What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Not undervalued - The most disrespected player is? (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Which "recent" player do you think is the most DISRESPECTED player in the NFL? Not undervalued/underappreciated.... Disrespected.

It MIGHT change now, but for me it's clearly Jared Goff. Superstar? No. Damn good QB? Yes.

There arent too many teams that'd say no to his services, and his body of work is pretty damned impressive in my eyes - man's apparently won 5 of the 7 playoff games he's played in, no less.

When talking heads, pundits (and us) speak of QBs he's always tossed in the "mediocre/average" pile... I'm here to say that this was always and remaind (more than ever) complete disrespect.

You?

I like him, but……

I was explaining the Stafford/Goff trade to my wife yesterday. I said that the Rams likely didn’t feel like Goff could truly get them over the hump to win a SB But felt Stafford could. She then proceeded to watch Stafford do Stafford things and Goff do Goff things.

He’s a good QB as long as he stays in process. I DON’T think he will ever be the guy that could put an entire team in his shoulders and come from behind to win a big one. In fact, last night, I said that if the Rams were to score a TD on the final drive, it was curtains. Fortunately that didn’t happen. If it did, I truly believe the Rams win.

So, yeah, damn fine QB…but not elite.

Goff is 3-3 as a starter in the post season. Not sure where you saw 5-2. Career post season passer rating of 85.4 is only ok. His regular season passer rating is 93.6 (12th among active QB that qualify). IMO, his reputation as being middle of the road / average is probably a bit exaggerated. He's above average, but I I don't think he is a world beater. He played well yesterday, and maybe that will continue throughout the playoffs (which would change how people think of him).

Goff is 3-3 as a starter in the post season. Not sure where you saw 5-2. Career post season passer rating of 85.4 is only ok. His regular season passer rating is 93.6 (12th among active QB that qualify). IMO, his reputation as being middle of the road / average is probably a bit exaggerated. He's above average, but I I don't think he is a world beater. He played well yesterday, and maybe that will continue throughout the playoffs (which would change how people think of him).

Hm, saw or heard it yesterday (don't remember where).... But after last night and doing my own research, he's now 4-3 (and that might be wrong too). But I think 4-3.

Still, not bad, man... Still think he's disrespected in general.

Hm, saw or heard it yesterday (don't remember where).... But after last night and doing my own research, he's now 4-3 (and that might be wrong too). But I think 4-3.

He technically didn't start one of those 4 wins (but he did come in later and play most of the game, so probably fair to give him credit for it).

Well it's kind of funny how Stafford couldn't get the Lions to the playoffs but Goff has.
Yeah, I guess. But Rodgers played every season when Stafford was in Detroit. There were 5 seasons when 2 divisional opponents won at least 10 games and another one when the other 3 teams won 10+ games (to go along with 5 years where there was only one team with 10+ wins). This year, there were no other NFCN teams that had double digit wins. Bottom line, Stafford didn't have anything to do with the division having multiple strong opponents, nor did Goff have much to do with the other teams being weaker this year.

Still, not bad, man... Still think he's disrespected in general.
Per PFR (updated this morning), Goff is 3-3 as a starter in the playoffs. In 2020, he was banged up and didn't start in a game against SEA, but he was forced to come in in relief of John Wolford when Wolford sustained a neck injury during the first half. But since Goff didn't start, Wolford gets credit for the victory,

Goff is 3-3 as a starter in the post season. Not sure where you saw 5-2.

That’s probably my fault, for some reason I thought he was 3-2 and his teams 4-2 before last night (the game he doesn’t get credit for the W Wofford left after 15 snaps and it was 0-0; Goff played through a thumb injury & led the Rams to a win.) Anyway, think he got that info from my in-game post (or somewhere.)

Def had an underwhelming postseason history before last night. But that was an incredible performance last night, 16/18 for 194 in the first half, Lions had 18 first downs in their first 4 possessions.

The only QBs in NFL postseason history to produce a game with 275+ passing yards, a completion percentage of 80.0%+ and a passer rating of 120.0+:

- Jared Goff
- Peyton Manning
- Aaron Rodgers
- Kurt Warner
- Josh Allen

Jared Goff is now 1 of 1. No quarterback has ever won a playoff game and subsequently beaten his old team in the playoffs. Of course he’s not elite, if you think that’s the conversation you understand nothing. He’s resilient. There is nothing tougher in life than being broken but then picking yourself back up & coming back.

Goff is 3-3 as a starter in the post season. Not sure where you saw 5-2.

That’s probably my fault, for some reason I thought he was 3-2 and his teams 4-2 before last night (the game he doesn’t get credit for the W Wofford left after 15 snaps and it was 0-0; Goff played through a thumb injury & led the Rams to a win.) Anyway, think he got that info from my in-game post (or somewhere.)

Def had an underwhelming postseason history before last night. But that was an incredible performance last night, 16/18 for 194 in the first half, Lions had 18 first downs in their first 4 possessions.

The only QBs in NFL postseason history to produce a game with 275+ passing yards, a completion percentage of 80.0%+ and a passer rating of 120.0+:

- Jared Goff
- Peyton Manning
- Aaron Rodgers
- Kurt Warner
- Josh Allen

Jared Goff is now 1 of 1. No quarterback has ever won a playoff game and subsequently beaten his old team in the playoffs. Of course he’s not elite, if you think that’s the conversation you understand nothing. He’s resilient. There is nothing tougher in life than being broken but then picking yourself back up & coming back.
I wasn't knocking Goff. As you said, he was a bit underwhelming in the post season prior to last night. A couple more games like yesterday and DET would be in the SB. But a game like some of his earlier games in his career and the Lions could get knocked out next week. His perceived value could vary a lot based on the outcome of this post season.

I like him, but……

I was explaining the Stafford/Goff trade to my wife yesterday. I said that the Rams likely didn’t feel like Goff could truly get them over the hump to win a SB But felt Stafford could. She then proceeded to watch Stafford do Stafford things and Goff do Goff things.

He’s a good QB as long as he stays in process. I DON’T think he will ever be the guy that could put an entire team in his shoulders and come from behind to win a big one. In fact, last night, I said that if the Rams were to score a TD on the final drive, it was curtains. Fortunately that didn’t happen. If it did, I truly believe the Rams win.

So, yeah, damn fine QB…but not elite.

Agree with this assessment.

I really like Goff, but I really liked Stafford when he was with the Lions.

Goff is a smart, solid QB. Stafford will make more "wow" plays and has a stronger arm. Even better the team respects the hell out of Goff. St Brown chanting Jared Goff at the end. They knew how much this game meant to him.

But remember Stafford threw it up for grabs and the SF defender dropped a sure INT that would have ended the game and their season in the Superbowl year.

So like most good QBs both are capable of big plays and blunders too.

Goff, for sure. But dang, with the stats Brock Purdy has posted this season he's gotta be up there on the list of most disrespected players in the league.
For whatever reason, Purdy gets dinged for playing on a loaded team. There were 8 other Pro Bowl players (plus Purdy) this season, the most from one team since 2013.

Goff, for sure. But dang, with the stats Brock Purdy has posted this season he's gotta be up there on the list of most disrespected players in the league.

I would call Purdy undervalued but I don't know about disrespected. He gets MVP talk after all. I just think the widespread view of him is a little below what it should probably be.

My first thought on seeing the thread title, was Kirk Cousins.

Well it's kind of funny how Stafford couldn't get the Lions to the playoffs but Goff has.
Yeah, I guess. But Rodgers played every season when Stafford was in Detroit. There were 5 seasons when 2 divisional opponents won at least 10 games and another one when the other 3 teams won 10+ games (to go along with 5 years where there was only one team with 10+ wins). This year, there were no other NFCN teams that had double digit wins. Bottom line, Stafford didn't have anything to do with the division having multiple strong opponents, nor did Goff have much to do with the other teams being weaker this year.
Yeah well obviously beating the teams in your division is an important part of winning the division and making the playoffs.

Which Goff and the Lions did this season.

I agree with your point that teams in the NFC North were better overall in previous years than this one, but Detroit was the doormat bottom team of this division despite having Stafford, Megatron, decades of high draft picks and so on. The team with Stafford had talent but couldn't do enough with that. I remember almost every year as a Vikings fan being nervous about the Lions finally waking up and playing up to the talent they had. For decades. But the Lions were almost a bye for their division rivals that whole time.

I think the Lions now are winning for reasons other than Goff. It's a team sport after all.

But it's still funny how the Rams traded Goff for Stafford because they felt Goff wasn't good enough, and they did win a Super Bowl with Stafford, but now Goff has done what Stafford couldn't do in getting the Lions to the playoffs and beating the Rams in the playoffs.

I don't think you can take that away from him by saying the competition wasn't as strong as it was. You play the cards your dealt.

No doubt. It also helps that Goff makes a lot less money than Stafford (so the Lions can put more talent around him) and the Goff/Stafford trade gave Detroit a bunch of draft picks that they turned into key contributors.

Stafford was overrated for quite awhile, and Goff was probably underrated until yesterday.

Because nothing else changed
I assume your being facetious with that comment. Things change all the time.

I think the main difference between this Lions team and teams of the past is coaching.

That doesn't change the QB comparison in my view at all though.
Coaching and overall talent level. Lions had some good (a few great) skill position players when Stafford was there, but never this level of overall talent. Part of that was a result of the Stafford trade of course. Ended up being a key component in their rebuild.

Nothing against Goff but Stafford is the far superior QB, even at his advanced age. Was rooting for the Lions last night so not a Rams fan thing.

I would call Purdy undervalued but I don't know about disrespected. He gets MVP talk after all. I just think the widespread view of him is a little below what it should probably be.

My first thought on seeing the thread title, was Kirk Cousins.
Cam Newton called Purdy a system QB. For a guy with his stats, that's a pretty disrespectful thing to be called.

Because nothing else changed
I assume your being facetious with that comment. Things change all the time.

I think the main difference between this Lions team and teams of the past is coaching.

That doesn't change the QB comparison in my view at all though.
Coaching and overall talent level. Lions had some good (a few great) skill position players when Stafford was there, but never this level of overall talent. Part of that was a result of the Stafford trade of course. Ended up being a key component in their rebuild.

Nothing against Goff but Stafford is the far superior QB, even at his advanced age. Was rooting for the Lions last night so not a Rams fan thing.
Well the coaching staff and Front offices of the Lions and Rams mutually agreed the trade was good for them and both teams have gotten good results from it.

The Lions had Suh and tons of talented players with Stafford. I do think they had a lot of injuries with some of their top picks that set them back, but you don't pick in the top 10 for as many years as the Lions did and not aquire talent.

And Goff has done that twice now. After a historically bad rookie year, many players might have given up on themselves.

If you don't look at game film and remove any team quality context, just looking at stats alone you would have to think Goff is one of the better QBs of the last 8 years. Four seasons over 4000 yards passing, 4 seasons over 25 TDs, a Super Bowl, 3 Pro Bowls, 4 playoff appearances, 3 appearances on the NFL top 100, only 2 losing seasons as a starter, 4 seasons in the top 10 passer rating, 4 seasons in top 10 yards per attempt.

The Lions had Suh and tons of talented players with Stafford. I do think they had a lot of injuries with some of their top picks that set them back, but you don't pick in the top 10 for as many years as the Lions did and not aquire talent.
Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims and Jeff Okudah would indicate otherwise.

Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Ernie Sims and Jeff Okudah would indicate otherwise.
Roy Williams as well

Although Detroit did fleece Dallas when they traded him.

Devin Singletary

Historically never seems to be a preferred option, but when called upon, all he does is produce.
The problem for Singletary is he's been a 175 carry, 1000 YFS, 5 total TD per year back in a league that doesn't appreciate guys that produce twice those numbers. He's a good guy to have on an NFL roster, but the league in general doesn't care much about RBs.

Russell Wilson. Benched despite 29 TD's* vs. 8 INT's and a 98.0 QB rating

* 3 TD's rushing
those number lie. russ couldn't run payton's offense. that's why they started bad. once they junked it for a high school offense filled to the brim with rb checkdowns the d got hot and they won. but russ is a poor fit with payton. he needs to go to atlanta where they just run a lot and would only need a few russ-like plays each game

There is no doubt in my mind that the most under appreciated player in the NFL is Mike Evans. He will finish his career in the top 5 all-time for every meaningful receiving category, and he is never talked about in the discussion of elite NFL players. Did you know that he led (tied) the NFL in receiving TDs this year? With Baker Mayfield throwing the ball!

Roy Williams as well

I gave Roy a slight pass just because he was at least ok. He was very miscast as a 1st round pick and alpha WR but he could have been a good #2, He did have a 1300 yard season (though I think it was pretty inefficient and was based on just getting a ton of targets).

* 3 TD's rushing
those number lie. russ couldn't run payton's offense. that's why they started bad. once they junked it for a high school offense filled to the brim with rb checkdowns the d got hot and they won. but russ is a poor fit with payton. he needs to go to atlanta where they just run a lot and would only need a few russ-like plays each game
Wilson may be a poor fit with Payton over the long term but ridiculous to say "the numbers lie." Wilson was 5th in the NFL in TD/INT ratio.

There is no doubt in my mind that the most under appreciated player in the NFL is Mike Evans. He will finish his career in the top 5 all-time for every meaningful receiving category, and he is never talked about in the discussion of elite NFL players. Did you know that he led (tied) the NFL in receiving TDs this year? With Baker Mayfield throwing the ball!
Is he disrespected though? He's probably headed to the Hall of Fame, has been on the NFL top 100 players 7 times. He AB,'s just never been in that most elite tier. He has always had guys like OBJ, AB, Jefferson, Hill, Julio, Hopkins, Calvin, Demaryius, Jordy, Michael Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald, Diggs, Brown, etc. Evans has been so steady but it seems every year there are 5-8 WRs who are better. The way Evans has been able to stay so healthy year after year is nuts.

* 3 TD's rushing
Wilson may be a poor fit with Payton over the long term but ridiculous to say "the numbers lie." Wilson was 5th in the NFL in TD/INT ratio.
i mean it in the sense that russ wasn't good despite "good numbers." the offense was putrid and points were hard to come by. he misses simple reads all the time. he's just not a pocket or timing guy and doesn't fit the current scheme the coach wants to employ. the team won in spite of that cause the defense started to get lucky with fumbles bouncing their way but such a TO rate was unsustainable long term. he deserved to be benched so as not to get stuck with his contract in case he got hurt cause you could could produce very similar offensive results with almost any qb

Roy Williams as well

I gave Roy a slight pass just because he was at least ok. He was very miscast as a 1st round pick and alpha WR but he could have been a good #2, He did have a 1300 yard season (though I think it was pretty inefficient and was based on just getting a ton of targets).
Top 10 pick though and only one good year. Everything else was pretty average. Not a total bust but not a good pick either. Got a haul from Dallas for him and he didn’t do anything there.

phenomenal call, but he's just underappreciated, imo. never disrespected.... tho i can see not acknowledging his HoF worthy status as being disrespectful

Roy Williams as well

Top 10 pick though and only one good year. Everything else was pretty average. Not a total bust but not a good pick either. Got a haul from Dallas for him and he didn’t do anything there.
Yeah. he was so talented but I am not sure what was going on between the ears with Roy.

* 3 TD's rushing
i mean it in the sense that russ wasn't good despite "good numbers." the offense was putrid and points were hard to come by. he misses simple reads all the time. he's just not a pocket or timing guy and doesn't fit the current scheme the coach wants to employ. the team won in spite of that cause the defense started to get lucky with fumbles bouncing their way but such a TO rate was unsustainable long term. he deserved to be benched so as not to get stuck with his contract in case he got hurt cause you could could produce very similar offensive results with almost any qb
Okay. I see where you're coming from and agree. There are most definitely flaws in Wilson's game that cap his output despite the good efficiency numbers. My point was slightly different in that the media/fan hate is disproportionate to the actual performance but we're on the same page and you're spot on with your assessment.

I'd argue Adam Thielen could qualify as well. Always considered the secondary white guy on the Vikes behind Stefon Diggs then Justin Jefferson. Then goes to CAR when he's called washed up, over the hill, everything else and still puts up quality WR2 numbers on that train wreck of a team with no other weapons to speak of and an overwhelmed rookie at QB who might be one of the worst 1st stringer in the league right now.

I'm sorry I just don't buy into the Jarod Goff most disrespected player. He was the first pick of the draft who at the time of the trade hadn't lived up to his potential. Rams traded up for a more accurate and premier QB who won them the Superbowl. The only knock on the trade for the Rams is they aged their starting QB position 7 years. Lion's players from the Rams via the draft starting safety, OT, LaPorta and Gibbs.

Mason Rudolph selected in the 3rd round of the 2018 draft. Most teams had him graded as a 2nd round pick. Steelers supposedly had him graded in the 1st round. In the 2nd round Steeler's picked his teammate James Washington whose no longer with the team.

Disrespected by Myles Garrett who not only rips his helmet off in a game but then hits Mason with the helmet that Myles ripped off Mason's head. Myles accuses Mason of a racial slur at which none of the players on both teams heard and Mike Tomlin stood behind Mason. NFL investigates and but found no evidence to support Myles claim. I'm sorry Myles is a punk who I'll never root for or better yet should I call a coward. He should have manned up and said he lost his temper.

Steeler coaches: Who after the Browns game in which he was under duress, had his helmet ripped off, as well as 4 interceptions. Struggles the next week and is pretty much benched and left for dead at the end of the Steelers bench for 4 years.

2022 season Mason is given the impression that he would compete for the starting QB job. Steeler's sign Mitch TooRisky. Steeler's draft Kenny "I don't like to throw TDs or throw over the middle of the field" Pickett. There's no competition Steeler coaches have tunnel vision and start the season with Mitch.

2023 season Kenny Pickett ends up averaging .5 passing touchdowns a game. Gets injured.... Mitch TooRisky goes through a horrible stretch and loses to 2 and something win teams Cards & Pats. Week 16 Mason is named the started. Steeler's rip off 3 straight wins and get into the playoffs.

With the Steeler's being the 7th seed going against the Bill's at 4:30pm ET today. Pretty much no one expects the Steeler's to win. The passing game under normal conditions everyone would give the edge to the Bills. However, as song mentioned in another thread, Stefon is descending, and George is an ascending player 43 more yards for Stefon, 3 more TDs and 54 more targets. George has come to life with Mason. Gabe Davis is out so the Steeler's 2nd receiver Dionte Johnson gets the nod and would get the nod in most cases if he doesn't have a multiple drop game. TE's you could give it to the Bill's.

With the current conditions I do think it favors the Steelers offense whose running game has ascended these past weeks due to a complimentary passing game. I think it's going to come to whose QB has the better game with less turnovers. Of which this year it seems like Josh has been a turnover machine. But.... Ultimately, the outcome will hinge on how well each team executes its defensive game plan.

Couple high-end guys I think are still disrespected:

Josh Allen-People focus on the turnovers but they are mostly bad luck, and not really all that different than other QBs on a per play basis, he's just asked to do more than anyone else in the league. He's the NFL MVP in my mind and is a 1st ballot HOF level player. I think Buffalo helps him almost zero, and if you put him on almost any other team they are as successful as Buffalo, or more. Also, his rushing gets completely undervalued. Factoring that in, Allen lead the league in both yards and TD's (by a wide margin) this season.

Amon-Ra St. Brown-I made a statement last offseason that the response I got was to stop trolling, when I said I think St. Brown is a better WR than Ja'Marr Chase. I still stand by it, and I hope others can see why. Amazing routes, great RAC, great blocking, and seemingly always open when a play is needed. Maybe its not as flashy as some other guys, but its more valuable, and speaking of the Lions...

Penei Sewell-He's been the generational OT everyone thought he would become, and he's likely still improving. The Lions OL is good across the board, but Sewell should absolutely be talked about in the same way that Trent Williams is. Man, the Lions nailed that 2021 draft.

Maxx Crosby-If he were on a more successful team I think he'd be talked about differently. My hot take here, is I think Crosby is better than all of Nick Bosa, Micah Parsons, TJ Watt, and even Myles Garrett. But the Raiders are an afterthought. Ask Patrick Mahomes who he hates facing the most. Crosby has 3 straight seasons of between 81 and 108 pressures. Double digit sacks in all 3 seasons, despite being essentially a 1-man gang, and being a menace against the run. Like Crosby I think a similar sentiment could be said about...

Dexter Lawrence-I thought he was always the best DL on that famed Clemson DL that had 3 top-20 picks, and he's easily proven me right. The NFL's best run stuffer, also with 135 pressures the last 2 years, on a team with few other threats. Aaron Donald is in a league of his own, but Lawrence is every bit as good as guys like Chris Jones or Quinnen Williams, but again, because he's on the Giants, he flies a little under the radar.

Users who are viewing this thread