What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

I feel he may be one of the most underappreciated players in US history. Look at these stats in arguably the best league in the world.

=========================
@htomufc

Antonee Robinson vs all other LBs in the Premier League this season;

—Chances created from open play (1st)
—Successful crosses (1st)
—Successful crossing % (1st)
—Possession won (1st)
—Duels won (1st)
—Progressive carries (1st)
—Passes into the final third (1st)
—Progressive passes (2nd)

Adams does not dress in the final game. I assume hurt or cautionary......This is not going to be an easy choice for GGG but the 26 man roster helps I guess even if Adams can't play much.

========

Gio did dress today

Celta (LDLT) are now assured of not being relegated

Betis (Johnny) qualified for Europa Conference

One game to go but I don't think anything can change for Betis, up or down in the table.

Last edited:
Going to be a bit difficult to judge this roster until we see how players are used in Copa America AND on the Olympic roster.

This will look just fine if:
  • Shaq and Tim Tillman don't see the field
  • Reynolds, Booth and Paredes get lots of playing time on the Olympic team

It won't look so good if Shaq and Tillman get playing time, and Reynolds, Booth and Paredes don't get a ton of minutes on the Olympic team.

Other than that, the roster mostly picked itself, other than Johnson (whose inclusion should be irrelevant). You could argue for Booth or Paredes over Aaronson, but certainly not an easy call.

Despite only playing half a season, Johnny was nominated as young player of the season for La Liga.
Was I wrong about him? I may have been wrong about him.
I think we all were going off his US performances, which were pretty far below what we hope for. He's looked good at Betis and in recent moments for the US.

But I think he's a bit like Balo in terms of needing the right formation around him to bring out his best... Not sure the US is that for either of them. But hoping I'm wrong.

Despite only playing half a season, Johnny was nominated as young player of the season for La Liga.
Was I wrong about him? I may have been wrong about him.

I was certainly wrong about him.

I never got to see him play in Brazil but when playing for the US it always seemed a whole lot of "meh" to me. Nothing we have not seen a million times before from a bunch of average DM's.

But it is clear the scouts see things differently than I do. Real Betis is no scrub team. They bought Johnny, stuck him immediately into the lineup and he basically never came out. He played 90 minutes consistently, while helping Betis to get to Europe next season.

He got plenty of plaudits during his half season, and relatively recently there was a report out that some of the bigger name teams were sniffing around with a $30m price tag on Johnny.

He is fairly young at 22, but with Adams still not healthy, Johnny is likely to get a massive chance this summer against great competition. We should all get a much better feel for him after the Copa is over.

Last edited:
What Id like to see:

....................GK (Turner)
Weah....... Richards.... Ream...... Jedi
.............. Johnny............. Musah
Gio.................. Swag................CP
......................... Balo
I like the Musah/Johnny pairing since Johnny is more of a stay at home DM, it may allow Musah to use his dribble to progress the ball (which he is far more adroit at compared to progressing via a pass).

GGG has a big decision to make whether to ride Ream one more tournament or use this chance to find a longer term partnership that may get us through WC2026.

What Id like to see:

....................GK (Turner)
Weah....... Richards.... Ream...... Jedi
.............. Johnny............. Musah
Gio.................. Swag................CP
......................... Balo
Yeah, I think this is what we need to see.

I think another very interesting possibility, even though I don't think we'll ever see it, is a 4-1-3-2.

Johnny as a pure DM, line up Gio/Swag/CP in the MF (and I wonder if you put Gio in the middle and Weston on the right) and then both Sarge and Flo up top.

Very attack oriented, but I think we need to be given our players anyway.

Not to pile on but how does Shaq keep making the team?
No idea.

That said, it's a little bit more understandable this time around than other times. Dest is out. I think someone posted that Yedlin is injured. Reynolds is probably the starter on the Olympic team. Not sure what's up with Cannon, but he certainly hasn't had a great last couple of years. Still would have taken him over Shaq, but at least we're not passing up someone really obvious for Shaq...and it does sound like GGG might play someone out of position if an alternative to Scally is needed.

Not to pile on but how does Shaq keep making the team?
No idea.

That said, it's a little bit more understandable this time around than other times. Dest is out. I think someone posted that Yedlin is injured. Reynolds is probably the starter on the Olympic team. Not sure what's up with Cannon, but he certainly hasn't had a great last couple of years. Still would have taken him over Shaq, but at least we're not passing up someone really obvious for Shaq...and it does sound like GGG might play someone out of position if an alternative to Scally is needed.
By all accounts, Shaq playing well... And totally agree- it's one thing to gnash your teeth about him, but then who else gets the call?

I like Scally. Good player both ways, and hopefully still growing in that regard. But if plays, one of Musah/Gio/Weah has to sit and the team loses offensive ability. Again... not that Scally is weak going forward, but he's not any of those three.

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Thiago Motta to Juventus, deal sealed and set to be announced soon — here we go, confirmed!

The manager has informed Bologna of his decision to leave the club after fantastic season, as expected.

Thiago will now sign as new Juventus head coach until June 2027

Copa America will introduce a new pink card.

Each team can use a pink card once a game if they suspect a player has a concussion. The sub will not count against the normal 5 subs nor will it count as one of the three times you are allowed to sub in a game.

If a team uses the card, the opposing team also gets a chance to use a 6th sub if they want and an extra sub window.

Last edited:
Article about Jedi

Gotta wonder what's going through this kid's head these days. He'd surely be on the England team and a strong candidate to start at LB this summer.
I am sure it is a trade off.

Even if what you said is true, it has to be balanced by him already having 41 caps and a WC under his belt by this time which likely never would have occurred if he did not choose the US to represent.

Striker: While not a traditional 9, it would be really hard not to see a prime Dempsey starting over all our current choices.
Hard to argue here. I would also through McBride in as an alternate depending on how you want to play.

Unfortunately all our 9s struggle due to lack of service.

(and late to the party so sorry if this was mentioned in the pages between now and when NR posted)

Striker: While not a traditional 9, it would be really hard not to see a prime Dempsey starting over all our current choices.

Unfortunately all our 9s struggle due to lack of service.
Some of this is very likely due to our wingers.

Pulisic, while more than talented enough to provide service, is a score first type of winger. And while I continue to like what I see of Weah, he appears to be averse to creating goals for what ever reason.

Jerry World is spending what looks like an insane amount of money to prep the field for Copa America. I assume they are doing this as a practice for the WC in 2026

From Bogert

Sources: Brentford finalizing a deal to sign highly rated USYNT GK Julian Eyestone.

Eyestone, 18, came through FC Dallas academy. Starred at Duke University for a season. Now off to England.

highly rated USYNT GK Julian Eyestone
What happened to Slolina?
Gaga played 28 games for Eupen in the Belgium first division this season. The team was horrible so he faced constant shots. If his confidence was not crushed, this should have been excellent development for him.

The team was relegated so I assume he goes back to Chelsea to await the next loan.

Last edited:
highly rated USYNT GK Julian Eyestone
What happened to Slolina?
Eyestone is a 2006 (same age as Kochen) who is 2 years younger than Slonina and Brady. Kochen likely will feature at the CONCACAF U20s but Eyestone (along with 2005 Gavin Beavers who has been an on again off again starter for RSL) have been part of that squad, getting 1 cap each.

Eyestone was odd-man out for the 2006s at the U17 World Cup but everything I've heard is he's a pretty elite prospect and the guys selected are not.

Under the interim coach, Weah has started twice and Swag hasnt gotten off the bench. Not sure what that's about...

CCV and Celtic won the Scottish FA cup today.

Users who are viewing this thread