What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s the possible conservative explanation for the recent dismantling of the USPS?!?!? (1 Viewer)

DeJoy, a North Carolina native, has played a prominent role in Republican politics, particularly since Trump won the presidency in 2016. He has given more than $2 million to the Trump campaign or Republican causes since 2016, according to the Federal Election Commission, including a $210,600 contribution to the Trump Victory Fund on Feb. 19. He has given more than $650,000 to the Trump Victory Fund and more than $1 million to the RNC.

DeJoy was tapped as the finance chairman for the RNC convention in August and has worked in recent months with Katie Walsh, a top Republican operative, to orchestrate the event.

DeJoy has donated more than $157,000 to Republican candidates, committees and super PACs since the start of the year, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Duncan, the current chairman of the Postal Service’s board of governors, served as RNC chairman from 2007 to 2009. He was confirmed in 2018 after being appointed by Trump.

DeJoy is the owner of a real estate and consulting firm in North Carolina after having served as chairman and CEO of New Breed Logistics, according to his family’s foundation page. New Breed was sold to XPO Logistics. He is a longtime donor to Republican causes, according to FEC records.

wapo

This reminds me of the Barr confirmation. In retrospect it's amazing DeJoy was confirmed. 

Trump just did this in May.

- These are the other RNC Finance co-chairmen:

• Elliott Brody
  • Steve Wynn
  • Michael Cohen
I might be wrong but DeJoy was the only one to not be investigated, removed or indicted due to corruption.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of this matters.

The guardrails that we have put up to keep government somewhat in check only matter if the Administration respects guardrails.  This administration has proven time, and time again, that they are not going to play by those rules, and they don't care.

The longer Trump has been in office, the more brazen he has become.  If Flynn were charged with lying to the VP, and FBI today - Trump would not ask for his resignation.

Stripping the USPS of its monopoly status would be fine.

Preserving its monopoly status while stripping it of its effectiveness seems like a particularly bad idea.
Doesn't seem very likely  that UPS, FedEx etc would have much interest in delivering first class mail to most of rural America. I'm under the impression a lot of the "last mile" deliveries for the other carriers are done by USPS. That last mile is probably the most expensive part of the process. 

If cutting costs is the reason for implementing the recent policies the Post Office could save a lot of money if they just stopped delievering  to zip codes that are unprofitable because population density and cost per letter/package are so much higher than in urban areas.  That wouldn't be a good idea, especially for people in rural areas, but it would cut costs.  There is a social value to being able to get delivery of mail  to any address.

The USPS could disappear today and it would save me a trip to the mailbox with a stop at my recycle bin on the way back to the house.

I cannot remember the last time I thought...."Oh darn, it's Sunday. No mail today."
Same here but I also recognize that many people live in rural areas and depend on USPS for medication and other needs. I also recognize that it is important for some people to vote by mail.

I've lived in frontier areas (think more rural than rural). The county seat/nearest polling place was an hour and a half drive away. In the mountains in November,  that's not feasible.  EVERYBODY voted by mail. You know what party that they overwhelmingly voted for?

I can only hope this comes back to bite the GOP in the ### bigly.

I've lived in frontier areas (think more rural than rural). The county seat/nearest polling place was an hour and a half drive away. In the mountains in November,  that's not feasible.  EVERYBODY voted by mail. You know what party that they overwhelmingly voted for?

I can only hope this comes back to bite the GOP in the ### bigly.
The Postmaster General probably has a "secret plan" to make sure zip codes that are likely to favor Trump get  high quality service in delivering absentee ballots. Zip codes that favor Democrats probably will have a lot of lost or destroyed ballots  due to "accidents".

I have cousin who loves Trump and a couple of years ago was fine if Russia helped Trump win as long as it kept Hillary from being elected President. I think many Trumpers would be fine if Trump was elected even it was obvious he cheated with voter suppression tactics. As long as it keeps Sleepy Joe from getting elected. For them it’s a lot of “it’s not how you play the game it’s whether you win or lose”

These giant drop boxes designated just for ballots. I’ll wager at some point someone lights one of these on fire.

The way this issue has become politicized only takes one lunatic.

I have cousin who loves Trump and a couple of years ago was fine if Russia helped Trump win as long as it kept Hillary from being elected President. I think many Trumpers would be fine if Trump was elected even it was obvious he cheated with voter suppression tactics. As long as it keeps Sleepy Joe from getting elected. For them it’s a lot of “it’s not how you play the game it’s whether you win or lose”
And that is about as anti-American as it comes. And they wondered for years why we laughed at them and supposed "patriotism," "class", whatever other delusional nonsense they thought they represented.

The bottom line is that every single American should be appalled by this. But some just aren’t or can’t show it. You’d get labeled as a RINO or then you’d must be in favor of every city in the country becoming a few block radius of Portland. Is there anything this guy could do to offend you? 

Just to echo Herb above, yeah elderly voters and rural and very red areas are heavily affected by this. That’s just one reason the GOP has a traditionally strong vote by mail game. Obviously blue constituencies will often want to avoid polls though in *this election. I really don’t know how this plays out. I do know there have been reports that some delivery times have been doubled or tripled. I also don’t think Trump understands the finer points of postal delivery, so this could very well work against him.

The Postmaster General probably has a "secret plan" to make sure zip codes that are likely to favor Trump get  high quality service in delivering absentee ballots. Zip codes that favor Democrats probably will have a lot of lost or destroyed ballots  due to "accidents".
My guess is Trump’s plan on this is to sue and contest election results in multiple states and get a court ruling in his favor delaying transition or even halting vote counting vis following Bush v Gore.

My guess is Trump’s plan on this is to sue and contest election results in multiple states and get a court ruling in his favor delaying transition or even halting vote counting vis following Bush v Gore.
This would probably lead to the largest protests in recent history. The nation might become paralyzed. 

I was going to write "It's not possible to get a court ruling that overturns the 20th Amendment," but then I realized that in today's climate, anything is possible.

The ship is sinking but it’s been for about 10 years or more. Covid is really killing service , people going out left and right .In my fiefdom  I have 4 employees on unemployment , employees who dont want to work in this mess . Being the summer with max compliment off for vacation and the quarantines most employees are working 60-70 hours and still about 5 routes a day aren’t delivered. Amazon and meds go out on those but the traditional mail stays in. It’s insane

The ship is sinking but it’s been for about 10 years or more. Covid is really killing service , people going out left and right .In my fiefdom  I have 4 employees on unemployment , employees who dont want to work in this mess . Being the summer with max compliment off for vacation and the quarantines most employees are working 60-70 hours and still about 5 routes a day aren’t delivered. Amazon and meds go out on those but the traditional mail stays in. It’s insane
Crazy man. Be safe. 

Not sure of the situation in your area but are you guys going to get crushed with mail-in stuff?

Crazy man. Be safe. 

Not sure of the situation in your area but are you guys going to get crushed with mail-in stuff?
It would be fine with a regular compliment .  We  were short staffed before covid hit , this has changed the game. In my opinion they need to widen the election period to account for delays in getting ballots out and back

Do you work for USPS?  I knew there was someone here who did but I didn’t think( or know) it was you.   @Man In The Box I thought you did for some reason?  

It would be fine with a regular compliment .  We  were short staffed before covid hit , this has changed the game. In my opinion they need to widen the election period to account for delays in getting ballots out and back
Is it not possible to hire more temps or address this now in some other way?  

In Florida, there is mandatory state-wide early voting for 8 days, Oct 24  - 31. In Miami-Dade, additional early voting will be done on Oct 19 - 23, and possibly on Nov 1. Quite a few locations are open for early voting. I think there are drive by drop boxes for VBM this year, during the early voting period, at most locations.

Just to echo Herb above, yeah elderly voters and rural and very red areas are heavily affected by this. That’s just one reason the GOP has a traditionally strong vote by mail game. Obviously blue constituencies will often want to avoid polls though in *this election. I really don’t know how this plays out. I do know there have been reports that some delivery times have been doubled or tripled. I also don’t think Trump understands the finer points of postal delivery, so this could very well work against him.
This is 100% anecdotal but all of my anti-Trump friends and colleagues that I've talked to are completely dedicated to voting in person this election. And its largely because of this sabotage. If this had not happened, they likely would have voted by mail, if possible.

Doesn't seem very likely  that UPS, FedEx etc would have much interest in delivering first class mail to most of rural America. I'm under the impression a lot of the "last mile" deliveries for the other carriers are done by USPS. That last mile is probably the most expensive part of the process. 

If cutting costs is the reason for implementing the recent policies the Post Office could save a lot of money if they just stopped delievering  to zip codes that are unprofitable because population density and cost per letter/package are so much higher than in urban areas.  That wouldn't be a good idea, especially for people in rural areas, but it would cut costs.  There is a social value to being able to get delivery of mail  to any address.
Just sent a package to southeast Oklahoma and the USPS had to take over for the UPS.  Using just UPS would have sent the cost from 23$ to 84$.

Is the USPS being dismantled?  Mine continues to work every day. This seems like a thread you’d see on a conspiracy site 
meh...."dismantled" is probably a bit of hyperbole.  There should be little question that he's attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy that mail in voting is a "problem" since it isn't on it's face.  There should be no question that shutting down sorting facilities, taking away the blue mailboxes used as drop off locations and choking of resources isn't a way to address the real problems (mainly the union's pension fund requirements) the USPS is facing.  There should also be no question around the veracity of those claiming that it's pure coincidence that he all of a sudden cares about the USPS and is just now (after 3.5 years of virtually no focus on the USPS) a problem he's choosing to address.  None of that is conspiracy IMO.

Is the USPS being dismantled?  Mine continues to work every day. This seems like a thread you’d see on a conspiracy site 
I think it’s better said that Trump thinks he loses if it’s easier for everyone to vote. Mail-in voting makes it easier for everyone to vote (why this isn’t in place already is pretty dumb). There will surely be issues with mail-in voting (just as there are with people pushing a touch screen, or hanging chads, or whatever way people vote) Trump gets to say he was right “look at the problems, I told you” and either have his out for why he loses or at worst drag out results and cloud the results.

Why isn’t the guy looking at this as an issue to fix? It’s August, they aren’t even mailing these out for 2 months. Hire more people? Start figuring out solutions, start educating people right now about what to do.

It’s because he wants the problem. He wants to see the USPS fail here. That’s his plan.

• Smile
Reactions: rct
meh...."dismantled" is probably a bit of hyperbole.  There should be little question that he's attempting to create a self fulfilling prophecy that mail in voting is a "problem" since it isn't on it's face.  There should be no question that shutting down sorting facilities, taking away the blue mailboxes used as drop off locations and choking of resources isn't a way to address the real problems (mainly the union's pension fund requirements) the USPS is facing.  There should also be no question around the veracity of those claiming that it's pure coincidence that he all of a sudden cares about the USPS and is just now (after 3.5 years of virtually no focus on the USPS) a problem he's choosing to address.  None of that is conspiracy IMO.
If Trump and the R’s are trying to affect the election by sabotaging the USPS, sure that’s a problem. 

But the problem with the media is that we don’t know if that’s true or not.  Many believe its 100% true at the outset, and then look for facts to prove their point.   That’s what happens with conspiracy theories.  

When you see a post on Twitter with mailboxes being removed and people freaking out about it, that’s promoting a nefarious conspiracy theory, unless it can be proven that this is being done to affect the ability for people to cast votes, and not as part of normal and  routine USPS activity.

Both sides will politicize this as much as they possibly can, so good luck getting straight facts from anyone.

If Trump and the R’s are trying to affect the election by sabotaging the USPS, sure that’s a problem. 

But the problem with the media is that we don’t know if that’s true or not.  Many believe its 100% true at the outset, and then look for facts to prove their point.   That’s what happens with conspiracy theories.  

When you see a post on Twitter with mailboxes being removed and people freaking out about it, that’s promoting a nefarious conspiracy theory, unless it can be proven that this is being done to affect the ability for people to cast votes, and not as part of normal and  routine USPS activity.

Both sides will politicize this as much as they possibly can, so good luck getting straight facts from anyone.
We absolutely know it's true. 

Trump admits he’s blocking postal cash to stop mail-in votes

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump frankly acknowledged Thursday that he’s starving the U.S. Postal Service of money in order to make it harder to process an expected surge of mail-in ballots, which he worries could cost him the election.

In an interview on Fox Business Network, Trump explicitly noted two funding provisions that Democrats are seeking in a relief package that has stalled on Capitol Hill. Without the additional money, he said, the Postal Service won’t have the resources to handle a flood of ballots from voters who are seeking to avoid polling places during the coronavirus pandemic.

“If we don’t make a deal, that means they don’t get the money,” Trump told host Maria Bartiromo. “That means they can’t have universal mail-in voting; they just can’t have it.”

Sure....can you think of any other logical reason why he'd be "taking action" NOW after 3.5 years.  I can't think of a time outside the present where he's even talked about the USPS.  I can't tell you what our media is saying about it.  All I know is that he's trying to shut down sorting stations, have blue drop off boxes removed and trying to take money away from the organization.  What I also know is the primary issue with the USPS is the pension program.  There's something like 600K people on the program.  Think about that for a second.  THAT is why they are struggling.  If you can tell me how shutting down sorting stations, removing delivery boxes and taking money away is addressing that issue, I'm all ears.

Sure....can you think of any other logical reason why he'd be "taking action" NOW after 3.5 years.  I can't think of a time outside the present where he's even talked about the USPS.  I can't tell you what our media is saying about it.  All I know is that he's trying to shut down sorting stations, have blue drop off boxes removed and trying to take money away from the organization.  What I also know is the primary issue with the USPS is the pension program.  There's something like 600K people on the program.  Think about that for a second.  THAT is why they are struggling.  If you can tell me how shutting down sorting stations, removing delivery boxes and taking money away is addressing that issue, I'm all ears.
Trump 2018

Trump has expressed interest in the postal service prior to the past 6 months.  

Is he removing delivery boxes in a way that is malicious and unusual?  Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is this really happening?  Or are people freaking out about something that is normal?  

A quick google search tells me that the USPS says this is routine.  So are we accusing them of lying here?  

Trump 2018

Trump has expressed interest in the postal service prior to the past 6 months.  
"expressed interest" is doing some major lifting here :lol:   

That was two years ago and not a single action since....until now.  Oh, and I know he brought it up during the primaries too.  I thought FOR SURE that's where you were going.

As far as the mailbox removal goes, I’ll give you my personal experience from what I’ve seen on my route and in my town. We were having issues with people throwing trash and fishing mail out of the old collection boxes, so they replaced all of ours with new models that only have a small slot for depositing letters. I don’t know if this is what’s happening in other parts of the country, but it could be part of the reason these pictures of trucks with collection boxes are popping up on the internet. 

Collection box removals have been pushed for 10+ years by L'Enfant Plaza. They want to push people to PO windows to up sell or leave mail in their own box to be collected by carriers , it’s all about cutting jobs over customer service  

A lot boxes today that are being picked up are replaced with these
Yes, these. I should have posted a link, thanks. 

As far as the mailbox removal goes, I’ll give you my personal experience from what I’ve seen on my route and in my town. We were having issues with people throwing trash and fishing mail out of the old collection boxes, so they replaced all of ours with new models that only have a small slot for depositing letters. I don’t know if this is what’s happening in other parts of the country, but it could be part of the reason these pictures of trucks with collection boxes are popping up on the internet. 
Until someone gives me a good reason to believe differently, It seems like a conspiracy theory to believe that Trump is “removing mailboxes” to sabotage the election. 

Users who are viewing this thread