What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (5 Viewers)

Any thoughts about playing with a target #9 ought to be taken out to the back pasture and put down. You have to be able to find the ball with this team, because it just isn't going to come to you on the spot. Dike, Pefok, Pepi -- none of them have had much impact and barely touched the ball. At least JF and JS are in the middle of things more often.
The thing is that's effectively what his system requires. While Zardes isn't necessarily a target 9, much of his resurgence in Columbus under GGG was his ability to get the final touch in the box. We just can't get the ball in the box as we can't play out of the back.

This is not GGG fault. If you place him as the coach of a top 5 team he will win. The problem is the players selected to the USMNT they do not seem comfortable with each other, they do not k now what each other's next step will be, they seem disjointed. When you watch other team's play they seem to complement each other, know where they will be on the field, they are like an extension of each other. How do we get that from our boys.

Is there any reason to think we'll score in the WC? Any? Just press us and recover the resulting turnover. Rinse, repeat.

I've been through ever WC since '90 and this is the most despondent I've been going into a WC that I can remember. Much like '90, I'll be surprised if we take any points.

Looking on the bright side, it was better than the Japan match.

I know Chief was kind of joking but honestly with our passing deficiency in the back 6 we should just punt the ball upfield and press, which seems to be our best team quality. We have the skill with CP, Gio, Aaronson, Weston to convert a turnover in to a goal but it's hard to see us scoring much playing back to front.

55 days and counting -- LFG!

But I'm still optimistic - despite these last two matches I still firmly believe this is the best group of talent we've sent to the WC. Maybe GGG is the wrong guy but he's had decent results when it's mattered and he seems to get the team up for bigger matches - nothing bigger than the next 3 he has. If they fall on their face in those 3 then I'm all for replacing him immediately but now that we are here I'm planning to put my homer fandom on and just root like hell that we are shocked by our results (in a good way).

Not a great window for the entire group

US: 1 loss, 1 draw

England: 1 loss, 1 draw (and relegated)

Wales: 2 losses (and relegated)

Iran: 1 win, 1 draw (the win they were completely dominated in, and they scored on one of their few times up the field)

but it's hard to see us scoring much playing back to front.

honestly I think I am more worried about giving the other teams better scoring opportunities when we play it out of the back than our own offense. If we have to resort to Route 1, so be it, at least make the other team work for a goal.

Gifting a goal to an Iran or Wales would be so bad considering they are roughly on equal footing with the US.

Not a great window for the entire group

US: 1 loss, 1 draw

England: 1 loss, 1 draw (and relegated)

Wales: 2 losses (and relegated)

Iran: 1 win, 1 draw (the win they were completely dominated in, and they scored on one of their few times up the field)

If the England of the last 30 minutes against Germany is what they have in November then they win the groups running away. But only if they sit McGuire who has turned to total crap.

but it's hard to see us scoring much playing back to front.

honestly I think I am more worried about giving the other teams better scoring opportunities when we play it out of the back than our own offense. If we have to resort to Route 1, so be it, at least make the other team work for a goal.

Gifting a goal to an Iran or Wales would be so bad considering they are roughly on equal footing with the US.

Yep, the errant passes will kill us against good teams. Long had a horrible giveaway during the first half today.

I know Chief was kind of joking
Yeah, sort of.

The USA has spent the last 30 years trying to replicate a style that exists overseas but doesn't fit the American persona. In our zest for getting guys overseas we have lost the soul that defined USA Soccer when things started getting better in the early 90's.

We have so much talent here now that it is a crime that we can't progress better than this by now. I see more heart in an MLS game than I do from this bunch. At some point MLS and USA Soccer has got to start figuring out a way to keep these kids home to develop some kind of attitude and "give-a-****ness" that doesn't exist right now. Or pick guys that fit that persona.

USA Soccer was at its best when they had grit. They would just come and come and come at you. Get that damn ball downfield and up the other teams ***. Let's see how they respond to THAT.

This is not GGG fault. If you place him as the coach of a top 5 team he will win. The problem is the players selected to the USMNT they do not seem comfortable with each other, they do not k now what each other's next step will be, they seem disjointed. When you watch other team's play they seem to complement each other, know where they will be on the field, they are like an extension of each other. How do we get that from our boys.
If this post was meant to be sarcastic than well done. 👏👏
Otherwise you just laid out exactly what a coach is supposed to do. Select players and put them in a position to use their skill sets to succeed in a defined role. Good coaches will make the sum greater than the parts.
We just watched 180 minutes of what a bad coach does with his parts.

Is there any reason to think we'll score in the WC? Any?

I certainly do not have high hopes.

1) Jesus, who appears to be the likely starter, is not the type of player who "just needs one chance". He flourishes in a system where he gets many looks and the team is on the front foot, neither of which is likely to happen in Qatar

2) For some unknown reason, this group of players is collectively the worst group at set pieces in pretty much modern US soccer history. I don't get it because the components seem to be there for more consistency.

3) Pulisic and Aaronson are going to simply be hacked because every team is going to know we can only attack via our wing players. Stop Pulisic and Aaronson (neither of which are physical enough to prevent a tactic like this), and the vast majority of attacking play will be halted. We better hope the refs are yellow card happy this tournament because if they get their clues from Concacaf, these guys are going to be limping most of the game.

Does the list start and end with Turner?

===============

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle
Berhalter: "There were not many players who performed up to their normal level this camp." #usmnt

Does the list start and end with Turner?

===============

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle
Berhalter: "There were not many players who performed up to their normal level this camp." #usmnt

Berhalter never one to take responsibility for his team's performance.

He is pathetic.

Is there any reason to think we'll score in the WC? Any?

I certainly do not have high hopes.

1) Jesus, who appears to be the likely starter, is not the type of player who "just needs one chance". He flourishes in a system where he gets many looks and the team is on the front foot, neither of which is likely to happen in Qatar

2) For some unknown reason, this group of players is collectively the worst group at set pieces in pretty much modern US soccer history. I don't get it because the components seem to be there for more consistency.

3) Pulisic and Aaronson are going to simply be hacked because every team is going to know we can only attack via our wing players. Stop Pulisic and Aaronson (neither of which are physical enough to prevent a tactic like this), and the vast majority of attacking play will be halted. We better hope the refs are yellow card happy this tournament because if they get their clues from Concacaf, these guys are going to be limping most of the game.

I see #3 as an advantage playing against two Euro sides. You rarely see a lot of the hacking and the game will be played on the pitch. Yes, they will be physical but England will play with a ton of possession and I don’t think Wales will play cynical. We have the talent to press and counter attack. And neither Euro side will give us time on the ball waiting for a mistake I don’t think. Could be a blessing in disguise as it may open lanes that CP, Gio, Musah and Aaronson can run through.

I know Chief was kind of joking
Yeah, sort of.

The USA has spent the last 30 years trying to replicate a style that exists overseas but doesn't fit the American persona. In our zest for getting guys overseas we have lost the soul that defined USA Soccer when things started getting better in the early 90's.

We have so much talent here now that it is a crime that we can't progress better than this by now. I see more heart in an MLS game than I do from this bunch. At some point MLS and USA Soccer has got to start figuring out a way to keep these kids home to develop some kind of attitude and "give-a-****ness" that doesn't exist right now. Or pick guys that fit that persona.

USA Soccer was at its best when they had grit. They would just come and come and come at you. Get that damn ball downfield and up the other teams ***. Let's see how they respond to THAT.
FWIW, I'd argue he hasn't selected all the best US players in MLS in awhile now.

So what little can we hang our hat on?

Possibly our two most important players in Musah and Jedi (certainly unexpected when the cycle started), were both missing. We all know the special and unique skill set Musah brings to the team and the drop off from Jedi to next man up is cavernous.

I also think our two best players in Weston and Pulisic certainly can play SIGNIFICANTLY better. We have seen it before. I feel like Weston has a better chance to get back to his top level than Pulisic does who I still fear will struggle for minutes and confidence.

==========

From an organization stand point, I don't like that many teams in the WC still have warm up games arranged where as we are going in cold. I understand that the short window makes this really really hard but I do hope at the very least they have a closed door scrimmage with another WC team looking for a partner.

My expectations at this point going in are just really low. I will be surprised if we manage 3 points in group play at this point. Anything more will be a bonus.

I don't mind having patience with a coach that needs some time to get a system in place and get his players used to it. But when time has passed and it's become clear that 1) Not everyone fits in the system, 2) The system doesn't utilize some of the best talent and 3) The system can't be changed and thus becomes predictable and easy to defend, then something has to change. His results have been good as a whole, but the trend is going the wrong direction and it feels like we are worse than when we started this just a few short years ago.

I remember watching this core come together the first few times and it was a pleasure to watch them play. Despite not playing together, things had a flow to them and the guys just did what they know how to do. Now, it's all "scripted" and it just looks slow and unnatural. We've gone from being greater than the sum of our parts to the exact opposite and it makes so unenjoyable to watch. I've had so little interest to tune into these games and have turned them off after a little. Reading through this thread shows that I haven't missed anything by doing this. It's sad.

Still excited to see us play a WC match after 8 years, but damn if my enthusiasm hasn't been taken down a peg or 3.

We've had a lot of injuries and guys missing. It has certainly hurt continuity. But this is what some of us have always been worried about re: Greg. Other than a couple of games against Mexico (and we were thoroughly outplayed in at least one of those games) his "system" creates an extremely narrow floor to ceiling range for our play. And the ceiling aint that high.

I'll always value what the guy did from a recruiting standpoint (and there are a couple of big fish still out there like Balogun) but it really just feels like he has absolutely stifled the potential growth of this team.....all so we could grind out results against Honduras and El Salvador and SQUEEZE into the tournament on goal differential. Hell, If Bryan Ruiz was still capable of running a 40 yard dash in under 6 seconds we might be sitting at home.

Admittedly, I wasn't able to watch the whole game but what I did see, especially after the Reyna sub, I am convinced these friendlies were the typical American player mindset of its just a friendly and don't get hurt. If it doesn't matter, Americans loaf.

Japan had more fire for sure but no one expected a complete lackluster US performance. Then today it honestly just looked like going through the motions. I'm not going to blame injuries but with our glass jaw (ankles and hammies) it makes sense to call off the dogs a little. The subs were also obvious that it was just for GGG to have a look or let some guys get a run.

I honestly think in Qatar we will see something completely different. The question will be what do we get game 2 if everyone goes balls out game 1. Depth hasn't been settled, back line is shaky and with unproven depth, will GGG swallow his pride and just try to "out athlete" a team to advance.

I'm not desperate yet but on the other hand, I'm not confident GGG could recognize the moment either.

My biggest issue is, I really hope Reyna isn't really that big of a whiny prima dona that he just walked off the pitch to the locker room. If so, the armband is at least 8 years away.

Miles Robinson aside, we're the same team we've been for the last couple years. Young, prone to uneven performances, good or very good defensively, and less good going forward. All samesies for me.

These two games haven't changed my thinking: almost nothing would surprise me in Qatar. And the fact that the bookmakers haven't moved the odds AT ALL should tell you how much importance to put on these two results.

I honestly think in Qatar we will see something completely different. The question will be what do we get game 2 if everyone goes balls out game 1. Depth hasn't been settled, back line is shaky and with unproven depth, will GGG swallow his pride and just try to "out athlete" a team to advance.
ally hope Reyna isn't really that big of a whiny prima dona that he just walked off the pitch to the locker room. If so, the armband is at least 8 years away.

if we assume England wakes up and plays to their capability, game 2 may not matter. Getting points off of Wales is likely far more important to advancing than anything we do against England.

Ideally we want to go into the Iran game with the ability to advance if we beat them in the last game. It feels like 6 points is very likely to see a team advance since Wales, US and Iran seem relatively evenly matched. The only time 6 points does not advance is when one team loses all 3 games and the other three teams beat each other, leaving one 6 point team out on tie breakers.

That being said, 6 points is going to be a monumental task. I can't emphasize this enough, even if we were playing to our absolute best.

WC Group stage points for the US:

1990: 0
1994: 4
1998: 0
2002: 4
2006: 1
2010: 5 (with VAR in place, this is 7)
2014: 4
2018: :wall:

Note that every time we got at least 4 points, we advanced (in 1994 we got through in 3rd place though as it was a 24 team tournament back then)

My take is save the negativity for if/when we show bad in Qatar. Yes, the last two matches were ugly and if we play close to the way we did then we will finish bottom of the group. But ultimately these two games are meaningless - we only had 2-3 spots at most that were in question and even those we all kind of knew how it was going to go. Let’s enjoy our team being one of 32 and root like hell for them to advance.

4 years ago we'd have taken lackluster, ****ty performances at the World Cup because it'd have been something to build on. I actually much prefer the lackluster performance then seeing us ball out only for a couple of guys get significant injuries that would compromise their availability for Qatar.

We all know this is just a walkthrough for 2026 and while I expect to see our team play hard in November, if we still struggle offensively then it's a learning moment. Get a new coach and get ready for when this young team IS ready. We are the youngest team average age-wise to ever QUALIFY for a World Cup. This is going to be huge experience for these kids and I'm excited to watch it... even if we don't show up in a big way.

Reactions: Ned
My biggest issue is, I really hope Reyna isn't really that big of a whiny prima dona that he just walked off the pitch to the locker room. If so, the armband is at least 8 years away.
I don't see Reyna ever being a captain. Pulisic/McKennie/Adams will share it for the next 8-10 years. By then I think we'll be seeing Slonina as the main fixture on the US side and he'll take the armband for awhile(if he ends up being the monster he's projected to be).

I think Reyna will likely get to wear the band for a friendly or two, maybe a meaningless Nations' League game, but he'll never be the captain of an important tourney unless his attitude changes drastically in the next decade.

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta
Brian Sciaretta
https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

2-0 FT. The U.S. team defeats Paraguay 2-0 to conclude the Revelations Cup. - Good tournament for the U.S. team. Even in the loss against Mexico, the team played well in each game. - In this game, the U.S took its foot off the gas but could have scored several more. 1/3

- Among the U.S. U-20 players in this tournament, McGlynn really shows he's the engine of the midfield. - Paredes is such a big add to this team. He was quiet vs. Mexico, MOTM vs. Paraguay. - Edelman, the captain, is really growing into a big role 2/3

- Varas might be best resuming to look at No. 9 options before the U-20 WC and not give up on moving forward without one. - Brandon Craig fits well into this team. I wonder if he would be a good pairing with Josh Wynder if he moves up from the U-19 team

There were some moments. CP, Swag, Dest moments of usefulness...but way too few. Swag looks off. Dest gave at least 2 balls away right above the top of the box that were obviously crazy dangerous/lethal. CP offered the US at least something for defenses to worry about.

But that wasn't even an A Saudi team, and they bossed a lot of the game too easily.

I think Acosta gave the team better shape on both sides of the ball than ldlt, but didn't offer enough that's needed going forward.

Yedlin. Weirdly good first touch last night, typically erratic second.

I thought Nips did well with his energy, just a touch off this level, especially in the final third. But he and Jesus clearly combined well and might be something to think about as needed late in games.

Makenzie blew his chances. Way too slow deciding what to do.

Speaking of...the entire team- especially defense- was way too slow moving the ball. The switch was on the entire first half and most of the second. They rarely took it. Even just generally shuffling the ball side to side in the back, it was so slow Saudi didn't have to make any adjustments defensively.

I thought Scally was the only guy this window who took advantage of his minutes to show he should be there.

1994 - Colombia
1998 - Captain for Life, 3-6-1, oof
2002 - Portugal, Mexico, Germany
2006 - Italy
2010 - Algeria
2014 - Ghana, Portugal, Belgium

So many epic moments/games -- our team's World Cup highlights video stacks with anyone's, even if they weren't as late in the tournament.

Even in 2006 there was the blood and guts 9-man defense of a draw vs Italy -- the only points the Italians dropped in the tournament.

So there's a great chance we're on the verge of more memories. Good and bad, but memories. Something you'll be able to say "I saw...". Enjoy it! You don't get very many WCs in a lifetime -- I can't believe this is only my 7th. Half my life has gone by since the first.

Even in 2006 there was the blood and guts 9-man defense of a draw vs Italy -- the only points the Italians dropped in the tournament.
I was at that game in Germany. It was suuuuuuuuuper epic. Tears were flowing. The US fans in Kaiserslautern had an epic party that night.

From my buddies that have been to 3 world cups, only the Algeria game was more emotional.

if we assume England wakes up and plays to their capability, game 2 may not matter. Getting points off of Wales is likely far more important to advancing than anything we do against England.
With the English GGG coaching there do we expect this to happen?
At least GGG had the sense to get Brooks out while GS insists on leaving Maguire in the team.

I didn't see the game, but from watching this cycle here are some of my observations:
1) The US needs to learn to serve the ball. Everyone talks about needing a 9, but very few seems to mention we don't consistently serve one for any to score. Maybe the answer is Nate the Great's False 9 formation?
2) CP is the only player that tends to run at people with the ball. He also is the only one trying to dribble all of them. He needs to get the ball of his foot faster (if for nothing else then to stop getting whacked constantly). Inerchanging/passing and moving with a 9 helps item 1.
3) With CP and Reyna wide, we do not have any runners in behind. Both like to cut in and that further crowds the middle. Jedi and Dest can get forward and try to cross, but without them it doesn't work. With Arronson and Weah, there are more runs in behind but you lose the creativity of CP and Reyna. Weah also gets too selfish and likes to shoot from bad angles and doesn't serve.
4) Turner seems to be the safe/solid option in goal. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. He should still be the #1.
5) With Robinson injured who is the best pairing for Zimm at CB?

With the English GGG coaching there do we expect this to happen?
At least GGG had the sense to get Brooks out while GS insists on leaving Maguire in the team.

I didn't see the game, but from watching this cycle here are some of my observations:
1) The US needs to learn to serve the ball. Everyone talks about needing a 9, but very few seems to mention we don't consistently serve one for any to score. Maybe the answer is Nate the Great's False 9 formation?
2) CP is the only player that tends to run at people with the ball. He also is the only one trying to dribble all of them. He needs to get the ball of his foot faster (if for nothing else then to stop getting whacked constantly). Inerchanging/passing and moving with a 9 helps item 1.
3) With CP and Reyna wide, we do not have any runners in behind. Both like to cut in and that further crowds the middle. Jedi and Dest can get forward and try to cross, but without them it doesn't work. With Arronson and Weah, there are more runs in behind but you lose the creativity of CP and Reyna. Weah also gets too selfish and likes to shoot from bad angles and doesn't serve.
4) Turner seems to be the safe/solid option in goal. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. He should still be the #1.
5) With Robinson injured who is the best pairing for Zimm at CB?
1 and 3 are why we look so stagnant. Really the only guy we have that likes to get vertical (and by that I mean play against the backline) is Weah. It's not really a coincidence that much of our best offensive play this year has been with him on the field. As you point out all the other wingers like to go outside in. It essentially funnels all movement to the defense's strength and since we never switch the ball, it's really easy to defend if their defense stays compact. At least Swag tried to play some of the Weah role against SA in the first half, but with our inept back 5, the wingers naturally turn back looking for the ball which makes the defenses ability to stay compressed even easier. We're simply static and don't make runs that destabilize a defense.

I know I continue to harp on it, but at the WC international level where player ability is more or less equal for the teams 10-32, these tactics just don't work if the opposition stays compact. Maybe England will open it up (I mean Southgate seems as inept as GGG), maybe Wales continues to falter, maybe Iran's shape is bad, but if our opposition is well prepared, compact, and disciplined with a modicum of skill, I don't know how we're going to score from the run of play, short of Weah (or maybe Swag) getting behind the defense.

While missing the WC in '18 was bad, I know I felt much worse after '98 and frankly while I don't expect a Harkes episode, there's nothing from our results the past year that say anyone should expect anything different results-wise.

Duny going in studs up against Pulisic

===================

Former MLS and USMNT player Brian Dunseth has warned the US cannot trust captain Christian Pulisic ahead of November's World Cup in Qatar.

The USMNT stumbled in its final preparations for the World Cup after failing to find the target in either of its international friendlies this month with a 0-0 draw against Saudi Arabia and 2-0 defeat to Japan.

Chelsea star Pulisic has been hailed as 'Captain America' for the side and fans will be hoping he can rally the US in Qatar but Dunseth claimed he has been overhyped.

Speaking on his SiriusXM podcast, Week in the Tackle, Dunseth produced a strong and almost certainly controversial take on the Chelsea man.

'You can't trust Pulisic,' Dunseth said on his weekly podcast.

As much as you want to believe in Pulisic, as much as he's been hyped to be the everything that everybody thinks he can be or wants him to be, the reality is he's not.

'He's a really good player but he's, he is a complimentary piece. He is not a focal point and that's what people have to understand.'

Pulisic has not scored since a hat-trick against Panama in a 5-1 CONCACAF World Cup qualification game back in March.

The former Dortmund star failed to push his team past Saudi Arabia in a 0-0 stalemate in Spain on Tuesday.

'Christian Pulisic makes your team better but Christian Pulisic isn't going to be the guy that is the Christian Eriksen of the US men's national team,' Dunseth continued.

'[The guy] that becomes the tempo player, the connecting player, the guy that's going to create something out of nothing, the guy that's going to hit a final pass every single time or is capable of the final pass every single time.'

Users who are viewing this thread