What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip's Top 8 Undervalued WRs - Redraft PPR (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Based on FantasyPros ADP(PPR).  This is a point in time assessment(as of 7/28)

1.  D.J. Moore - WR22/#59 Overall - Moore broke out last year and had a suspiciously low number of TDs despite being among league leaders in YPR.   I have Darnold graded out higher than Bridgewater which should give Moore every opportunity to improve on his already impressive 2020.   WR22 makes zero sense to me.

2.  Kenny Golladay - WR24/#61 overall - Golladay is an elite talent and was paid as such in the offseason.   Look for Danny Dimes to to target him frequently.   Top 5 numbers in-play for Golladay in 2021.

3. DJ Chark - WR32/#78 overall - The clear #1 for Trevor Lawrence.  Chark has the ability and volume upside to crush his ADP.   Probably my favorite WR value of 2021. I think Chark's game fits perfect with Lawrence's.

4. Jerry Jeudy - WR37/#95 overall - Bridgewater is a clear upgrade over Lock who was one of the worst QBs in the league last year,  Jeudy did have his struggles in 2020 but I expect him to make a leap in '21 with his rare skillset/work ethic combo and a vastly improved QB situation.

5. Antonio Brown - WR45/#110 overall - Antonio is still one of the best in the game.  It took him a while to adjust in Tampa but the late season numbers don't lie.   Antonio is a steal in PPRs.

6. Michael Gallup - WR48/#115 - I've been touting Gallup on this messageboard since before he was drafted.   With Amari recovering from injury, Gallup will see increased targets...and he's always been a player to take advantage of those targets.   A healthy Dak will be targeting Gallup more than most realize until Amari is back to 100%.   Plenty of WR targets to go around for both CeeDee and Gallup.

7.  Elijah Moore - WR57/#150 - There is already a buzz in Jets camp as you hear anecdotes like "best player on the field"...Elijah is my pick for this year's Justin Jefferson.(unheralded, vastly undervalued in the preseason)

8. TreQuan Smith - WR72/#210 - News on Thomas isn't good and TreQuan has the best pedigree of those remaining.  He has flashed and Jameis isn't afraid to fling it.  Yes there are risks here, Taysom could win the job etc....but at #210 overall you would be hard pressed to find a better upside opportunity at WR.  His ADP has likely spiked since the Thomas news but if you can nab him late in drafts he's worth a flier.

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Antonio Brown - WR45/#110 overall - Antonio is still one of the best in the game.  It took him a while to adjust in Tampa but the late season numbers don't lie.   Antonio is a steal in PPRs.
I suppose it depends on what people see happening in TB. Including the playoffs, in PPR leagues last year once Brown was added, Evans ranked WR21, Godwin WR24, and AB WR35. If you think Brown is vastly underrated, then that likely means Evans and/or Godwin are overrated. (Just as a reminder, over their last 11 games the Bucs averaged 33 points and 411 yards of offense per game . . . meaning they are more likely to regress than just start adding more production).

Fantasy Pros has their ADPs as WR14, WR18, and WR45. FantasyPros consensus rankings have them ranked WR17, WR15, and WR44.

Where do you see these three ending up ranking in PPR leagues?

2.  Kenny Golladay - WR24/#61 overall - Golladay is an elite talent and was paid as such in the offseason.   Look for Danny Dimes to to target him frequently.   Top 5 numbers in-play for Golladay in 2021.

3. DJ Chark - WR32/#78 overall - The clear #1 for Trevor Lawrence.  Chark has the ability and upside to crush his ADP.   Probably my favorite WR value of 2021. I think Chark's game fits perfect with Lawrence's.
I want no part of these two players at their current ADP, and don't see a high probability that they produce at a level to exceed their current ranking.

I suppose it depends on what people see happening in TB. Including the playoffs, in PPR leagues last year once Brown was added, Evans ranked WR21, Godwin WR24, and AB WR35. If you think Brown is vastly underrated, then that likely means Evans and/or Godwin are overrated. (Just as a reminder, over their last 11 games the Bucs averaged 33 point and 411 yards of offense per game . . . meaning they are more likely to regress than just start adding more production).

Fantasy Pros has their ADPs as WR14, WR18, and WR45. FantasyPros consensus rankings have them ranked WR17, WR15, and WR44.

Where do you see these three ending up ranking in PPR leagues?
As you suspected I'm down on Godwin and Evans, and am higher on AB when compared to the consensus.  I also believe the Bucs efficiency will improve due to a healthier Brady and more mature offense.  My rankings are currently...

Evans #19

Godwin #25

AB #29

I like Jeudy and AB on the OP's list.  If either Godwin or Evans misses significant time, AB jumps into top 20...and its been argued that he can get 1/3 of the volume on his own.

I like Jeudy and AB on the OP's list.  If either Godwin or Evans misses significant time, AB jumps into top 20...and its been argued that he can get 1/3 of the volume on his own.
I don't think it will take an injury to Evans or Godwin for AB to be a top-24 WR.  If either of them misses significant playing time, his ceiling is in the WR1 ranks.

Trip -

How do you see offenses in general this year? As an example. last year there were 5 teams that threw for 40+ TD. Here are all the other seasons when there were more than one team with 40+ passing TD: 2011 (3), 2014 (2), 1998 (2).

I see offensive production overall going backwards some.

Trip -

How do you see offenses in general this year? As an example. last year there were 5 teams that threw for 40+ TD. Here are all the other seasons when there were more than one team with 40+ passing TD: 2011 (3), 2014 (2), 1998 (2).

I see offensive production overall going backwards some.

Definitely case by case.   I think an overall regression is favored, but not a certainty.  I have the Bucs actually improving.

I can see the argument against Golladay, but why not Chark?

Rookie QB in a new system with a questionable and unproven coach. 

Chark has the physical attributes, but I'm not sure he's ever going to put it together to be a consistent WR2 or better in fantasy.

Rookie QB in a new system with a questionable and unproven coach. 

Chark has the physical attributes, but I'm not sure he's ever going to put it together to be a consistent WR2 or better in fantasy.
So you're down on Lawrence and Meyer...that's fair.   I disagree, but that's a legit reason and somewhat commonly held.

1.  D.J. Moore - WR22/#59 Overall - Moore broke out last year and had a suspiciously low number of TDs despite being among league leaders in YPR.   I have Darnold graded out higher than Bridgewater which should give Moore every opportunity to improve on his already impressive 2020.   WR22 makes zero sense to me.

3. DJ Chark - WR32/#78 overall - The clear #1 for Trevor Lawrence.  Chark has the ability and volume upside to crush his ADP.   Probably my favorite WR value of 2021. I think Chark's game fits perfect with Lawrence's.

4. Jerry Jeudy - WR37/#95 overall - Bridgewater is a clear upgrade over Lock who was one of the worst QBs in the league last year,  Jeudy did have his struggles in 2020 but I expect him to make a leap in '21 with his rare skillset/work ethic combo and a vastly improved QB situation.

6. Michael Gallup - WR48/#115 - I've been touting Gallup on this messageboard since before he was drafted.   With Amari recovering from injury, Gallup will see increased targets...and he's always been a player to take advantage of those targets.   A healthy Dak will be targeting Gallup more than most realize until Amari is back to 100%.   Plenty of WR targets to go around for both CeeDee and Gallup.

7.  Elijah Moore - WR57/#150 - There is already a buzz in Jets camp as you hear anecdotes like "best player on the field"...Elijah is my pick for this year's Justin Jefferson.(unheralded, vastly undervalued in the preseason)

8. TreQuan Smith - WR72/#210 - News on Thomas isn't good and TreQuan has the best pedigree of those remaining.  He has flashed and Jameis isn't afraid to fling it.  Yes there are risks here, Taysom could win the job etc....but at #210 overall you would be hard pressed to find a better upside opportunity at WR.

I really every name there except Chark and Kenny G. It's not even that I dislike those 2 WRs, I am just interested more interested in some of the other names going around them. I have a time splitting Jeudy and Sutton as well. 

Seems like a who's who list of WRs who either:

a. have chicken poo and/or a rookie at QB; or

b. are squarely positioned as their own team's WR3

(Doesn't make them worthless, but I could see loads of bustiness and/or week to week unreliablity from these guys due to the above factors.)

And where is Ruggs on this list?!? A potential WR1 on a good offense with a good QB going in the 10-15th round of drafts right now is the kind of player I was hoping to see when I clicked the link. Cheers to the OP for the effort, though - Trequan is interesting if Famous J becomes the starter, but my money would be on T-Heezy, for now at least.

Seems like a who's who list of WRs who either:

a. have chicken poo and/or a rookie at QB; or

b. are squarely positioned as their own team's WR3

(Doesn't make them worthless, but I could see loads of bustiness and/or week to week unreliablity from these guys due to the above factors.)

And where is Ruggs on this list?!? A potential WR1 on a good offense with a good QB going in the 10-15th round of drafts right now is the kind of player I was hoping to see when I clicked the link. Cheers to the OP for the effort, though - Trequan is interesting if Famous J becomes the starter, but my money would be on T-Heezy, for now at least.
That is why they are undervalued, but my guess is Trip thinks their talent is enough to elevate them. 

I'm not impressesd with TreQuan Smith's body of work for his first three years. I get that Brees was running on fumes much of that time, but I'd rather take a flyer on Marquez Callaway and direct resources used to acquire Smith elsewhere.

I'm not impressesd with TreQuan Smith's body of work for his first three years. I get that Brees was running on fumes much of that time, but I'd rather take a flyer on Marquez Callaway and direct resources used to acquire Smith elsewhere.
Plus I am sure his ADP will take on a little spike here. 

8. TreQuan Smith - WR72/#210 - News on Thomas isn't good and TreQuan has the best pedigree of those remaining.  He has flashed and Jameis isn't afraid to fling it.  Yes there are risks here, Taysom could win the job etc....but at #210 overall you would be hard pressed to find a better upside opportunity at WR.

Henderson all over again.  Take Smith ADP since Thomas went down it isn't 210.

I like Cole Beasley in PPR. He seems to be going somewhere between 12.01 to 12.12 / WR 45-50. He should easily outperform in that offense. 

Tyrell Williams and Amon-Ra St. Brown will both be top 40 WR and are not even in the top 90.  Goff may not be a top 10 qb, but he is not a bottom 10 either.  There is no way Detroit does not have a couple wr in the top 40.  

Tyrell Williams and Amon-Ra St. Brown will both be top 40 WR and are not even in the top 90.  Goff may not be a top 10 qb, but he is not a bottom 10 either.  There is no way Detroit does not have a couple wr in the top 40.  
I like this call here.  I need to take a closer look at Detroit.  What about Perriman?

I like this call here.  I need to take a closer look at Detroit.  What about Perriman?
I don't like Perriman.  He has not stuck anywhere and he has not been doing anything to change that.  The sleeper who has been raising some eyebrows in camp has been Victor Boldin Jr., but Amon-Ra and Williams are the best bets. 

On a per game basis DJ Moore was WR23 last year. Hs beating his ADP primarily depends on Darnold being better than Bridgewater. His WR22 ranking absolutely makes sense.

What makes Golladay an elite talent?

What makes Chark the clear #1 in Jacksonville?

I'm not following how one is referring to Bridgewater as vastly improved relative to Lock while also stating Bridgewater is graded out below Darnold.

Antonio Brown's late season numbers were 8 catches on 12 targets for 81 yards and 2 scores...across 3 games. I assume OP's referring to what he did against Atlanta weeks 15 and 17 when highlighting the finish to his season. Why will that translate against the other 30 teams in the league?

...that's enough.

My top undervalued WR in early drafts is:

Hunter Renfrow WR 104/#326 overall in my latest draft.

Nobody wants the guy and I've ended up with him in 8 drafts so far. Dude will not win a league for you, nor will he be anyone's WR 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, BUT in FFPC bestball leagues he is usually going in the WR100 + range for a guy who has been WR 54 and 58 his first two years. I think he's the Raiders best receiver outside of Waller and my bet to lead all Raider WRs in catches again this year. Maybe Ruggs turns into something, but getting Renfrow 16 rounds later as a WR 8 or 9 is a way better value.

7.  Elijah Moore -WR57/#150 - There is already a buzz in Jets camp as you hear anecdotes like "best player on the field"...Elijah is my pick for this year's Justin Jefferson.(unheralded, vastly undervalued in the preseason)

8. TreQuan Smith - WR72/#210 - News on Thomas isn't good and TreQuan has the best pedigree of those remaining.  He has flashed and Jameis isn't afraid to fling it.  Yes there are risks here, Taysom could win the job etc....but at #210 overall you would be hard pressed to find a better upside opportunity at WR.  His ADP has likely spiked since the Thomas news but if you can nab him late in drafts he's worth a flier.
Just for Comparison, where FBG has them in their DD.

Moore- WR19
Golladay- WR33
Chark- WR37
Jeudy- WR31
Brown- WR55
Gallup- WR36
E Moore- WR60
Smith- WR54

Washington WRs people. This team is legit. D will give them a lot of possessions each game. Their division's defense is horrible. Fitz is gonna sling it and I'd say the improvement at QB will be as dramatic for Washington this year as the Bucs upgrade last year. No, Fitz isn't Tom Brady, but Washington had the worst QB rating last year in the league, just horrific by any metric, so the difference is going to be substantially better. Grab McLaurin, Brown, and Samuel where you can. 100% homer take.  ;)

Their division's defense is horrible. 

Giants have a pretty good defense and the Cowboys D should be much improved. I do love McLaurin though.

I'd say the improvement at QB will be as dramatic for Washington this year as the Bucs upgrade last year. 

Sorry but this statement just screams "ridiculously blind homer" - are we really comparing Ryan Fitzpatrick to Tom Brady? - even when accounting for how bad the WFT's QBs were last season, TB was coming off a QB that threw for 30 INTs.

We all know what Fitz is at this point, he'll have some amazing games but is always a 4 INT game away from being benched.

It's a shame these types of posts/posters are allowed here.

Well, maybe he didn't need the snark, but Bridgewater has been an obviously better QB than Darnold over the last three years. I will give some leeway to the fact that Brady/Rhule don't seem to think so and admit they're probably better talent evaluators than me. Personally I think there's a better chance Darnold gets benched than he becomes a top 15 QB, but we'll see.

I agree on the DJ’s, Moore and Chark. Not as much on Golladay. 

With Samuel gone in CAR and some positive TD regression I think there’s a potential for top end WR2 numbers from Moore. Starting out with another new QB he may get off to a slower start however. 

Chark is one of those if he starts out 7-113-1 in week 1 you’re going to be kicking yourself you didn’t take him kinda situations. Lawrence is elite in my eyes.  I think they will be playing from behind a lot this season, and I think Chark is clearly the best WR talent on this team. 

Golladay I’m struggling to stay positive on. I see an injury prone WR mixed in with a bunch of other WR’S with nobody really standing out. He’s going to need 10-12 TDs in my mind to maintain WR2 status. He might be a good sell high candidate if Barkley is slow to return and Golladay has some string early starts because of this. 

Golladay I’m struggling to stay positive on. I see an injury prone WR mixed in with a bunch of other WR’S with nobody really standing out. He’s going to need 10-12 TDs in my mind to maintain WR2 status. He might be a good sell high candidate if Barkley is slow to return and Golladay has some string early starts because of this. 
He's also going from Stafford to Jones, not a good thing.

This won’t last. Giving Mims Crowder and company a bit of confidence before Moore blows by them in 2 weeks. 

Mims is running with the second team as well. Right now Davis, Cole and Crowder are getting first team reps - I do agree that it's only a matter of time for Moore though.

He's also going from Stafford to Jones, not a good thing.
It’s not just the quality of QB, it’s the matching skill sets that is lost. KG is one of those long guys who wins 50/50 battles, he’s never good at getting separation. Can Danny throw a fastball into a tight window? 

Giants have a pretty good defense and the Cowboys D should be much improved. I do love McLaurin though.

Sorry but this statement just screams "ridiculously blind homer" - are we really comparing Ryan Fitzpatrick to Tom Brady? - even when accounting for how bad the WFT's QBs were last season, TB was coming off a QB that threw for 30 INTs.

We all know what Fitz is at this point, he'll have some amazing games but is always a 4 INT game away from being benched.

In 2019, Winston had a 55.7 qbr for the bucs. in 2020 Brady had a 72.5 qbr. 

In 2020 Washington's Qbr was worst in the league, behind Sam Darnold's 40.1 qbr.  Meanwhile Fitzpatrick had a qbr rating of 76.8 last year. Do the math, if he gets anywhere close to what he did last year, even if its 10% less,  it will be a greater statistical improvement in Washington this year than what the Bucs had going from Winston to Brady.  :grad:

On a per game basis DJ Moore was WR23 last year. Hs beating his ADP primarily depends on Darnold being better than Bridgewater. His WR22 ranking absolutely makes sense.
I expect postiive TD regression and a better offense as I have Darnold rated higher for this offense than Teddy B.

What makes Golladay an elite talent?
Similar to Deandre Hopkins, he is a ball hawk.  He just makes plays.   I expect his targets to increase in New York.

What makes Chark the clear #1 in Jacksonville?

He's the best WR on the roster IMHO.  Big, fast and proven productivity.   I'm expecting a bounce back from his injuries of 2020 and consider this a great buy low spot as the Lawrence reviews from camp are glowing thus far.

I'm not following how one is referring to Bridgewater as vastly improved relative to Lock while also stating Bridgewater is graded out below Darnold.

Darnold > Bridgewater >>>>>>Lock

Antonio Brown's late season numbers were 8 catches on 12 targets for 81 yards and 2 scores...across 3 games. I assume OP's referring to what he did against Atlanta weeks 15 and 17 when highlighting the finish to his season. Why will that translate against the other 30 teams in the league?

Antonio came into TB off the street and was eventually a main cog in the offense.  With a full offseason and camp under his belt you can expect to see something closer to the old Antonio IMHO and I think increased and more consistent targets could be coming his way.

...that's enough.
keep em coming

Washington WRs people. This team is legit. D will give them a lot of possessions each game. Their division's defense is horrible. Fitz is gonna sling it and I'd say the improvement at QB will be as dramatic for Washington this year as the Bucs upgrade last year. No, Fitz isn't Tom Brady, but Washington had the worst QB rating last year in the league, just horrific by any metric, so the difference is going to be substantially better. Grab McLaurin, Brown, and Samuel where you can. 100% homer take.  ;)

Fitz is a big upgrade, but Washington's D and a conservative offensive approach could limit targets.   McLaurin already ranked pretty high.   

In 2020 Washington's Qbr was worst in the league, behind Sam Darnold's 40.1 qbr.  Meanwhile Fitzpatrick had a qbr rating of 76.8 last year. Do the math, if he gets anywhere close to what he did last year, even if its 10% less,  it will be a greater statistical improvement in Washington this year than what the Bucs had going from Winston to Brady.  :grad:

It's not just QBR upgrade that matters though.   Offensive philosophy and play calling matter too.

Ok - good luck with Fitz being the next Brady.

Clearly a downgrade in QB but IMHO an upgrade in targets which will more than compensate for QB downgrade IMHO.
Again, I don't see the math where Golloday gets more targets playing in NY. Over his last three seasons in DET, he averaged 7.5 targets per game (essentially 120 targets in a full 16 game season).

With the Giants, they have way more receiving options . . . Barkley pulled in 120 targets a couple of years ago, Shephard has averaged 7.5 targets per game, Slayton's been right around 100 targets, Engram's been at 7+ targets per game . . . and now they added Toney and Rudolph.

Like with TB, unless you are way down on the other Giants in the receiving game, my math doesn't get Golloday to more targets . . . and that's not even accounting for his production likely to drop playing with a weaker QB in Jones with most of his games outside (with some cold weather potential). I think it's 50/50 that Golloday comes in ranked at his ADP (WR24) . . . and I am not ready to anoint him as an elite Top 5 WR.

Users who are viewing this thread