What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernon Davis a better TE prospect than Winslow ? (1 Viewer)

Kleck.

Footballguy
I've heard Mel Kiper say that Vernon Davis may indeed grade out higher than Kellen Winslow. Scouts Inc just called Colin Cowherd who reported that Vernon Davis just ran an unofficial 4.37 forty.

Like many draft scouts and experts, I was very high on Winslow as an NFL prospect, but the more I see and hear about Davis is making me think he really could be a better prospect and grade out higher. That's Reggie Bush hype phenomenal.

In the combine thread baracuda posted the official time was 4.38.

Last edited by a moderator:
:yes: Kellen Winslow had all the physical tools, but had an inconsistent time in his final college season and from a maturity standpoint represented a HUGE risk as a top 10 pick. Not so for Vern...

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature. He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise. He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes. He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

Would anyone be shocked to see Al Davis fall in love with his measurables and draft him at #6 or 7, despite glaring defensive needs?

Would love to see him in a 9'ers uni. Maybe a bit rich at #6, but ASmith needs someone to throw to...

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature. He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise. He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes. He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

Would anyone be shocked to see Al Davis fall in love with his measurables and draft him at #6 or 7, despite glaring defensive needs?
I can't say I would be shocked to see that happen. This years top ten is getting tougher and tougher to predict every day. I'm all for cloning humans if they start with Vern first. Maybe add an a few inches so a team could use him as a DE too.

:yes: Kellen Winslow had all the physical tools, but had an inconsistent time in his final college season and from a maturity standpoint represented a HUGE risk as a top 10 pick. Not so for Vern...
He is such a freak. 33 reps on the bench and people were disappointed. :unsure: He is ahead of Winslow in the psychological and intangible stuff in addition to the crazy measureables. He seems like a good kid, solid, no issues, hard hard worker.

He is behind Winslow as a football player though (measureables aside). TE is one of the toughest positions on the field to learn, and Vernon has been in a simplified system. Despite his strength he is easily knocked off his routes, and he's not much for getting to the right spot. Against Boston College his pass blocking started getting questioned because he was twice run over by blitzing linebackers. Looking at the other TEs in this draft I would rank at least four of them ahead of him as blockers. I also like a couple others ahead of him as receivers (Byrd and Lewis), but that's only because they're more polished right now. Davis is head and shoulders above all TEs for receiving potential, but he's far from a sure thing, and that's what you need with those top 10 picks.

Would love to see him in a 9'ers uni. Maybe a bit rich at #6, but ASmith needs someone to throw to...
The 49ers message board has been all over this ... if true, feel free to write off any lingering value former 7th round pick Eric Johnson may have had ...

He will be a great TE if you want a guy that can beat defenses deep, but he isn't all everyone has him cracked up to be if you are 3rd down and 3. Also..I don't know that he is going to be that productive in the redzone.

He has great speed and great hands, but from what i have heard and read, he isn't Mr. All Everything on short yardage.

He will be a great TE if you want a guy that can beat defenses deep, but he isn't all everyone has him cracked up to be if you are 3rd down and 3. Also..I don't know that he is going to be that productive in the redzone.

He has great speed and great hands, but from what i have heard and read, he isn't Mr. All Everything on short yardage.
As powerful as he is, a Good TE coach can teach him that. I'd like to see him line up as a WR. No CB in the league could bump him & he'd outrun most of them!

How does this compare to Ben Watson? Didn't Watson have a 40 time around 4.4 and could bench press 535 lbs?Since found a LINK.

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature.  He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise.  He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes.  He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

How does this compare to Ben Watson? Didn't Watson have a 40 time around 4.4 and could bench press 535 lbs?Since found a LINK.
Watson's freakish athletic ability in Crumpler's frame is always how I've described Davis. I actually think Watson is smoother as a receiver than Davis.

That and Vernon Davis can actually block a guy who is looking at him, as opposed to blindsiding guys chasing after the ball like Winslow.

He will be a great TE if you want a guy that can beat defenses deep, but he isn't all everyone has him cracked up to be if you are 3rd down and 3.  Also..I don't know that he is going to be that productive in the redzone.

As powerful as he is, a Good TE coach can teach him that. I'd like to see him line up as a WR. No CB in the league could bump him & he'd outrun most of them!
A better David Boston? Would be fun to see.

Yeah, that time is sick and wrong. It's faster than all the RBs at the combine this year.
..and more importantly faster than almost all LBs and safeties with a few exceptions of players who are already in the NFL.

Add to this time the fact that he benches 460 lbs, squats almost 700 and has a 40" vertical jump, and it's obvious he's a freak of nature.  He aslo holds the Maryland record in the 40 at 4.41, so this time isn't much of a surprise.  He's a decent, but not great blocker, but any team that drafts him is not going to want him blocking anyway - they'll want him running routes.  He could EASILY be a Gates/Gonzalez-type impact guy and should be a top-10 pick.

Watson was every bit the physical specimen Davis is, but there were injury concerns surrounding him when he came out, plus he wasn't regarded as highly as a blocker as Davis is - in fact, that profile shows the concerns GMs had - that he was soft and an unwilling blocker. Add to this the fact that there were two other "elite" TE prospects in the 2004 draft (Winslow, Troupe) while this draft is considered very deep, not top-heavy, at the TE spot, and I could easily see Davis going top 10.

Just adding to his value (see below). He is clearly a man against boys:

Broad Jump

Vernon Davis Maryland 10-foot-8

Marcedes Lewis UCLA 9-foot-10

Leonard Pope Georgia 9-foot-10

Jason Pociask Wisconsin 9-foot-7

Ton Scheffler W. Michigan 9-foot-7

Owen Daniels Wisconsin 9-foot-6

Quinnn Sypniewski Colorado 9-foot-6

Vertical Jump

Vernon Davis Maryland 42

Leonard Pope Georgia 37½

David Thomas Texas 37½

Marcedes Lewis UCLA 37

Joe Klopfenstein Colorado 36

Garrett Mills Tulsa 35½

Yeah, that time is sick and wrong.  It's faster than all the RBs at the combine this year.
..and more importantly faster than almost all LBs and safeties with a few exceptions of players who are already in the NFL.
exactly... there couldn't be many LBs or even safeties capable of clocking a sub-4.4...his handle could be... vernon "MISMATCH" davis...

I saw a couple of Maryland games and Davis didnt stand out whatsoever, not like Pope, Winslow, Lewis, or King from VT. Now, could it be that Maryland runs a high school type offense? Maybe, but if you think Davis was some big play maker in college its just not the case. I'd be cautious.

If Vernon gets in the right system, such as a team that doesn't have a stud at #1 WR (like SD), this guy could be a big sleeper in fantasy leagues at the TE position. Especially with everyone else slurping Gates and Gonzalez.

If Vernon gets in the right system, such as a team that doesn't have a stud at #1 WR (like SD), this guy could be a big sleeper in fantasy leagues at the TE position. Especially with everyone else slurping Gates and Gonzalez.
Conversely, adding Davis onto a team with established WRs may help him flourish immediately thereby taking the added pressure away from him to "be the man". It would also serve to buoy the value of the WRs since defenses will be forced to make more conscious decisions.. Do I want to keep my safety and help maintain coverage in the seams and over the middle or use my safety to slide over and help one of the corners and protect against the WR going deep? Don't get me wrong, Fletch.. I know where you're going. For FANTASY purposes, it might benefit Vernon to be in a situation like Gates or Gonzo with no "true #1 WR", but I also think that sometimes we over-value such considerations. Talent wins out in the long run.. if Davis has "it" I don't think it matters where he lands, except if he comes to Detroit. In that event, he's officially doomed.

If Vernon gets in the right system, such as a team that doesn't have a stud at #1 WR (like SD), this guy could be a big sleeper in fantasy leagues at the TE position.  Especially with everyone else slurping Gates and Gonzalez.
Conversely, adding Davis onto a team with established WRs may help him flourish immediately thereby taking the added pressure away from him to "be the man". It would also serve to buoy the value of the WRs since defenses will be forced to make more conscious decisions.. Do I want to keep my safety and help maintain coverage in the seams and over the middle or use my safety to slide over and help one of the corners and protect against the WR going deep? Don't get me wrong, Fletch.. I know where you're going. For FANTASY purposes, it might benefit Vernon to be in a situation like Gates or Gonzo with no "true #1 WR", but I also think that sometimes we over-value such considerations. Talent wins out in the long run.. if Davis has "it" I don't think it matters where he lands, except if he comes to Detroit. In that event, he's officially doomed.
Why would he end up in Detroit? Didn't they draft a TE in the top 10 last year? :)

He would look great in a Bills uniform. With Moulds on his way out, there would be plenty of JP Losmans balls going his way.

Not to mention the amount of footballs that will get thrown to him.

He was a man among boys at the skills challenge and has hands like glue. The next Gates IMO.

Yeah, that time is sick and wrong. It's faster than all the RBs at the combine this year.
exactly... there couldn't be many LBs or even safeties capable of clocking a sub-4.4...his handle could be... vernon "MISMATCH" davis...
Let me say this - I wouldn't criticize any team in the top 10 if they take Davis. He has the potential to be a nightmare for defenses. He seems to be that guy that we'll look back on the 2006 draft and wonder why he didn't go higher.

If Vernon gets in the right system, such as a team that doesn't have a stud at #1 WR (like SD), this guy could be a big sleeper in fantasy leagues at the TE position.  Especially with everyone else slurping Gates and Gonzalez.
Why would he end up in Detroit? Didn't they draft a TE in the top 10 last year? :)
:hooklineandsinker:

He would look great in a Bills uniform. With Moulds on his way out, there would be plenty of JP Losmans balls going his way.

Not to mention the amount of footballs that will get thrown to him.
Nice. NTTAWWT

:hooklineandsinker:
:lmao: That was a softball.......

To add to the sickness:

Broad Jump

Vernon Davis Maryland 10-foot-8

Marcedes Lewis UCLA 9-foot-10

Leonard Pope Georgia 9-foot-10

Jason Pociask Wisconsin 9-foot-7

Ton Scheffler W. Michigan 9-foot-7

Owen Daniels Wisconsin 9-foot-6

Quinnn Sypniewski Colorado 9-foot-6

Vertical Jump

Vernon Davis Maryland 42

He is such a freak. 33 reps on the bench and people were disappointed. :unsure: He is ahead of Winslow in the psychological and intangible stuff in addition to the crazy measureables. He seems like a good kid, solid, no issues, hard hard worker.

He is behind Winslow as a football player though (measureables aside). TE is one of the toughest positions on the field to learn, and Vernon has been in a simplified system. Despite his strength he is easily knocked off his routes, and he's not much for getting to the right spot. Against Boston College his pass blocking started getting questioned because he was twice run over by blitzing linebackers. Looking at the other TEs in this draft I would rank at least four of them ahead of him as blockers. I also like a couple others ahead of him as receivers (Byrd and Lewis), but that's only because they're more polished right now. Davis is head and shoulders above all TEs for receiving potential, but he's far from a sure thing, and that's what you need with those top 10 picks.
Couple of comments: Ralph Friedgen runs one of the most complicated offenses on college football. He has simplified it the last two years because of QB & OL issues, but in comparison with other Os it's hardly simple.

I agree with you about his commitment to blocking, or going & getting the ball for that matter. I saw him alligator-arm potential catches on a few occasions. He also didn't always run the crispest patterns (though, given the MD QB woes the last two years, the ball wouldn't have gotten there anyway). However, then he'd turn around & have a game like he did against Clemson where he caught everything & ran over Tigers DBs all day long.

Would love to see him in a 9'ers uni.  Maybe a bit rich at #6, but ASmith needs someone to throw to...
I wouldn't be shocked to see this either.
Considering the 9ers offense is every bit as record-settingly bad as its defense, this would not surprise me at all, especially considering Nolan is supposed to be a bit of a Defensive coach, so theoretically he'd be able to do more with less.

Considering the 9ers offense is every bit as record-settingly bad as its defense, this would not surprise me at all, especially considering Nolan is supposed to be a bit of a Defensive coach, so theoretically he'd be able to do more with less.
:no: :no: :no: The offense going 3 and out a record number of times, turning the ball over all game, and having a horrible TOP differential put the D in a no-win situation.

The D has talent and will be fine. The offense is what needs help.

I saw a couple of Maryland games and Davis didnt stand out whatsoever, not like Pope, Winslow, Lewis, or King from VT. Now, could it be that Maryland runs a high school type offense? Maybe, but if you think Davis was some big play maker in college its just not the case. I'd be cautious.
I don't know what Maryland games you watched...here's some highlightshighlight package

(or if that doesn't work try HERE)

Vernon throws an FSU defender

(or if that doesn't work try HERE)

He averaged 17 yards a catch, seems like a playmaker to me.

Couple of comments: Ralph Friedgen runs one of the most complicated offenses on college football. He has simplified it the last two years because of QB & OL issues, but in comparison with other Os it's hardly simple.

I agree with you about his commitment to blocking, or going & getting the ball for that matter. I saw him alligator-arm potential catches on a few occasions. He also didn't always run the crispest patterns (though, given the MD QB woes the last two years, the ball wouldn't have gotten there anyway). However, then he'd turn around & have a game like he did against Clemson where he caught everything & ran over Tigers DBs all day long.
:thumbup: Thanks for the civil response. I expected to get ripped for not gushing over VD. I like him alot for the intangibles as much as the measureables, and those are excellent insights into Maryland's simplified offense this year. He can run very crisp patterns worthy of a WR, but he didn't when I watched him. Going by best available player, I haven't fit him into the top 10. But I have LenDale White at #10 right now. So, if White's weight problem and work ethic issues turn out to be real, I have no problem with Davis in the top 10.

Here's a possible problem I see: he's improved his position so much that he could end up on a team that can't utilize him properly.

GB - They should deal Bubba at the draft & pick this guy up now. doubtful, but what a good fit.

SF - QB situation is very bad. BAD place.

OAK - Who is throwin' the ball here? Also with Moss & Porter, might not be enough to go around. BAD place.

DET - They need a TE, but c'mon! Draft another receiver early? BAD place.

AZ - They could use a TE. If he lasts this long, it might be a good fit. Warner will be a FF god with Fitz/Boldin/Davis.

Here's a possible problem I see: he's improved his position so much that he could end up on a team that can't utilize him properly.

GB - They should deal Bubba at the draft & pick this guy up now. doubtful, but what a good fit. Might keep Favre around another year, but would also be a great outlet for Rodgers.

SF - QB situation is very bad. BAD place. Very little would help Smith more than having Davis as an outlet on every play.

OAK - Who is throwin' the ball here? Also with Moss & Porter, might not be enough to go around. BAD place. If the Raiders go with Walker, he'll need a short outlet so he doesn't have to wait for plays to Moss to develop.

DET - They need a TE, but c'mon! Draft another receiver early? BAD place. Martz isn't a big TE guy, but Davis' skills are unique to say the least and he drools over guys with speed. Harrington has lacked a TE threat (no BMW jokes please) and Davis could be the guy that makes him a good QB.

AZ - They could use a TE. If he lasts this long, it might be a good fit. Warner will be a FF god with Fitz/Boldin/Davis. This would be a sick passing offense and Warner would be like a kid in a candy store.
I think they are all great fits. Don't discount what a great TE can do for a QB ala Brees - from bust to Pro Bowl in one year.

GB - They should deal Bubba at the draft & pick this guy up now. doubtful, but what a good fit.

OAK - Who is throwin' the ball here? Also with Moss & Porter, might not be enough to go around. BAD place.

AZ - They could use a TE. If he lasts this long, it might be a good fit. Warner will be a FF god with Fitz/Boldin/Davis.
Hey nightshift...I'm not so sure SF or OAK would be bad places at all. Look at what Crumpler has done with Vick throwing him the ball, or what Heap has done when healthy. I think Alex Smith could use a safety valve like Davis and would throw to him early and often :yes:

TEs have historically been near invisible with Warner at QB. Other than Shockey (who did better with Eli IIRC), his high water mark was Ernie Conwell with 400 yards.

TEs have historically been near invisible with Warner at QB. Other than Shockey (who did better with Eli IIRC), his high water mark was Ernie Conwell with 400 yards.
Other than Shockey he never had much talent at TE. If Martz had a guy like that to work with he would have tailored the offense to fit him.

I think thats a bit of a misnomer though, given the talent at TE hes played with and especially the systems hes played in. Martz's offenses call for the TE to block, something that continued once Warner left and Bulger came in.And its hard to judge from last year, when ARI had 2 guys who wouldnt be #3 TEs on most teams.

Hey nightshift...I'm not so sure SF or OAK would be bad places at all. Look at what Crumpler has done with Vick throwing him the ball, or what Heap has done when healthy. I think Alex Smith could use a safety valve like Davis and would throw to him early and often :yes:
Woodrow... Vick had to throw the ball to Crumpler (lack of WRs). SF has WRs, just no o-line & I don't think Smith thinks that quick when he's runnin' for his life.Oakland? Maybe, especially if Al decides to enter the Brees sweepstakes! :thumbup:

I always got on to Rams fans who wanted us to grab him at #11, but all of the sudden, that doesn't seem like a bad idea now.

OAK - Who is throwin' the ball here? Also with Moss & Porter, might not be enough to go  around. BAD place.

Woodrow... Vick had to throw the ball to Crumpler (lack of WRs). SF has WRs, just no o-line & I don't think Smith thinks that quick when he's runnin' for his life.Oakland? Maybe, especially if Al decides to enter the Brees sweepstakes! :thumbup:
I see where you're coming from. But frankly...Vernon Davis would be, IMHO, a better WR than Lloyd, Battle or anyone else suiting up at WR for the Niners currently. With the added bonus that he's a tight end. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread