What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Not watching PSV-Ajax but Tillman was pulled at half. From reading comments, he was very bright in the 1h and his stats look fantastic. They made two subs so maybe it was tactical but seems odd. But since the change they've turned the game around to lead 3-2.

Not watching PSV-Ajax but Tillman was pulled at half. From reading comments, he was very bright in the 1h and his stats look fantastic. They made two subs so maybe it was tactical but seems odd. But since the change they've turned the game around to lead 3-2.
Chucky is having himself a day. hat trick now and one blast off the cross bar that was then tapped in by teammate. 5-2 and Ajax headed for the very bottom of the table.....:oldunsure:

Last edited:
Balogun also subbed out at halftime, with Monaco losing 2-0.

I watched the Dortmund first half. Gio had lots of touches but was not overly dangerous. He did not lose possession from what I can remember, lots of simple passes. He almost had an assist very early on a cross and then had one penetrating dribble run where he beat two players but the low cross did not find a Dortmund player.

Not that it changed the outcome, but Turner with a pretty ridiculous blunder on Liverpool's 3rd goal. He's started all games to this point and he's generally been good for a bad team, but given they spent about the same on Vlachodimos, he's always looking over this shoulder so these blunders worry me.

In the world's least followed tournament, the US advanced to the semifinals of the Pan American games with a 2-0 win over Colombia. The US will face the host, Chile, while Brazil faces Mexico on the other side on Wednesday.

No idea the quality that other countries brought but for us, this is essentially a U23 tournament for players not good enough for our Olympic squad. There are a few interesting players but it's entirely made up of guys not in their club's first team or from teams already eliminated in MLS.

Pulisic cramped up during halftime and that led to the sub.
Allegri said Weah also had a knock. Sounded precautionary

crap, not precautionary :(

=====================================================================

Men in Blazers

@MenInBlazers

WEAH SET TO MISS USMNT GAMES
TIM WEAH will be out until after the next international break with a thigh injury, @GoalItalia reports. Would miss Trinidad & Tobago games. Timeframe also leaves Weah questionable for Juve's blockbuster clash with Inter Milan on November 26.

So who do we start at wing against T&T if we assume Pulisic can play either side?

Aaronson would be the safe pick even with his marginal club play.....but I would not mind to see another choice (not Zendejas..)

So who do we start at wing against T&T if we assume Pulisic can play either side?

Aaronson would be the safe pick even with his marginal club play.....but I would not mind to see another choice (not Zendejas..)

Cade!
Cowell's performance seems to have dropped as the season moved on. He began the season as an every game starter but was a sub for much of the last 1/3 of the season.

Cade!
I think Booth has the highest established level of play of the candidates, but not sure if he's fully back to that level, given how recently he returned from injury.

I think there's a very, very long list of people who GGG might consider, including a lot who we'll all be very unhappy with.

Also very possible that he moves Gio back to wing (hopefully temporarily).

Aaronson still seems like the most likely pick though (which is understandable, even if I disagree with it).

Cade!
Cowell's performance seems to have dropped as the season moved on. He began the season as an every game starter but was a sub for much of the last 1/3 of the season.

Well that's a bummer to hear. Kid seems loaded with potential.

What about starting Dest at the wing and someone else at RB? Dest honestly seems like a better fit at winger than fullback anyway, but our starters at winger are so established there is normally no room for him there, except now when we're missing several guys to injury (not just Weah but also Adams which means Reyna is going to play more central).

Cade!
I think Booth has the highest established level of play of the candidates, but not sure if he's fully back to that level, given how recently he returned from injury.

I think there's a very, very long list of people who GGG might consider, including a lot who we'll all be very unhappy with.

Aaronson still seems like the most likely pick though (which is understandable, even if I disagree with it).
Gio is a good guess if Luca, Weston and Musah are all healthy.

Cade!

Gio is a good guess if Luca, Weston and Musah are all healthy.
Could also put Gio on the wing and go with Tillman+Weston+Musah

I seem to remember the Gio on the wing experiment not being a good one.

I also like the idea of Dest up there instead and keep Gio in his natural position.

https://twitter.com/yscentral
Youth Soccer Central
@yscentral

Arsenal have reportedly joined the race for American striker Dino Kipijla..The striker is reportedly expected to go for 5 million pounds as soon as this January

He is in the NYCFC academy. Reportedly Dortmund, Leipzig and Atletico Madrid have inquired, along with now Arsenal.

He holds a Croatian passport (like Pulisic) which allows him to go over early. I think he is 16 or 17...

Youth Soccer Central
@yscentral

Arsenal have reportedly joined the race for American striker Dino Kipijla..The striker is reportedly expected to go for 5 million pounds as soon as this January

He is in the NYCFC academy. Reportedly Dortmund, Leipzig and Atletico Madrid have inquired, along with now Arsenal.

He holds a Croatian passport (like Pulisic) which allows him to go over early. I think he is 16 or 17...

Has he played for the big boy team?

Youth Soccer Central
@yscentral

not to my knowledge. My guess is that he knew last year he was going to leave early and decided not to sign a home grown deal. This may be similar to the discussion we had about Cavan last week in here.

I am just guessing though because I know next to nothing about him.

edit: OK I just looked him up. It looks like he is already in Europe with Dinamo Zagreb after leaving the NYCFC academy earlier this year. It is hard to find a lot of info about him but I think he is with their youth team.

edit: OK I just looked him up. It looks like he is already in Europe with Dinamo Zagreb after leaving the NYCFC academy earlier this year. It is hard to find a lot of info about him but I think he is with their youth team.
I don't think I've ever heard of him. He's a 2007, making him a year younger than the guys playing in the U17 World Cup. He's playing with Zagreb's U17 side.

Key point here. He's most recently played for Croatia at youth levels. He's been in USYNT U16 camps but never played in a game. So I think we want him to move out of Croatia.

Youth Soccer Central
@yscentral

not to my knowledge. My guess is that he knew last year he was going to leave early and decided not to sign a home grown deal. This may be similar to the discussion we had about Cavan last week in here.

I never heard of him, so looked into it a bit. He's 16. Turns 17 in January.

Signed for Dinamo on a trial last spring. Signed for NK Kustosija this summer.

Had RB Salzburg, Leipzig, and ManU trying to make a deal for him in August.

Reportedly ManU still interested, along with Chelsea and the teams mentioned earlier. Arsenal seem to be leading the chase right now.

Played in US youth setups until moving to Croatia(his parents are both Croatian, moved to US for work... moved back to give Dino more opportunities). Played in their U17 team in 2 games since December.

No idea how good he is, but all the reports are calling him a wonderkid. With 2 Croatian parents and a Croatian agent.... might be hard to wrestle him back. I saw one poorly shot YouTube highlight video, so hard to say where his talent is really at. Likely wouldn't matter for 5+ years anyway, but would be fun to keep in mind if we could lure him back to the stars and stripes.

Youth Soccer Central
@yscentral

I never heard of him, so looked into it a bit. He's 16. Turns 17 in January.

Signed for Dinamo on a trial last spring. Signed for NK Kustosija this summer.

Had RB Salzburg, Leipzig, and ManU trying to make a deal for him in August.

Reportedly ManU still interested, along with Chelsea and the teams mentioned earlier. Arsenal seem to be leading the chase right now.

Played in US youth setups until moving to Croatia(his parents are both Croatian, moved to US for work... moved back to give Dino more opportunities). Played in their U17 team in 2 games since December.

No idea how good he is, but all the reports are calling him a wonderkid. With 2 Croatian parents and a Croatian agent.... might be hard to wrestle him back. I saw one poorly shot YouTube highlight video, so hard to say where his talent is really at. Likely wouldn't matter for 5+ years anyway, but would be fun to keep in mind if we could lure him back to the stars and stripes.
Sounds less American than Rossi... Won't hold my breath.

From Goff

USMNT's Nations League quarterfinal away leg vs T&T on Nov. 20 will be played in Port of Spain (not Couva), Concacaf announces.

"19:00/20:00 Trinidad & Tobago vs United States - Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, TRI"

US home leg is Nov 16 in Austin, 8 pm local, 9 ET

From Goff

USMNT's Nations League quarterfinal away leg vs T&T on Nov. 20 will be played in Port of Spain (not Couva), Concacaf announces.

"19:00/20:00 Trinidad & Tobago vs United States - Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain, TRI"

US home leg is Nov 16 in Austin, 8 pm local, 9 ET
So.... no carrying players over the flooded track this time? Not quite as wet and bumpy?

Well this is all sorts of cool. During Apple's major Keynote presentation a VERY unexpected former USMNT player has a significant role in the introduction video (watch the whole thing, it is short)

The best part is the Galaxy joke, which <.1% of the audience will attribute to him talking about the LA Galaxy where as the rest will hear it as a dig against Samsung Galaxy phones :)

I wonder if Wes can play on the wing for the US like he does for Juve.... interesting tactics can be utilized.
Wes is probably the most swiss army knife player we have ever had. I think he has played every position at club level besides keeper and lb over the years.

But I don't think his natural stronger skill sets lend to being a wide player in GGG's system .

I wonder if Wes can play on the wing for the US like he does for Juve.... interesting tactics can be utilized.
Wes is probably the most swiss army knife player we have ever had. I think he has played every position at club level besides keeper and lb over the years.

But I don't think his natural stronger skill sets lend to being a wide player in GGG's system .
Yes, based on GGG's preferred tactics, I agree. Sure he's not got the wheels that Weah has but he can be really lethal when crashing the box on loose balls in the final 3rd. Also really good with his head. I bet he will play nice 1-2s with Gio, allowing Gio to make those turns into space that he's so good at. Plus he switched field better than anyone on the team, which could put Puli into dangerous space on the edge of the box. Finally, ge certainly has enough defensive chops to cover for Dest making a marauding run from the right back spot.

I'd prefer Wes in there over Aaronson based on how they've been playing lately. That opens up a spot at the 8 or the 6 though...

Users who are viewing this thread