What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We are all victims (1 Viewer)

It's all relative. You can't look at other people's lives solely through your own lens.

You have to take a step back and objectively look at things from a different perspective. Or at least be willing to try.

And you think that happens on this board?
You're talking about a pretty homogenous bunch at this place. Everyone for the most part is firmly either in the middle or upper class of society. We are gated from most other elements of society that fall into the buckets we judge the most.

It's all relative. You can't look at other people's lives solely through your own lens.

You have to take a step back and objectively look at things from a different perspective. Or at least be willing to try.

You're talking about a pretty homogenous bunch at this place. Everyone for the most part is firmly either in the middle or upper class of society. We are gated from most other elements of society that fall into the buckets we judge the most.

I agree with everything that you wrote above.

I don’t think this board is a safe place to have free thought. At all.

Can someone explain how ”victim mentality” is destroying Western society, and the US specifically? What is being destroyed, and what what will ultimately happen if this phenomenon is unchecked?
i think what people mean by it is that accountability is lacking in general, maybe?

i know someone who got a DUI and blamed getting pulled over on a bored cop. not that they had 8 vodka doubles and a few other drinks before swerving all over the road doing 20 over.

but what seems to be conveyed in these discussions is "everything that ever happened in your life is your fault because you were there. period." which is wrong.

I agree with what urban said as well. It is important for those who live a more comfortable life to understand and show compassion to those who are in more dire circumstances. There but the grace of God go I.

I disagree with what Steady said. I do believe this place is safe to express your free thoughts, as long as you don't launch personal attacks against other posters. It is akin to 2 fan bases watching the same game on CBS/ESPN and having them simultaneously say "The announcers are against my team!" Conservatives will think the board is biased in favor of liberals, and liberals will think the board is biased in favor of conservatives. I have not seen many topics shut down because this board doesn't agree with it. The threads I've seen shut down were usually because people started attacking each other, or posters were deliberately trying to troll and enflame. Mind you, I can proudly say I never posted in the Political Forum so my experience is limited to the FFA.

Just because people disagree with our viewpoints does not make this board an unsafe place for free thought.

I agree with what urban said as well. It is important for those who live a more comfortable life to understand and show compassion to those who are in more dire circumstances. There but the grace of God go I.

I disagree with what Steady said. I do believe this place is safe to express your free thoughts, as long as you don't launch personal attacks against other posters. It is akin to 2 fan bases watching the same game on CBS/ESPN and having them simultaneously say "The announcers are against my team!" Conservatives will think the board is biased in favor of liberals, and liberals will think the board is biased in favor of conservatives. I have not seen many topics shut down because this board doesn't agree with it. The threads I've seen shut down were usually because people started attacking each other, or posters were deliberately trying to troll and enflame. Mind you, I can proudly say I never posted in the Political Forum so my experience is limited to the FFA.

Just because people disagree with our viewpoints does not make this board an unsafe place for free thought.

There are a handful of good posters, such as yourself who fit the description you typed.

You are the exception, not the rule. You will 100% not be able to have a discussion on this board without the Ben Shapiro-level smarm.

The FFA is no different than any other message board or social media platform. People don't consider other points of view and love to pile on if they don't agree with your opinion.
I don't fit into the majority demographic of this board and have been on the receiving end of this behavior plenty of times. Don't kid yourself into thinking FBG's are some sort of enlightened bunch. The OP is as guilty as anyone else in other threads and topics.

The FFA is no different than any other message board or social media platform. People don't consider other points of view and love to pile on if they don't agree with your opinion.
I don't fit into the majority demographic of this board and have been on the receiving end of this behavior plenty of times. Don't kid yourself into thinking FBG's are some sort of enlightened bunch. The OP is as guilty as anyone else in other threads and topics.

You’re probably right.

here's an interesting exercise i did in a personal growth seminar.

you tell a story from your life where you were a victim. convince your partner, a random participant at the seminar, that you were a victim. next exercise, tell the same story again. but this time take responsibility for what happened. the object is to now convince your partner that you actually took responsibility. pretty cool really.

i actually agree with this post, except that i don’t know jayrod’s posts enough to know his history. if you stray ever so slightly here off the accepted answers and replies, you will be ganged up on and likely reported. i have had this happen to me. i may not agree with your point of view, maybe i didn’t convey it in the best way, but in no way am i trying to be disrespectful. here, i try to avoid anything remotely controversial to discuss. i have learned that the ignore button is my friend.

all that said, this country has the name united in its name, but nothing could be farther from the truth. this is a nation of hate and anger. this is also a nation of bucketing. we are no longer people, we are now classified down to the minutia. white, straight, no kids, good income, blah blah.

so, two things……1) this likely isn’t the best place for conversation 2) who cares what other people think? i do understand your point. others will feel differently. i have a situation with a relative who is married to a complete ahole. he is verbally abusive, nasty, disinterested. it is his fault for being an ahole, but her fault for not recognizing this. it is my fault for not saying anything when the opportunity presents. we like to blame in this country……a lot. blame does nobody any good and everyone has a dynamic that is not readily describable in 50 words.

i actually agree with this post, except that i don’t know jayrod’s posts enough to know his history. if you stray ever so slightly here off the accepted answers and replies, you will be ganged up on and likely reported. i have had this happen to me. i may not agree with your point of view, maybe i didn’t convey it in the best way, but in no way am i trying to be disrespectful. here, i try to avoid anything remotely controversial to discuss. i have learned that the ignore button is my friend.

all that said, this country has the name united in its name, but nothing could be farther from the truth. this is a nation of hate and anger. this is also a nation of bucketing. we are no longer people, we are now classified down to the minutia. white, straight, no kids, good income, blah blah.

so, two things……1) this likely isn’t the best place for conversation 2) who cares what other people think? i do understand your point. others will feel differently. i have a situation with a relative who is married to a complete ahole. he is verbally abusive, nasty, disinterested. it is his fault for being an ahole, but her fault for not recognizing this. it is my fault for not saying anything when the opportunity presents. we like to blame in this country……a lot. blame does nobody any good and everyone has a dynamic that is not readily describable in 50 words.
You should move to Italy or something. :whistle:

Can someone explain how ”victim mentality” is destroying Western society, and the US specifically?
From what I can tell, someone endured mild criticism on a football web zone, and here we are.

See this. You guys say stuff like this, and it’s Condescending, smarmy, and rude.

It’s the way y’all talk to people. Jay rod Is a very longtime, well respected poster.

CLEARLY he’s upset but “our FBG community” thinks it’s appropriate to make jokes and insult him for his opinion being different than yours or now, because he is upset.

Let me be clear, I am not suggesting that I wanna fight you or anybody else on this board. I am 100% not making a threat here…..but

Y’all say stuff on this board that would get the **** smacked out of you IRL.

When somebody is upset, especially one of our own, now is not the time to make ****ty ****ing jokes.
let's not play IRL tough guy on the internet, guy

You know I wasn’t but OK Furls.

i think what people mean by it is that accountability is lacking in general, maybe?

i know someone who got a DUI and blamed getting pulled over on a bored cop. not that they had 8 vodka doubles and a few other drinks before swerving all over the road doing 20 over.
This is nothing new in the slightest though. I apologize for me "old" comment @Jayrod but all these "nobody does X anymore" are the same old same old that have been circulating for generations. I guarantee our parents, twenty years ago, were all complaining about how nobody takes responsibility anymore. Just as their parents did before that

This is nothing new in the slightest though. I apologize for me "old" comment @Jayrod but all these "nobody does X anymore" are the same old same old that have been circulating for generations. I guarantee our parents, twenty years ago, were all complaining about how nobody takes responsibility anymore. Just as their parents did before that
100% agree
it's as old as "nobody wants to work anymore"

the internet makes it harder to convey nuance and intent. there's no instant response so a guy says something and it sits there like a lead balloon without any sense of facial expression, tone, understanding of the person behind the comment, etc. so it all feels very black/white.

hard to touch on a topic as sensitive as this one without it coming off as very much "you 100% believe this when the exact opposite is obviously correct".

Can someone explain how ”victim mentality” is destroying Western society, and the US specifically? What is being destroyed, and what what will ultimately happen if this phenomenon is unchecked?

I thought "cancel culture" was destroying Western society? Or was that "participation trophy" culture? Or perhaps the "wussificstion of America" that's to blame?

All I know is society has always been critical of itself for many thousands of years and yet, we keep breeding and breathing. Rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated it seems.

What philosopher and great thinker hacked Chemical X's login and password here? ;)

Good post.....

The weird thing is that you'd sort of expect that the dogpiling would be worse in big, anonymous forums like Reddit or something, or platforms like Twitter. Why would that happen here? We're a bunch of grown adults, many of whom have known either other for decades. You'd think we would be more chill. And yet we all see how the PSF turned out, and I've learned from the The Shark Pool Is Unreadable thread that there's apparently some toxicity there too. I don't have an explanation for that.

The whole bucketing thing is so true in society these days. There’s no more middle ground on any topic.

Defend a cop? You’re a racist.

Are you famous but did something questionable 20 years ago? You’re cancelled.

On and on.

Bingo

Lots of judgmental people here

Are you famous but did something questionable 20 years ago? You’re cancelled.
Except this is hardly the case or there would no longer be any reunion rock band tours
It’s funny, this came up the other day in the car when the snoop dogg song ain’t no fun came on in the car.

They’ll cancel things like Dumbo or Abraham Lincoln but something like this song which has the dirtiest lyrics imaginable is not. It makes no sense.

I genuinely don't follow and, if I am following correctly, I strongly disagree.* Are you suggesting that a "safe place to have a free thought" encompasses a place where any free thought can't be respectfully criticized? If that's not what your saying, have you read the exchanges in the basketball thread that sparked this thread?

*I have personally expressed plenty of incredibly stupid and dumb but completely free thoughts on this board over the years and, but for a certain Star Wars character, have always felt like it was a "safe" place to do so.

Last edited:

I genuinely don't follow and, if I am following correctly, I strongly disagree.* Are you suggesting that a "safe place to have a free thought" encompasses a place where any free thought can't be respectfully criticized? If that's not what your saying, have you read the exchanges in the basketball thread that sparked this thread?

*I have personally expressed plenty of incredibly stupid and dumb but completely free threads on this board over the years and, but for a certain Star Wars character, have always felt like it was a "safe" place to do so.

I can’t think of a single poster that was made fun of more than you early on.

The NBA thread is your example of a safe place to express free thought? I couldn’t disagree more. If you don’t think LeBron is the greatest basketball player and human ever then you’re called stupid and wrong or both.

As parents, we must always be setting the example for our daughters. Help them see their self worth. Show them they must demand respect from a man. Show them how to be a lion in a sea of sheep.

Fathers, especially, need to show their daughters the correct way to treat a woman. Set the example for them to follow, and what to look for in a man

They’ll cancel things like Dumbo or Abraham Lincoln
Who is they? And how were these two cancelled?
It’s a minority for sure but still an example of how crazy it’s gotten.

Dumbo for the singing crows, it was racist somehow. For Abraham Lincoln, being the man to end slavery in this country was not enough to absolve him of the sins of not doing more for native Americans during his presidency. A student group at U of Wisconsin led that movement.

Dumbo for the singing crows, it was racist somehow. For Abraham Lincoln, being the man to end slavery in this country was not enough to absolve him of the sins of not doing more for native Americans during his presidency. A student group at U of Wisconsin led that movement.
OK so a student group in WI. But every single student is still learning about Abraham Lincoln these days. There may be some shine off him, but he is most certainly not cancelled.

OK so a student group in WI. But every single student is still learning about Abraham Lincoln these days. There may be some shine off him, but he is most certainly not cancelled.
Right but my point was that people more and more are seeing things as black and white, and cancel culture is just one example.

While not technically canceled there is a strong anti anybody who owned slaves at all- without any context or knowledge of the events that transpired to reach that point.

Which gets into a deeper issue of the ideology that this country needs to be destroyed and rebuilt. That everything is racist. While that is a smallish group of stupid people, they’re all over social media breeding and encouraging hate.

I feel like race relations have been set back 50 years in the past 8.

Last edited:
I believe the media and social media give people a false impression about other people's day to day lives.

Agree, except I’d expand other people’s live to “everything”. Real life or at least mine looks nothing like what people seem to think life is like for folks. I think perspective is needed like some have said but in both directions.

OK so a student group in WI.
not to get too far in to the political weeds, but we have a very strong anti-education movement going in Wisconsin currently.

While not technically canceled there is a strong anti anybody who owned slaves at all- without any context or knowledge of the events that transpired to reach that point.

stop, you've already been lapped. you're just going to keep falling farther behind.

stop, you've already been lapped. you're just going to keep falling farther behind.

We’re just having a conversation, not a debate. This isn’t about trying to “lap” him, we’re just discussing a topic.

I agree with @Jayrod

Nobody wants to take accountability for their own actions anymore
Has anyone ever wanted to take accountability? I always think about how other people are to blame for bad outcomes in my life. Maybe taking accountability is the only way to growth.

Social media gives me the impression that victim hood is increasing but my perception may be wrong. Every situation has nuance and victims have varying degrees of responsibility for their suffering. As commentators, we are detached from these stories that we discuss. I see no harm in talking about what victims may have done wrong. The wrongs of the perpetrator are usually clear beyond discussion. So why not talk about what not to do, how we and those we care about can avoid falling victim to similar perpetrators?

Users who are viewing this thread