What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WashPo Article Calls for Morbid Obesity to be Classified as a Handicap (1 Viewer)

2 things:

Subway Jared is still skinny. He didn't even exercise, he just ate less.

This thread made me hungry... I'm gonna go eat some marshmallows, heard they're health

How is being jolly a handicap? If anything it is a benefit. Everyone likes jolly people, fat people are jolly, so everyone likes fat people. No handicap. Next question.

I have never met a thin person that ate properly and exercised regularly and got fat. I bet most people haven't either.

Most of the foods that make people fat aren't very filling and lack nutritional value and taste amazingly delicious. Can't even imagine why people could eat lots of it even when said people are fat and loaded with leptin.

I cant imagine I am the only person on the planet that has enjoyed a big dinner at a restaurant and felt stuffed only to order a dessert once they rolled the dessert cart through and I saw something that looked amazing. I didn't order it because my body suddenly became leptin resistant and gave me signals to eat again. I ordered it because it looked amazing and my brain told me to get it even though my body was screaming stop! I wanted that short term pleasure provided by that delicious dessert.

I didn't order it because my body suddenly became leptin resistant and gave me signals to eat again.
Right. It probably doesn't happen suddenly. Nonetheless, it does happen. Appetite dysregulation is a real thing. It may often be caused by eating too much junk food in the first place, but that doesn't make it any easier to overcome once it occurs.

Very few people do a bunch of mathematical calculations to figure out how many calories they need to eat in order to maintain energy homeostasis, and then weigh all their food and purposely eat exactly that amount. Instead, it's generally a subconscious process. For the most part, people eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. The problem is that if their hunger signals get out of whack, it screws everything up and the subconscious process can make overeating nearly inevitable.

Most people with a normal body weight avoid overeating not because they have super elite upper-tier will power, but because they naturally feel full when they've had enough to eat, and food becomes unappetizing when they're full. Some fail to realize, however, that it's not like that for everyone. Not everyone feels full when they're supposed to, and maintaining a healthy weight is more challenging for those people.

You say that you've ordered an amazing-looking dessert even though you felt stuffed and your body was screaming stop. How much more often would you do that if you didn't feel stuffed and your body wasn't screaming stop?

Last edited by a moderator:
If morbid obesity is a disability then shouldn't below average IQ should also be classified as a disability? Both are partially a result of people not trying hard enough.

One reason I think people get obese is because they don't allow themselves to go hungry for any length of time. They basically orbit around their refrigerator all their lives, and the minute they get hungry they have to stop that feeling of being hungry. Man up and be hungry for a little while. Just because you are hungry doesn't mean you have to eat immediately. What people need to get outdoors far away from food, do something active, like sports for three hours or fishing or hiking or plow a field and if you get hungry well too bad you are too far away from food to do anything about it for a while so focus on doing something else rather than eating food. After a while you get used to being hungry for a few hours and it isnt really such a big deal.

If morbid obesity is a disability then shouldn't below average IQ should also be classified as a disability? Both are partially a result of people not trying hard enough.

One reason I think people get obese is because they don't allow themselves to go hungry for any length of time. They basically orbit around their refrigerator all their lives, and the minute they get hungry they have to stop that feeling of being hungry. Man up and be hungry for a little while. Just because you are hungry doesn't mean you have to eat immediately. What people need to get outdoors far away from food, do something active, like sports for three hours or fishing or hiking or plow a field and if you get hungry well too bad you are too far away from food to do anything about it for a while so focus on doing something else rather than eating food. After a while you get used to being hungry for a few hours and it isnt really such a big deal.
A low enough IQ is a disability and has nothing to do with trying hard. It often falls under the term "developmentally disabled." People with an IQ under 70 are considered to have a disability, and an under 60 IQ qualifies you for social security disability benefits.

In less than 80 years we have gone from a generation that gave up their lives saving the world from tyranny to a generation that wants money and/or special treatment because they are too lazy to use a treadmill, go for a walk or don't have the will-power not to eat Big Macs, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese or Doritos...seriously, this is absolutely pathetic...if you want to let yourself go by all means do it...that is your choice but don't try to BS me that 95% of these people aren't lazy or are a product of their own lifestyle...put the freakin' Toll House cookies down, turn off the Price is Right and get off the couch than maybe you won't be out of breath after walking 20 feet...

A low enough IQ is a disability and has nothing to do with trying hard. It often falls under the term "developmentally disabled." People with an IQ under 70 are considered to have a disability, and an under 60 IQ qualifies you for social security disability benefits.
If people have multiple disabilities, do they get a bonus prize?

What about FBG with peni so big that it's hard to find women who will enjoy making sweet love to them?

I didn't order it because my body suddenly became leptin resistant and gave me signals to eat again.
Right. It probably doesn't happen suddenly. Nonetheless, it does happen. Appetite dysregulation is a real thing. It may often be caused by eating too much junk food in the first place, but that doesn't make it any easier to overcome once it occurs.

Very few people do a bunch of mathematical calculations to figure out how many calories they need to eat in order to maintain energy homeostasis, and then weigh all their food and purposely eat exactly that amount. Instead, it's generally a subconscious process. For the most part, people eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. The problem is that if their hunger signals get out of whack, it screws everything up and the subconscious process can make overeating nearly inevitable.

Most people with a normal body weight avoid overeating not because they have super elite upper-tier will power, but because they naturally feel full when they've had enough to eat, and food becomes unappetizing when they're full. Some fail to realize, however, that it's not like that for everyone. Not everyone feels full when they're supposed to, and maintaining a healthy weight is more challenging for those people.

You say that you've ordered an amazing-looking dessert even though you felt stuffed and your body was screaming stop. How much more often would you do that if you didn't feel stuffed and your body wasn't screaming stop?
This completely ignores the point that it isn't just the quantity of food they are eating. It is what they are eating. I have never known a person that got fat because they ate too many servings of green beans and chicken breasts because their hunger signals never stopped triggering.

I can eat a whole bag of tortilla chips in a sitting. I could even slather them in guacamole and still have zero troubles finishing an entire bag. I could never sit down and eat 15 veggie burger patties.

I was at 270 three months ago when my Doc told me I have Type 2 diabetes. Down to 245 now and losing more every day - and my blood sugar is normal.

With proper education and a good enough kick in the pants, my experience is that anyone can do this.

I was at 270 three months ago when my Doc told me I have Type 2 diabetes. Down to 245 now and losing more every day - and my blood sugar is normal.

With proper education and a good enough kick in the pants, my experience is that anyone can do this.
Exactly. Once you break quit looking at food as a reward or comfort, it becomes much easier.

There's an ambiguity in your logic. No one's saying obesity is a disability, just obesity that's severe enough to truly impact your ability to do things most others can do. Likewise, if your IQ is low enough, it is classified as a disability.

There's an ambiguity in your logic. No one's saying obesity is a disability, just obesity that's severe enough to truly impact your ability to do things most others can do. Likewise, if your IQ is low enough, it is classified as a disability.
I think the main thing is that obesity is the result of choices. You can choose to eat whatever the #### you want and stay obese or choose to eat healthy and exercise. People with low IQs cannot choose to have a higher IQ.

I think the main thing is that obesity is the result of choices. You can choose to eat whatever the #### you want and stay obese or choose to eat healthy and exercise. People with low IQs cannot choose to have a higher IQ.
And as others have pointed out, a lot of disabilities occur because of a person's choices.

And as others have pointed out, a lot of disabilities occur because of a person's choices.
Which ones are reversible?

I don't know. Can you guaranty me none of the others are?

I don't know. Can you guaranty me none of the others are?
Can you guaranty me that they aren't?

If people have multiple disabilities, do they get a bonus prize?
Yes. They get a rhyming nickname on a message board of their choosing.

This completely ignores the point that it isn't just the quantity of food they are eating. It is what they are eating.
I bolded the part that doesn't ignore it.

I have never known a person that got fat because they ate too many servings of green beans and chicken breasts because their hunger signals never stopped triggering.

I can eat a whole bag of tortilla chips in a sitting. I could even slather them in guacamole and still have zero troubles finishing an entire bag. I could never sit down and eat 15 veggie burger patties.
Right, it's Doritos that make people fat, not green beans. Fat people would be better off if they ate more green beans. No argument there. But that doesn't change the fact that some people's appetites don't work right, and it's much more challenging for them than it is for you to avoid overeating -- not simply because they lack your superior ethic of willpower and restraint, but because portions of their endocrine system are broken.

There's a pretty big difference between 270 and 4 bills. Not sure where they draw the line but it isn't going to be 270

There's a pretty big difference between 270 and 4 bills. Not sure where they draw the line but it isn't going to be 270
Regardless, his point is valid. Obesity is self inflicted and remediated with a little effort.

This completely ignores the point that it isn't just the quantity of food they are eating. It is what they are eating.
I bolded the part that doesn't ignore it.

I have never known a person that got fat because they ate too many servings of green beans and chicken breasts because their hunger signals never stopped triggering.

Right, it's Doritos that make people fat, not green beans. Fat people would be better off if they ate more green beans. No argument there. But that doesn't change the fact that some people's appetites don't work right, and it's much more challenging for them than it is for you to avoid overeating -- not simply because they lack your superior ethic of willpower and restraint, but because portions of their endocrine system are broken.
Just so we are clear, when it comes to diet, I don't have superior ethic of willpower. I routinely do in fact eat whole bags of tortilla chips. I have stated that numerous times on this board.

I love tostitos yellow corn cantina style chips. They are little delicious bastards. I dont eat them because I subconsciously dont realize I am doing it and my body tells me I need more. I know they are terrible for me, but I love them. I choose to eat them and I enjoy the experience.

Now are there a small minority of people out there that do in fact subconsciously eat and literally have no idea it is bad for them and their body demands more? Sure. If that it was you are making a point about, I concede it. There are almost always exceptions in life. If you think that it is what causes the vast majority of obesity I completely disagree. I think the vast majority know exactly what is going on and choose the short term enjoyment forgoing the long term disastrous health effects.

If you eat 5 donuts and don't feel very full it isn't because your body doesn't work right no matter how long you have been doing it. It is because you ate 5 (calorie packed) desserts that are light and fluffy and turn to nothing once the acid in your stomach hits them. I would argue it is because your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

The far more likely scenario in all of this is that fat people get a much greater enjoyment out of more food items which makes them more likely to succumb. Heaven forbid our society hold people accountable to that choice.

Regardless, his point is valid. Obesity is self inflicted and remediated with a little effort.
I think from the posts several people have made in here it's obvious that it's more than just "a little effort."

I think from the posts several people have made in here it's obvious that it's more than just "a little effort."
Takes a lot of effort to become morbidly obese. Years of inactivity and eating like ####.

Takes a lot of effort to become morbidly obese. Years of inactivity and eating like ####.
I'm sure it does. You don't get to be 400-500 pounds by just "letting yourself go" over the summer. I've eaten too much, drank too much and not exercised enough for 30 years and haven't come close to that.

I'm sure it does. You don't get to be 400-500 pounds by just "letting yourself go" over the summer. I've eaten too much, drank too much and not exercised enough for 30 years and haven't come close to that.
Obesity will greatly diminish your quality of life, and end it early. So, eating better and going on walks does indeed take very little effort when you put it in perspective.

Obesity will greatly diminish your quality of life, and end it early. So, eating better and going on walks does indeed take very little effort when you put it in perspective.
That's helpful. I wonder why fat people aren't just told this? The problem would be instantly solved. :thumbup:

This thread is taking the same curve that all "Fat threads" take.

Someone says something "Fat related"

The topic is discussed for 10 postings

4-5 pages of in shape people telling fat people what they need to do to be thin because they ain't fat and a few others saying it isn't that easy due to a bunch of different reasons.

Morbid Obesity isn't a disability, at least in the medium to long term. If you get to the point where for X Y and Z reasons you are obese you can get surgery to not be obese in the long run. You can choose to do something about it. The journey to becoming obese may very well not always be a choice and that is open for debate. What's not open for debate is its a growing problem and it's entirely rational to think its not just 50M people making bad choices.

If you think that it is what causes the vast majority of obesity I completely disagree. I think the vast majority know exactly what is going on and choose the short term enjoyment forgoing the long term disastrous health effects.
To be clear, I don't necessarily think that leptin resistance or other forms of appetite dysregulation are what initially cause obesity in most cases. I think they're part of what makes obesity so difficult to permanently reverse once it has already set in.

If you eat 5 donuts and don't feel very full it isn't because your body doesn't work right no matter how long you have been doing it.
We may just be talking past each other without really disagreeing.

Do you mean that all people will be equally sated by five donuts regardless of their leptin sensitivity or other hormonal factors? Or do you mean only that anyone with five donuts in his belly will not be so physically compelled to eat another that he has no choice in the matter?

If the former, we disagree, but that seems like an odd position to take. If the latter, I think we may agree on these two main points: (1) that avoidance of overeating can, for physiological reasons, be more difficult for some people than for others; but (2) even people for whom it is difficult can avoid overeating if it's a high enough priority. If we agree on those things, it seems that our disagreement is limited to the relative emphasis we place on each point. I think the first factor goes further than the second toward explaining why people are fatter now than their counterparts of 30 years ago. But don't take that as a denial of personal responsibility or a refusal to acknowledge the role that willpower may also play (concerning both the quality and the quantity of food one chooses to eat). Accepting the first point doesn't have to mean denying the second, or vice versa.

If you think that it is what causes the vast majority of obesity I completely disagree. I think the vast majority know exactly what is going on and choose the short term enjoyment forgoing the long term disastrous health effects.
To be clear, I don't necessarily think that leptin resistance or other forms of appetite dysregulation are what initially cause obesity in most cases. I think they're what make obesity so difficult to permanently reverse once it has already set in.

If you eat 5 donuts and don't feel very full it isn't because your body doesn't work right no matter how long you have been doing it.
We may just be talking past each other without really disagreeing.

Do you mean that all people will be equally sated by five donuts regardless of their leptin sensitivity or other hormonal factors? Or do you mean only that anyone with five donuts in his belly will not be so physically compelled to eat another that he has no choice in the matter?

If the former, we disagree, but that seems like an odd position to take. If the latter, I think we may agree on these two main points: (1) that avoidance of overeating can, for physiological reasons, be more difficult for some people than for others; but (2) even people for whom it is difficult can avoid overeating if it's a high enough priority. If we agree on those things, it seems that our disagreement is limited to the relative emphasis we place on each point. I think the first factor goes further than the second toward explaining why people are fatter now than their counterparts of 30 years ago. But don't take that as a denial of personal responsibility or a refusal to acknowledge the role that willpower may also play (concerning both the quality and the quantity of food one chooses to eat). Accepting the first point doesn't have to mean denying the second, or vice versa.
Of course no two people will be equally sated by eating 5 donuts. 5 was kind of a bad example to use as it was hyperbole. The point I was trying to make is that hunger has far less to do with eating a donut(or several) than the psychological aspect of it.

We had a pot luck at work on friday. I can say without a doubt everybody in the office consumed more calories than usual. Was everybody hungrier? I highly doubt it. Probably had more to do with the social aspect and the fact that the food being served was not healthy. There were no less than 5 desserts.

XMas dinner, thanksgiving, New Years, Super Bowl Sunday, etc. Most people consume more calories on these days. Most people are also far less active on those days(except maybe New Years since resolutioners come out in force) so it isn't their bodies reacting to increased activity levels. There are numerous studies and media reports regarding holiday weight gain. Many of them seem inflated, but it is a very real thing. People aren't just hungrier during the holidays.

What about college weight gain? I realize the freshman 15 is a myth, but this study says 1 in 4 freshman gain 10 pounds in their first semester.

There are many other factors at play. Factors that I think far outweigh the physiological. I know I have kind of jumped around here and I know that you agree with much of this, but I am just trying to stress that even skinny people can put on weight pretty easily when other factors change and I don't believe it is physiologically related(the vast majority of the time). Then when they have put that weight on, I think the factors that led to putting it on are the same factors that cause them to keep it on or put it back on if they lose it. Not some switch in their body chemistry.

While that is certainly possible and I am sure there are at least a couple obese people that eat very healthy food, but just remain hungry and eat 14 chicken breasts, 6 tenderloin fillets, 20 servings of vegetables, and 5 pieces of fruit each day and stay heavy. I just have never met any of them.

ETA I think that the differences in weight compared to 30 years ago are directly related to a lower activity level and there being more calorie dense foods in our faces everyday via advertising and because of the microwave.

I also think a lot of it is the diet the FDA pushes is high in carbs. You don't need hardly any carbs at all. You certainly don't need to be shoving bread and sugar down your throat. You don't need to eat another baked good the rest of your life in fact. But once you are hooked on carbs and the resulting blood sugar spike, it's hard to curb it.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but there is a lot of money in keeping people fat and sick. The FDA must know that a paleo type diet is much more healthy for the average person. But anyone who has done any kind of research knows that your diet should be well below the 50% carbs that myplate.gov espouses. You can basically cut the whole top half of the linked image and you will lose weight. So even with improvements from the disastrous food pyramid, the government is still pushing grains grains grains. Why though? I mean on the one hand they subsidize grain growers and on the other they are telling people to eat them to be healthy. Who makes the money from this? Health care and insurance is the obvious choice.

http://sites.psu.edu/nutr360spr14/wp-content/uploads/sites/7099/2014/02/Screen-Shot-2014-02-24-at-3.31.35-PM.png

This subject is a VERY sore subject for me as I used to weigh 315-320. I would never, even at my biggest, consider myself handicapped. I would be absolutely humiliated to put those tags on my car. Finally, I just said 'eff it and lost the weight. No surgery (although I don't look down at those that do) I just *gasp* dieted and exercised and lost 120 or so pounds.

I supposedly had/have a 'glandular' problem, but it's merely a crutch used by the lazy. Anyone can lose weight, you just have to want to.

*steps off soapbox*

This thread is taking the same curve that all "Fat threads" take.

Someone says something "Fat related"

The topic is discussed for 10 postings

4-5 pages of in shape people telling fat people what they need to do to be thin because they ain't fat and a few others saying it isn't that easy due to a bunch of different reasons.

Morbid Obesity isn't a disability, at least in the medium to long term. If you get to the point where for X Y and Z reasons you are obese you can get surgery to not be obese in the long run. You can choose to do something about it. The journey to becoming obese may very well not always be a choice and that is open for debate. What's not open for debate is its a growing problem and it's entirely rational to think its not just 50M people making bad choices.
This is not open for debate, it's fact. And 50M people are making bad choices because watching what you eat take self control and exercise is not fun. Just because a lot of people are doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing. Americans these days will almost always take the easiest path.

The FDA must know that a paleo type diet is much more healthy for the average person. But anyone who has done any kind of research knows that your diet should be well below the 50% carbs that myplate.gov espouses.
I don't think it's certain at all.

The FDA must know that a paleo type diet is much more healthy for the average person. But anyone who has done any kind of research knows that your diet should be well below the 50% carbs that myplate.gov espouses.
I don't think it's certain at all.
That's great. Thanks for posting. Enjoy your Fritos.
Haha. You obviously have never seen Juxt.
NTTAWWT but your response kind of illustrates my point.

Users who are viewing this thread