What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/21/18276040/comcast-flex-streaming-announced-features-pricing

I really don't know what any of this means. But I'm tired of paying Comcast as much as I am per month
I got sucked back in about a year and a half ago.  Dropped Comcast cable maybe three years ago and kept internet.  Received tv from OTA. Kodi and Amazon Prime.  Comcast offered me streaming and their X1 service.  Hooked the #### up to my 4k tv and found I was only getting SD.  An HD feed was going to cost more.  Shipment went back the next week. 

Anyone have CeeVoo?

Looks interesting but having just heard about it, know nothing about it.
I tried a couple of those flat plastic antennas you attach to a window or wall and they disappointed. I'd get a few channels really well and the rest were static. If you are in a city and close to broadcast towers it may do the trick for you, but if you are out in the 'burbs like me you may want to pay a little more for a metal antenna and put it on your roof or in the attic.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/21/18276040/comcast-flex-streaming-announced-features-pricing

I really don't know what any of this means. But I'm tired of paying Comcast as much as I am per month
No.  It's a weak attempt to get into streaming while holding onto an antiquated technology.  There is zero reason for cable tv with today's bandwidth on the internet.  More of their tired old tricks, their boxes, probably hidden rental fees, taxes.  F them.  Buy a fire tv for $50 and never go back with all streaming options available, even the free ones.  

I got sucked back in about a year and a half ago.  Dropped Comcast cable maybe three years ago and kept internet.  Received tv from OTA. Kodi and Amazon Prime.  Comcast offered me streaming and their X1 service.  Hooked the #### up to my 4k tv and found I was only getting SD.  An HD feed was going to cost more.  Shipment went back the next week. 
The hell of it is, I enjoy my Comcast cable, I have internet too. 

No problems. But it pisses me off to no end that I'm paying over $200 per month for  basically the same package that they advertise daily for new customers to get for $89 per month

I even get the ads in the ####### mail  🙄

####ers

No.  It's a weak attempt to get into streaming while holding onto an antiquated technology.  There is zero reason for cable tv with today's bandwidth on the internet.  More of their tired old tricks, their boxes, probably hidden rental fees, taxes.  F them.  Buy a fire tv for $50 and never go back with all streaming options available, even the free ones.  
$50 fire TV...idk what that means but I'll look into it

I have a fire stick :shrug:

$50 fire TV...idk what that means but I'll look into it

I have a fire stick :shrug:
I don't pay for anything other than internet and I don't miss anything that is out for tv shows and movies.  I can show you how. I get live local channels and stream live NFL. 

If you're not comfortable watching illegal streams the pay services recently mentioned in this thread start as low as $20 per month.  No contracts, hidden fees, rental fees, strings attached, none of that crap. 

Most people can get free local channels with a HD over the air antenna, like we used to watch tv before cable was invented. 

The stick is slow, but, if you're patient you can try all the above out on it for free.   All of the pay services have free 7 day trials.  When you decide to cut the cable you'd want to upgrade each tv to a fire or cube (better and faster versions of the stick).   

Ask questions as you go in this thread and we'll walk you through it. I have a guide I wrote, several pages long, but it's a bit out of date now.  

i enjoyed my Comcast as well, but grew tire of being screwed year after year.  I was $250 plus.  Yes, the new customers are offered $89/mo but then eventually  find themselves having to eventually cut premiuim channels. I grew tired of trying to chase loyalty points and just bailed.  

Repeating tony, I was not going to get sucked back into extra fees for HD feeds and equipment charges. And to clarify, I have fire tv, the 4k dongle, not the box.

i enjoyed my Comcast as well, but grew tire of being screwed year after year.  I was $250 plus.  Yes, the new customers are offered $89/mo but then eventually  find themselves having to eventually cut premiuim channels. I grew tired of trying to chase loyalty points and just bailed.  

Repeating tony, I was not going to get sucked back into extra fees for HD feeds and equipment charges. And to clarify, I have fire tv, the 4k dongle, not the box.
Even the new customer deals are a ripoff. They advertise that price but then they add DVR fees and rental fees for every box and taxes and it gets to be close to $200 before you're all said and done. Its all the fees that piss me off.

I need a recommendation to pick up HBO for a few months (you know why).  I have Hulu and Prime, so can go through either of those.  I don't need the live service, so could do their streaming service if that is cheaper.  Would appreciate any recommendations on the cheapest way to get access.  I will be streaming 4k through my Fire.

CletiusMaximus said:
I need a recommendation to pick up HBO for a few months (you know why).  I have Hulu and Prime, so can go through either of those.  I don't need the live service, so could do their streaming service if that is cheaper.  Would appreciate any recommendations on the cheapest way to get access.  I will be streaming 4k through my Fire.
Just got it through my Prime. Works well.

Your best bet for an HBO promo rate will be whatever streaming service you are subscribing to at the moment. I doubt you’ll find much right now though for obvious reasons. You’re probably looking at the full 14.99/mo and it just comes down to personal preference in terms of how you subscribe. 

Decided to stick with Philo. Best option I've come across to date in terms of channels/price/quality.

Dtv better get the Viacom situation resolved or they're going to lose a ####load of customers.  I imagine they'll work something out as they're still available on dtv despite deadline yesterday

Got offer of free month to return to dtv now. May consider to watch some of nba playoffs but their 'new packages" leave a lot to be desired for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to stick with Philo. Best option I've come across to date in terms of channels/price/quality.

Dtv better get the Viacom situation resolved or they're going to lose a ####load of customers.  I imagine they'll work something out as they're still available on dtv despite deadline yesterday

Got offer of free month to return to dtv now. May consider to watch some of nba playoffs but their 'new packages" leave a lot to be desired for me.
I had never heard of Philo, so I checked it out. Thinking it’s going to be an option soon. 

We had cut our cable to basic a few years back (for sports/local) and used PSVue to fill in (also have Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, though only paying for Amazon Prime). Then got sucked back into cable with a promo deal. Going to end soon and might go with Philo.

We can’t get much OTA, bought one of those 50 mile window antennas off Amazon, results were mostly poor, which is why I’ll probably hold onto the cheapest cable package.

Cutting the cable on Thursday.  Wife could never give up all the stations.

Currently have Netflx via an Xbox.  Any recommendations for a device upgrade (roku, firestick).  Thinking I'll need at least one device for an upstairs TV and another (at least as a backup for the older xbox)
If you use Alexa, the Fire TV is a no brainer. The ability to change channels without using the remote is  :moneybag:

I have the 4K fire TV box. Not sure if it’s still available new. Not sure how well the stick performs. I had the older fire stick first, and it was too slow honestly. So we upgraded. 
I read where the box is/was discontinued in favor of the stick (4k).  One would expect it to be improved.  There is also the recast... a DVR type device north of $200.

When I canceled, the cable company offered a streaming option for $30.  Wasn't horrible - sounded like a basic package with a choice of some extra channels (one premium).  No support for cloud storage though and not sure if this would be HD or not...

Hulu live just went from $45 to $50 a month.  I will be dropping them as soon as I find a suitable replacement.  Any suggestions?

I like YouTube TV the best.
That is who I went with.  They have all my locals plus a dedicated channel for OCSC games.  Only problem is I just got my wife used to Hulus setup.  Now I'm going to have to get her use to Youtube Tv.  She is even slower than I am to adapting to technology.

DropKick said:
When I canceled, the cable company offered a streaming option for $30.  Wasn't horrible - sounded like a basic package with a choice of some extra channels (one premium).  No support for cloud storage though and not sure if this would be HD or not...
I had Spectrum and they offered me the same package. I think they called it Spectrum Choice. It was the local channels and your choice of 10 additional channels from a choice of about 30 channels. Wasn't a bad deal if you didn't need a lot channels. Tried it for about a month but the app was absolutely horrendous. It never loaded and crashed countlessly EVERY night. Was unwatchable and I cancelled after about 1 week. Called service and kept getting the "our engineers are working on it". After doing a little bit of searching on the internet it sounds like the problem was ongoing and their "engineers were working on it" for a couple of years. Wouldn't touch it if they paid me for it.

That is who I went with.  They have all my locals plus a dedicated channel for OCSC games.  Only problem is I just got my wife used to Hulus setup.  Now I'm going to have to get her use to Youtube Tv.  She is even slower than I am to adapting to technology.
After the wife started flinging the remotes across the room I returned our Firestick and just bite the bullet on the Spectrum cable bill.

The hell of it is, I enjoy my Comcast cable, I have internet too. 

No problems. But it pisses me off to no end that I'm paying over $200 per month for  basically the same package that they advertise daily for new customers to get for $89 per month

I even get the ads in the ####### mail  🙄

####ers
 You can pry my X1 from my cold dead hands!!!

I had Spectrum and they offered me the same package. I think they called it Spectrum Choice. It was the local channels and your choice of 10 additional channels from a choice of about 30 channels. Wasn't a bad deal if you didn't need a lot channels. Tried it for about a month but the app was absolutely horrendous. It never loaded and crashed countlessly EVERY night. Was unwatchable and I cancelled after about 1 week. Called service and kept getting the "our engineers are working on it". After doing a little bit of searching on the internet it sounds like the problem was ongoing and their "engineers were working on it" for a couple of years. Wouldn't touch it if they paid me for it.
Started a Hulu trial.  Added Starz to their Hulu and Live TV package and am about $76 a month less than Cable.  Few stations but that's OK.  Setup from an Apple Computer was a snap.  I think I need one of the kids to navigate the Xbox set-up.  Probably spring for Fire Stick shortly

So Directv Now has an offer of the first month free.  This is for one of two packages that includes HBO - "Max" and "Plus".  So can I sign up for it, watch HBO free for the next month, and then cancel before the first charge hits? 

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.

I really like the new free CBS Sports HQ app for Apple TV (I think it’s available for Roku as well, plus browser streaming). Sometimes I just want a live Sportscenter-like highlights show, like Sportscenter used to be a few years ago, when it was actually just sports highlights and not all commentary. In the times I’ve turned this new app on in the past few days, it seems to fill that void pretty well. 
It also broadcast the Super Bowl for free.

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.
For a bunch of channels I will never ever watch. Meet the new boss...

It's only a matter of time before they reach cable prices. I thought it was fairly obvious they were starting off cheap to capture customers. 

Not paying for cable boxes and DVR fees is a step forward.  and the the additional fees and taxes on top of that.  I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for programming.  

Live in a rural area and picked up a discounted antennae that I placed near a TV on the second floor - pleased with the results.  Will look into a high quality antennae and consider an attic mount... Assume that would be preferable?  Hoping to pick up locals plus..  At worst, not a bad fail-safe in the event of a connectivity issue.

Philo. They have a $16 and a $20 package. 
Far and away the best service I've experienced. Think I've tried them all. Haven't experienced a single buffering and has nice DVR/VOD service. 

Obviously if need sports it might be an issue but DTV Now regularly offers free months to former customers if need access for NBA playoffs/NCAA tournament.

Right now I'm spending $18/mo for Philo/Hulu (paid $2 for year of access during promo late last year)/Pluto. Watching video on Youtube is my largest media viewing. Dropped DTV Now after the Viacom news.....appears they've add them back but they've already lost me after found Philo in the meantime. I'll probably add WWE Network and/or ESPN+ for a month here and there

Last edited by a moderator:
Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

WHat might be the cheapest and easiest way for local channels?

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.

Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

WHat might be the cheapest and easiest way for local channels?
Antenna is best.  If that doesn't work for you, you can look in to USTVNow.

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.
How has the quality been?

How has the quality been?
If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 

Users who are viewing this thread