What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wednesday is the day..... College Move in (1 Viewer)

It's going to suck watching football on Sundays without him
That really hit home last night. We've spent so many nights this summer watching the Phillies on MLB League Pass. Last night they came back in the 9th to win on a bases-loaded single and jumped up and high-fived me. I had to force myself not to think of how that might be the last time we share that kind of moment for quite a while. At least baseball (and football) will be a good excuse to text him a bit once he lives, checking in without actually checking in, I guess. And he did ask if I would be able to share my login with him. Of course, I hope he has better things to at 4:00 pm west coast time most days than watch baseball.

One of mine is already done and the other just moved in for his senior year.

Now just be ready for the extended breaks. When they come home and you're really excited and it's cool but weird at first that they're home (you realize how much you got used to things without them), then pretty quickly everything feels right again for a while as you get used to them living there, and then they leave again and it's sad and weird that they're gone. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Be proud of them, understand that not all lessons are taught in the classroom and that you giving them one of the greatest gifts to be given: The chance to focus on themselves for a little bit. College is pretty much the only time we ever get to be responsible solely to ourselves.
@IrishTwinkie, I read your post to my wife, and after the above part, I could see the tears start welling up in her eyes before she wiped them away and said “I’m okay, I’m okay,” and abruptly changed the subject.

Oh, it’s going to hit hard…at some point.

Last edited:
About to strangle the wife. She is over helping with decorating. We brought too much crap..... I keep saying let her figure it out

Eta: my daughter is about to pop her also
“Let him figure it out” was repeated to my wife during the planning/packing phase a lot.

I just kept repeating, “Patience….you just need to show some patience with your mom” to my son with the understanding that soon enough, he will have to figure it out on his own because we won't be there to do it for him.

About to strangle the wife. She is over helping with decorating. We brought too much crap..... I keep saying let her figure it out

“Let him figure it out” was repeated to my wife during the planning/packing phase a lot.

I just kept repeating, “Patience….you just need to show some patience with your mom” to my son with the understanding that soon enough, he will have to figure it out on his own because we won't be there to do it for him.
Let her hang **** where she wants, let her setup her desk how she wants.... Then dirty look.... Then rage lol....we've been in this room for 2 hours lmao

It's magical

Her roommate unpacked in 30 minutes 😂

I've heard some real horror stories from move-in day for freshmen at big schools. Long lines, fighting for elevators, short tempers...try to stay calm. It's stressful for everybody.

We were VERY lucky - oldest got into the honor's program, so he had early move-in which is a huge blessing. 2nd has T1D so get a medical exemption (felt a little guilty about that one, but F it, he's dealt with diabetes for 8 years, he can get a few perks). Otherwise, with my temper in a confined space with my ex-wife moving them in with thousands of others might have been the end for me.

if your wife never finishes decorating or leaves then technically your daughter has never really gone away to college i have a feeling that is how that is working take that to the bank brochacho

Let her hang **** where she wants, let her setup her desk how she wants.... Then dirty look.... Then rage lol....we've been in this room for 2 hours lmao

It's magical

I also kept reminding my son that in a day or two, when we are gone, he can rearrange and do whatever the hell he wants with his room. Just stick it out for a while longer.

It's magical

Are you married to my wife!!??

Was less emotional only because daughter was trying to push my wife to leave lol.... It will hit soon

Be proud of them, understand that not all lessons are taught in the classroom and that you giving them one of the greatest gifts to be given: The chance to focus on themselves for a little bit. College is pretty much the only time we ever get to be responsible solely to ourselves.
@IrishTwinkie, I read your post to my wife, and after the above part, I could see the tears start welling up in her eyes before she wiped them away and said “I’m okay, I’m okay,” and abruptly changed the subject.

Oh, it’s going to hit hard…at some point.
Hopefully everything worked out. I've done it three times. Each time was hard, different each time, but always hard. That final break away is a killer. Trust me when I tell ya: They'll come back different. They may even surprise you when they utter something that shows they really were listening to you all that time.

My wife and I are still getting used to the empty nest.

This is me. It didn’t hit me until I pulled into the driveway. My wife and my youngest went in the house and I just balled in the truck.

Her entire life flashed before me. Just the other day I was washing her in the sink upstairs. She’s not coming home for awhile.

I’ll never complain about her little messes again.

:cry:
... or at least not until about a few weeks into next summer, if not winter break. ;)

We dropped child number 2 off on Monday. Child 1 and child 3 get dropped off this weekend, so we'll have an empty house for the first time in 21+ years. Mom has been in a rough state for the last couple of weeks. She stayed home with the kids for most of their childhood, and after the older two went away to school the youngest, who is a real homebody and a sweet kid, has spent a lot of quality time with her. So, it's going to be an adjustment being just the two of us again. The distances keep getting shorter at least : oldest is 6 hours away, middle 1 hour, youngest 30 minutes. Oldest is actually slated to finish in December, so we may get her back for a bit if she doesn't decide to go on to grad school.

It has been exactly 8 days since we moved our one and only son into his dorm in Raleigh NC.

Empty Nest.

It’s weird.......really weird. And quiet.

I am extremely excited.....yet jealous of him. I want to be 18 again......damn it!!!!

I told mine that I wish that I was young again and was there with here to experience it all. With a “(you know what I mean)” at the end.

A short poem i bookmarked a while back by Robert Hershon -

Sentimental Moment or Why Did the Baguette Cross the Road?​

Don't fill up on bread
I say absent-mindedly
The servings here are huge

My son, whose hair may be
receding a bit, says
Did you really just
say that to me?

What he doesn't know
is that when we're walking
together, when we get
to the curb
I sometimes start to reach
for his hand

—Robert Hershon

I am extremely excited.....yet jealous of him. I want to be 18 again......damn it!!!!

That was me when I moved my daughter into her dorm....the excitement of that time of life with the independence, the unknowns, the opportunities, the responsibility (which took awhile)........

It's incredible how much my shy kid with only a couple of close friends in HS has grown, matured, and branched out in the two years she's been at school. This summer she got a job and has stayed most of the time at her apartment instead of coming home to her mom's or my house, which is, admittedly for me, kind of a bummer. But I'm also so happy for her that she's already gotten to that point. And thank god for Facetime and a soon-to-be-20 year old that will still talk to me for an hour at a time several times a month.

That was me when I moved my daughter into her dorm....the excitement of that time of life with the independence, the unknowns, the opportunities, the responsibility (which took awhile)........

It's incredible how much my shy kid with only a couple of close friends in HS has grown, matured, and branched out in the two years she's been at school.
This summer she got a job and has stayed most of the time at her apartment instead of coming home to her mom's or my house, which is, admittedly for me, kind of a bummer. But I'm also so happy for her that she's already gotten to that point. And thank god for Facetime and a soon-to-be-20 year old that will still talk to me for an hour at a time several times a month.
This is what I'm really hoping for

This is me. It didn’t hit me until I pulled into the driveway.
Personally I think coming home to the house without the kid is worse than the physically goodbye at drop off. Something about the juxtaposition of leaving the house together but coming back with one less. :kicksrock:
We had friends who advised us to just close the kid's bedroom door. That way it was easier to pretend they were just out doing something and would be home soon. Stupid, naïve me said "phhft" and left the bedroom door open when we took my oldest to school... To prove that I had this on lock down, I walked into the room when we got back. Little did I know that my daughter had a) completely cleaned up her room before departing. First time it had been clean in months, with the run up to the move and everything her room had been a disaster zone. b) She had put this hand puppet rabbit on her pillow, facing the door as if waiting for her return. The puppet had been a massive part of bedtime routine, between me and her, when she was little. I had to turn around, close the bedroom and walk outta the house. I had totally lost it. :ROFLMAO: 5 years later I still give her grief about setting that trap.

For my last... my wife and I were in no hurry to face the empty house after drop off. We took a mini-vacation in OCMD to chill and try to come to terms with it all.

The house gets so quiet at times. It is heaven when they all come back. Those times pass way too quickly now. I will often tell younger parents not to blink. The days are long...the years are way too short.

So went to check on daughter to say good night. Her current location is in a house off campus not in a good neighborhood.

I'm fighting the urge to call. :oldunsure:

My son turned off his location at 3:38a this morning. :no:

Needless to say, my wife wasn’t very happy this morning when she went to check to see that he was safe in his dorm. I’ll give her credit, she has done a good job NOT checking every couple of hours however she does like to look in the morning to give herself peace of mind. She wasn’t pleased and my explanation of :suds::shrug: didn’t help the situation.

I feel for all of you whose kids are leaving the nest for the first time. I recall how difficult it was for my wife and me, particularly given our son is an only child. But it’s so amazing to see how much they grow when they launch. There were many difficult times to be sure, but our son, now a senior, has become the person we hoped he would become. And it’s amazing how much he enjoys our company now! And he doesn’t think we’re total squares who know nothing about the world! We’re about to meet him for dinner and we are so excited. There’s a great Mark Twain quote on the topic:

When I was seventeen I was convinced my father was a damn fool. When I was twenty-one I was astounded by how much the old man had learned in four years.

What do y'all think parents did before all this tech was on hand?
My first year of college, there was a freaking serial killer in Gainesville that murdered five students. International news at the time. My parents were 800 miles away. I'm guessing they were freaked out but I wouldn't know b/c I barely called them (long distance calls were freaking $ back then).

What do y'all think parents did before all this tech was on hand?
When I was freshman, there was no email, no texting, no social media to follow. Tried to call them once a week on Sundays, but that didn't always happen.

Of course when we were in grade/high school we didn't have those things either, and I'd be out of the house with no way for them to contact me from early morning to after dark during summer and on weekends, so they were likely used to it. Parents today are soft..lol.

This Sunday is a huge #8 FSU v. #5 LSU football game in Orlando (about the midpoint between Miami and Tallahassee). My son, who just started attending FSU this fall, ended up getting an extra ticket from his roommate so he will be heading down to Orlando by bus on Saturday. My wife casually suggested that we drive up to Orlando, about a 3.5-hour drive from Miami, and meet our son there for dinner. I figured that there was no way he would want Mom and Dad around, especially since he would stay with his roommate at his home in Orlando. Surprisingly enough, his response when my wife asked him was, "Yeah, sure, I guess. Whatever you want." o_O

In my mind, having that come from a 19-year-old boy was translated to me as an exuberant "Hell yeah, I miss you guys" because I just assumed he would say, "No, that's fine, you don't have to do that." I was even more surprised when he said he wanted to stay with us both nights. Granted, we are staying at a nice Marriott resort, and he would be dumb NOT to want to stay there, but I still figured he would stay at his roommate's place.

I think he really IS missing us....just a little bit....and not enough to say so at this point.

That makes me happy. And his mom is THRILLED that she's going to get to see her little boy.

Last edited:
So how often if any did you guys ask for your kids grades? End of semester? middle? not at all.

We have access if I call in but there is no online portal for me to check.....

Just curious

Divorced with only child and had joint custody of my son since he was two. He is a freshman - lives 12 hours away. He's been gone a month and it's been going well. I have kept in touch with him but given him a lot of space to do his thing and get acclimated.

Before he went to college, we had a spring trip to London where we could spend one on one time together before he headed off to college. Kids being kids one of his favorite things to do over there was enjoy the breakfast in our hotel each morning. They had a huge spread and he could pick out whatever food he wanted.

Today he randomly texts me and says - "They had those malted waffles that I ate everyday in London at our dining hall this morning. Man, did that bring back fun memories of our trip to London together." That one really hit me hard:cry: on a couple of different levels.

So how often if any did you guys ask for your kids grades? End of semester? middle? not at all.

We have access if I call in but there is no online portal for me to check.....

Just curious
I just keep reminding him he better get A's in the easy Gen Ed classes. Other than that, no idea.

I should probably ask my kids about their grades at some point....

Checking location on an 18 year old college student seems really weird to me. Like.....really weird.
17 ....and that was the first couple days. Just seeing if she was trying what her therapist told her over her social anxiety and leaving her dorm. Haven't done it since....but thanks

Last edited:
She had put this hand puppet rabbit on her pillow, facing the door as if waiting for her return. The puppet had been a massive part of bedtime routine, between me and her, when she was little. I had to turn around, close the bedroom and walk outta the house. I had totally lost it. :ROFLMAO: 5 years later I still give her grief about setting that trap.

Today he randomly texts me and says - "They had those malted waffles that I ate everyday in London at our dining hall this morning. Man, did that bring back fun memories of our trip to London together." That one really hit me hard:cry: on a couple of different levels.

This could be a spin-off thread. My daughter and I tent camped in the Boundary Waters, Rocky Mountain National Park, bottom of the Grand Canyon and various other annual trips to state parks and recreation areas.

She left for college a couple weeks early to go on a camping trip with her honors group. I got a text with a photo of the tent she setup and, "Ya know, this will be the first time I'll sleep in a tent without you." :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread