What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis a better TE prospect than Winslow ? (1 Viewer)

I think Jason would compare Davis in SF to Gates in SD with regard to the receivers. Or, KC with Gonzo. THe TE is the best WR.

I think Jason would compare Davis in SF to Gates in SD with regard to the receivers. Or, KC with Gonzo. THe TE is the best WR.
:goodposting: ... just as Crumpler is the best receiver in ATL, and Heap is [was] the best receiver in BAL.

:yes: Kellen Winslow had all the physical tools, but had an inconsistent time in his final college season and from a maturity standpoint represented a HUGE risk as a top 10 pick. Not so for Vern...
He is such a freak. 33 reps on the bench and people were disappointed. :unsure: He is ahead of Winslow in the psychological and intangible stuff in addition to the crazy measureables. He seems like a good kid, solid, no issues, hard hard worker.

He is behind Winslow as a football player though (measureables aside). TE is one of the toughest positions on the field to learn, and Vernon has been in a simplified system. Despite his strength he is easily knocked off his routes, and he's not much for getting to the right spot. Against Boston College his pass blocking started getting questioned because he was twice run over by blitzing linebackers. Looking at the other TEs in this draft I would rank at least four of them ahead of him as blockers. I also like a couple others ahead of him as receivers (Byrd and Lewis), but that's only because they're more polished right now. Davis is head and shoulders above all TEs for receiving potential, but he's far from a sure thing, and that's what you need with those top 10 picks.
Couple of comments: Ralph Friedgen runs one of the most complicated offenses on college football. He has simplified it the last two years because of QB & OL issues, but in comparison with other Os it's hardly simple.

I agree with you about his commitment to blocking, or going & getting the ball for that matter. I saw him alligator-arm potential catches on a few occasions. He also didn't always run the crispest patterns (though, given the MD QB woes the last two years, the ball wouldn't have gotten there anyway). However, then he'd turn around & have a game like he did against Clemson where he caught everything & ran over Tigers DBs all day long.
:yes: From what I saw of a few Terps games, and what I've heard, he has some "focus" issues. He certainly doesn't seem to suffer from a Winslowesque 10-cent head, but he seemed to go through stretches where he wasn't in the game, dropping balls, running sloppy routes, etc. (between stretches of being nearly unstoppable). I seem to recall hearing that he wasn't the most dedicated player in practice, either. Not saying he isn't an awesome prospect, especially with those measurables, but I wouldn't say there are no concerns about him whatsoever, either.

:yes: Kellen Winslow had all the physical tools, but had an inconsistent time in his final college season and from a maturity standpoint represented a HUGE risk as a top 10 pick. Not so for Vern...
He is such a freak. 33 reps on the bench and people were disappointed. :unsure: He is ahead of Winslow in the psychological and intangible stuff in addition to the crazy measureables. He seems like a good kid, solid, no issues, hard hard worker.

He is behind Winslow as a football player though (measureables aside). TE is one of the toughest positions on the field to learn, and Vernon has been in a simplified system. Despite his strength he is easily knocked off his routes, and he's not much for getting to the right spot. Against Boston College his pass blocking started getting questioned because he was twice run over by blitzing linebackers. Looking at the other TEs in this draft I would rank at least four of them ahead of him as blockers. I also like a couple others ahead of him as receivers (Byrd and Lewis), but that's only because they're more polished right now. Davis is head and shoulders above all TEs for receiving potential, but he's far from a sure thing, and that's what you need with those top 10 picks.
Couple of comments: Ralph Friedgen runs one of the most complicated offenses on college football. He has simplified it the last two years because of QB & OL issues, but in comparison with other Os it's hardly simple.

I agree with you about his commitment to blocking, or going & getting the ball for that matter. I saw him alligator-arm potential catches on a few occasions. He also didn't always run the crispest patterns (though, given the MD QB woes the last two years, the ball wouldn't have gotten there anyway). However, then he'd turn around & have a game like he did against Clemson where he caught everything & ran over Tigers DBs all day long.
:yes: From what I saw of a few Terps games, and what I've heard, he has some "focus" issues. He certainly doesn't seem to suffer from a Winslowesque 10-cent head, but he seemed to go through stretches where he wasn't in the game, dropping balls, running sloppy routes, etc. (between stretches of being nearly unstoppable). I seem to recall hearing that he wasn't the most dedicated player in practice, either. Not saying he isn't an awesome prospect, especially with those measurables, but I wouldn't say there are no concerns about him whatsoever, either.
There are questions about every player and hearing about "occasional" lapses in concentration are not a huge concern for me. What I do know about the guy is that he's 6-3, 250 pounds, powerful, can block, great hands, runs a sub-4.4, is agile and is a very smart guy. Whoever gets this guy is going to be thrilled and instantly be a much better team. The sky is the limit for him and if he is used the right way he'll blow away TE records.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw Vern on the NFL Network...not only is he the physical freak we've been discussing, but he's also really well spoken. He admitted that all his advisors told him NOT to work out at the Combine and he went against their advice because football is "what he does" and had nothing to fear b/c he was confident in his abilities.

Freakish athleticism, a good head on his shoulders, well spoken = top 10 LOCK :thumbup:

jeeez... nice reel. That was a perfectly timed jump between two defenders, and V Davis made a great catch on a pass that resembled a wounded duck. That second catch, where he drags three Clemson defenders out of bounds is also impressive. It looked like the Terrapins snuck a jersey on Ron Artest.

Considering the 9ers offense is every bit as record-settingly bad as its defense, this would not surprise me at all, especially considering Nolan is supposed to be a bit of a Defensive coach, so theoretically he'd be able to do more with less.
:no: :no: :no: The offense going 3 and out a record number of times, turning the ball over all game, and having a horrible TOP differential put the D in a no-win situation.

The D has talent and will be fine. The offense is what needs help.
I think it was mostly the D completely sucking that put the D in a no-win situation. The Niners defense gave up 7.69 yards per passing attempt, worst in the league; only one other team, the Houston Texans (whose defense also sucked), was even over 7 YPA. Yards per passing attempt isn't a time-of-posession stat; it's not like they were getting worn down with lots of plays on defense. The offense was bad, but the defense was #31 out of 32 (Houston) in yards against per play. There is plenty of blame to go around in SF. Start with the ownership.

Considering the 9ers offense is every bit as record-settingly bad as its defense, this would not surprise me at all, especially considering Nolan is supposed to be a bit of a Defensive coach, so theoretically he'd be able to do more with less.
:no: :no: :no: The offense going 3 and out a record number of times, turning the ball over all game, and having a horrible TOP differential put the D in a no-win situation.

I think it was mostly the D completely sucking that put the D in a no-win situation. The Niners defense gave up 7.69 yards per passing attempt, worst in the league; only one other team, the Houston Texans (whose defense also sucked), was even over 7 YPA. Yards per passing attempt isn't a time-of-posession stat; it's not like they were getting worn down with lots of plays on defense. The offense was bad, but the defense was #31 out of 32 (Houston) in yards against per play. There is plenty of blame to go around in SF. Start with the ownership.
This is exactly what I said. Their defense has more talent, I agree, but they were, by the records, every bit as terrible as the offense.The 49ers have had statistically one of the worst offenses of the last 2 years as far back as I bothered to look.

By comparison, I had a funny stat in my last mock draft regarding their pass defense. If you took all of the pass defenses of the past decade and ranked them, the 2005 49ers would be 311th (that's last place).

But, being that the offense is just as bad, but that they have more talent on defense, getting a guy like Vernon Davis for Smith to throw to would definitely be a great move. Especially since he can block.

Last edited:

This is exactly what I said. Their defense has more talent, I agree, but they were, by the records, every bit as terrible as the offense.The 49ers have had statistically one of the worst offenses of the last 2 years as far back as I bothered to look.

By comparison, I had a funny stat in my last mock draft regarding their pass defense. If you took all of the pass defenses of the past decade and ranked them, the 2005 49ers would be 311th (that's last place).

But, being that the offense is just as bad, but that they have more talent on defense, getting a guy like Vernon Davis for Smith to throw to would definitely be a great move. Especially since he can block.
They paid Alex Smith way too much money to not get him more help. A TE is the perfect way to do that and makes a QB's job MUCH easier.

Does Davis own a motorcycle?
Nope, and he doesn't refer to himself as a soldier, he doesn't let his emotion take him out of the game, he doesn't have a father who sticks his nose into his business too much and he isn't subject of a hilarious Bang! cartoon [at least not yet]. :thumbup:

Nope, and he doesn't refer to himself as a soldier, he doesn't let his emotion take him out of the game, he doesn't have a father who sticks his nose into his business too much and he isn't subject of a hilarious Bang! cartoon [at least not yet]. :thumbup:
:lmao: Imagine this interview with a GM: How much stock do you put into test scores? 40 times for OL? Weight for a DL? being in a bang cartoon?

No Postons as his agents? What's this world comin' to?Puttin' you on the spot Jason, since you locked VD in the top 10. Which tean do you beleive will pull the trigger & why?

No Postons as his agents? What's this world comin' to?Puttin' you on the spot Jason, since you locked VD in the top 10. Which tean do you beleive will pull the trigger & why?
Well, in my first mock I had him going to SF at 7...and I'll stick by that, at least until I do Woodrow's Mock 2.0 in the next few days. :thumbup:

I'm still in awe thinking about Davis being as fast as Sinorice Moss - weighing nearly 80 pounds more.

Yards per passing attempt is a testament to the 49ers losing three of their four starting DBs early in the season; it has nothing whatsoever to do with your claim that the D "didn't wear down."To the contrary, these stats affect TOP and "wearing down the D".

The SF offense last year:

*ran the fewest offensive plays in the NFL

*had the lowest 3rd down conv rate (24%)

*had the most 3 and outs in the NFL

*had the 2nd lowest TOP in the NFL (27.18, jets at 26.37)

*the defense was on the field for the most plays in the NFL last year

I guess watching every game I was able to actually see the D get worn down game by game, which is why to me an improvement in the offense from horrible to mediocre would be a huge boost to the defense.

Draft VD and get ready for the talking heads to praise "Nolan's effect on the defense in year two". You'll know what it really was. ;)

Take it fwiw

Yards per passing attempt is a testament to the 49ers losing three of their four starting DBs early in the season; it has nothing whatsoever to do with your claim that the D "didn't wear down."To the contrary, these stats affect TOP and "wearing down the D".

The SF offense last year:

*ran the fewest offensive plays in the NFL

*had the lowest 3rd down conv rate (24%)

*had the most 3 and outs in the NFL

*had the 2nd lowest TOP in the NFL (27.18, jets at 26.37)

*the defense was on the field for the most plays in the NFL last year

I guess watching every game I was able to actually see the D get worn down game by game, which is why to me an improvement in the offense from horrible to mediocre would be a huge boost to the defense.

Draft VD and get ready for the talking heads to praise "Nolan's effect on the defense in year two". You'll know what it really was. ;)

Take it fwiw
You know, bad defenses cause teams to have low time of possession, too. The defense was on the field for the most plays because they couldn't stop anyone.Here is the breakdown by half for defensive stats in 2005:

Code:
YRs  CMP  ATT  PYD  Y/A  FD PTD INT RSH RSHYD YD/RSH FD RSHTD FP2005   196	304	2466	8.11	108	15	5	234	952	4.07	61	8	658.102005   178	271	2151	7.94	97	13	11	252	879	3.49	52	11	592.25
So, in fact, teams had more yards per attempt both passing and rushing, and more first downs against the 49er defense in the first half than the second half in 2005. This may not be due to the defense playing better in the second half, but there's certainly no evidence that the awful stats for the defense came from wearing down late in games. And the fourth-quarter stats have even lower yards per attempt for both passing and rushing. So, the earlier in the game it was, the worse the defense played.

There are questions about every player and hearing about "occasional" lapses in concentration are not a huge concern for me. What I do know about the guy is that he's 6-3, 250 pounds, powerful, can block, great hands, runs a sub-4.4, is agile and is a very smart guy. Whoever gets this guy is going to be thrilled and instantly be a much better team. The sky is the limit for him and if he is used the right way he'll blow away TE records.
The Clemson game everyone is referring to was simply amazing. He went 6-140 and a score and looked much better than his stat line. This season Maryland had very few offensive options, and unsteady QB play (which is a polite way to say it).

Davis is a very special talent, but his value is similar to most players because his success will depend on what his coaches do utilize him/system he is in. Definitely a guy to keep high on your radar come draft day.

I'd just like to know how he masks his steroids so well. What this guy is doing just isn't natural. I don't care how hard he works.

I think Jason would compare Davis in SF to Gates in SD with regard to the receivers.  Or, KC with Gonzo.  THe TE is the best WR.
:goodposting: ... just as Crumpler is the best receiver in ATL, and Heap is [was] the best receiver in BAL.
I think he still is. Mason got more yards than Heap, but Heap got 7 TDs while Mason only got 3. Heap was hurt a bit this season as well.

I can go with you on this. I don't have the breadth of knowledge about college ball & pro porspects that many here do, so my criticisms are sort of in a vacuum. Trust me, I was thrilled to be able to root for Davis as a member of the Terps. I just wanted to pass along some things that I saw that could cause a bit of concern. It may well be that Davis took off less plays, ran fewer sloppy routes, and short-armed less passes than any TE prospect in history - I don't know, because I don't follow other players as closely as I do "mine". And I don't see any of his perceived (from my perspective) problems as being uncorrectable. That having been said, Vernon has made himself a ton of money over the last several days. I'll certainly be pulling for him.

Someone posted this on the Chargers board:

The Chicago Bears have been rumored to be interested in a trade with Detroit to draft him. Heard it on FSN.
It would make sense and I'd like that move for Chicago, but they better wait til draft day to pull that trade since I'm thinking VD could be gone by Detroit's pick.

The Chicago Bears have been rumored to be interested in a trade with Detroit to draft him. Heard it on FSN.
It would make sense and I'd like that move for Chicago, but they better wait til draft day to pull that trade since I'm thinking VD could be gone by Detroit's pick.
Rumor has it the Rear Admirals are already in negotiations. :eek:

I can go with you on this. I don't have the breadth of knowledge about college ball & pro porspects that many here do, so my criticisms are sort of in a vacuum. Trust me, I was thrilled to be able to root for Davis as a member of the Terps. I just wanted to pass along some things that I saw that could cause a bit of concern. It may well be that Davis took off less plays, ran fewer sloppy routes, and short-armed less passes than any TE prospect in history - I don't know, because I don't follow other players as closely as I do "mine". And I don't see any of his perceived (from my perspective) problems as being uncorrectable. That having been said, Vernon has made himself a ton of money over the last several days. I'll certainly be pulling for him.
I know from my experience that the more you pay attention to "your" guys you tend to see more of the bad as well as the good of certain guys, especially the ultra-talented ones.

I know from my experience that the more you pay attention to "your" guys you tend to see more of the bad as well as the good of certain guys, especially the ultra-talented ones.
As poorly executed as it was, that was kinda my point ;)

Please don't turn this into a clique thread.

Please don't turn this into a clique thread.
:kicksrock:

from his maryland bio... he once ran a 10.7 100 m & was the district of columbia high jump champ...

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/m-...s_vernon00.html

High School: A 2003 graduate of Dunbar High School in Washington, D.C. ... a three-year starter who primarily played tight end and safety but also saw time at wide receiver, kick returner, linebacker and defensive end in his tenure ... an outstanding athlete who was clocked at 4.4 in the 40-yard dash, 10.7 in the 100 meters and posted a 39-inch vertical jump as a prep ... caught 21 passes for 511 yards (24.3 avg.) and five touchdowns as a senior despite missing three games with a deep bone bruise below his knee ... also caught three two-point conversions and returned four kicks (two kickoffs and two punts) for touchdowns ... had 35 receptions for 385 yards and 11 TDs as a junior ... selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... rated as the third-best tight end in the nation by ESPN.com's Tom Lemming ... a member of SuperPrep's Elite 50 and that publication's 39th-rated player nationally ... a Mid-Atlantic all-region pick by SuperPrep and the third-best player (at any position) in the region ... second team All-USA by USA Today ... ranked as the fourth-best tight end in the nation and the seventh-best player (overall) in the Atlantic East by Rivals.com ... first team All-Met by The Washington Post ... Gatorade Player of the Year for the District of Columbia ... team went 31-5 and won two city championships in his three years at Dunbar ... competed in basketball and track & field ... was the DCIAA champion in the high jump with a leap of 6-5 ... chose Maryland over Florida, Virginia, Purdue and Miami, among others ... high school coach was Craig Jefferies.

staffer dave baker was first that drew my attention to fact that a hugely disproportionate number of most productive TEs come from teams with weak WRs... as was noted... guys like gonzo, gates, heap (b4 mason & clayton... wonder if his stas now go DOWN?), crumpler, shockey (pre-plax), etc... a lot of teams that throw a lot to TEs & therefor drive up stats... do so because they have to & have no other choice...

i totally agree that if davis landed in ARI with warner or DET with martz (not ANOTHER receiving weapon!!! couldn't happen... but it is the lions :) ), you could safely discount previous TE non-use associated with them... rams TEs didn't run routes like gates, et all... if one of these teams drafted davis, you can be sure it wouldn't be to play an impression of a blocking sled dummy...

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature.  He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise.  He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes.  He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

Would anyone be shocked to see Al Davis fall in love with his measurables and draft him at #6 or 7, despite glaring defensive needs?
I have a couple thoughts on this.1) He would be the only player on the team not named Moss that could catch Collins' fastballs.

2) With Moss/Porter/Davis, Oakland could stretch any defense as thin as warm butter on too much toast... but the O-line can only pass block for about 2.7 of the needed 3.5-4.0 seconds.

3) G.B. gets Super Mario and S.F. gets Davis so Oakland misses out on the marquee names at need positions. Ngata, meet Sapp. Now Sapp, pack your locker.

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature.  He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise.  He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes.  He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

Would anyone be shocked to see Al Davis fall in love with his measurables and draft him at #6 or 7, despite glaring defensive needs?
I have a couple thoughts on this.1) He would be the only player on the team not named Moss that could catch Collins' fastballs.

2) With Moss/Porter/Davis, Oakland could stretch any defense as thin as warm butter on too much toast... but the O-line can only pass block for about 2.7 of the needed 3.5-4.0 seconds.

3) G.B. gets Super Mario and S.F. gets Davis so Oakland misses out on the marquee names at need positions. Ngata, meet Sapp. Now Sapp, pack your locker.

If Davis does go in the top 7, it bodes well for the Bills and Lions, as either Hawk, Ngata, Williams, or Winston Justice drops to each of those two teams.

So much for the the thought of him dropping to Dallas at 18.....
why would dallas need a TE when they have one of the best in the NFL already ( Witten)..good thing you don't work as an NFL GM..

lol

Users who are viewing this thread