What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wednesday is the day..... College Move in (1 Viewer)

How far from hone will she be? That's gotta be the hardest part I would imagine.

Mine will be moving in next week. Not sure which day yet. We can pay $75 to get in a day early. Might be worth it for social agenda. Good luck!

He will also kill it he just applies himself. I think that is every 2004-2006 kid in existence now.

Congratulations! You should feel like you've succeeded as a parent when your kid launches out of your home, even if it's just to a college a few hours away. (You would be just as much of a success if your daughter had enlisted in the military or joined a roofing crew or something -- the important thing here isn't the "college" part, it's the "moving on toward adulthood" part).

How far from hone will she be? That's gotta be the hardest part I would imagine.

Mine will be moving in next week. Not sure which day yet. We can pay $75 to get in a day early. Might be worth it for social agenda. Good luck!

He will also kill it he just applies himself. I think that is every 2004-2006 kid in existence now.
40-60 minutes pending traffic. Far enough it feels away - close enough that visits can happen

It's bittersweet indeed! Heading down to Davis in a couple of weeks to move my daughter from one apartment to another as she prepares for her junior year. It really hasn't gotten that much easier every time I visit her and then prepare to leave, I'm sure I'll be :cry:yet again.

Totally not gonna be ready for this when the time comes. I would bet that the oldest (daughter) will go away to college but the youngest (son) will probably stay local and go to a JC and/or just find work right out of HS. Good luck to those of you out there sending your little birdies off.

I'm hoping Softball becomes a huge positive also...... Not worried about her play more it just being overwhelming

Reminds me of when we dropped off my daughter a few years back. She went out of state, like four states over, so not remotely like we'd see her on weekends. We drove her with up all of her stuff, rented a hotel room for several night so she could transition in slowly. The night we were leaving, we met her for dinner. She tears up and says "PLEASE take me home. I don't know anybody. I can't do this." The wife and I both wanted to do just that but we knew we couldn't. Felt like the worst night of my life. But of course she did great. A lot of phone calls at first. She flew home one time for a surprise visit. Seemed like a long time until the first vacation break. She did fine and never looked back. Maybe it's different with girls because when my son went off to college a few years earlier it was no big deal.

I'm hoping Softball becomes a huge positive also...... Not worried about her play more it just being overwhelming
Obviously it varies from student to student, but my experience with student athletes is that their sport provides discipline and time management that they might not have had otherwise. I'm sure it's different if you're at a top-tier BCS school and can tackle the ball-carrier consistently, but most athletes know that they can't play COD for 40 hours a week and be successful. Softball, baseball, golf, tennis, track, cross-country, rodeo, etc. Those kids typically do fine in the classroom. (Our football and basketball players do great too, but nobody is confusing us for Penn State).

We moved my son in last Wednesday and he started classes today. He's having a great time. Of course he's close enough (45-60 minutes) that I've already taken another load of stuff down there since and he's convinced me I have to take him some more stuff this week.

We will be going through this next year.

@DA RAIDERS
@nirad3
@dkp993
@Judge Smails
and fbguys i have missed

Will be in Socal in October looking at schools. Drinks or dinner?
In

We will be going through this next year.

@DA RAIDERS
@nirad3
@dkp993
@Judge Smails
and fbguys i have missed

Will be in Socal in October looking at schools. Drinks or dinner?
Just let me know when. I do have work travel the week of the 16th, however.
10/6 - 10/10.

unsure where we are staying yet... likely near Long Beach

40-60 minutes pending traffic. Far enough it feels away - close enough that visits can happen
My wife cried the whole 3 hours trip home.

Oh no. Sorry dude

It's tough, both of mine are out of college and it still gets to me when I see them. It does make the time they are at home seem that more special though.

It's bittersweet indeed! Heading down to Davis in a couple of weeks to move my daughter from one apartment to another as she prepares for her junior year. It really hasn't gotten that much easier every time I visit her and then prepare to leave, I'm sure I'll be :cry:yet again.

One of my sons stayed down in Eugene this summer and came up to visit us for a few days. We stayed up until close to 2am one night just talking like dudes. The night he went back, I was doing the dishes and just started bawling like a baby. I don't know why, it just started flooding out of me. And he's already got two years under his belt, so it was just bizarre.

I'll be at the Ducks game on Sept 16th taking my other son back down for his soph year. Hope we can grab a cold one!

One of my sons stayed down in Eugene this summer and came up to visit us for a few days. We stayed up until close to 2am one night just talking like dudes. The night he went back, I was doing the dishes and just started bawling like a baby. I don't know why, it just started flooding out of me. And he's already got two years under his belt, so it was just bizarre.

I'll be at the Ducks game on Sept 16th taking my other son back down for his soph year. Hope we can grab a cold one!

Yup, love that my daughter still is willing to talk with me for hours. Usually I'm barely saying anything, she's just telling me all about her life. It's the best. She stayed in Davis all summer, has gone back to her mom's place in the Bay Area a few times but I haven't seen her since Spring. Really looking forward to being down there in a couple weeks.

Hawaii game - we'll be in that same tailgate spot right across the footbridge to the left along the canal, I'll have some cold ones waiting for you!

Yup, love that my daughter still is willing to talk with me for hours. Usually I'm barely saying anything, she's just telling me all about her life. It's the best. She stayed in Davis all summer, has gone back to her mom's place in the Bay Area a few times but I haven't seen her since Spring. Really looking forward to being down there in a couple weeks.

Hawaii game - we'll be in that same tailgate spot right across the footbridge to the left along the canal, I'll have some cold ones waiting for you!

SWEET! I'll be with my daughter - her first Ducks' game! She's never really expressed an interest in going but I think she's going to love this. Plus, as you well know, they grow way too fast. I'll blink and she'll be going to college. Nothing like a whole day forced to spend time with your dad!

We are moving our son into his dorm on Monday. Its about 6 hours away. I hate to admit it, but would say my wife and I are both really looking forward to getting him out of the house. I'm guilt-ridden over this. I thought I'd be a total mess on this trip, but I really just want to get him settled in and get back to a more quiet home life without our 18 year old around. I'm sure I'll miss him when he's gone, but for now I just want him out of the house.

We are moving our son into his dorm on Monday. Its about 6 hours away. I hate to admit it, but would say my wife and I are both really looking forward to getting him out of the house. I'm guilt-ridden over this. I thought I'd be a total mess on this trip, but I really just want to get him settled in and get back to a more quiet home life without our 18 year old around. I'm sure I'll miss him when he's gone, but for now I just want him out of the house.
Oh I totally get this point too. I feel a little bit of that way. I actually am trying to see if my wife will go away to college for a little bit hahaha

3 hrs away for me also, dropping off on Sept 1 and I expect my wife will be the same. First of two leaving home.

When I dropped my son off, I had this big speech planned about how proud of him I was, don't forget home, be brave, blah blah blah. I wasn't ready to say goodbye in front of the dumpsters of his dorm and just tearfully blurted out "Bye". I'll never forget the "Holy ****, you're a mess" look he gave me, we hugged, and then I drove home 5 hours in tears. For son #2, I made my wife drop him off while I played in a golf tournament.

I get it. I’m booking a ski vacation for us and a bunch of her friends Over new years. I’m looking forward to booking some with just the wife and I. 😂. If only for the cost savings 😂

#1 took himself last Thursday. I said goodbye Wednesday night. He is going into his 3rd year at Purdue and has moved into an apartment for the first time. He ordered a mattress which finally came today, so he can stop sleeping on his futon. He called today to ask how to cook pork chops. I told him...until they are done. He'll figure it out.

I took #2 to Ohio State on Saturday. She is going into her second year in the dorm. She is much more high maintenance. I dread the day she moves out of the dorm. She is contemplating becoming an RA which I would be very happy about should it happen.

My oldest started last week. Only 20 minutes or so away so that helps. They did online high school for 4 years for various reasons so this is an adjustment. Very important for them to get out on their own but also challenging for many of the same reasons why it was necessary for them to opt out of in person high school. Hoping as time goes by it gets easier.

Dropped our only child off this past weekend at school, 7 hours away. It's been a bit of mixed emotions for me. I know it's time for him to get out there and start living life, especially after going to an all-boys Jesuit school for the past seven years ("What? Girls in my class??? :love:).

On the other hand, I also feel that our father/son relationship has grown considerably stronger over the past several years and I feel like I'm losing my good buddy. It's going to suck watching football on Sundays without him and busting each other's balls about our fantasy football teams. Or playing MLB the Show together on his PS4. Or just being able to have an "adult" talk between us. :sigh:

I also know that my wife is just going to melt down at some point. I think she has been suppressing her feelings since we got home and at some point, it's just going to all come out in a huge tsunami of emotion. She has been doing her best not to bother him during the day with texts or calls and has barely looked at Life360 to see where he is at all times. It's not a matter of if with her; it's just a matter of when, as she is going to have to deal with it at some point . Lord, give me strength!

Alright, that's all I can type on this subject for now. It's getting a little dusty in here.....

About to fight a dude. Traffic backed up on campus. All of us in one line heading to drop off. Kid is in front of me. Left a car length at an intersection. Some jack hole just came flying up the left lane and popped into that space we left for other traffic. Now the **** is just sitting in line like all of us. Half tempted to just go pound on his window

She has been doing her best not to bother him during the day with texts or calls and has barely looked at Life360 to see where he is at all times. It's not a matter of if with her; it's just a matter of when, as she is going to have to deal with it at some point . Lord, give me strength!
Life360 can be both a blessing and panic inducing. When our oldest went away to college last Fall, the first couple of weeks I would check it frequently to see where he was, make sure he was in class when he was supposed to be, etc.
Then came the night I checked it about midnight, and it showed him somewhere out in the middle of Lake Ontario. Granted it is a lakeside campus, but then I'm left thinking "did he slip and fall off the breakwater after a trip downtown", "did he steal a boat", etc. He wasn't thrilled when I texted him and asked where he was (in his dorm room). Gradually weaned myself off checking unless he was scheduled to come home, and I wanted to see if he had hit the road yet.

Like with the kids themselves, it all gets easier with time for the parents too.

About to fight a dude. Traffic backed up on campus. All of us in one line heading to drop off. Kid is in front of me. Left a car length at an intersection. Some jack hole just came flying up the left lane and popped into that space we left for other traffic. Now the **** is just sitting in line like all of us. Half tempted to just go pound on his window

:rant::boxing:

My oldest flew out of the house and I don't see getting him back without a catastrophe. My youngest? Yeah, I'm going to need a crowbar to get him out. I really want him to have to figure out general life without the parent crutch. And to make my household quieter. Probably mostly the second. But publicly I'll swear to the heavens on the first.

She has been doing her best not to bother him during the day with texts or calls and has barely looked at Life360 to see where he is at all times. It's not a matter of if with her; it's just a matter of when, as she is going to have to deal with it at some point . Lord, give me strength!
Life360 can be both a blessing and panic inducing. When our oldest went away to college last Fall, the first couple of weeks I would check it frequently to see where he was, make sure he was in class when he was supposed to be, etc.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My freshman year I made maybe half of my classes. The thought of my mother looking over me like that would have been terrifying. Love her to death, but there's a reason I went to a school 4 states away. Still made a 4.0.

It gets easier. Your life is transformed when they come into your life. It transforms again as they become adults and leave for school, military, where ever. My first is now done with school, second will be done next May and my third just entered her 2nd year. Closest was 7 hours away. Be proud of them, understand that not all lessons are taught in the classroom and that you giving them one of the greatest gifts to be given: The chance to focus on themselves for a little bit. College is pretty much the only time we ever get to be responsible solely to ourselves.

I was happy to pay for the storage locker over the summer for my daughter. She drove herself to school this year. I didn't have to drive down and her "stuff" back home last spring and make the return trip two weeks ago.

Just moved in daughter #3 this past Saturday.. Ann Arbor.. U of M..

We are all Spartan fans .. :bag:
One of my good buddies moved his youngest (my goddaughter) into UofM as well. I have like 6 years until I have to work myself through this stuff.... lol

Users who are viewing this thread