What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (3 Viewers)

jm192 said:
I can't imagine they've faked it. 

I don't see the upside.  He downplayed it, then got it.  The headlines write themselves.  Saying you've flown allover the country and refused to wear a mask and never caught it does more for Trump's "the virus isn't that bad" camp.  

Moreover, it kills campaign events.  It may jeopardize the next debate, which he obviously needs to perform well in.  The markets have tumbled and that hurts his economy argument and "look how great your 401K is."
No way he is faking it, it is absurd. Look how many people would have to be in on it. We would already have leaks out of the WH that he was faking. He would be 10000x more likely to fake the opposite way and cover up a positive test. I hope this crazy conspiracy goes way a long with all the others floating around the internet. They are not healthy for the country. 

Widbil83 said:
Even in a forum made up of 95% Democrats you seem to be the only one who still thinks Biden holding a campaign event trashing the President today was a good idea. 
Now is really not the time to spread lies. 

Her daughter is going to be pissed.
She is. She broke the news and implied her mom has infected the whole family. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an accurate statement supported by polls.  Maybe your disgust should be pointed towards the respondants.  
It would also mean about half of the Republicans on this board are not sad about Trump having COVID. So maybe we can just leave this out of here and let people's words here speak for themselves. 

It would also means about half of the Republicans on this board are not sad about Trump having COVID. So maybe we can just leave this out of here and let people's words here speak fior themselves. 
Exactly...trying to push those motives based on that poll to people on this board was pretty bad.

It would also means about half of the Republicans on this board are not sad about Trump having COVID. So maybe we can just leave this out of here and let people's words here speak fior themselves. 
But that is an inaccurate statement of what the poll said.  The choices were sad, happy, indifferent or worried.  91 percent of Republicans positively stated they were sad or worried.  Answering worried is not the same as saying they are not sad.  40 percent of Democrats in the poll positively said they were happy and 41 percent were indifferent.  What i said was accurate.  What you stated is not.  

It would also mean about half of the Republicans on this board are not sad about Trump having COVID. So maybe we can just leave this out of here and let people's words here speak for themselves. 
Slightly shifting gears back to subject at hand:

Watching FoxNews now is a lot more enlightening than any other network, just to see what the messaging is. 

This seems to be the message, what we're reading here:  the Dems are saying mean things, the liberal media is playing the blame game, etc. 

I think that will fire up the base, people who are hardcore already, and they might fire off some tweets, but I'm not sure any campaign traction is gonna get made by clutching pearls. 

But that is an inaccurate statement of what the poll said.  The choices were sad, happy, indifferent or worried.  91 percent of Republicans positively stated they were sad or worried.  Answering worried is not the same as saying they are not sad.  40 percent of Democrats in the poll positively said they were happy and 41 percent were indifferent.  What i said was accurate.  What you stated is not.  
You made a generalization based on a sample.  It’s fine.  Lots of people do it.  Just leave it at that.

While 55 percent of Republicans reported feeling "sad" and 51 percent reported feeling "worried" 
#pizzamath

Do poll results offend people.  Really funny how triggered people are about facts and wanting to turn accurate statements into personal attacks.  

I don't know that it's the ONLY reason.  It's possible Trump is insisting he get the best possible care and feels the only way to get that is at Walter Reed.
Ok...not the "ONLY" reason...though I was speaking of the SS and doctors, not Trump himself.  We already know the SS has told him on many occasions, "no, you can't do that".  I'm relatively confident that would be the case here as well.  I also got a preemptive text from my buddy saying "Don't ask, I can't talk about it"  :lol:  

That's possible, but I find it highly unlikely.

I can't see Trump wanting to go to a hospital.
Correct. He hates them.  For those who believe the story, his nieces book puts a lot of this into perspective. 

It's not pizzamath. It's a word association game, where the pollster threw out a bunch of words and then asked respondents to reply with Yes or No.

A surprising number of Republican respondents (15%!!) replied "Yes" to the word "Excited."
The pizzamath is jon apparently not understanding it wasn't a multiple choice question and combining the results in a nonsensical way. 

Who...which elected officials...which journalists and blue checks...please back this up with something.
Can’t do it. We tried to get this ball rolling yesterday only to have the posts deleted. Apparently calling the Democrats out here is frowned upon. 

You made a generalization based on a sample.  It’s fine.  Lots of people do it.  Just leave it at that.

#pizzamath
Also..the poll was more than just those 4 options...if you search morning consult poll Trump Covid...you can download the actual poll.

It was a lot of questions...the series of them about learning about Trump testing positive, 

As you may know President Donald Trump has tested positive for COVID-19(coronavirus).  How well do each of the following describe how you feel about the news that President Trump tested positive for coronavirus? Angry 
Angry, Confident, Depressed, Excited, Frustrated, Happy, Indifferent, Nervous, Surprised, Worried, Scared, Sad, or Upset.

Asked that same question for each of those and given the option of Very well, Somewhat well, Not too well, Not well at all, Don't know/no opinion, 

A “happy” could be someone who thinks he’ll recover but that the experience will cause him to take the threat to others more seriously in the future— that he might learn a lesson. Schadenfreude is real too though. And others are just happy because they dislike him so much. I have no idea how the numbers divide up.

Which part of it was fat fingered and how are you going to correct it?
I need to see how the poll waa set up.  It is confusing hiw it was reported since the numbers add up to more than 100.  I assumed it was one question instead of a series of questions.  It seems it is a series, so then it is questionable how much overlap there is.  Different people respond to a series of questions differently.  Some people will only say yes to one answer as best describing how they feel while others will pick multiple answers.  But since there is some overlap, the numbers will not be cummulative.  So that was an error on my part.

Can’t do it. We tried to get this ball rolling yesterday only to have the posts deleted. Apparently calling the Democrats out here is frowned upon. 
No...I think any moderator would allow you to call out actual bad behavior by elected officials (without namecalling them and so on.)  You can prove your point rather than making a blanket statement/accusation about people.  I think the baseless accusations are far worse and more frowned upon.  I think its good to know who is out there acting poorly in office.

That is an absolutely brilliant article. 
I get what its trying to say but Trump made his proverbial bed nows he has to sleep in it.  He doesnt get away with 4 years of his BS and dividing the country and more importantly spreading false information about Covid.  Thats just not how the world works.

It is an accurate statement supported by polls.  Maybe your disgust should be pointed towards the respondants.  

Total BS.  Everything i stated was accurate.  Are facts offensive?  Maybe the poll was erraneous, but the poll says what it says. 

But that is an inaccurate statement of what the poll said.  ...  What i said was accurate.  What you stated is not.  

Do poll results offend people.  Really funny how triggered people are about facts and wanting to turn accurate statements into personal attacks.  

I need to see how the poll waa set up.  It is confusing hiw it was reported since the numbers add up to more than 100.  I assumed it was one question instead of a series of questions.  It seems it is a series, so then it is questionable how much overlap there is.  Different people respond to a series of questions differently.  Some people will only say yes to one answer as best describing how they feel while others will pick multiple answers.  But since there is some overlap, the numbers will not be cummulative.  So that was an error on my part.

:lmao:  

Suppose @BobbyLayne liked the post for it's news content - thanking the poster for bringing breaking news.  Maybe it wasn't pleasure at someone else's health issue.

It seems to me that you are reading a lot into someone lining a post, and then accusing others of reading minds.
The handshake would have been a more appropriate emoji. 

Attempt #2
Sorry.  I'll disengage.

Eta: I'll take it a step further and update my ignore list.  It's not that Jon is a bad guy or a #### poster, it's because he posts too many things I want to argue and it's not worth it.

Error implies that it wasn’t deliberate. It seems to me that there is a strong, deliberate desire to condemn Democrats for insensitive feelings towards the President’s condition. 
See now this an example of projecting motivation of a poster.  

I woukd also state that the reason why sad and worried are two consistent feelings so that they will be overlap between the two groups.  Happy and indifferent are more mutally exclusive so there would be much less overlap between thise two responses.  

Not so much a projection as a conclusion, based on both history and the evidence of the moment. Still I could be wrong. But that’s how I view it. 
Really why this forum goes down the tubes.  I try to defend a viewpoint as being fairly mainstream into how people feel, and you think i am a troll with all these evil motivates.  This is exacly why no sane conservative wants to post in this place.

Did not attend Rose Garden event - which makes this a little more troubling.
I would be very surprised if he wasn't in close contact with multiple positives from that party since the event. 

It's still jarring to see everyone at that event without a mask. 

The Commish said:
All that said...I have zero sympathy for Trump...not even a single drop.  His own choices put him in this situation.
My thoughts on the whole thing as well. I hope he recovers and is fine  but actions have consequences 

Did not attend Rose Garden event - which makes this a little more troubling.
I spent a bunch of time reading last night and I think Ronna McDaniel or the Trump campaign is where patient zero came from. The Rose Garden was obviously a super spreader event,  but there have been a lot more interactions than just that one event. 

TBH, my disgust is in people trying to score political points.  As you know, I detest partisan hackery.  In this specific case, it's people trying to claim that one side is more "mean" or "hartless"  or whatever, knowing full well their candidate has 

A) openly mocked political opponents for health issues

B) openly resisted any attempts of public safety related to COVID including mark usage and re-opening.

C) has failed to ever show an ounce of compassion.

You know full well if it was Biden who had COVID, Trump and his acolytes would be dancing in the streets.
As much as this might be true, we can't let Trump be the new standard in which we measure ourselves by.  I am glad Biden wished him well and stopped negative ads for now.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Thanks. But why more troubling? There’s a thousand ways he might have caught this.
You answered your own question.

If the WH spread was simply a single event, that could be effectively dealt with via isolation.  If the community spread is already 2 or 3 degrees beyond the Rose Garden, containment is not a viable strategy.

Really why this forum goes down the tubes.  I try to defend a viewpoint as being fairly mainstream into how people feel, and you think i am a troll with all these evil motivates.  This is exacly why no sane conservative wants to post in this place.
I’m sorry, I didn’t call you a troll. I don’t think you are a troll- if I did I wouldn’t have responded to you. 
Trolls are dishonest and awful people. I think you’re a good person and an honest one  jon. But I also think that you sincerely believe that Democrats and liberals have bad thoughts and intentions as a general rule, and you look for examples to promote and interpret that will confirm your conviction, and this gets you into trouble, which then causes you to complain about this forum. That’s my firm impression. Personally I wish you would steer away from this stuff as you’re capable of offering quite thoughtful commentary. 

Thanks for the article. I fully agree with the point and I dislike that style of article they reference where the author combs through a zillion twitter posts to find the 8 extreme takes. Then they try to make it seem those 8 extreme takes are the normalized view of a bigger group. It's an ugly way to work.

BUT, are we saying that type of article is the same thing as a reputable poll by a reputable news source asking a large group of people and reporting how they answered?

That seems to be a very different thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread