What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump/White House Covid positive thread (3 Viewers)

As with everything in life, there is some nuance in this discussion.  You can have empathy for him and his family, but at the same time you can be hopeful that this may get the GOP to finally take COVID seriously.  You can be concerned for our country with our head of State being incapacitated yet feel schadenfreude that the very policies the GOP put forth is likely to be responsible.

These statements are not contradictory and distilling it down to a single statement is silly.
Correct. Instead of indifferent, I’d prefer to characterize my feelings as ambivalent.

I'll also point out that people being "happy" a bad thing happened to a President is not at all new behavior. Based on historical research of the time, many Southerners and Northerners celebrated Lincoln's assassination. We gloss over that with the help of time, but it was real then too. This is natural human behavior, and to pretend that this instance is somehow worse or different than any other is incredibly naive, IMO.
As a kid, I remember my stepdad saying some positive things about the MLK assassination in 1968. He grew up in deeply segregated Dothan Alabama, so not surprising. A racist by birth, I guess. His legacy is my half-sister, who was born after he died, a barbeque sauce recipe,  and love for okra and gardening. 

As a kid, I remember my stepdad saying some positive things about the MLK assassination in 1968. He grew up in deeply segregated Dothan Alabama, so not surprising. A racist by birth, I guess. His legacy is my half-sister, who was born after he died, a barbeque sauce recipe,  and love for okra and gardening. 
That particular death was one I was curious about in regard to the current discussion these last few pages. It seems like there was really only one poll done relating to his death (different times, obviously), but 31% of Americans chose the response "he brought it on himself." 

He’s clearly telling doctors to try anything to help him. Hopefully someone there is making sure he gets proper treatment and not just giving into every request he makes.
All that stuff is pretty benign, but he’s definitely a candidate for “VIP care” that has been shown to result in worse outcomes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s had a chest CT, for example, which will do nothing to change his management, but unnecessarily expose him to radiation, waste PPE and place radiology personnel at risk of infection. 

I'll also point out that people being "happy" a bad thing happened to a President is not at all new behavior. Based on historical research of the time, many Southerners and Northerners celebrated Lincoln's assassination. We gloss over that with the help of time, but it was real then too. This is natural human behavior, and to pretend that this instance is somehow worse or different than any other is incredibly naive, IMO.
Sure, but each of us can choose to be better than that.

Wow. You think? For the future, you could start with acknowledging this first and save a ton of wasted time. 

It sucks that's where we are. Regardless of how we got here. 

I have a guy I would call a friend that I see maybe once a year. He lives in another state and owns a very successful business and is active on social media. He's a regular non crazy, non fringe person. I've hung out with him several times and like him. He posted on his instagram stories where he has thousands of followers last night: "Sending thoughts and prayers to the president and first lady on their speedy and successful deaths".

I think anyone who wants to think this is a few fringe people in an internet article where they try to gather the super fringe guys with 8 followers and try to paint the whole group has their head in the sand. 
Woah, wait a minute @Joe Bryant. First you’re talking about the Newsweek poll, which is admittedly disturbing, and then you offer an anecdote about someone you know that wants Trump to die. That’s a completely different thing from expressing happiness or satisfaction that he’s ill. 

Maybe my head is in the sand, but I am guessing that those who want Trump to die, who would be happy with that outcome, are a small fringe number of people. And I object to you claiming otherwise. 

So Trump is also getting Zinc, vitamin D, aspirin, melatonin and an antihistamine, none of which are standard of care for treating covid.
Zinc, D and Pepcid has been suggested for many months to help prevent/minimize the affects of Covid. I haven’t heard any connection of melatonin to Covid except to maybe get rest as rest is good for any healing. 

No oxygen is key - despite the army of pulmonary/critical care doctors, he probably doesn’t meet criteria for hospitalization.

That's messed up.
I mean, the “he brought it on himself” comment isn’t THAT messed up. If I saw some Roger on the street behaving completely irresponsibly and then catching it, I’d think the same. That’s a whole lot different from a lot of the nasty “I hope he dies” stuff on Twitter. The latter is just so indefensible. 

Given how divisive and nasty he’s been, it’s not incredibly surprising to me that people aren’t too broken up about this. And I think he’s brought that on himself too.  For me, I don’t wish death or disease on anyone, but I’m also sort of :shrug:  about it.  

No oxygen is key - despite the army of pulmonary/critical care doctors, he probably doesn’t meet criteria for hospitalization.
I agree. You or me in his condition, we’re resting at home comfortably. He’s the President so it’s Walter Reed. I think “abundance of caution” was likely a true statement. 

Zinc, D and Pepcid has been suggested for many months to help prevent/minimize the affects of Covid. I haven’t heard any connection of melatonin to Covid except to maybe get rest as rest is good for any healing. 
None of those supplements have good data - Pepcid is probably the best, but not generally recommended. I linked the data for them a couple pages ago. Melatonin is one of a bazillion drugs that theoretically has some anti-covid activity, but again, no legit data.

Best analogy for me: guy drives home hammered from the bar every night and is completely reckless about it, even flaunts it. People tell him not to, he keeps doing it. One day wraps his car around a tree and dies. I’m sort of indifferent about that. He was asking for it, and in the end, I’m sort of OK with the end result being he took out just himself rather than some innocent child. 

But yeah I’m not wishing death on Trump or anyone, and I’m sure not Tweeting a death wish.... jeez....

I agree. You or me in his condition, we’re resting at home comfortably. He’s the President so it’s Walter Reed. I think “abundance of caution” was likely a true statement. 
“Abundance of caution” is not good enough, as bad things happen in the hospital - acquisition of hospital acquired infections, blood clots and falls, to name a few. Unless there is something major they’re leaving out, he’d be safer at the White House with continuous oximetry.

Wow. You think? For the future, you could start with acknowledging this first and save a ton of wasted time. 
Not being excellent.

Understandable - given the nature of the conversation.  But, still, not excellent.

Perhaps useful when evaluating other posts mid-conversation.  Not everything should be evaluated as a stand-alone comment.

Also, he probably doesn’t meet criteria for remdesivir, which isn’t as benign a drug as all the other stuff he’s receiving.

Chris Christie announced on Twitter that he’s positive too

Damn too slow lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Abby D. Phillip@abbydphillip·13m

Dr. Conley says the president has had a fever since Thursday. The WH disclosed his positive diagnosis at 1am on Friday morning.

Makes that trip to Bedminster even more egregious 

Best analogy for me: guy drives home hammered from the bar every night and is completely reckless about it, even flaunts it. People tell him not to, he keeps doing it. One day wraps his car around a tree and dies. I’m sort of indifferent about that. He was asking for it, and in the end, I’m sort of OK with the end result being he took out just himself rather than some innocent child. 

But yeah I’m not wishing death on Trump or anyone, and I’m sure not Tweeting a death wish.... jeez....
One small change. That same drunk driver encourages all his friends to drive drunk too.

Not being excellent.

Understandable - given the nature of the conversation.  But, still, not excellent.

Perhaps useful when evaluating other posts mid-conversation.  Not everything should be evaluated as a stand-alone comment.
Agree.  Thought similarly when I read it.  Joe you are better than this and have more than enough positive equity built up.  I think the stress of this board, this incident, this moment in history, and your friend's tweet have all conspired to knock you off balance.  As such, am happy to provide you the leeway we ALL provide one another IRL that many seem to find so hard to do in these virtual worlds.  Still, maybe it'd be best if you sit this one out for just awhile and let the faceless mods attend to any out-of-line people and posts.  With respect,

Maggie Haberman@maggieNYT · 44s

Conley says we are 72 hours into the diagnosis. We were told around 1 am on Friday morning that POTUS was positive, which is only 36 hours ago.
So that would mean he tested positive the morning after the debate, did not tell the Biden camp or any debate attendees, went to a fundraiser + rally in MN on Wednesday, and went to the Bedminster fundraiser on Thursday before CNN uncovered the outbreak.

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Was it a series of questions? Were people allowed to choose more than 1 option? Maybe we can just ignore this unclear poll and leave the projections of it onto our community members. People in the media and online have said things for themselves. Let that be what it is. Let people here speak for themselves. 
Not that we have to state the obvious about issues with polls and the way they are worded.  There is no context.  

Are the "happy" votes for happy Trump got it and are hoping for him getting sick? I hope not.  Was it a "happy" vote because maybe they thought he will be fine, and this might get Republicans on board with more precautions?  I would understand that thinking more.  :shrug:

So that would mean he tested positive the morning after the debate, did not tell the Biden camp or any debate attendees, went to a fundraiser + rally in MN on Wednesday, and went to the Bedminster fundraiser on Thursday before CNN uncovered the outbreak.
Irresponsible is probably the nicest thing you could say about his behavior.

Maggie Haberman@maggieNYT · 44s

Conley says we are 72 hours into the diagnosis. We were told around 1 am on Friday morning that POTUS was positive, which is only 36 hours ago.

:oldunsure:
This timeline is starting to look really really bad. It sounds like maybe he knew a lot earlier, was taking some experimental drugs, and was still going about his business meeting with people? Aye....

72 hours would put the diagnosis at Wednesday morning - the morning after the debate. I am having a hard time thinking that the doctor making a statement to the nation on the health of the president would get a significant fact like that wrong. I also read that Chris Wallace is saying that the negative COVID tests for the debate were based on the "honor system" and that the candidates reported they were negative. 

Given this and all the subsequent activities (fundraisers and rallies), I'm starting to get a little upset here...

Per Chad Pergram (Fox), Senate will be out session until at least October 19.
Given that ~ 1/3 are involved in elections, its going to be tough to get anything done/passed prior to the election.  That includes any COVID relief bill - for which the Senate deserves much shame for failing to act up to this point.

If true, that is really messed up on multiple fronts.  

72 hours would put the diagnosis at Wednesday morning - the morning after the debate. I am having a hard time thinking that the doctor making a statement to the nation on the health of the president would get a significant fact like that wrong. I also read that Chris Wallace is saying that the negative COVID tests for the debate were based on the "honor system" and that the candidates reported they were negative. 

Given this and all the subsequent activities (fundraisers and rallies), I'm starting to get a little upset here...
Starting? Would it really surprise you? He’s treated this whole thing as a joke from the very beginning. 

Swell.  Just so reckless and disgusting behavior.

Starting? Would it really surprise you? He’s treated this whole thing as a joke from the very beginning. 
Can't say that I expected that he knew (or strongly suspected) he had COVID and still went around maskless to campaign functions. I admit I am legitimately surprised if this is how things went down.

That's messed up.
I mean, the “he brought it on himself” comment isn’t THAT messed up. If I saw some Roger on the street behaving completely irresponsibly and then catching it, I’d think the same. That’s a whole lot different from a lot of the nasty “I hope he dies” stuff on Twitter. The latter is just so indefensible. 

Given how divisive and nasty he’s been, it’s not incredibly surprising to me that people aren’t too broken up about this. And I think he’s brought that on himself too.  For me, I don’t wish death or disease on anyone, but I’m also sort of :shrug:  about it.
Yeah I think there are miles of separation between “happy” about it happening to him and “he brought it on himself”.  In fact I think you can feel he brought it upon himself and be sad he has it while wishing him a full recovery.  

Given who we're talking about here, I think it's fairly safe to assume that whatever the most irresponsible course of action might have been is probably what actually happened.  Just amazing that this is our government.

Wow, that presser with the doctor makes this clear.  The doctor kept repeating when asked if the president had been on oxygen, “yesterday and today he was not on oxygen.”  They refused to say he never was.

That’s a pretty easy tell that he was on oxygen Thursday, maybe Wednesday (the day after the debate).  The doctors also said he wasn’t on oxygen “here” (at Walter Reed), so he must have been on oxygen at the White House. 

The comments on diagnosis tell you he learned as early as Wednesday morning.  So Wednesday and Thursday he knew, he got some treatment, was put on oxygen while still at the White House, maybe drank some bleach, and then it wasn’t until things got worse, and his vitals went downhill (the White House source saying his vitals became “very concerning”), that he publicly announced it and then within hours went to the hospital. 

How many people did he see over the course of those days?  How many people did they NOT tell in the interim?  The contact tracing and quarantining could have started far earlier. I wonder how many additional people caught this as a result of that concealment. 

Eesh. This is not good. Not on any level. 

/press (one's) luck

To risk one's good fortune, often by acting overconfidently.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Sad is the only proper response. It sucks the President has COVID and I hope he is getting the best care possible. It also sucks that it was statistically probable that he would get COVID based on his attitude, approach, and behavior. Is anybody actually surprised that this happened? An unforced error at the highest level. The word sad applies here. So does ridiculous. So does stupid. Can a guy be compassionate and wildly disappointed at the same time?

Mine would be jaywalking.  A person decides to jaywalk in to a busy street, one time they do it and don’t see the car barring down. They get hit and rushed to the hospital.  I feel bad for them and hope for a full recovery but also feel they brought it upon themselves.  

After the doctor completed the press conference, it appears Mark Meadows "anonymously" leaked to reporters - 

“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care. We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”

That doctor was like a politician, ducking and evading with answers that didn't really answer the questions.

Between this and the NFL feeling like the season is about to come crashing down, this feels like those days back in March when the NHL and NBA shut it down and we all went into hibernation mode.  Not good.

After the doctor completed the press conference, it appears Mark Meadows "anonymously" leaked to reporters - 

“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care. We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”
So glad this is put out on background anonymously.  That's totally how a well-functioning government works.

Users who are viewing this thread