What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unvaccinated Players - On your Do Not Draft List? (1 Viewer)

The problem is we really don't know for sure most of these guys aren't vaccinated. We are just basing it on their refusal to answer the question. It's possible some of them are vaccinated but legitimately don't want to talk about it. 

The rules have made un-poked players more likely to miss a game or two because of the covid. That's 6%-12% of the season. So what's the difference between one round and the next in a ff draft? I feel like it's more than that. I think half a round is the most you'd rationally want to drop any player if you knew they refused. For instance, even if I knew 100% McCaffrey would miss a game, I'd still take him #1.

The problem is we really don't know for sure most of these guys aren't vaccinated. We are just basing it on their refusal to answer the question. It's possible some of them are vaccinated but legitimately don't want to talk about it. 
Agree.  I'm sure in most instances however that it means they haven't gotten vaccinated.  Otherwise why wouldn't they just be forthcoming?  I'm pretty sure when LeBron says "That's a personal decision between me and my family", that's an indication that he hasn't gotten vaccinated.  There must be some locker room code where players don't talk about it.  It was only after Rizzo was traded that Javy Baez came out and said the team argued with him about his decision.  We really haven't gotten much information from teams due to patient privacy, and all we know is when players are volunteering that they don't intend to get vaccinated.  But kudos to Atlanta, whom we have no concerns about given they are 100%.

This is a fantasy forum and not a political one.  Obviously this is a hot button issue. But I have no idea why Lamar Jackson who has gotten Covid twice wouldn't want to get vaccinated.  I'm hoping if he does choose to get vaccinated, that he'll make it public.

Once the season starts and if players start landing on Covid lists, it will be obvious who is and isn't vaccinated based on how long they are out.  But of course that doesn't help us now in terms of drafting with that in mind.

I think it would be a tiebreaker for me if I considered both players equal.  But I'm not going to shy away from CMC because I think he didn't get the shot.  

True. But several players have made it clear they’re not vaccinated. Beasley, Cousins, and a few others who can be easily avoided in a “tiebreaker” decision (though I wasn’t planning on drafting either of those two anyway) 

The rules have made un-poked players more likely to miss a game or two because of the covid. That's 6%-12% of the season. So what's the difference between one round and the next in a ff draft? I feel like it's more than that. I think half a round is the most you'd rationally want to drop any player if you knew they refused. For instance, even if I knew 100% McCaffrey would miss a game, I'd still take him #1.
I agree with this. 

For a player of that caliber it’s worth the risk.

For a player not of that caliber the choice gets a little trickier. 

greyhorse said:
Agree.  I'm sure in most instances however that it means they haven't gotten vaccinated.  Otherwise why wouldn't they just be forthcoming?  I'm pretty sure when LeBron says "That's a personal decision between me and my family", that's an indication that he hasn't gotten vaccinated.  There must be some locker room code where players don't talk about it.  It was only after Rizzo was traded that Javy Baez came out and said the team argued with him about his decision.  We really haven't gotten much information from teams due to patient privacy, and all we know is when players are volunteering that they don't intend to get vaccinated.  But kudos to Atlanta, whom we have no concerns about given they are 100%.
Like you said there could be locker room politics involved where a player just doesn’t want to talk about it. Also maybe the player reluctantly got it and doesn’t want to sound like he’s endorsing it for others. Some players just don’t like talking to media period and aren’t willing to give them anything.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
True. But several players have made it clear they’re not vaccinated. Beasley, Cousins, and a few others who can be easily avoided in a “tiebreaker” decision (though I wasn’t planning on drafting either of those two anyway) 
Beasley and Do you like that Cousins are just not my favorite people, from a player perspective and just their image in the media, so I'm never going to draft them in any case.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I agree with this. 

For a player of that caliber it’s worth the risk.

For a player not of that caliber the choice gets a little trickier. 
Yes.  CMC and Hopkins - still will draft.  Beasley and Cousins - no effin way.

Yes.  CMC and Hopkins - still will draft. 
Right - those guys you can build in a missed game or two and their value is relatively unchanged. More marginal players (or like you, guys I don’t wanna root for) become easier decisions because of this.  

Yeah I'm not following the 'I don't like this guy' angle to this. Player doesn't cave to pressure, holds to his beliefs despite the obstacles, now you won't draft him...

Yeah I'm not following the 'I don't like this guy' angle to this. Player doesn't cave to pressure, holds to his beliefs despite the obstacles, now you won't draft him...
I don’t think that was a correlation. 

COVID/vaccinations aside I just try not to draft players I don’t like. 

Pretty sure that was a separate point, like he didn’t like them anyway so they’re DND for him.

I know some folks don’t care. I’m not saying I love Tyreek Hill, but I’d definitely draft him. We don’t have to go bowling together. :shrug:  

I am unlikely to avoid any player over this and we don't have accurate info anyway but I would say it has nothing to do with a person sticking to their beliefs and just the facts that they are more likely to miss a game due to COVID. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I don’t think that was a correlation. 

COVID/vaccinations aside I just try not to draft players I don’t like. 

Pretty sure that was a separate point, like he didn’t like them anyway so they’re DND for him.

I know some folks don’t care. I’m not saying I love Tyreek Hill, but I’d definitely draft him. We don’t have to go bowling together. :shrug:  
Exactly.  I just have never ever liked Kirk Cousins.  Didn't like him when he was in Washington and his Do you like that comment.  Perpetually overrated and no idea how he got all that guaranteed money.  

I've never owned Beasley, never felt any desire to have him.  Always thought he was a poor man's Wes Welker.  But my dislike for him did indeed rise after his vaccine comments.

It's not to say I won't own players I don't like rooting for - Zeke is probably my best example - but the talent has to outweigh the other factors.  In Zeke's case, it obviously does.  If they're marginal talents and I don't like rooting for them, then why even bother owning them?

Back to the purpose of this thread...I separate the politics from fantasy football.  If you're not vaccinated, you have a higher risk to contract Covid, and that means a higher risk for more missed games.  If you aren't vaccinated and you are deemed a close contact of Covid, then you're going to miss more time than somebody who was vaccinated.  That's the only concern from my fantasy perspective.  I don't care who they vote for, what their personal or political beliefs are, because I'm never going to meet this people and have to share a meal with them.

I’m guessing that the next vaccinated person who answers the question are you vaccinated with a vague non answer will be the first. 

I’m guessing that the next vaccinated person who answers the question are you vaccinated with a vague non answer will be the first. 
Not sure why you think that. Not everyone who gets the vaccine wants to be painted as endorsing it. Not everyone trusts the media either. You also may have to be balancing a divided locker room. You might have decided to get it but don't want to put it out for public consumption and give the media fuel to try and shame your teammates who haven't. I think you are really oversimplifying it. 

Not sure why you think that. Not everyone who gets the vaccine wants to be painted as endorsing it. Not everyone trusts the media either. You also may have to be balancing a divided locker room. You might have decided to get it but don't want to put it out for public consumption and give the media fuel to try and shame your teammates who haven't. I think you are really oversimplifying it. 
You could be right although hiding it publicly is not a tactic that makes sense to me. 

92% of players were reportedly vaccinated 4 days ago. 
Any other qbs that we know of that aren’t besides Cousins and Lamar?

It's not "I don't like this guy" due to his stance or beliefs. It's 100% for me I don't like this guys chances of being on the field every week due to an encounter with someone infected

Yes, I am looking to see if I can get info on vaccinated QBs because as a singleton position I want a Plan B in case of last minute contact tracing and quarantining. I'd rather stash on my bench a Steady-Eddy, boring QB who I know is vaccinated and is going to be available than leave a chance at taking a 0. Waivers run Sat night at RTS and Sunday am for FFPC. I didn't spend a few hundred bucks a team to take a 0 for the week because they get pulled right before the game and I'm left with no one

Yes, I am looking to see if I can get info on vaccinated QBs because as a singleton position I want a Plan B in case of last minute contact tracing and quarantining. I'd rather stash on my bench a Steady-Eddy, boring QB who I know is vaccinated and is going to be available than leave a chance at taking a 0. Waivers run Sat night at RTS and Sunday am for FFPC. I didn't spend a few hundred bucks a team to take a 0 for the week because they get pulled right before the game and I'm left with no one
Not to mention a qb missing a game hurts his skill players too. Is Josh Allen vaxxed?

It’s a little bit misleading since it seem like Atlanta is 100% vaccinated, while the team like the Vikings was something like 65%.

I expect that the more issues crop up with the more teams, the pressure will build on players to get the poke. 

With today's reveal that Cam was getting tested daily....this indicates he is unvaxxed.  I'm avoiding.  But I'm avoiding because it seems like this guy always has some issue.  The Hood looking for reasons to start the rook.  Cam could be good late round value to start the season if you want to push your chips in on a Lance or Fields.  But otherwise in 1 QB leagues, no reason to have to worry about this constant headache.

With today's reveal that Cam was getting tested daily....this indicates he is unvaxxed.  I'm avoiding.  But I'm avoiding because it seems like this guy always has some issue.  The Hood looking for reasons to start the rook.  Cam could be good late round value to start the season if you want to push your chips in on a Lance or Fields.  But otherwise in 1 QB leagues, no reason to have to worry about this constant headache.
If you have Cam as your starter in a 1 QB redraft league, you are doing this game wrong. I usually don't say that, because circumstance is everything, but there you go. Just wrong. If you have him in a 1 QB dynasty like I do, it's time to seriously think about cutting bait this year for -- never mind a late-round draft pick -- a roster spot. 

If you have Cam as your starter in a 1 QB redraft league, you are doing this game wrong. I usually don't say that, because circumstance is everything, but there you go. Just wrong. If you have him in a 1 QB dynasty like I do, it's time to seriously think about cutting bait this year for -- never mind a late-round draft pick -- a roster spot. 
I was responding to the question of which other QBs are not vaccinated.  In my 14 team 1 QB league, most people are holding 2 QBs.  So it's conceivable that he is rostered in some leagues.  I'm guessing in 2 QB and superflex, pretty much any warm body is rostered.  But in Yahoo, it's only showing 13%.  I still wouldn't want Cam because of all the questions and I just find him unlikable.  

I was responding to the question of which other QBs are not vaccinated.  In my 14 team 1 QB league, most people are holding 2 QBs.  So it's conceivable that he is rostered in some leagues.  I'm guessing in 2 QB and superflex, pretty much any warm body is rostered.  But in Yahoo, it's only showing 13%.  I still wouldn't want Cam because of all the questions and I just find him unlikable.  

Oh, yeah. Most people will hold 2 QBs. I'm saying specifically if he's a starter in a 1 QB league. I can't think of a circumstance that would get a drafter off the hook if that were the case. In two QB or SF, Cam is absolutely a consideration. He's also a consideration as a back-up in 1 QB leagues. 

I've always liked Cam. I think his stance on vaccines is something I won't get into. 

Its pretty clear that the vaccinated can get covid so while the risk may be greater for the unvaccinated, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of missed games for those that are. 

IHEARTFF said:

IHEARTFF said:
Not to mention a qb missing a game hurts his skill players too. Is Josh Allen vaxxed?

JamieMurphy said:

greyhorse said:
I have been assuming all along that even the most vocal vax opponents in the NFL would eventually cave because the pressure will be too much. I am not clear whether that is going to be the case with these QBs above or not. There *are* ways to know if they aren't vaxxed, based on their public behavior. Like Cam Newton with the story of his testing today. Or Cousins not wearing a mask - it isn't an indicator unless the NFL fines him, and then it is. I think we are pretty clear that he doesn't want to get the shot and yet he was at his PC without a mask - that is supposed to be a finable offense, no? Or do I have that wrong? Either way *maybe* we can come up with a reliable list, but I am betting most of these guys get it done. I am largely ignoring for RBs WRs and TEs.

But at the QB position there is not a lot of room to be wrong on this. I have a bunch of early offseason redraft shares of Lamar but don't feel very good about it (not just because their WR room is decimated). I am probably avoiding him from here on out (at least partly because I already have so many of him). Cousins, Wentz and Cam aren't guys I've been going after anyway but Josh Allen is another one that makes me nervous. Two weeks out of commission is a lot worse than a couple days, but if it is a late scratch I'm not sure I care.

xenon said:
Its pretty clear that the vaccinated can get covid so while the risk may be greater for the unvaccinated, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of missed games for those that are. 
Absolutely. If it is a late scratch it doesn't matter if he is only sitting out 2 days. He is out. 2 weeks *is* worse, though. A potential forfeit *is* worse.

Absolutely. If it is a late scratch it doesn't matter if he is only sitting out 2 days. He is out. 2 weeks *is* worse, though. A potential forfeit *is* worse.
Exactly. A missed start isn't as bad as a forfeit or a 2-week absence. 

I agree with your prior post. As things develop & a team actually does face consequences like a forfeit, the pressure will absolutely mount on the unvaccinated to get vaccinated. 

And not for nothing, Pfizer was just fully approved by the FDA, an oft-cited reason for resisting the poke. Not intending to start a whole debate about this, just a point of fact  

But at the QB position there is not a lot of room to be wrong on this. I have a bunch of early offseason redraft shares of Lamar but don't feel very good about it (not just because their WR room is decimated). I am probably avoiding him from here on out (at least partly because I already have so many of him). Cousins, Wentz and Cam aren't guys I've been going after anyway but Josh Allen is another one that makes me nervous. Two weeks out of commission is a lot worse than a couple days, but if it is a late scratch I'm not sure I care.
I hear you.  But as I said up above, the talent has to be worth it to make up for putting up with the potential headache.

A guy like Cousins?  I couldn't care less about him.  If he were to stop playing today I wouldn't miss him.  Cam?  Same.  Wentz?  Meh.  New team.  Injury.  I'm not interested.

But it would be hard to pass on Josh Allen or Lamar if they were staring at me when it was my turn to pick and decided I wanted a QB.  I wouldn't let their vaccination status influence me, because these guys are top 4 QBs.  What if Mahomes (who already said he was vaxxed because for the safety of his baby) and Kyler (who knows) are not vaccinated?  I still would draft them.

Same line of thinking would have be drafting CMC, even though there are reports that suggest he's not vaccinated.

Our league has Covid IR spots.  I'd encourage yours to add one if you didn't already have it last year.  Yes, it would suck to lose Josh Allen for two games if he were to get sick.  But at least having the extra free space allows you to pick up a replacement like Fitz or Tua to hold you over.

Not a single player in the SI article is verifiably unvaccinated. They are just players suspected of being unvaccinated. FDA fully approved Pfizer today

Yep. This is how it’s gonna go down for the unvaccinated. 

And definitely gives me pause about taking any of the unvaccinated players.

unfortunately, unless they’re super outspoken about it we won’t know. 
What sucks is that it’s likely that beat reporters for each time probably DO know for the most part. Players that are not vaccinated have different rules right now than vaccinated players. Things like wearing masks when other guys don’t have to, being in weight rooms with fewer guys, etc. So reporters probably have a pretty good idea of who is vaccinated and who isn’t, but clearly are falling in line with the league/teams and not reporting on it so that teams don’t cut off their access in general.

Didn't realize Gabe wasn't vaccinated either. May end up bumping up Sanders a tad. Seems like a reasonable chance Beasley/Davis miss a game or two.  
All it takes is a close contact. 

Even (and especially) away from the facility. Neighbors, friends, hotel guest, relatives, etc.

it’s not at all hard to be a contact. 

All it takes is a close contact. 

Even (and especially) away from the facility. Neighbors, friends, hotel guest, relatives, etc.

it’s not at all hard to be a contact. 
It is such a gigantic risk and with the career status and $$ involved I am blown away the league hasn't reached close to 100% on this. But yeah now that the full FDA approval has occurred for Pfizer maybe these guys will get the clue. You would think after the S show that was 2020 that teams would be intense about compliance. 

Did people not notice the introduction of the idea of a forfeit into the rules? That aught to be like a sledgehammer upside the head to most clubs and players. Or the 85% roster compliance req.

But I more or less agree that I am not fading premier players because of what I *think* their vax status is. It gives me pause and may be a tiebreaker for lower tier guys but as much as I talked about fading Lamar in my post up above, I think I have more reservations there because of his WR room and because I already hold a lot. Not because of the shot.

It is such a gigantic risk and with the career status and $$ involved I am blown away the league hasn't reached close to 100% on this. But yeah now that the full FDA approval has occurred for Pfizer maybe these guys will get the clue. You would think after the S show that was 2020 that teams would be intense about compliance. 

Did people not notice the introduction of the idea of a forfeit into the rules? That aught to be like a sledgehammer upside the head to most clubs and players. Or the 85% roster compliance req.

I expect that if a team is ~80% vaxxed, and they have to forfeit a game due to the 20%, whatever the NFL locker room equivalent to a "blanket party" is will happen. Because it's going to cost a whole bunch of guys a whole lot of money, in addition to losing them a game - which in the NFL could be the difference between a competitor & an also-ran/wasted season. 

But I more or less agree that I am not fading premier players because of what I *think* their vax status is. It gives me pause and may be a tiebreaker for lower tier guys but as much as I talked about fading Lamar in my post up above, I think I have more reservations there because of his WR room and because I already hold a lot. Not because of the shot.

Agree with this as well. I would still take LJax at his current ADP (in mocks he keeps falling to me in the 6th round) because he still has them legs. But his status definitely raises an eyebrow for me. 

xenon said:
No one is arguing otherwise.  It's not even about the disease for me, it's about the protocols.  ####### Cam is a perfect example.  If he had been poked he wouldn't even have been subject to the onboarding protocol when he came back.  Now he's missing 5 days.  So now a possibly perfectly healthy Cam is missing time that was completely avoidable.

No one is arguing otherwise.  It's not even about the disease for me, it's about the protocols.  ####### Cam is a perfect example.  If he had been poked he wouldn't even have been subject to the onboarding protocol when he came back.  Now he's missing 5 days.  So now a possibly perfectly healthy Cam is missing time that was completely avoidable.
Yep. That's 💯 where I’m at.

Lots of possibilities in life. I owned a FBB player who got pinkeye & missed a bunch of games.

Why add to the list of possible reasons by no getting vaccinated? 

xenon said:
while technically true, vaccinated are about 75% LESS likely to catch it given similar exposure. That's a significant reduction in risk

I have the 2nd pick in my draft and I just found out that Dalvin Cook is not vaccinated. I actually found out that the Vikings have the lowest vaccination rate in the league. It does have me considering Kamara more now. 

vaxxed players can get covid too, and face the same suspensions or time off, so why is this even an issue or something people would consider?? just draft like you normally would.

vaxxed players can get covid too, and face the same suspensions or time off, so why is this even an issue or something people would consider?? just draft like you normally would.
You've made your views clear, for many of us however, we see an issue here. Some will miss lots of time due to being exposed or even positive and some won't due to being vaccinated and the serious decrease in health issues associated with this. Whether you agree or not, those are the facts here as per the NFL's rules. 

I know you want it to be apple to apple, but it just really isn't. 

This x 1000. For at least some folks, these vaccines are about as effective as Andy Dalton in prime time. Just draft BPA and don't overthink it.

Users who are viewing this thread