What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

University of Idaho college student murders - suspect arrested (1 Viewer)

So they have DNA on a knife sheath, surveillance video of his car in the area at the time of the murders, a witness that saw a masked man with bushy eyebrows, and cell phone records of him being in the area 12 other times. Is that enough to convict? Jeez not a lot to go on.
They don't lay out their whole case in the affidavit. Just enough to get the warrant. Chances are they have loads more stuff that place him at the scene that night
Hopefully

So they have DNA on a knife sheath, surveillance video of his car in the area at the time of the murders, a witness that saw a masked man with bushy eyebrows, and cell phone records of him being in the area 12 other times. Is that enough to convict? Jeez not a lot to go on.
They don't lay out their whole case in the affidavit. Just enough to get the warrant. Chances are they have loads more stuff that place him at the scene that night
Hopefully
There is nothing hopeful about it. Also - it's not just as simple as saying the dude was at the party and left the knife sheath there.

Also - it's not just as simple as saying the dude was at the party and left the knife sheath there.

Left the knife sheath on the bed next to a dead body. Or, the "real killer" picked up the knife sheath that he found laying around the house somewhere and put it on the bed. Sure.

All the lawyer has to do is say the guy was at the house for parties in the past and left his knife sheath behind.
I think it is not believable that one of the victims likes to keep a past partygoers knife sheath laying on her bed beside her as she sleeps.

And, I could be mistaken, but they weren't partying there that night either. Two were returning from a fraternity house party and two were returning from a bar with a stop for some food on the way home. Right? Was there a party there that night? If not, SUPER weird to leave a knife sheath of a party goer on your bed from a previous evening's party.

All the lawyer has to do is say the guy was at the house for parties in the past and left his knife sheath behind.
I think it is not believable that one of the victims likes to keep a past partygoers knife sheath laying on her bed beside her as she sleeps.
Defendant left behind knife & sheath on a previous date. Real killer found knife/sheath when entering the house and use it to kill the victims. Took knife. Left behind sheath by accident.

Also - it's not just as simple as saying the dude was at the party and left the knife sheath there.

Left the knife sheath on the bed next to a dead body. Or, the "real killer" picked up the knife sheath that he found laying around the house somewhere and put it on the bed. Sure.
You realize I dont think thats what happened. But a lawyer can easily use that theory in his defense.

You realize I dont think thats what happened. But a lawyer can easily use that theory in his defense.
A lawyer can use any theory they come up with. Doesn't mean it is a winning theory

I didnt say he left it behind on the bed. Left it behind at the house. "The real killer" found it and used it.

Not in any sense that would cause reasonable doubt. What terrible luck that the "real killer" found his knife there (wonder why he never went and asked for it back?) AND happened to be driving a car exactly like the one he drove AND happened to be carrying his cell phone for a portion of the evening. Poor guy.

Defendant left behind knife & sheath on a previous date. Real killer found knife/sheath when entering the house and use it to kill the victims. Took knife. Left behind sheath by accident.

You think his defense attorney is going to actually place the defendant IN the house prior to the murders?

Interesting - Students aren't required to change registration of their vehicles unless they also change residency and becoming a resident of Washington is much harder than other states for college students. I know, I tried that angle with my oldest.....

Bryan Christopher Kohberger, who is accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students, changed the title of his car five days after the murder.

Records show that he applied to transfer the title of his white 2015 Hyundai Elantra from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to Whitman County, Washington, on Nov. 18. It was issued on Dec. 5.

It's not clear why the title was changed.

remember, we can lawyer and try this case here all we want, but when you get in front of 12 jurors, who knows. the random 12 in any case won’t ever be confused with our best and brightest. do people even consider evidence or do they just say he looks guilty half the time? obviously, i am a skeptic of what is really deliberated. if it makes it to trial, i don’t think this guy has a chance….no matter the evidence or lack there of.

Interesting - Students aren't required to change registration of their vehicles unless they also change residency and becoming a resident of Washington is much harder than other states for college students. I know, I tried that angle with my oldest.....

Bryan Christopher Kohberger, who is accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students, changed the title of his car five days after the murder.

Records show that he applied to transfer the title of his white 2015 Hyundai Elantra from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to Whitman County, Washington, on Nov. 18. It was issued on Dec. 5.

In the affidavit it said his registration was going to expire on November 30. He registered it in Washington on November 22. Could be total coincidence, but the fact that they were looking for a white elantra was already in the news at that point.

remember, we can lawyer and try this case here all we want, but when you get in front of 12 jurors, who knows. the random 12 in any case won’t ever be confused with our best and brightest. do people even consider evidence or do they just say he looks guilty half the time? obviously, i am a skeptic of what is really deliberated. if it makes it to trial, i don’t think this guy has a chance….no matter the evidence or lack there of.
I always tell clients that are considering a settlement versus trial that in one case I did, we settled for $6.5 million after the trial was done but before it went to the jury. We were able to talk to the jurors afterward, and they said we were going to win on all of our claims, but they weren't going to award as much as we were asking for because the judge was mean to the attorney on the other side, who they really liked.

Juries are a crapshoot. You never know what they're going to latch onto and what they're going to ignore.

I always tell clients that are considering a settlement versus trial that in one case I did, we settled for $6.5 million after the trial was done but before it went to the jury. We were able to talk to the jurors afterward, and they said we were going to win on all of our claims, but they weren't going to award as much as we were asking for because the judge was mean to the attorney on the other side, who they really liked.

Juries are a crapshoot. You never know what they're going to latch onto and what they're going to ignore.
I was on a federal jury and I really thought we were going to wind up being a hung jury because of two other jurists who couldn't get past some really odd things. One was the defendant's age, and that the defense kept calling him Jimmy vs Jim, made him seem like a kid.
The other was that all of the evidence was from undercover feds so it had to be entrapment. We were able to get them through but it was surprising to me that these were the hang-ups.

In the affidavit it said his registration was going to expire on November 30. He registered it in Washington on November 22. Could be total coincidence, but the fact that they were looking for a white elantra was already in the news at that point.

The information about the White Elantra wasn't released to the public until December 7. Released to law enforcement before that, but not the public.

@Zow wants you on his juries.
"Members of the jury, let me remind you that nobody actually saw my client stab the victims - therefore, you MUST vote to acquit, it is your constitutional DUTY"

:lol:

By the way, I know shady is just playing devil's advocate, so I don't want it to be taken that I am making fun of him or anything. I used the "want you on Woz's jury" line because that's what Woz always posts in similar situations.

The information about the White Elantra wasn't released to the public until December 7. Released to law enforcement before that, but not the public.
Thanks. For some reason I thought that came out on November 19.

All this evidence (and likely more we haven't seen) came before they had his car, his phone, his computer, etc. Before they had executed search warrants on his apartment and office and car. Hopefully those will be treasure troves of additional evidence as well.

Last edited:
Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

No death penalty in Washington state.

Unless this is what he wanted....

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?
Driving from the crime scene in his own car seems stupid in retrospect. Guess he didn't account for security cameras
The knife sheath seems like a mistake that he didn't retrieve that but other than that, the scene sounds pretty clean for him? They must have more, right?

All this evidence came before they had his car, his phone, his computer, etc. Before they had executed search warrants on his apartment and office and car. Hopefully those will be treasure troves of additional evidence as well.
Gotta hope they get some good stuff from the computer

Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

No death penalty in Washington state.

Unless this is what he wanted....

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?
Driving from the crime scene in his own car seems stupid in retrospect. Guess he didn't account for security cameras
The knife sheath seems like a mistake that he didn't retrieve that but other than that, the scene sounds pretty clean for him? They must have more, right?

There's a latent footprint too according to the FBI gal linked in here.

We got a Ring cam for Xmas from my In-Laws. Probably the last house on the block to install one. I am surprised how well that little thing captures the comings and goings of the neighborhood. This dumdum didn't consider that?

Yes

KRenner
@KRenner2
·
2h

Replying to
@tracy_walder
Any ideas why the eight hour discrepancy from the time the roommate saw the masked intruder to the time police were called?

View attachment 3335

Tracy Walder
@tracy_walder
·
2h

Replying to
@KRenner2
This is what’s most puzzling to me. However, this was a party house and she could have been used to unknowns coming in and out and locked her door and went back to sleep
Wearing masks?
Tracy Walder

@tracy_walder
·
2h

Replying to
@cheesenrice_
I lived my best party life in college and the amount of strange that came in and out of the residence was no joke. However, I do think she was either in shock, confused, scared or all t. I think she is going to take a lot of heat for this and live with this the rest of her life

I lived in the frat/party house at LB St for a year. People come and go all the time. Tracy (above tweet) was a DG at USC.

Weren't they at a party that night at Sigma Chi? They could have been drunk sleeping and woken up in a daze. And like Moops said, people wear masks all the time these days.

Wearing masks?
:shrug:

Maybe it was a surgical mask and not so out of the ordinary, even in rural ID, to see people take covid precautions?
Probably not common in Idaho but certainly not as alarming like if he had a full ski mask on. I could see maybe being a little confused if you saw a guy walking out with just a covid mask on.

Im shocked that he didn't make a move to try and do something to Dylan though.

Either way she wouldn't have prevented the murders, yeah they catch the guy sooner but it's not like her failure to call right away, ended up mattering, luckily.

Users who are viewing this thread