What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*WAIVER WIRE PICK-UPS AFTER WEEK 2* (2 Viewers)

I'm not going to get into a fight with you, Tex.  Watkins will score lots of points...but so will Robinson and Hardman.

Did you pick Watkins to finish below them for week #2? Neither did I.  Will he finish below them in week #3? Probably not...but that's not my point...whether he finishes with more points or fewer points, they will all score a lot of points.

Something that you simply can't count on with NE RBs given how they get used.
It’s not a fight but a healthy discussion I’m just saying that I’m getting that same vibe. I can see AB playing that Gronk roll this year but as far as KC is concerned neither of those guys will be consistent from week to week and it’s going to be a crapshoot every time an owner decides to start one. Until it becomes clearer I wouldn’t feel comfortable starting any of those guys outside of the two I’ve already mentioned. Just my two cents, I actually hope it becomes clear but then again Hill is not lost for the entire season he’ll be back.

Tex

I agree with you on the volatility, Tex -- I just think that the bottom will be high enough to risk a weekly start.  Once they get Hill back, will anyone be able to stop them?  Of course, if they can't run the ball, defenses will simply play for the pass...but will that matter?

Has the Robinson/Hardman pickup been settled in here yet? 

Or is it a crapshoot wash? 
I'm inclined to give Robinson the nod on the recency/success bias though Hardman did good too.  You feel like Kelce is always the A option, Watkins the B but probably getting the number one corner.  If Robinson outsnapped Hardman significantly, he's the guy I want but he won't sneak up on anyone anymore and Hardman seems the better tools guy

Hardman had a 74 yard TD called back too, beautiful route unfortunately Shady was called for holding.  Sammy Watkins still needs to prove he can stay healthy for a whole season, Hill may be out longer it's hard to say with this type of injury, any WR with Mahomes throwing to them is valuable!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you on the volatility, Tex -- I just think that the bottom will be high enough to risk a weekly start.  Once they get Hill back, will anyone be able to stop them?  Of course, if they can't run the ball, defenses will simply play for the pass...but will that matter?
Just line them up 5 wide

I feel like Brees didn't have the zip to keep defenses honest so they kept creeping up.   I feel like Bridgewater will force them to respect the deep ball more
Nope—they just put 11 in the box and dare TB to beat them. Worked great for the Rams.

I'm inclined to give Robinson the nod on the recency/success bias though Hardman did good too.  You feel like Kelce is always the A option, Watkins the B but probably getting the number one corner.  If Robinson outsnapped Hardman significantly, he's the guy I want but he won't sneak up on anyone anymore and Hardman seems the better tools guy
Did this happen? Because the both got the same amount of targets (6 each) Robinson just happened to catch all of his ...

Hardman also had a huge TD catch called back.

i think the “shark” move might be to let everyone spill their milk on Robinson ... and then grab Hardman for free

Did this happen? Because the both got the same amount of targets (6 each) Robinson just happened to catch all of his ...

Hardman also had a huge TD catch called back.

i think the “shark” move might be to let everyone spill their milk on Robinson ... and then grab Hardman for free
I don't know, just felt like we saw a lot of Robinson.

I don't mean to be that guy, but Hardman's already gone in all my leagues anyway, but Robinson's out there in all of them so its defacto for me

Waiver Wire Pickups for Week 3

Running Back

*Jaylen Samuels

is a must-add this week after James Conner injured his knee. He’s 35% owned, but he has to be mentioned.

Raheem Mostert (SF):

16% owned
Week 2 Stats: 13 carries, 83 rushing yards, 3 receptions, 68 receiving yards, 1 receiving TD

He was a recommended add last week, and his ownership spiked to only 16 percent. That number is sure to balloon quickly after 151 total yards and a TD against the Bengals on Sunday. Mostert was heavily involved on the ground and through the air, and despite sharing time with Matt Breida

and Jeff Wilson, he will be flex-worthy each week, especially in good matchups. An injury to Breida would propel him into RB2 territory.

Next three weeks: PIT, BYE, CLE

Not sure if you watched the game but Hardman had a 70+ yard TD reception called back on a hold or his stat line is pretty similar to Robinsons. They both had only 6 targets. Hardman had a bigger snap share when Hill was in the game plan in game 1. 

It is my belief that Hill will be better for ROS but probably a crap shot while Hill is out.

Edited: Looks like Robinson took Hill's role with about 95% of the snaps. Hardman maintained his snap count from week one about 79%.

Yeah. Would rather have Trevor semien for a few weeks
Gentle disagreement: I don't think so. Siemian has NE next week and then a BYE week for Week Four. NE has given up a total of three points in two weeks and their defense is lauded and seemingly nasty. Week Five and Six see PHI and DAL, and PHI and DAL will tee off with their respective pass rushes. 

Just for thought. 

Then you should have no problem posting the pecking order for the next game?

How did Watkins do in game one?

How did Watkins do in game two?

Where was Robinson in game one?

How did he do in game two?

Tex
Might seem that simple at a glance but don't dismiss the fact that Watkins had 13 targets Week 2 and is tied for 3rd in NFL total targets (24).  

rockaction said:
Gentle disagreement: I don't think so. Siemian has NE next week and then a BYE week for Week Four. NE has given up a total of three points in two weeks and their defense is lauded and seemingly nasty. Week Five and Six see PHI and DAL, and PHI and DAL will tee off with their respective pass rushes. 

Just for thought. 
Good info. I hadn't studied a schedule to think out week to week.  My overall thought is, regarding teddy, I would just say that we can't assume the saints are the saints and all is good because Brees is a special player and you just can't plug and play and expect similar results, especially since we have to remember teddy hasn't started a game in like 3 years and he had a gruesome injury.  I'm sure his mobility isn't the same.  He just can't be the same player. 

But, additionally, you have Sean Peyton saying stuff like Hill is "Steve young" in his eyes and he's so athletic.   Do we know that teddy gets all starts while Brees is out?  I mean, that is pretty lofty praise from the head coach.  Would be not be looking to play a guy he thinks so highly of?

Good info. I hadn't studied a schedule to think out week to week.  My overall thought is, regarding teddy, I would just say that we can't assume the saints are the saints and all is good because Brees is a special player and you just can't plug and play and expect similar results, especially since we have to remember teddy hasn't started a game in like 3 years and he had a gruesome injury.  I'm sure his mobility isn't the same.  He just can't be the same player. 

But, additionally, you have Sean Peyton saying stuff like Hill is "Steve young" in his eyes and he's so athletic.   Do we know that teddy gets all starts while Brees is out?  I mean, that is pretty lofty praise from the head coach.  Would be not be looking to play a guy he thinks so highly of?
Teddy is not the same player. The reason I know the Jets schedule is because I'm a Jets homer. I saw Bridgewater play last preseason and paid full attention. You can find me on the board hoping he was our starter last year, because I thought he looked better than Darnold did, frankly. That said, I don't like Teddy's upcoming schedule, either, and coupled with the feeling that he's a low-end starter in the league everybody's mileage is gonna vary.

Doug B. is a very passionate Saints fan, and I gently disagree with him, too, about Teddy getting thrown into the Rams situation. That's an excellent defense that held NE to thirteen points in the SB, and Teddy didn't get the reps in practice that he will going forward. I think he'll be better than he was against the LAR. 

I did hear about Payton and the Steve Young thing with Taysom Hill, but they paid Teddy for this exact occurrence, and I don't think Payton jumps the gun with Hill. That comes with a major caveat: I'm not a Saints adherent nor follower.

Is Rudolph worth a spot if your a Ben owner?? He can throw the ball. 
I'm in the same spot: Debating amongst wire QBs like Rudolph, Bridgewater, Dalton, Keenum, etc for my backup QB. 

I think I'd put Teddy last on that list because Drew will eventually be back, but man I don't know. I know exactly what Dalton and Keenum are but it's tempting to look at Rudolph and Bridgewater for the potential upside.

Teddy is not the same player. The reason I know the Jets schedule is because I'm a Jets homer. I saw Brdigewater play last preseason and paid full attention. You can find me on the board hoping he was our starter last year, because I thought he looked better than Darnold did, frankly. That said, I don't like Teddy's upcoming schedule, either, and coupled with the feeling that he's a low-end starter in the league everybody's mileage is gonna vary.

Doug B. is a very passionate Saints fan, and I gently disagree with him, too, about Teddy getting thrown into the Rams situation. That's an excellent defense that held NE to sixteen points in the SB, and Teddy didn't get the reps in practice that he will going forward. I think he'll be better than he was against the LAR. 

I did hear about Payton and the Steve Young thing with Taysom Hill, but they paid Teddy for this exact occurrence, and I don't think Payton jumps the gun with Hill. That comes with a major caveat: I'm not a Saints adherent nor follower.
Good stuff, man and great point about the commitment and pay to Bridgewater.   Always nice to get good insight from people following their teams and knowing the situation. 

I'm in the same spot: Debating amongst wire QBs like Rudolph, Bridgewater, Dalton, Keenum, etc for my backup QB. 

I think I'd put Teddy last on that list because Drew will eventually be back, but man I don't know. I know exactly what Dalton and Keenum are but it's tempting to look at Rudolph and Bridgewater for the potential upside.
I put in for Mason. If someone grabs him before me. I’ll go Keenum. 

Keenum may very well lose that job so they can at least look at Haskins. That's the problem with Keenum. Otherwise, he's serviceable as a replacement guy. 

For a QB I'd rather have Bridgewater with a couple of good matchups in the next few weeks.  You know Pittsburgh will be adding a veteran QB and who that is, is anybody's guess right now but they may choose to go with the veteran over Rudolph. Downgrade all Steelers and try to sell high.

For RB Mostert has great value until Coleman comes back and even later as soon as Breida gets injured. 

For WR the Hardman and Robinson both have good short term value but Tyreek Hill will be back soon enough that I'd put D.J. Chark and Conley over them for ROS.

https://247profootball.com/week-3-early-waiver-wire-pickups/

For a QB I'd rather have Bridgewater with a couple of good matchups in the next few weeks.  You know Pittsburgh will be adding a veteran QB and who that is, is anybody's guess right now but they may choose to go with the veteran over Rudolph. Downgrade all Steelers and try to sell high.

For RB Mostert has great value until Coleman comes back and even later as soon as Breida gets injured. 

For WR the Hardman and Robinson both have good short term value but Tyreek Hill will be back soon enough that I'd put D.J. Chark and Conley over them for ROS.

https://247profootball.com/week-3-early-waiver-wire-pickups/
Hardman played a ton of snaps even with Hill out there, though it sounds like Robinson is Mahomes's wubby, too, from what Nantz and Romo were describing about their meeting with Mahomes. Mahomes likes how Robinson gets open when he's buying time or scrambling. That's always -- always -- something to think about.

Deamon said:
Really?  I thought Robinson and not close.  AJG comes back in a few weeks.  I realize Tyreek does too, but by then there is a good chance Sammy is hurt.  And Mahomes vs Dalton...

With so many QBs disappearing, a usual buffet of QBs on the waiver wire is starting to dry up.  Let's examine a few of these for the Brees and Big Ben owners plus some slow numbers from other starters that have owners scrambling. 

Andy Dalton: Under 50% ownership on RTS, you can do a lot worse with a QB in a pass happy offense that will be behind all season...he's a solid 20-25 every week right now.

Marcus Mariota: 26% Owned, Not his best game this past week but he has the upside to clear 25-30 a game some weeks. He is TD reliant but it happens in spurts. @Jax and @Atl next two weeks might make you rethink grabbing him.

Case Keenum 21% Owned, he is going to be playing from behind all season, can't see them pushing Haskins out there right now. He might not hit 30 much but he is going to be in the 20-25 range, Guice is out and they are limited in the rush attack right now. 

I believe those 3 QBs can cover you as a patch depending on how many QBs are rostered in your league, 20 are gone in mine, I would bet most 12 team leagues that can be pushed to 24. 

Minshew is worth keeping an eye on, Jacksonville has some talent and they won't play KC and Houston every single week. 

Sam Darnold will be back Week 5 and he is only on about 30% of rosters right now...

Marcus Mariota: 26% Owned, Not his best game this past week but he has the upside to clear 25-30 a game some weeks. He is TD reliant but it happens in spurts. @Jax and @Atl next two weeks might make you rethink grabbing him.
That whole offense is bad.  It's based on slowing the game down through running the ball which limits the upside to start. Mariota doesn't run and if he doesn't then he can't make up for it with his arm.  100 year old walker is his best receiver and he's a te.

Huge stay away.

Chris Herndon, I snagged him in my main league, Maybe a bit early, but oh well
Hunter Henry owners that are floating whoever they took as their TE2 might be best served to go here. Darnold will be back Week 5 and that's about the time he gets off suspension, should be a good thing. Herndon showed flashes last year, think he can step up a level when he is ready to roll. 

That whole offense is bad.  It's based on slowing the game down through running the ball which limits the upside to start. Mariota doesn't run and if he doesn't then he can't make up for it with his arm.  100 year old walker is his best receiver and he's a te.

Huge stay away.
He is avg 2 TDs a week, last week he threw 3 for the first time since he went on a Big Run in 2016 his 2nd year in the league. 

I think he has the ability when everyone around him is playing well to cash in. Walker is a terrific TE even at 35, Davis is getting open, others are pushing for targets, a good OL even if it's not a top 5 type...it's solid. 

But I understand your POV and why you feel that way, I just remember when he was turning heads in 2016, maybe he has had some injuries, I would at least keep him on a short list. 

Doug B said:
No — maybe it’s fan pessimism, but he’s shown nothing that makes him look like a FFB starter.
Yes he has.  He has shown that he literally was the starter for the Vikings a few years back and then had the injury before playing a game. 

The Saints have also shown that they think there is something there by making him the highest paid backup in the league.  He turned down more money from the Dolphins - to start - to stay with the Saints. 

It seems like at least 3 teams, including 2 that are well run, think he is a starter now or was good enough to start in the past. 

With so many QBs disappearing, a usual buffet of QBs on the waiver wire is starting to dry up.  Let's examine a few of these for the Brees and Big Ben owners plus some slow numbers from other starters that have owners scrambling. 

Andy Dalton: Under 50% ownership on RTS, you can do a lot worse with a QB in a pass happy offense that will be behind all season...he's a solid 20-25 every week right now.

Case Keenum 21% Owned, he is going to be playing from behind all season, can't see them pushing Haskins out there right now. He might not hit 30 much but he is going to be in the 20-25 range, Guice is out and they are limited in the rush attack right now. 

I believe those 3 QBs can cover you as a patch depending on how many QBs are rostered in your league, 20 are gone in mine, I would bet most 12 team leagues that can be pushed to 24. 

Minshew is worth keeping an eye on, Jacksonville has some talent and they won't play KC and Houston every single week. 

Sam Darnold will be back Week 5 and he is only on about 30% of rosters right now...
Going to add dalton and drop newton.  I'm 0-2 because of him.  Can't afford a qb who doesn't score at least 20.

Some of the guys I'm considering in short bench (start 9, with 5 bench spots), 12 team, ppr league:

Jaylen Samuels - All dependent on Conner news.

Darwin Thompson - All dependent on Shady/Williams news.

Chris Thompson - Great guy to have on bench in a ppr league, but not a league winner

Mostert - When Coleman comes back, his value is gone

Peyton Barber - Meh.  Needs to do more in the passing game to excite me and RJones looks pretty good.

Agholor - Depends upon DJax and Jeffrey news. Barely saw the ball week 1 and scar tissue from that horrific drop could linger

Deebo - Is SF turning their offense around, or is Cinci just that bad?

Demarcus Robinson - Playing whack a mole with Sammy, but having a piece of the most explosive O in the league for 8 weeks is nice

Chris Conley - Going to be behind a lot.  Minshew looking for these guys.  DeDe is an afterthought.

DJ Chark - See above

Some of the guys I'm considering in short bench (start 9, with 5 bench spots), 12 team, ppr league:

Jaylen Samuels - All dependent on Conner news. 

Darwin Thompson - All dependent on Shady/Williams news.

Chris Thompson - Great guy to have on bench in a ppr league, but not a league winner

Mostert - When Coleman comes back, his value is gone

Peyton Barber - Meh.  Needs to do more in the passing game to excite me and RJones looks pretty good.

Agholor - Depends upon DJax and Jeffrey news. Barely saw the ball week 1 and scar tissue from that horrific drop could linger

Deebo - Is SF turning their offense around, or is Cinci just that bad?

Demarcus Robinson - Playing whack a mole with Sammy, but having a piece of the most explosive O in the league for 8 weeks is nice

Chris Conley - Going to be behind a lot.  Minshew looking for these guys.  DeDe is an afterthought.

DJ Chark - See above
Samuels-Have you heard that Ben is going to be out all season? I like Samuels and what he brings to the short passing game to help out Mason who seems to be pretty efficient on short passes to the TE and RBs, maybe stick routes to the wideouts. 

Mostert-Might be 4-6 weeks before Coleman is ready to roll, maybe Mostert is all that's left standing by that point, he could continue to be half of a nice combo as RBs seem to fall down in this offense, all of them have had stints on the injury report. 

-Ronald Jones looks good? I would like to hear more of what you saw in the Carolina game. Did you watch it closely or mostly scan the box score? Snap count after Arians praised Ronald Jones? Not being snarky but the facts point to something else right now. 

Agholor has 120-130 catches, 1600+ yds and 12 TDs over his last 26 starts in 3WR Sets in a pass happy offense...look closely as Philly WRs are like SF RBs, they're in and out all the time, Agholor has prospered because of this. 

-I think SF might have lost Staley for a while on their OL, not sure if he is the RT or LT or got pushed inside to LG or RG but that's not good IMO for the passing game and Deebo but they are trying to feed that WR. 

Chris Herndon, I snagged him in my main league, Maybe a bit early, but oh well
Did the same.

one of my leagues I’ve got Jared Cook - and the WW is bare. Figure I’ll sitck it out with Cook until Herdon comes back. 

He should immediately slot in as a high target getter. 

In my 12 team standard scoring no-PPR, top available QBs are:

Keenum - probably still out the due to the Haskins risk, you could pair the two.  Keenum is the #6 QB in my league

Minshew  - will have obv rookie ups & downs, but has looked decent so far

Brisset - perfectly acceptable fill-in

After that, it looks thinner:

Flacco

Cousins

Manning

Personally, I'd go with Ruldolph (Pitt is high on hime) and pair him with your current backup, Keenum/Haskins, or Brisset.  Depends on how much bench room you have.

Users who are viewing this thread