What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

University of Idaho college student murders - suspect arrested (1 Viewer)

Wearing masks?
:shrug:

Maybe it was a surgical mask and not so out of the ordinary, even in rural ID, to see people take covid precautions?
People literally moved to Idaho for the sole purpose of not taking covid precautions.
This is a college town. Still rural Idaho so definitely way fewer masks being worn, but I am just throwing out an idea that maybe seeing someone in a mask isn't as crazy as some of y'all making it out to be

Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

No death penalty in Washington state.

Unless this is what he wanted....

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?
Driving from the crime scene in his own car seems stupid in retrospect. Guess he didn't account for security cameras
The knife sheath seems like a mistake that he didn't retrieve that but other than that, the scene sounds pretty clean for him? They must have more, right?

There's a latent footprint too according to the FBI gal linked in here.

We got a Ring cam for Xmas from my In-Laws. Probably the last house on the block to install one. I am surprised how well that little thing captures the comings and goings of the neighborhood. This dumdum didn't consider that?
Yeah, was just about to add that (from the PDF page 6/labeled as page 5 on the scanned document):

During the processing of the crime scene, investigators found a latent shoe print. This was located during the second processing of the crime scene by the ISP Forensic Team by first using a presumptive blood test and then Amino Black, a protein stain that detects the presence of cellular material. The detected shoe print showed a diamond-shaped pattern (similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole) just outside the door of D.M.'s bedroom (located on second floor). This is consistent with D.M.'s statement regarding the suspect's path of travel.

Have we seen any of the video footage? Is the suspect rocking Vans?

Yeah, was just about to add that (from the PDF page 6/labeled as page 5 on the scanned document):

During the processing of the crime scene, investigators found a latent shoe print. This was located during the second processing of the crime scene by the ISP Forensic Team by first using a presumptive blood test and then Amino Black, a protein stain that detects the presence of cellular material. The detected shoe print showed a diamond-shaped pattern (similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole) just outside the door of D.M.'s bedroom (located on second floor). This is consistent with D.M.'s statement regarding the suspect's path of travel.

Well, he's been in jail or prison gear every time we've seen him. I'm sure the post-arrest additional searches (his apartment, office and car, and his parents house) will be looking for those, among other things.

The fact that his car was in a particular remote area near the Snake River both earlier that day and in the afternoon after the murders makes me think that was a dump spot for clothing and such. I'm sure they've been searched, but that's a big river...

Last edited:
Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?
Driving from the crime scene in his own car seems stupid in retrospect. Guess he didn't account for security cameras
The knife sheath seems like a mistake that he didn't retrieve that but other than that, the scene sounds pretty clean for him? They must have more, right?

We got a Ring cam for Xmas from my In-Laws. Probably the last house on the block to install one. I am surprised how well that little thing captures the comings and goings of the neighborhood. This dumdum didn't consider that?

As a VF employee, I'm pretty sure Van's won't be using this in their marketing plan...........

I found this

Wearing masks?

Maybe it was a surgical mask and not so out of the ordinary, even in rural ID, to see people take covid precautions?

Can't remember if it was Idaho or Montana where somebody "Bahhhhhhhhh'd" at me like a sheep when I was buying beer at a gas station with a mask on in the summer of 2020 but regardless, it's an interesting region of our country to be certain.

Wearing masks?

Probably not common in Idaho but certainly not as alarming like if he had a full ski mask on. I could see maybe being a little confused if you saw a guy walking out with just a covid mask on.

Im shocked that he didn't make a move to try and do something to Dylan though.

Likely exhausted and knew he needed to make a quick exit. Probably why he left the sheath behind.

Wearing masks?

People literally moved to Idaho for the sole purpose of not taking covid precautions.
This is a college town. Still rural Idaho so definitely way fewer masks being worn, but I am just throwing out an idea that maybe seeing someone in a mask isn't as crazy as some of y'all making it out to be

I'm with you. Also, having had the pleasure of being in Moscow/Pullman in Dec, it's flipping cold and windy. A face mask to shield the cold isn't absurd either. There are nights I was there that I wished I would have had one and not at 4am either. Like, noon.

Wearing masks?

Can't remember if it was Idaho or Montana where somebody "Bahhhhhhhhh'd" at me like a sheep when I was buying beer at a gas station with a mask on in the summer of 2020 but regardless, it's an interesting region of our country to be certain.
I was in Moscow this past summer. Good friend of mine just retired from teaching at the university. Super good dude, big hippy, always complained about the town itself though. It is real pretty, but indeed "interesting"

This guy really murdered 4 people with a knife in like 5 minutes? Without sustaining any injuries himself?

We don't know if he sustained an injury or not. He had time to heal up anything superficial. Hell, I cut myself so bad on Thanksgiving putting a knife back in a knife block that my wife wanted me to go to Urgent Care. I wrapped it with gauze, Gorilla Tape and finished up my turkey like a boss. By Xmas, there was no trace of a wound.

Wearing masks?

I was in Moscow this past summer. Good friend of mine just retired from teaching at the university. Super good dude, big hippy, always complained about the town itself though. It is real pretty, but indeed "interesting"

Where did you fly into? Spokane? That's quite the drive and that's about as close as you're going to get by jet plane.

This guy really murdered 4 people with a knife in like 5 minutes? Without sustaining any injuries himself?
I'm sure we'll find out, but it was the middle of the night so assuming each one was asleep with the first stab isn't a leap.
Sounds like Xana had just gotten food delivery. They must have been awake. I feel like there is a lot we still dont know

They also said Xana was on TikTok at 4:12 a.m. Unfortunately, I think she was awake when attacked, by virtue of that and also the fact it was from her room that the witness also heard the crying and a male voice saying something like, "It's OK, I'm going to help you" the second time she opened her door. Likely the two on the third floor were killed first, then down the stairs to kill Ethan and Xana, then out the sliding door on that floor. Speeding away by 4:20 a.m.

They also said Xana was on TikTok at 4:12 a.m. Unfortunately, I think she was awake when attacked, by virtue of that and also the fact it was from her room that the witness also heard the crying and a male voice saying something like, "It's OK, I'm going to help you" the second time she opened her door. Likely the two on the third floor were killed first, then down the stairs to kill Ethan and Xana, then out the sliding door on that floor. Speeding away by 4:20 a.m.

Ugh, I just had an awful thought. The roommate said she heard the male say something like, "It's OK, I'm going to help you." When I first read that, I figured Xana was the one crying because Ethan was already attacked/dead, and the killer was luring her into thinking she was OK. But maybe he said, "I'm going to kill you" instead of "help you."

Ugh, I just had an awful thought. The roommate said she heard the male say something like, "It's OK, I'm going to help you." When I first read that, I figured Xana was the one crying because Ethan was already attacked/dead, and the killer was luring her into thinking she was OK. But maybe he said, "I'm going to kill you" instead of "help you."

I wonder if she can decipher the voice of Ethan and the killer? Can that be used in the trial?

I have a very disturbing story from college where voice recognition helped identify a rapist. Ugh.

I wonder if she can decipher the voice of Ethan and the killer? Can that be used in the trial?

I have a very disturbing story from college where voice recognition helped identify a rapist. Ugh.
I wonder if an Alexa-enabled device (or an iPhone with listen mode) might have a record. :tinfoilhat: I mean, we know they listen. They're not *supposed* to be recording and sending data back to Amazon/Apple, but....

Lots of possibilities as to why the roommate didn't call police or investigate at the time, and lots of possibilities as to why she was spared (including she might not have been seen). I don't understand the relevance of any of it to the identity of the killer?
None, I guess. It's just weird that we hadn't heard anything about that by now, not even a leak/rumor.

It doesn't seem completely far-fetched, and it would explain how odd both of those stops were. "License and registration" is pretty much automatic. Neither one asked for registration, although one did ask if it was his car. I've also never even heard of someone getting pulled over for tailgating. Twice in one day? I can believe that something else was going on.

Fox is reporting it as fact, saying they have a law enforcement source that the FBI directed the stops. Of course, it's Fox and an anonymous source, so who knows.
I have never heard of a situation like this before. The FBI had a single cop approach a car with two men in it, one of whom they think killed 4 people....twice?
He's a sneaky, home intrusion killer. I wouldn't expect the cop to be in danger from him or his father. But two different agencies pulling him over within minutes for the same BS infraction must have struck him as a rather suspicious coincidence. He should have known they were on to him at that point.

The dangerous situation you wondered about actually happened a couple years ago. The suspect was a meth dealer who previously told an undercover agent he would kill a cop before going back to prison. The law enforcement agencies then decided to have him pulled over and arrested through a fake traffic stop. But the young cop who made the stop was never informed of the danger involved in the assignment. Multiple agents watched from a safe distance while the young cop was mowed down with a M16.

So, I don't think the cops making these fake stops for the Idaho killer were in danger but it does happen. These agencies are run by average people.

Interesting - Students aren't required to change registration of their vehicles unless they also change residency and becoming a resident of Washington is much harder than other states for college students. I know, I tried that angle with my oldest.....

Bryan Christopher Kohberger, who is accused of fatally stabbing four University of Idaho students, changed the title of his car five days after the murder.

Records show that he applied to transfer the title of his white 2015 Hyundai Elantra from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to Whitman County, Washington, on Nov. 18. It was issued on Dec. 5.

It's not clear why the title was changed.
The motive for the title change doesn't make sense to me. If he was concerned that his license plate may have been caught on camera, wouldn't it still be easy for the authorities to connect the PA plate to his new WA plate?

The cross country drive also doesn't make sense. I'd like to know how he explained that one to his father. Was he planning to leave the car at home? If he was driving back to school, the time and expense incurred by them is so much greater than a round trip plane ticket. I can understand his father's willingness to help with the trip but there had to be some rationale.

FBI is denying that it asked Indiana police to pull him over in statement last night
And Indiana said FBI has no authority to ask them to pull someone over.
I suppose it's possible that they were just pulling him over to see if he looked like a marijuana trafficker. Some highwaymen are aggressive about that and he had WA plates.
The affadavit mentions he was pulled over at least twice in the months before the murder. Maybe he's just a crappy driver?

FBI is denying that it asked Indiana police to pull him over in statement last night
And Indiana said FBI has no authority to ask them to pull someone over.
I suppose it's possible that they were just pulling him over to see if he looked like a marijuana trafficker. Some highwaymen are aggressive about that and he had WA plates.
The affadavit mentions he was pulled over at least twice in the months before the murder. Maybe he's just a crappy driver?
Maybe he is a bad driver but was he ticketed for those previous infractions in the months before the murders? Two warnings in quick succession for a very subjective charge like tailgating seems suspicious to me. I've always been issued tickets when pulled over with out of state plates. It's a great source of revenue for the local jurisdictions. In the body cam video I saw the cop didn't even ask for his documents and then said something like "Well, if you just got pulled over by so and so, then I'll let you go. Drive safe." Didn't even ask to see if he was ticketed. It looked like the cop was fishing for something. The pre-arranged stop idea makes sense to me or looking for drugs while knowing they don't have legitimate justification.

I'm just projecting my own experiences, though. Maybe he was simply pulled over twice and let off without a ticket.

The motive for the title change doesn't make sense to me. If he was concerned that his license plate may have been caught on camera, wouldn't it still be easy for the authorities to connect the PA plate to his new WA plate?

Yeah, it might have nothing to do with anything and be coincidence. Or since PA doesn't require a front license plate and WA does, it might have just seemed like another element of making his car look different by having two plates, if they didn't get a plate number.

I was thinking what a crappy driver he was, too! Not only four times being pulled over between August and December, but the part of not being able to park easily at the murder house and doing some three-point turns and stuff.

remember, we can lawyer and try this case here all we want, but when you get in front of 12 jurors, who knows. the random 12 in any case won’t ever be confused with our best and brightest. do people even consider evidence or do they just say he looks guilty half the time? obviously, i am a skeptic of what is really deliberated. if it makes it to trial, i don’t think this guy has a chance….no matter the evidence or lack there of.
I always tell clients that are considering a settlement versus trial that in one case I did, we settled for $6.5 million after the trial was done but before it went to the jury. We were able to talk to the jurors afterward, and they said we were going to win on all of our claims, but they weren't going to award as much as we were asking for because the judge was mean to the attorney on the other side, who they really liked.

Juries are a crapshoot. You never know what they're going to latch onto and what they're going to ignore.
For criminal trials, I think it can work the other way too.

My mom sat in a jury where the defense attorney was a real tool. The deliberations got drawn out a bit because a few of the jurors were felt like they were treating the defendant unfairly because of his lawyer’s behavior. Eventually they all voted to convict.

After the trial, the jurors had an opportunity to ask questions. Someone actually brought that up and it turns out that that’s the defense attorney’s schtick. He purposefully acts like a jerk in the hopes that jurors will feel guilty for hating him and in return actually go easier on his client. So weird.

Users who are viewing this thread