What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (1 Viewer)

Has anyone tried to challenge this in courts? I honestly don't know. I agree that it is BS and wish someone would. 
Yes there have been at least 3-4 challenges. Almost all are pending, still, but one basically pushed the issue and denied it because they said there wasn’t enough evidence of Trump’s intentions.

I don't think they will be.

Now, if you said you were going to look into the tax returns of Trump Org - then, I think I might get some :popcorn:

But, Trump's personal returns  :shrug:

I would bet there is nothing interesting there.
What would be interesting is what isn’t there, namely donations to charity. Might also be interesting to see what his effective tax rate is. 

What would be interesting is what isn’t there, namely donations to charity. Might also be interesting to see what his effective tax rate is. 
I don't really care about that.  Sure, it would make for some headlines.  But I don't care what he donates, or how low his tax rate is... I would care if he was indebted to someone in a way that could influence his decisions - but I don't think you would find that in his personal returns.  Maybe in the Trump Org returns, but even then, I think  it would be difficult to find.

This is why I am sure the national emergency talk is just bluster, but I'm secretly kind of hoping Trump is dumb enough to try it. Obviously it would go nowhere, but in the inevitable lawsuits when the administration tries to demonstrate that there is actually a national emergency, it will shine a spotlight on how completely FOS they and this entire line of thinking are. 
You're assuming that the GOP judges on the Supreme Court won't back Trump. The GOP Congress hasn't stood up to him, the base is completely behind anything he does. Why should anyone expect this Court to be anything except blatantly partisan?  I'm not even sure what the standard is for a President declaring a state of emergency. Maybe he can do it. The only remedy for a President abusing power is impeachment and the Senate is never going to go along with that no matter what he does.

You're assuming that the GOP judges on the Supreme Court won't back Trump. The GOP Congress hasn't stood up to him, the base is completely behind anything he does. Why should anyone expect this Court to be anything except blatantly partisan?  I'm not even sure what the standard is for a President declaring a state of emergency. Maybe he can do it. The only remedy for a President abusing power is impeachment and the Senate is never going to go along with that no matter what he does.
I wouldn't assume either way with the Supreme Court, or any federal judges. Note the hearing for Flynn for an example. While politicians are slaves to election cycles with unfettered freedom to be hypocritical at any time, I think judges, in their nature, appreciate the power of legal precedent. I.e., if we ok this, then we're basically nullifying any scrutiny of the power ever. JMHO, There's a distinction between leaning conservative on social issues and being a willing co-conspirator in party politics.

There's a hilarious comment on the Sanders-Wallace comments

"Joe six pack with his high school degree is scared an immigrant studying engineering at the University of Texas is going to steal his hob."

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
SCOTUS isn't beholden to anybody. Why would any of them feel obligated to get behind Trump? Even Kavanaugh.

SCOTUS isn't beholden to anybody. Why would any of them feel obligated to get behind Trump? Even Kavanaugh.
:goodposting:

I get the fear, but the Supreme Court is well aware that the Legal conclusions they draw are going to be dissected and scrutinized in the most public way well into the future. No one cares what some blowhard legislator said 3 years later. I don't think Kavanaugh, or any other Supreme Court Justice, wants to go down in infamy having a laughable Legal conclusion on the record.  

While I agree it was the goal, in legal terms it was not a ban on Muslims. And I don't know, maybe they will. But these are different things.
That's what it was meant to be and putting in a few phrases to give themselves some cover doesn't change it from the moral abomination that it is. I think that's a worse decision than letting Trump use "national security" as an excuse to build his stupid wall without congressional approval would be. He used national security as an excuse to put tarriffs on some of our allies which was completely absurd but the courts didn't (couldn't?) stop him. The current Attorney General apparently is an illegal, unconstitutional appointment but there's no sign of the courts doing anything about it.

I hope you are correct and our system's checcks and balances will win out, I'm just not very optimistic that it's going to be true.

I get the fear, but the Supreme Court is well aware that the Legal conclusions they draw are going to be dissected and scrutinized in the most public way well into the future. No one cares what some blowhard legislator said 3 years later. I don't think Kavanaugh, or any other Supreme Court Justice, wants to go down in infamy having a laughable Legal conclusion on the record.  
The victors write history... 

I wonder if Justice Taney ever reflects on his Dred Scott decision while he's burning in hell.

Kavanaugh would just have a few more beers and forget about any wretched decisions he's a part of.

Scalia would beg to differ 

Insomniac said:
They backed him on the Muslim travel ban. Why wouldn't they back him on this?
They backed him on the massively revised travel ban and I think several lawyers on this board predicted they would.  The original would never have stood. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Insomniac said:
I wonder if Justice Taney ever reflects on his Dred Scott decision while he's burning in hell.

Kavanaugh would just have a few more beers and forget about any wretched decisions he's a part of.
You may be right. Maybe I give the Supreme Court more credit than I should. To the rover's point, Scalia will probably live in infamy for some of his quotes.

No deal. 

Manu Raju

Multiple sources said there was no real negotiation about a dollar amount they could agree to. And Dem official says admin “didn’t come with a full budget justification for the $5.7 billion. That means they couldn’t explain what they would do with all of the money“ they want
:(

No deal. 

Manu Raju

Multiple sources said there was no real negotiation about a dollar amount they could agree to. And Dem official says admin “didn’t come with a full budget justification for the $5.7 billion. That means they couldn’t explain what they would do with all of the money“ they want
I don't understand why they aren't making this a bigger issue. 5 billion is only enough money to build less then 200 miles of wall. How is 5 billion going to help in the long run ,so what are you going to spend it on ?

I don't understand why they aren't making this a bigger issue. 5 billion is only enough money to build less then 200 miles of wall. How is 5 billion going to help in the long run ,so what are you going to spend it on ?
Why would they need to make it an issue?

Trump: Here is a detailed proposal for a wall.

Pelosi: no wall.

Or......

Trump: i want money for a wall. We will figure it out after.

Pelosi: no wall. 

Its a silly talking point or a lame stall tactic. 

Aside from the shutdown, don't forget...

Trump's government has no confirmed:

Secretary of Defense

Secretary of the Interior

Attorney General

White House Chief of Staff

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator

UN Ambassador

plus vacancies in hundreds of other critical positions

UN Ambassador
Former Fox newshead, then State spokesgal, and to avoid confirmatiom they merely declare the position to be non-cabinet. How?
Because it was never an official cabinet position in the first place. The President has the authority to invite any senior staffer into his Cabinet meetings, and he can describe them as "Cabinet members", but it's more of a symbolic designation.

They backed him on the massively revised travel ban and I think several lawyers on this board predicted they would.  The original would never have stood. 
I didn't go to law school so I don't pretend to argue legal points with you but itseems obvious what the purpose of this was and I find it to be nothing more than outright bigotry. I understand the law is about fine distinction but some of the Justices agreed with me. 

Users who are viewing this thread