What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (1 Viewer)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
This is an area I’ve disagreed strongly with your moderation.  I give posters and Tweeters the same leeway I give comedians.  They shouldn’t get cancelled or a ban/TO for obvious jokes that some don’t find funny.  Because once you head down that slippery slope then it’s a matter of what is funny and who is offended (like you point out).  We allow jokes for things we are comfortable with but not for things we aren’t.  I’d rather ignore, change the channel or just not laugh than cancel.  Just my thought.

I fully understand that. We're just not going to do that here. 

Our community is very different than an audience for comedians in my opinion. 

And I believe creating a place that feels more civil has been a big part of what makes the forum what it is.

I also fully understand there are folks who would agree with you.

It's like most all the stuff we do. I have no idea if our way is the right way. it's just how we're going to try and operate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an area I’ve disagreed strongly with your moderation.  I give posters and Tweeters the same leeway I give comedians.  They shouldn’t get cancelled or a ban/TO for obvious jokes that some don’t find funny.  Because once you head down that slippery slope then it’s a matter of what is funny and who is offended (like you point out).  We allow jokes for things we are comfortable with but not for things we aren’t.  I’d rather ignore, change the channel or just not laugh than cancel.  Just my thought.
But where is the line on what an “obvious joke” is? To give an example, Michael Richards infamous stand up moment was probably not an “obvious” joke. Moderators will have to draw a line somewhere.

But where is the line on what an “obvious joke” is? To give an example, Michael Richards infamous stand up moment was probably not an “obvious” joke. Moderators will have to draw a line somewhere.

Absolutely.

This is how I see it as well.

I think the other big thing lots of people don't think through is how it eventually is seen. And the responsibility I have of owning the platform.

We moderate pretty strictly. And I still get lots of messages from people saying, "Good to know you're cool with (whatever offensive post they've found on the forum). Of course in 99.99% of the cases, we're not cool with it it at all. We just haven't seen the post. But that's still how it plays out. 

The platform has some responsibility I think. 

I fully understand that. We're just not going to do that here. 

Our community is very different than an audience for comedians in my opinion. 

And I believe creating a place that feels more civil has been a big part of what makes the forum what it is.

I also fully understand there are folks who would agree with you.

It's like most all the stuff we do. I have no idea if our way is the right way. it's just how we're going to try and operate. 

Agree Joe and I actually appreciate the moderation for several reasons.  I guess to address both these posts maybe I disagree with the line because we are all drawing lines.  Tons of jokes are allowed - I think where we disagree is on where the line goes but that’s understandable and I’m fine with erring on the side of caution.

just to further clarify - my leeway comment was just that - acknowledging there is a line.  I won’t give examples for obvious reasons but there’s been a ton of jokes where people get in trouble.  Actually I will give one example and hope that Joe will just hide the post if required

I told another poster to “Shut it, cracker”.  I was replying to another long term poster with an obvious joke.  I got a week off for that.  And no, this isn’t an attempt to turn this in to a moderation debate.  I’m just pointing out in the context of censoring that obvious jokes in most cases should be ignored.  Maybe somebody might say that comment isn’t an obvious joke but that is where the slippery slope comes in.  I accept the ultimate “Joe’s house, Joe’s rules” or better context, “Twitters house, Twitters rules”.  I just think it’s a fine line.

It’s from the bb, it’s a joke.  If it’s from the Onion, it’s a joke.  

just to further clarify - my leeway comment was just that - acknowledging there is a line.  I won’t give examples for obvious reasons but there’s been a ton of jokes where people get in trouble.  Actually I will give one example and hope that Joe will just hide the post if required

I told another poster to “Shut it, cracker”.  I was replying to another long term poster with an obvious joke.  I got a week off for that.  And no, this isn’t an attempt to turn this in to a moderation debate.  I’m just pointing out in the context of censoring that obvious jokes in most cases should be ignored.  Maybe somebody might say that comment isn’t an obvious joke but that is where the slippery slope comes in.  I accept the ultimate “Joe’s house, Joe’s rules” or better context, “Twitters house, Twitters rules”.  I just think it’s a fine line.
One takeaway I’ve gotten from this thread is that Twitter isn’t the best place for comedy. They have decided that the potential abuse that could be caused by allowing certain language outweighs the benefit of users finding something funny.  

From a business perspective, this seems reasonable to me. 

I don't find that kind of humor funny, so I would likely not pay to see a comedian like that.  But I find those who might be inclined to cancel him to be more vile that he is.

If left to its own society always corrects.

I don't find that kind of humor funny, so I would likely not pay to see a comedian like that.  But I find those who might be inclined to cancel him to be more vile that he is.

If left to its own society always corrects.
By “canceling”, do you include placing a Twitter user in read-only mode until they agree to remove a Tweet?

Show me some serious BB or Onion material.
Are you suggesting that Twitter carve out exemptions to policy for certain users that are deemed comedic? I can see some logic in that although I can understand why Twitter might want to handle it differently.

But the movement representing them is extremely invested in forcing everybody else to play-act in someone else's role playing game
I think viewing trans people as merely “playing a role playing game” is pretty divorced from the reality of what they’re going though.

eta: It’s possible I misunderstood and you’re not actually somebody who thinks they just decide to be trans so try can use different bathrooms and dominate track.

Are you suggesting that Twitter carve out exemptions to policy for certain users that are deemed comedic? I can see some logic in that although I can understand why Twitter might want to handle it differently.
Let’s face it, they banned the account because someone was offended.  If I posted something that these cretins find remotely offensive, I’m getting a bunch of tweets from these people, and they are reporting it to Twitter.  Twitter isnt doing anything on their own.  

I should add that the woke movement is not the first time we've seen a fundamentalist moral panic erupt in a secular setting.  The red scare in the 1950s was very similar, which is why it inspired so many parallels to the Salem witch trials.
I know you aren’t equating things but Twitter placing the Babylon Bee in read-only mode until they agree to remove a Tweet is such a far cry away from burning witches. My worry is that the negative attacks against woke-ism become worse than the negative ramifications of woke-ism.

If a left wing site comparable to BB tweeted a joke about abortion, should they get their account shut down?  Why or why not?

I'm pretty familiar with the anti-gay rights movement, at least the "National Review style" side of that movement, and I can tell you with certainty that this is not the same argument.

There are some obvious similarities, like how some people think the issue should be settled by how words (such as "marriage" or "woman") are defined.

I know you aren’t equating things but Twitter placing the Babylon Bee in read-only mode until they agree to remove a Tweet is such a far cry away from burning witches. My worry is that the negative attacks against woke-ism become worse than the negative ramifications of woke-ism.
No, but organizing little hate-mobs to get people fired from their jobs is actually comparable to burning witches.  That was the point of The Crucible.

Let’s face it, they banned the account because someone was offended.  If I posted something that these cretins find remotely offensive, I’m getting a bunch of tweets from these people, and they are reporting it to Twitter.  Twitter isnt doing anything on their own.  
They were “banned” because Twitter felt they violated its policy on misgendering. Some or all of what you say might also be true.  That doesn’t invalidate my first sentence.

No, but organizing little hate-mobs to get people fired from their jobs is actually comparable to burning witches.  That was the point of The Crucible.
Next time there is a thread started about such a hate mob, I’ll be eager to participate. I’ve recently found this topic fascinating. It seems, in my opinion, that most of these threads are overblown by the anti-woke crowd here but I know this always won’t be the case.

It’s from the bb, it’s a joke.  If it’s from the Onion, it’s a joke.  
Exactly. Obviously, something being a joke doesn't automatically excuse it, but it's good to be able to recognize whether something is intended as humor or not.

I think the "it wasn't even funny" argument isn't so much about censoring jokes I don't like, rather about the ability to recognize whether something is at attempt at comedy or not. To me, when I don't find something funny, that thing is now less likely to be viewed as a joke in my mind. One of the characteristics of a joke is that it is funny. When that's missing, I may not recognize it as a joke.

When an average Joe tries to drop a joke they heard from a comedian into a conversation, they might totally mess it up with their delivery and their audience may not get the reference. In such a case, what they said may not be funny and therefore may not be seen as an obvious attempt at humor. That can get people into some hot water. Now that person is seen as racist or sexist or whatever because they said something in way that seemed mean-spirited.

None of that applies here, though, unless someone is completely unfamiliar with what the Babylon Bee is. Anything coming from them should first be seen as attempt at humor. Like I said, that doesn't necessarily excuse everything they might hypothetically say, but it should at least play a role in the analysis of the situation.

Exactly. Obviously, something being a joke doesn't automatically excuse it, but it's good to be able to recognize whether something is intended as humor or not.

I think the "it wasn't even funny" argument isn't so much about censoring jokes I don't like, rather about the ability to recognize whether something is at attempt at comedy or not. To me, when I don't find something funny, that thing is now less likely to be viewed as a joke in my mind. One of the characteristics of a joke is that it is funny. When that's missing, I may not recognize it as a joke.

When an average Joe tries to drop a joke they heard from a comedian into a conversation, they might totally mess it up with their delivery and their audience may not get the reference. In such a case, what they said may not be funny and therefore may not be seen as an obvious attempt at humor. That can get people into some hot water. Now that person is seen as racist or sexist or whatever because they said something in way that seemed mean-spirited.

None of that applies here, though, unless someone is completely unfamiliar with what the Babylon Bee is. Anything coming from them should first be seen as attempt at humor. Like I said, that doesn't necessarily excuse everything they might hypothetically say, but it should at least play a role in the analysis of the situation.

That little bolded word is sorely left out of a lot of these types of situations though.   It means everything in daily life, but seems to mean #### on SM and online.  

I get that it's a lot harder to assess tone and intent in written form, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't make the attempt.  

I'm pretty familiar with the anti-gay rights movement, at least the "National Review style" side of that movement, and I can tell you with certainty that this is not the same argument.  It's not even a similar argument.

Another important difference is that the gay rights movement had actual, affirmative arguments in favor of their position.  The arguments of TRAs seem to all fall under some variety of "shut up," "go away," and "I'd like to speak to your manager."  There is no underlying argument -- it's just strong-arming.  
The folks opposed to the gay rights movement all behaved like they were being strong armed. They consistently argued that the right to gay marriage was an attack on traditional marriage, am interference with their rights. I think you may have forgotten the rhetoric involved. 
The trans movement is no different. You may think it is but it’s not. All trans people want is to be left alone and treated with dignity and the same as everyone else. 

The folks opposed to the gay rights movement all behaved like they were being strong armed. They consistently argued that the right to gay marriage was an attack on traditional marriage, am interference with their rights. I think you may have forgotten the rhetoric involved. 
I was here for this.  It was before your time, but we did approximately 180,000 threads on the specific topic of gay marriage.  I promise I know how those arguments went.

It wasn’t “little hate mobs”, and if you think so then you misunderstand both Arthur Miller and the Red Scare. The threat came not from individuals or mobs of individuals but from The power of the state. 

Sorry but comparing the woke movement to the Red Scare is truly absurd. The danger of the Red Scare was that Congress and the FBI were involved. 

The problem with this for Twitter is how to enforce this. It’s impractical to assess the comedic value of every questionable tweet. As I mentioned earlier, they could decide to exempt or otherwise favor certain users (such as the Babylon Bee and other comedy/satire groups or people) from its policy on misgendering. That also seems messy. 

The rhetoric tended to be about having things shoved down people's throats -- which always seemed a little too on-the-nose in that context.

I was here for this.  It was before your time, but we did approximately 180,000 threads on the specific topic of gay marriage.  I promise I know how those arguments went.
I can’t speak for the arguments here, at least not before my time. But you’re wrong in general. 

The rhetoric tended to be about having things shoved down people's throats -- which always seemed a little too on-the-nose given the context.
Exactly. Beyond the terrible pun, the point stands that the anti gay folks made themselves out to be the victims- which is hardly unique for these type of movements. 

Sorry to sound so frustrated but these constant comparisons to terrible events in history annoy me perhaps more than anything I can think of. And it’s from both sides. AOC compared Trump’s detention camps to Auschwitz. Black athletes compare not being paid to lynching. In this forum @BladeRunner compared silly college students to murderous Russian Bolsheviks, and now Ivan is comparing the woke movement to the Red Scare. It’s all crap. None of this compares. These analogies are all BS. 

You added some new thoughts (false assumptions I believe) so I responded to them. If you’re going to continue to make comparisons that I find to be utterly absurd, then I’m likely going to continue to point that out. 

I’ve read all about it. Dozens of books literally. You’re wrong. 
The Hollywood Blacklist exists today.  How many in the business talk about their conservative values?   One of my best friends is in the business and most will get blackballed if it were known they were a Republican. 

The Hollywood Blacklist exists today.  How many in the business talk about their conservative values?   One of my best friends is in the business and most will get blackballed if it were known they were a Republican. 
The Hollywood Blacklist involved the FBI, at the direction of J Edgar Hoover, approaching studios and warning them who Communists were suspected of being, and pressuring executives to fire them and refuse to hire them. 

It does not exist today. 

For what it’s worth, I agree with @IvanKaramazovabout affirmative action and abortion, but I agree with @timschochetabout transgender stuff.

In 30 years I expect there will be no genders listed on passports and birth certificates and other government documents.  It will not be especially unusual to see people under 18 transitioning.  Attitudes will have changed as more and more people have loved ones, friends, and work colleagues that are trans.  Only fringe groups will publish something like the Babylon Bee’s satire. Trans people will be fully integrated into our lives.  There will be more trans celebrities, more trans politicians, etc.

And we’ll still be bitterly fighting about abortion and affirmative action.

Society will have collapsed by then.  I don't have time to explain it now, but there is evidence out there that suggests that societies collapse when their young men get more and more effeminate.  If that EVER becomes the norm, then we're going to be in serious trouble because the fact of the matter is if "more and more" come out, then that means this is becoming a learned behavior instead of being something nature decides.  These should be - for lack of a better term - anomalies and not the norm.

IMO, there is no doubt in my mind that this kind of thing is being pushed on young people causing them to question their sexuality when in reality there was no question at all...ever.

The Hollywood Blacklist involved the FBI, at the direction of J Edgar Hoover, approaching studios and warning them who Communists were suspected of being, and pressuring executives to fire them and refuse to hire them. 

It does not exist today. 

It may not be the exact same Hollywood Blacklist, but Gina Carano and James Woods would beg to differ with your assertion that a blacklist doesn't exist. 

It may not be the exact same Hollywood Blacklist, but Gina Carano and James Woods would beg to differ with your assertion that a blacklist doesn't exist. 
If they really believe that (I haven’t heard it from them) then they’re whiners. 
Jon Voight is one of the biggest conservatives there is in Hollywood these days. Strong Trump supporter. He’s getting roles all the time. 

Blacklists exist for bigots, sexual abusers and the like. And it should. No Blacklist exists for conservatives. 

This all makes a lot more sense if you understand that tim thinks he's basing his predictions on how these issues have played out in the US historically.  What he's really basing them on is an idiosyncratic way of framing the issue.

Tim see this stuff as "civil rights issues."  If that's your frame of reference, it's easy to see why he thinks those folks would win and why any backlash would be temporary.  The civil rights movement did win.  So did the women's rights movement.  So did the gay rights movement.  And so on.

But you could just as easily frame this as a "religious fundamentalists freaking out" issue.  The woke movement is just a modern, secular form of fundamentalism.  Those people tend to lose in the long run, because normal people can only take so much fundamentalist rigidity before they throw their hands up and say "enough is enough."  
Can I just say thank you for this post. I have had many thoughts regarding the rigid intolerance present in woke/cancel culture, but using the word "fundamentalism" finally allowed me to evolve on this topic.

Drawing out the parallel, one observes that wokeness has defined a number of sins, and I posit that the reason past transgressions can't be moved on from is that there's no supernatural grace figure; Woke Christ didn't come to die for everyone's woke sins.

Can I just say thank you for this post. I have had many thoughts regarding the rigid intolerance present in woke/cancel culture, but using the word "fundamentalism" finally allowed me to evolve on this topic.

Drawing out the parallel, one observes that wokeness has defined a number of sins, and I posit that the reason past transgressions can't be moved on from is that there's no supernatural grace figure; Woke Christ didn't come to die for everyone's woke sins.
Woke can be intolerant in terms of attitude, especially young people (I see it in my daughters.) And yes it be fundamentalist. Ivan is perfectly correct to make such comparisons. 

Where I disagree with Ivan and others is the comparison to the red scare. This is nothing like that. It also is not the disintegration of society that @BladeRunner is warning about. It’s just a wave, we’ve had them before, we will have them again. For the most part woke is a good thing, and the bad parts will have no long term effects on our freedoms. 

Woke can be intolerant in terms of attitude, especially young people (I see it in my daughters.) And yes it be fundamentalist. Ivan is perfectly correct to make such comparisons. 

Where I disagree with Ivan and others is the comparison to the red scare. This is nothing like that. It also is not the disintegration of society that @BladeRunner is warning about. It’s just a wave, we’ve had them before, we will have them again. For the most part woke is a good thing, and the bad parts will have no long term effects on our freedoms. 
Yes, it's all quite similar to my feelings regarding religious people that I know. I lived that life before and am so closely acquainted with it; it's startling to realize there's a secular version of fundamentalism, but here we are.

Users who are viewing this thread