What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tua appears to absorb Back 2 Back concussions vs Buff/Cinci and the NFLPA terminates neurotrauma consultant that cleared him to return (1 Viewer)

Does the fired UNC get his job back, file a lawsuit, or none of the above?

independent contractor and the contract states "NFL has sole discretion to cancel contract at any time", I am no lawyer but reading the contract he won't be able to sue. I also don't know what his damages would be. You sign a new contract every season and it really doesn't pay that well compared to just working a shift in the ER.
I do think that it was a huge error, but now that the NFL seems to have taken the stance that no error was made in the protocol, I suppose they could give him the job back.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Remember, Tua had memory issues and inability to recall things after GB concussion. Doctors are taking this very seriously, to the point they told the coaching staff that they should not discuss ANY topics that could cause him stress, such as when he might play again.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Why do SOME Fins fans on Twitter seem irked that Tua hasn't progressing more quickly through protocol? If doctors thought he was healthy enough to do on-field non-contact work, he would be. As for Teddy, he needs to be able to throw more than 15 or so yards to start if needed.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Remember, Tua had memory issues and inability to recall things after GB concussion. Doctors are taking this very seriously, to the point they told the coaching staff that they should not discuss ANY topics that could cause him stress, such as when he might play again.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Why do SOME Fins fans on Twitter seem irked that Tua hasn't progressing more quickly through protocol? If doctors thought he was healthy enough to do on-field non-contact work, he would be. As for Teddy, he needs to be able to throw more than 15 or so yards to start if needed.
Thanks Bracie,

-This is directed at BJs comments about Twitter, "Fins fans irked" just give it a rest. It's Twitter and there is disgusting posts on there all day in the Sports category. ON a football Sunday when there are player injuries, some of the most vile posts while you are simply streaming for sideline updates, disgusting.
So when Barry acts offended from Twitter, well you know what they say about people easily offended, right? Not too bright?

I'm assuming that was all Barry's comments but maybe you stated the bottom of that post, not trying to insult anyone. But I don't know any Phins fans pushing him onto the field this weekend, let's not paint the Miami Dolphins fans as blood thirsty monsters.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Thanks Bracie,

-This is directed at BJs comments about Twitter, "Fins fans irked" just give it a rest. It's Twitter and there is disgusting posts on there all day in the Sports category. ON a football Sunday when there are player injuries, some of the most vile posts while you are simply streaming for sideline updates, disgusting.
So when Barry acts offended from Twitter, well you know what they say about people easily offended, right? Not too bright?

I'm assuming that was all Barry's comments but maybe you stated the bottom of that post, not trying to insult anyone. But I don't know any Phins fans pushing him onto the field this weekend, let's not paint the Miami Dolphins fans as blood thirsty monsters.
Barry seems to be well liked now by most of the sports media down here, but there are still some who go head to head with him on twitter. Armando Salguero is probably the most mocked on twitter (bc he is a maga conservative who likes to muckrake (he was the one who posted about McDaniels job being in jeapordy).

I don't think Tua plays. I don't think the dolphins win. I do think we have a new QB next year whose name rhymes with Jom Frady, and Tua and Thompson are his backups.

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Thanks Bracie,

Barry seems to be well liked now by most of the sports media down here, but there are still some who go head to head with him on twitter. Armando Salguero is probably the most mocked on twitter (bc he is a maga conservative who likes to muckrake (he was the one who posted about McDaniels job being in jeapordy).

I don't think Tua plays. I don't think the dolphins win. I do think we have a new QB next year whose name rhymes with Jom Frady, and Tua and Thompson are his backups.
I don't see that happening after Ross blew our 1st Rd pick over tampering with Brady. If he was coming here eventually anyways, why would you blow it and get suspended for 8 games?
You get caught stealing, after serving jail time, they give you the items you stole in the first place?
That's what we are saying here basically.

don't see that happening after Ross blew our 1st Rd pick over tampering with Brady. If he was coming here eventually anyways, why would you blow it and get suspended for 8 games?
You get caught stealing, after serving jail time, they give you the items you stole in the first place?
That's what we are saying here basically
Agree that Brady is unlikely to play for the Dolphins. It would be a 1 year Hail Mary and so many things could go wrong ... plus tough conference and high likelihood of several bad weather games and playing vs good defenses. There is another factor ... Brady is building a mega-mansion on Indian Creek and Giselle just bought a mini-mansion just a couple hundred foot swim away on Miami Beach's Biscaya Island. He and Giselle and the kids could get together every day of the NFL season.

Gisele Bundchen visits new Miami home after divorce from Tom Brady https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

don't see that happening after Ross blew our 1st Rd pick over tampering with Brady. If he was coming here eventually anyways, why would you blow it and get suspended for 8 games?
Agree that Brady is unlikely to play for the Dolphins. It would be a 1 year Hail Mary and so many things could go wrong ... plus tough conference and high likelihood of several bad weather games and playing vs good defenses. There is another factor ... Brady is building a mega-mansion on Indian Creek and Giselle just bought a mini-mansion just a couple hundred foot swim away on Miami Beach's Biscaya Island. He and Giselle and the kids could get together every day of the NFL season.

Gisele Bundchen visits new Miami home after divorce from Tom Brady https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton
Yes, the optics would say that for the sake of the kids and extending his career but Miami doesn't have the money, doesn't have the Defense, doesn't have the OL, doesn't have the steady running game or Superback.

I get it, 5 All Pro OL, 4 Playmakers on Defense, 3 Pro Bowl WRs, 2 Stud Running Backs, 1 HoF Tight End and Tom Brady will walk into the Super Bowl
;)

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Thanks Bracie,

I don't see that happening after Ross blew our 1st Rd pick over tampering with Brady. If he was coming here eventually anyways, why would you blow it and get suspended for 8 games?
That's what we are saying here basically.
If he already lost a first rounder, wouldn;t he want a return on that investment?

Yes, the optics would say that for the sake of the kids and extending his career but Miami doesn't have the money, doesn't have the Defense, doesn't have the OL, doesn't have the steady running game or Superback.

I get it, 5 All Pro OL, 4 Playmakers on Defense, 3 Pro Bowl WRs, 2 Stud Running Backs, 1 HoF Tight End and Tom Brady will walk into the Super Bowl
;)
MOP: you were singing a different tune a month ago. As I have said, what are Miami's needs? Well, a healthy secondary, a cover linebacker, a RB, and a durable QB. We were 8-3 without the first 2 pretty much for the whole season. You don't think Brady solves a lot of that? YOu don't think Brady's "lebron like" recruiting doesn't solve some of the other issues?

Without pinning all my hopes to Brady, the writing may be on the wall here: He has a place down here. Ross loves him some Michigan players. He will be a free agent (so no more picks get tossed here if they do this right). McDaniel can build an offense around Brady's limitations at this point, and finally He gets to stick it to Bill B twice a year. RB issue: Someone will sign to play w Brady (or wilson and mosert will continue their platoon). TE issue: Hi, my name is gronk and I come as a package deal here. Defense? Well, boyer likely needs to go, but all the pieces are there. Back up QB? Well Tua and Skylar can't get too annoyed when Brady is ahead of them.

Even losing the first for the tampering (and the Flores nonsense) seems like a bargain if they end up getting brady for the 2023 season and all of his boys (Playoff Lenny anyone?)

@schadjoe
·
2h
Tua Tagovailoa is the youngest player to lead the NFL in passer rating since Dan Marino in 1984. #MiamiDolphins

;)
MOP: you were singing a different tune a month ago. As I have said, what are Miami's needs? Well, a healthy secondary, a cover linebacker, a RB, and a durable QB. We were 8-3 without the first 2 pretty much for the whole season. You don't think Brady solves a lot of that? YOu don't think Brady's "lebron like" recruiting doesn't solve some of the other issues?

Without pinning all my hopes to Brady, the writing may be on the wall here: He has a place down here. Ross loves him some Michigan players. He will be a free agent (so no more picks get tossed here if they do this right). McDaniel can build an offense around Brady's limitations at this point, and finally He gets to stick it to Bill B twice a year. RB issue: Someone will sign to play w Brady (or wilson and mosert will continue their platoon). TE issue: Hi, my name is gronk and I come as a package deal here. Defense? Well, boyer likely needs to go, but all the pieces are there. Back up QB? Well Tua and Skylar can't get too annoyed when Brady is ahead of them.

Even losing the first for the tampering (and the Flores nonsense) seems like a bargain if they end up getting brady for the 2023 season and all of his boys (Playoff Lenny anyone?)
Gator,

You are going to have to be specific. I don't know what tune you speak of.
I don't see where Brady has a future in the NFL, I'm surprised people are discussing it.
He's had 3 amazing years for the Bucs and I've watched them all. The Bucs are my 2nd favorite team and it was a hard pill to swallow watching him take over and it wasn't working very well when he was 7-5 in 2020 before going on a Super Bowl run. I don't think he wants to be a Miami Dolphin and I don't think Miami should be trying to play a 46 year old QB.

I think I see some of you changing your tunes. Where is all the Tua support? Seems like everyone is pushing off and assuming his career is over

;)

Gator,

You are going to have to be specific. I don't know what tune you speak of.
I don't see where Brady has a future in the NFL, I'm surprised people are discussing it.
He's had 3 amazing years for the Bucs and I've watched them all. The Bucs are my 2nd favorite team and it was a hard pill to swallow watching him take over and it wasn't working very well when he was 7-5 in 2020 before going on a Super Bowl run. I don't think he wants to be a Miami Dolphin and I don't think Miami should be trying to play a 46 year old QB.

I think I see some of you changing your tunes. Where is all the Tua support? Seems like everyone is pushing off and assuming his career is over
I still support Tua, but let’s face it, he’s been hurt every year he has been in the league (and I think the shanahan offense seems to get qbs killed) so who is the most durable qb in history? i also think that someone like Brady extends Tua’s career, bc Tua can spend a year as a backup without losing face (it’s Tom Brady). Any other qb Miami brings in is as a backup to Tua. Brady (and to a lesser extent Rodgers and maybe only Lamar) are qbs you would say “well, Tua needs to sit behind those guys“

not sure what Brady still has left in the tank, but waddle and hill and a running game can extend anyone (and we haven’t seen a real drop off in arm talent like we saw with Peyton)

now, you are correct: maybe Brady doesn’t want to come here, but I think there are a few reasons he does. 1) he has a place down here and his kids are down here. 2) Stephen Ross, the Michigan homer, is interested so he not only gets to be “home”, he also has the ear of the owner (a guy who is totally a star-f’er) and 3) he gets to play the patriots 2x a year. Other than San Fran (who really has less of a need for Brady then we do) where would Brady want to be if he wants to keep playing? Tampa? Likely the only other spot bc the division is so weak, and ours isn’t. The titans? Just to be w vrabel? the raiders? Maybe a little more than miami but a lot farther from his kids, and that division may be more comp than ours.

just doing the math. If Tua had made it through the back end of the season healthy the. Maybe his isn’t a discussion (I still think ross makes his pitch either way). The fact that going into camp next year the whole narrative will be Tua’s health you either have to spend for a backup (when all they wanted was solar to take that role) or you move Tua down a peg, get a guy like Brady have Tua and Thompson back him up for cheap and then see what things look like in 2024 (when we have draft picks again and the knowledge of how Tua’s noggin is doing)

I believe Barry Jackson is the only one implying that the memory issues are the main reason for Tua not clearing protocol more quickly. That would be atypical for a memory problem without LOC to linger for so long. We're still in the dark about Tua's recovery. I think the doctors are being extra cautious because no one would want to clear Tua and then have him suffer a 4th concussion in 4 months.

I believe Barry Jackson is the only one implying that the memory issues are the main reason for Tua not clearing protocol more quickly. That would be atypical for a memory problem without LOC to linger for so long. We're still in the dark about Tua's recovery. I think the doctors are being extra cautious because no one would want to clear Tua and then have him suffer a 4th concussion in 4 months.
without the Damar tragic event staring them in the face, they would have trotted Tua out there- ignoring Tua's personal health

since the game is against Damar's Bills, there is no way in hell the league lets Tua on the field for this game, with a chance to destroy all credibility to the NFL's claims of player safety .
call it the Troy Vincent effect

memory is what put him in the protocol.

Today is a key step, IMO. He'll either have progressed enough for the league doctor to put him in the next stage and he'll be able to follow the rest of the return protocol (in which he could still not play) and practice or McD will announce he's out and start preparing Skylar.

Today is a key step, IMO. He'll either have progressed enough for the league doctor to put him in the next stage and he'll be able to follow the rest of the return protocol (in which he could still not play) and practice or McD will announce he's out and start preparing Skylar.
I hope they haven't waited until Wed Afternoon to start preparing, I'm half kidding but I hope they told Thompson after the win last week despite his lack of production, that he better be mentally and physically prepared to start at Buffalo and some of that preseason magic better start to rise to the surface. He isn't throwing the ball down field well like he displayed before the season started. I understand preseason is vanilla defenses and guys that will never make an NFL roster, etc...but he looked liked he had a lively arm and he looked better than a lot of other prospects.

It would be something for Miami if he does the unthinkable this weekend, that would change the arc of the team in the off season and give Miami more leverage vs Tua. As it stand now, i think Tua can miss the rest of the year and then just tell Miami that without some guarantee of some amount of $$$ that he isn't likely to take the field.

Tua signed a 4yr/$30M+ deal as a rookie and has made almost $26M of that money. Everyone should read that twice slowly and start digesting what many in here are suggesting
Tua has the leverage, not the Phins
I laughed when i heard someone(TV Media) say generational money on his next contract, like he was being robbed of the good life and sure, $100M+ guaranteed is generational but so was a $19.5M signing bonus he got 2.5-3 years ago and his family is humble, they are not lavish, my gut would say he is heavily invested and will never need to work another day in his life. Easily can fetch a job on the TV, he is squeaky clean and comes across well, never dodges questions that i know of and in general he has the franchise QB job nailed down in every way except for these unfortunate string of concussions and also 12 injuries in the last 5 seasons is taking a toll on a relatively small QB by NFL standards.
I feel terrible for Tua and I feel terrible for the young NFL fans, we have kids that have grown up and hardly ever seen Miami do anything remotely impressive.
Miami needs to find their Kirk Cousins circa Washington when RG III was injured and never the same after, they kept developing the back up

I get a headache trying to wrap my head around things in motion with this team "right here right now"
Owner-GM-Head Coach-Franchise QB...all 4 of those merit their own discussion

Last edited:

Memory issues can be subjective and/or objective. What started the concussion protocol were conversations between Tua and coach MM during the Monday film review. IIRC, and reading between the lines, Tua was in a fog about some of the 2nd half of the GB game when he had 3 INTs. If he still doesn't remember some plays before or after the concussion, that alone wouldn't be enough to keep him in protocol. Has Tua failed objective memory tests of new learning ... I doubt it but who knows. My hunch is that he knows a 4th concussion in 4 months could be career ending or risky for long term health, not that a 3 concussions in 3 months isn't a big concern. Give him the off-season to think about it and evaluate the use of other helmets. AFAIK, there are no accepted blood or CSF biomarkers for CTE, but that may change in the near future: https://alzres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13195-022-00976-y

Honestly, if I'm Tua, I'm done with football.
He WILL continue to get concussed. He just isn't built for this. Not worth it.
You could be right. OTOH, there are examples of injury-prone players overcoming that tag and having a productive, even HOF career. Larry Csonka had a concussion in his rookie year with loss of consciousness and 2 days of hospitalization in the 5th game of his rookie year. He played 2 weeks later. He had multiple broken noses and other concussions. He wore a special helmet to built to reduce concusions but eventually discarded it after his post concussion headaches went away and he changed his head-first running style. With Tua, we're in the dark about his recovery, I think the docs are reluctant to clear him and the have him suffer a 4th concussion in 4 months. Maybe a special helmet will help.

Honestly, if I'm Tua, I'm done with football.
He WILL continue to get concussed. He just isn't built for this. Not worth it.
I dunno, I'd take a few hits to the head for $5OM. YOLO.
He already did
well he's earned about 20M, huge money comes with the next contract.
As I wrote a few posts up
Tua signed a 4yr/$30M+ deal as a rookie and has made almost $26M of that money
He is only owed about $4M next season, he's not going to play for $4M next year IMHO
I bet Burrow and Herbert are extended at the stroke of Midnight whenever Day 1 for legally extended rookie players still under contract.
I'm in the minority but Stephen Ross will back the truck up like he always does.
Howard squeezes the front office almost every year and gets a salary bump of one kind or another, that will stop this year.

Also, Tua and his family are super comfy and didn't have a lot of money when he was young, they are super humble, think he already has his life changing money and could jump right into the media/booth, has a Tebow-like quality to him that attracts fans. He is not in any way hurting for money right now.

Users who are viewing this thread