next year's list if healthy.

Richardson has the vision, power and speed to become an elite back in this league. More than that, he is driven to deliver this season. He's heard the rumblings about being injury prone. He's aware Alfred Morris and Doug Martin had better rookie seasons.

The combination of talent and determination is why Richardson is primed for a breakthrough season. No player will rise faster on these rankings than Richardson. He is the 14th running back on the list. He has the potential to be in the top five by the end of the season.

"I can’t wait for this season," Richardson said during training camp. "I’ve got a lot to prove. Not just to everybody. But to myself, too. I want to show everybody what I can do when I’m healthy."

It would be easier to tell you what Richardson hasn't hurt in his 18-month NFL career. He has dealt with injuries to his knee, ribs, ankle and shin.

After having a loose piece of cartilage removed a month before last season started, Richardson said he felt like he was getting closer to full strength around Week 6. Then, he broke two ribs and played the rest of the season with a protective jacket. According to Richardson, he played the rest of the season at 40 percent.

Despite admirably averaging 21.7 touches while playing 10 games with broken ribs, Richardson finished with a disappointing 63.3 yards rushing per game. That's not going to cut it for the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 draft, especially when Morris, a sixth-round pick, and Martin, who was taken 28 picks after Richardson, both averaged more than 90 yards.

If Richardson can stay healthy, he will become one of the top workhorses in the league. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner indicated that Richardson could carry the ball 300 times this season. All five players who cracked 300 carries last season ranked in the top six in the NFL in rushing.

There's been increasing excitement about quarterback Brandon Weeden's progress and the play of downfield targets like Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. But these Browns will have a strong commitment to the run. Turner, who has built a reputation on feeding the ball to Emmitt Smith and LaDainian Tomlinson, has coached the NFL's leading rusher five times.

"When I first talked to [Turner], I told him that I’m going to be in the best shape that you’ve ever seen a running back in," Richardson said. "He told me what type of carries and what type of football we’re going to play. There's a lot of motivation for me to be at the top of my game all the time."

Richardson won't be getting much rest during games. The Browns had limited depth behind him when training camp began, and third-down back Dion Lewis could be lost for the season after breaking his leg last week.

Turner is targeting 60 receptions for Richardson, which shouldn't be a problem because he caught 51 passes last year.

"It's hard for a tailback now to play every down the entire game, but they have to be prepared to play every down," Turner said. "If we're in a two-minute situation, I don't think any of us want Trent standing on the sidelines."

One of Richardson's biggest fans is Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk, who believes Richardson has special qualities.

"You saw it in college. It's the reason that in a league that they're starting to kind of devalue the position, he gets drafted so early," Faulk told reporters in training camp. "He has it in him. It's in him to be great. He wants it. He's never shied away from asking questions or letting you know what he don't know because he understands that the things that you don't know when you find them out, it makes it easier to become great."

The reason the Browns took Richardson so high in the draft is because he's the identity of the Browns' offense. He brings a meanness and a toughness to the Cleveland ground game. He'll run in between the tackles and he'll run over tacklers.

If he attacks this season the same way, he'll end up being mentioned among the best running backs in the league by the end of the year.

"This is going to be a big year for me," Richardson said. "But it’s only going to go as far as I take it."

I'm drafting #9 in my re-draft league. Richardson is my target, here's to hoping he falls to me.

Deuce said:
I'm drafting #9 in my re-draft league. Richardson is my target, here's to hoping he falls to me.
I got him and McCoy at the 1.10 - 2.01 turn in one draft & am hoping for a repeat at 1.09 - 2.02 in my other.

If you want a link to the interview I'm more than happy to provide it.
Nonsense. See if Dodds extends that logic to MJD. Or Charles from the 2-14 Chiefs. Or McCoy. Or Spiller.

I went 9th in a my 12 team draft tonight. I was able to get Trent Richardson, then David Wilson in the second round. Also picked up Reggie Bush and Daryl Richardson a few rounds later as many guys went after QB's, but with a flex RB/WR, I'll take my chances with RB's.

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson says it was "kind of a shocker" that he wasn't used more on third down in Week 1.
Zero of Richardson's 15 touches came on third down. Backup Chris Ogbonnaya got the ball once on third down. OC Norval Turner hinted Richardson's missed practice time during the spring and summer was a factor. "There’s some things he’s ready to handle in that third down stuff and our nickel package and some things (Ogbonnaya’s) going to handle (for) a while," Turner said. "Trent missed some time obviously in camp and there’s some things we want to use him in there and we’re going to use him when we can." It was just one week, but it's a bit ominous the Browns are already having to explain away Richardson's lack of work.

Source: ESPN Cleveland

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson played 28 snaps compared to Ahmad Bradshaw's 30 in the Colts' Week 3 win over San Francisco.
It's not surprising Richardson both played less and was less effective than Bradshaw in Richardson's first game as a Colt after two practices with the team behind blockers he's never ran with before. The Colts didn't trade a first-round pick to have Richardson rotate with Bradshaw. Richardson will take over as the every-down back, likely as soon as Week 4 against Jacksonville. Bradshaw remains roster worthy in all fantasy leagues.

Related: Ahmad Bradshaw

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Trent Richardson played 28 snaps compared to Ahmad Bradshaw's 30 in the Colts' Week 3 win over San Francisco.
It's not surprising Richardson both played less and was less effective than Bradshaw in Richardson's first game as a Colt after two practices with the team behind blockers he's never ran with before. The Colts didn't trade a first-round pick to have Richardson rotate with Bradshaw. Richardson will take over as the every-down back, likely as soon as Week 4 against Jacksonville. Bradshaw remains roster worthy in all fantasy leagues.

Related: Ahmad Bradshaw

Bradshaw will still get his time, he earned it the way he gashed the 49's, I see it being a 60-40 split going forward, they don't play FF on the Colts, they play to WIN

I have yet to be impressed by Richardson as a runner. He had one tremendous bone jarring run (catch and run?) last year then bupkis. Don't be surprised to see Bradshaw outproduce him on a per snap basis.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells anticipates Sunday's Week 4 game against the Jaguars being Trent Richardson's "unofficial transition" to becoming the Colts' "starting running back."
The Colts have stated publicly they want a timeshare with Richardson and Ahmad Bradshaw, but Bradshaw is out for Week 4 with a neck injury, and this'll be T-Rich's opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. Wells acknowledges Richardson was "bound" to become the feature back "at some point," but Bradshaw's absence "speeds up the process." View Bradshaw as a handcuff only moving forward. Richardson is a locked-and-loaded fantasy RB1.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells anticipates Sunday's Week 4 game against the Jaguars being Trent Richardson's "unofficial transition" to becoming the Colts' "starting running back."
The Colts have stated publicly they want a timeshare with Richardson and Ahmad Bradshaw, but Bradshaw is out for Week 4 with a neck injury, and this'll be T-Rich's opportunity to grab the bull by the horns. Wells acknowledges Richardson was "bound" to become the feature back "at some point," but Bradshaw's absence "speeds up the process." View Bradshaw as a handcuff only moving forward. Richardson is a locked-and-loaded fantasy RB1.

I think the bolded is terrible analysis. Anyone paying attention to Indy knows they want a powerful running game. Bradshaw is going to get a fair share of touches. Any TRich owners who thinks Bradshaw is only a handcuff now aren't paying attention.

Rotoworld:

I think the bolded is terrible analysis. Anyone paying attention to Indy knows they want a powerful running game. Bradshaw is going to get a fair share of touches. Any TRich owners who thinks Bradshaw is only a handcuff now aren't paying attention.
I am not sure I agree that it's "terrible" - unless you like the low end of 70/30 split when both are healthy and fully acclimated to the offense. If Trent lights it up this weekend, the way many expect him to against the woeful Jags, I could certainly see Bradshaw getting a handful of touches (6-10 range), with Trent snagging the lion's share and short yardage/goal line. And let's not forget that Trent can catch (51 receptions last year) - so it's hardly a given that Bradshaw will spell him on passing downs.

Honestly, I own both in dyno - and I only see Bradshaw as a handcuff right now. A good one (right there with Tate, Pierce, and Joique Bell - yeah, I can't believe I just typed that either) - but a handcuff nonetheless. He has value as an occasional flex/spot starter to cover byes as an RB3 type - maybe more so in PPR going forward, but he really isn't more than that unless Trent gets dinged (and wont play through) or falters badly in the spotlight.

Rotoworld:

I am not sure I agree that it's "terrible" - unless you like the low end of 70/30 split when both are healthy and fully acclimated to the offense. If Trent lights it up this weekend, the way many expect him to against the woeful Jags, I could certainly see Bradshaw getting a handful of touches (6-10 range), with Trent snagging the lion's share and short yardage/goal line. And let's not forget that Trent can catch (51 receptions last year) - so it's hardly a given that Bradshaw will spell him on passing downs.

Honestly, I own both in dyno - and I only see Bradshaw as a handcuff right now. A good one (right there with Tate, Pierce, and Joique Bell - yeah, I can't believe I just typed that either) - but a handcuff nonetheless. He has value as an occasional flex/spot starter to cover byes as an RB3 type - maybe more so in PPR going forward, but he really isn't more than that unless Trent gets dinged (and wont play through) or falters badly in the spotlight.
Bradshaw is a fantastic pass blocker, so maybe this boils down to Richardson's abilities in this phase.

Bradshaw will be the primary 3rd down back when healthy pretty much no matter what IMO. His role beyond that depends on whether Richardson is able to step up his game beyond what he's shown thus far over 18 games.

Bradshaw will be the primary 3rd down back when healthy pretty much no matter what IMO. His role beyond that depends on whether Richardson is able to step up his game beyond what he's shown thus far over 18 games.
Just to be clear, Richardson had 51 receptions last year - Bradshaw had 23. In fact, Richardson's 51 receptions is more than Bradshaw has ever had in a single season. So the theory that some have floated - that Bradshaw will be the "COP"/pass catching RB really isn't based on any actual stats.

Now, if you are suggesting that Bradshaw will see more 3rd down work because he is a better blocker, that may certainly be the case...for now. But that doesn't really translate into fantasy production - you don't get points for throwing blocks. It looks nice in snap counts - and certainly could mean more opportunities, as he wont block on every play or even most of them.

I guess my point is simply that if Trent succeeds as a runner and pass catcher and develops some decent blocking ability, he can make Bradshaw fairly useless from a fantasy perspective. Bradshaw, at this point, has no choice but to see if Trent can't handle it. Bradshaw has played well - but they traded for Trent anyway. He was playing well in SF, and they kept feeding Trent anyway. Trent had only been there for 3 days...and they kept feeding him anyway. If Trent looks good over the next couple, Bradshaw will become a COP/spell Trent or garbage time - and that could be it.

Trent was fed the ball last year in Cleveland in all aspects of the game. It doesn't mean he's actually good at any of them. In fact, the evidence thus far strongly suggests that he's not.

Trent was fed the ball last year in Cleveland in all aspects of the game. It doesn't mean he's actually good at any of them. In fact, the evidence thus far strongly suggests that he's not.
What evidence?

Richardson is on pace for 37 receptions right now despite being under-utilized in the passing game thus far and having to adjust to a new offense.

7.2 yards/reception is average. Not bad or good. With Luck I would expect that average to start creeping up.

Rotoworld:

yeah, richardson caught some balls, but how is he in pass pro, because bradshaw's good at that and everything I read about richardson's blocking is fairly negative.

I really don't see any compelling reason to keep bradshaw on the bench on passing downs, and I think that's the difference between bradshaw and tate.

I went 9th in a my 12 team draft tonight. I was able to get Trent Richardson, then David Wilson in the second round. Also picked up Reggie Bush and Daryl Richardson a few rounds later as many guys went after QB's, but with a flex RB/WR, I'll take my chances with RB's.
:doh: :X

No one knows how this will turn out. Bradshaw is a good, injury prone vet one a 1 mill, 1 year deal. He had a very good game last week but trich is going to be given every opportunity to be the man. HUGE week this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

yeah, richardson caught some balls, but how is he in pass pro, because bradshaw's good at that and everything I read about richardson's blocking is fairly negative.

I really don't see any compelling reason to keep bradshaw on the bench on passing downs, and I think that's the difference between bradshaw and tate.
There have been some criticism's of Richardson's pass protection last season. But you are over-stating this to say everything has been negative. He has done pretty good in that aspect of his game based on what I have watched of him this season and last season as well.

Bradshaw when healthy should take some of that role however I agree. But not because Richardson isn't capable, but because Bradshaw is outstanding at it.

Colts offense>>>Brown offense. As I said, it is possible Trent doesn't come through - but I think it's far more likely that Cleveland is mistaken than the Colts are.

JAC only let two QBs throw for 300+ yards last year and currently hold the 3rd longest streak of holding QBs under 300 yards passing. Teams just never have to throw versus them and for good reason. Regardless of how everyone feels the move is going to look very good come Sunday. The timing couldn't have been better.

I dished him for DeSean. Call me crazy but DJax upside is far superior to Trent's, which is around 100yds and a TD. At this point we don't have a ton to gain, only a lot to lose. If he gives us an average performance Sunday were stuck with a 1st round pick we have to start every week with not much trade appeal.

I dished him for DeSean. Call me crazy but DJax upside is far superior to Trent's, which is around 100yds and a TD. At this point we don't have a ton to gain, only a lot to lose. If he gives us an average performance Sunday were stuck with a 1st round pick we have to start every week with not much trade appeal.
Wow.

If you really believed that, then you should have waited a week. Either TRich is going to shred them or he's going to get force fed after they get a big lead. Either way, he's set up for a monster day.

Users who are viewing this thread