What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do YOU want for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

New board games to play with the family

For the first time I think ever, I actually asked for a gift card. To my favorite restaurant.

For my wife and I to actually take some time and plan / forecast the next five years financially. I’ve become more inclined to buy a vacation house around that time but I’ll need her to be on board increasing our savings. Even if we decide not to do it, it will provide good options. But we also have other expenses on the horizon.

And a blue dot.

Starting in January my wife stops paying for my oldest to get her nails done. That will save me an embarrassing amount of money. That’s enough of a gift for me

I’m going to get a few shirts and a rifle.
Wife is getting a new touchscreen for her 2010 Ford Edge that she doesn’t want to upgrade. God bless her heart.

Oldest wants some fancy curling iron.

Youngest is getting a nice record player/speakers

Talk to me about these Blackstone griddles. I think that is what I want.
my father has one and is looking to get rid of it. He enjoyed it but in his opinion, it just didn't cook things like steaks and burgers like a traditional BBQ. For all the things he could do on the BS, he could do on a traditional BBQ AND get the grilling taste he was used to for the things he likes. But unfortunately, he doesn't have the space for both, so he's replacing the BS with a BBQ grill.

moral of the story, they are very cool, but be careful trying to replace a traditional BBQ gill if you really like grilling—or at least have space for both.

my father has one and is looking to get rid of it. He enjoyed it but in his opinion, it just didn't cook things like steaks and burgers like a traditional BBQ. For all the things he could do on the BS, he could do on a traditional BBQ AND get the grilling taste he was used to for the things he likes. But unfortunately, he doesn't have the space for both, so he's replacing the BS with a BBQ grill.

moral of the story, they are very cool, but be careful trying to replace a traditional BBQ gill if you really like grilling—or at least have space for both.
Can't you also just put a griddle on a traditional grill?

As for me, I'm getting a pellet smoker/grill, a RT-340 from Recteq. Family members have Recteq's and swear by them. I'm planning to grill and smoke on it. Should be delivered any day now. I like the idea that it can in theory run from 180 - 700. Going to have a fun for two weeks playing with it before doing something for Christmas dinner.

I asked for new iPad from wife (current one is about 6 years old and probably time to retire).

Other than that, Amazon gift cards for books throughout the year. The only book I’ve specifically mentioned is Barbara Kingsolver’s new one.

Yeah - for what I would be planning to use it for I couldn’t use a BBQ grill. I have a grill and a smoker but want to do things like breakfast, smash burgers, hibachi and fajitas. Poke’s comment about a griddle over my existing grill isn’t a bad idea but I’m a FBG, I can afford both.

Yeah - for what I would be planning to use it for I couldn’t use a BBQ grill. I have a grill and a smoker but want to do things like breakfast, smash burgers, hibachi and fajitas. Poke’s comment about a griddle over my existing grill isn’t a bad idea but I’m a FBG, I can afford both.
For me it's about the space. Wife gets antsy if there's more than 2 'grills' on the back patio. That's why I'm looking to use one item in multiple ways. Even tho I do most of the cooking and the wife loves everything I 'grill' it's about the aesthetics.

I'm with you.....those are exactly the things I want to make, but I just dont have the space. Dad offered me his BS for free but I just dont have the room on the deck for both.

For me it's about the space. Wife gets antsy if there's more than 2 'grills' on the back patio. That's why I'm looking to use one item in multiple ways. Even tho I do most of the cooking and the wife loves everything I 'grill' it's about the aesthetics.
I think they make a portable BS that's smaller. I thought about that one and setting it up on a table outside only when I needed it.

I'm with you.....those are exactly the things I want to make, but I just dont have the space. Dad offered me his BS for free but I just dont have the room on the deck for both.

Yeah, I get it. I've been thinking about building an outdoor "kitchen" on the cheap thinking about framing up around the grill, smoker and add the blackstone. I have the space under my deck to do it - just not sure how difficult it will be and the cost.

Yeah, I get it. I've been thinking about building an outdoor "kitchen" on the cheap thinking about framing up around the grill, smoker and add the blackstone. I have the space under my deck to do it - just not sure how difficult it will be and the cost.
well this is odd....I put the listing on FB marketplace for my dad's BS grill back in September w/o gaining a simple bite.

Just now I got a very serious inquiry about it. Odd how today in replying to your post was the 1st time I've so much as thought about it since originally posting it for sale lol

'It's a Christmas Miracle!!!"

If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.

If I had two wishes I could make this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace. And the second would be for 30 million dollars a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account.

You know, if I had three wishes I could make this holiday season, the first, of course, would be for all the children of the world to get together and sing, the second would be for the 30 million dollars every month to me, and the third would be for encompassing power over every living being in the entire universe.

And if I had four wishes that I could make this holiday season, the first would be the crap about the kids definitely, the second would be for the 30 million, the third would be for all the power, and the fourth would be to set aside one month each year to have an extended 31-day orgasm, to be brought out slowly by Rosanna Arquette and that model Paulina-somebody, I can't think of her name. Of course my lovely wife can come too and she's behind me one hundred percent here,

I guarantee it.

Wait a minute, maybe the sex thing should be the first wish, so if I made that the first wish, because it could all go boom tomorrow, then what do you got, y'know?

No, no, the kids, the kids singing would be great, that would be nice.

But wait a minute, who am I kidding? They're not going to be able to get all those kids together. I mean, the logistics of the thing is impossible, more trouble than it's worth! So -- we reorganize!

Here we go.

First, the sex thing. We go with that.
Second, the money.
No, we got with the power second, then the money.
And then the kids.
Oh wait, oh jeez, I forgot about revenge against my enemies!
Okay, I need revenge against all my enemies, they should die like pigs in hell!
That would be my fourth wish.
And, of course, my fifth wish would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace.
Thank you everybody and Merry Christmas.

I have a flattop insert for my bbq (replaces 2 racks when I want to use it) and that works like a champ. Use it for smash burgers or when cooking breakfast for a group. Then take it out and store it until next use. Best of both worlds imo.

Meh… I am happy with the possessions I/we have. Rarely buy things for myself… actually trying to purge.

food related items

just got a new tv

Thinking about a newer car.

really, just want more time with friends and family

Due to an accident, just got wife a new (used) car.

I am looking,but need to get some superficial things done to sell mine.

#1 thing is more work/life balance. I am exhausted….. need time off

Wife got me one, it was supposed to be a surprise but she said she got me something and I kept guessing and when I guessed blackstone her expression gave it away. Also it came like a day later when I was WFH and she was at work

I’m a charcoal guy (BGE) but I had talked about getting one, it’ll definitely get used and looking forward to doing things like smash burgers, cheesesteaks, fried rice, breakfast but wasn’t something I needed. I can probably make use for doing some sides and stuff when I am smoking stuff on the egg too

Wife got me one, it was supposed to be a surprise but she said she got me something and I kept guessing and when I guessed blackstone her expression gave it away. Also it came like a day later when I was WFH and she was at work

I’m a charcoal guy (BGE) but I had talked about getting one, it’ll definitely get used and looking forward to doing things like smash burgers, cheesesteaks, fried rice, breakfast but wasn’t something I needed. I can probably make use for doing some sides and stuff when I am smoking stuff on the egg too

I did end up getting one today - excited to try it out. I think I’ll use it as much as I use my grill just due to the eating habits of my family.

I did end up getting one today - excited to try it out. I think I’ll use it as much as I use my grill just due to the eating habits of my family.
I got one too. Complete surprise. I have been hinting at them for a couple of years.

I’ll be slinging some major hash this year for sure,.

Meh… I am happy with the possessions I/we have. Rarely buy things for myself… actually trying to purge.

food related items

just got a new tv

Thinking about a newer car.

really, just want more time with friends and family

Due to an accident, just got wife a new (used) car.

I am looking,but need to get some superficial things done to sell mine.

#1 thing is more work/life balance. I am exhausted….. need time off

wonderful peaceful weekend with dinner at friends' on saturday. Closer friend owns his own wine distribution company. specializes in old, rare, CA. Our other friend does the same but specializes in French wines. He brought the main (smoked pork shoulder), good vouray, excellent white Bordeaux and pinot. Fun night

My job for another year. If someone could ensure that, it’s all I need.
Well, that didn't quite work out as planned. Got let go on 12/14. Merry Christmas!

Thankfully I received a decent severance that won't require me to jump right back into the market in the new year. Going to take my time, work my network and find something that I like to do for a company that I want to work for. Already have a few potential leads.

Considering these opportunities don't come across very often (and yes, I am calling it an opportunity) in one's career, I'm going to take complete advantage to ensure that I find the right role and that the next 10 years until I plan on retiring are lucrative, enjoyable, and relatively stress-free.

My job for another year. If someone could ensure that, it’s all I need.
Well, that didn't quite work out as planned. Got let go on 12/14. Merry Christmas!

Thankfully I received a decent severance that won't require me to jump right back into the market in the new year. Going to take my time, work my network and find something that I like to do for a company that I want to work for. Already have a few potential leads.

Considering these opportunities don't come across very often (and yes, I am calling it an opportunity) in one's career, I'm going to take complete advantage to ensure that I find the right role and that the next 10 years until I plan on retiring are lucrative, enjoyable, and relatively stress-free.
good luck!

Didn't really want to start a new thread, but how do people handle disproportionate Christmas gifts? For starters, we always host Christmas, and we usually have a drawer with some extra gift cards tucked away in case anyone shows up unexpectedly, we forgot a gift for someone, or we need to come up with something last minute. We always give something to anyone that stops over (in addition to feeding them and letting them drink our alcohol).

But there were some really awkward moments this year . . . way more than other years. For example, spent hundreds of dollars on a couple and in return they gave me a pair of socks. Bought someone else an iPad and got back a gag gift. Several people I spend $200+ on didn't even give a gift in return. I don't care that much about spending more on people than people spend on me / us . . . but to either grab a $5-10 gift at the gas station on the way over or not give anything at all seems rude.

Since the same people will be over next year, not really sure how to handle this (and can't really bring it up to anyone as there are friends and family involved). Any suggestions? Give them a $20 gift card next year? Not get them anything? What if they then pony up for a real gift next year? Just an odd situation all around.

Didn't really want to start a new thread, but how do people handle disproportionate Christmas gifts? For starters, we always host Christmas, and we usually have a drawer with some extra gift cards tucked away in case anyone shows up unexpectedly, we forgot a gift for someone, or we need to come up with something last minute. We always give something to anyone that stops over (in addition to feeding them and letting them drink our alcohol).

But there were some really awkward moments this year . . . way more than other years. For example, spent hundreds of dollars on a couple and in return they gave me a pair of socks. Bought someone else an iPad and got back a gag gift. Several people I spend $200+ on didn't even give a gift in return. I don't care that much about spending more on people than people spend on me / us . . . but to either grab a $5-10 gift at the gas station on the way over or not give anything at all seems rude.

Since the same people will be over next year, not really sure how to handle this (and can't really bring it up to anyone as there are friends and family involved). Any suggestions? Give them a $20 gift card next year? Not get them anything? What if they then pony up for a real gift next year? Just an odd situation all around.

How was this handled last year? You said you host every year. Are they family? Friends?

We’re gonna need more backstory on why you thought it was appropriate to spend hundreds of dollars on them.

Are the folks you bought for family? If so, spend what you want to on them without expectation of return. If you feel it was awkward for them then maybe let them know there’s no expectation on your end.

How was this handled last year? You said you host every year. Are they family? Friends?

We’re gonna need more backstory on why you thought it was appropriate to spend hundreds of dollars on them.
Most of the people involved are immediate family (some on either side). The way things worked in the past, each person / couple would spend a similar amount on us as we did on them (for adults). Sometimes the cost of things varied a little (say for gifts for kids). But this year, people that were aligned for years seemed to veer from the norm. They still gave similar presents / spent similar amounts on other family members, just not for me / us. I doubt it was a money thing, as several of the people got promoted or recently switched to much higher paying jobs.

Some people commented that they didn't know what to get me / us (and thus didn't get anything) and commented that we were way too generous with what I/we gave them this year. Of course, I said it didn't really matter and it was good to see them and have the family together. This sets up an awkward 2023 holiday, as I am inclined to get a much smaller gift for these folks next year (and on their side, they could get a more expensive gift next year . . . or still not give anything). It's not like I am going to go bonkers over a gift from someone, but I thought it was odd that multiple people did similar things and took a similar approach. It's not like I am going to have them over next year and tell them they can only drink tap water because they didn't get us a present this year. Basically, it is what it is . . . and what it is is odd.

Are the folks you bought for family? If so, spend what you want to on them without expectation of return. If you feel it was awkward for them then maybe let them know there’s no expectation on your end.
I think part of it is the opposite of what you are suggesting. Some of the family members involved are very well off . . . retired early, own multiple houses, spend a lot of the year traveling to exotic places, etc. They have always been generous and spent a lot on gifts. All along we reciprocated and bought them some nice items in return. Who knows, maybe they gave more stuff to my wife that I am not aware of, but they would normally give us individual gifts. I am going to continue to see family regardless of whether they dole out presents, but it just seemed out of character for them to go in a different direction this time around.

In addition to the Blackstone I got this:

Initial thoughts/reviews in case anybody cares:

• Blackstone - was able to replicate Japanese hibachi pretty damn well last night for the family. I was able to make a meal that would normally run us $200 for probably about $75 and that's only because I used some leftover tenderloins. Could have just done chicken and probably had it around $40-50. Doing a big family breakfast, I think NYE. This thing will pay for itself by cutting out some eating out
  • Ember mug - two issues I have with it. 1. It only holds 10 oz. and I drink my coffee quickly so that's a pain. I usually make 16 oz. 2. It was a little weird with the heating during my 2nd usage. Seemed to be spotty in the basement which seemed weird as it uses Bluetooth. Maybe just a coincidence. Jury still out on this one.
  • Whiskey wedge glasses - worked just as expected. Only a set of 2 so will have to refill and freeze after each use. Somewhat a novelty but I liked it and will use them on occasion
  • Cocktail smoker - still haven't used it.

• Blackstone

I was putting mine together the other night, and I plan on seasoning it tomorrow.

I noticed in reading the directions in the manual it said to repeat the seasoning process 3-4 times. When you did this did you keep the heat on high and just add another layer of oil, and then repeat? Or did you let it cool down, turn it up again, and start the process all over again?

I don't want to screw this part up.

• Blackstone

I was putting mine together the other night, and I plan on seasoning it tomorrow.

I noticed in reading the directions in the manual it said to repeat the seasoning process 3-4 times. When you did this did you keep the heat on high and just add another layer of oil, and then repeat? Or did you let it cool down, turn it up again, and start the process all over again?

You still smoking ribs from time to time?
I miss those old threads from the old place

• Blackstone

You still smoking ribs from time to time?
I miss those old threads from the old place
Still do from time to time. Maybe once or twice a year. As I’ve gotten older my body doesn’t tolerate smoked pork as well as it did when I was younger. So when I do make ribs its usually for family or a special occasion. Or if I really want some smoked beans. I’ll cook those all day under the ribs. So damn good.

But I still use the same old barrel smoker I used back in those days. She still churns out some good food.

• Blackstone

Sorry, I was in the penalty box the last few days.

I started the process all over. Couple of tips after having done in now.

• Definitely don’t skip seasoning (duh) and do it 4-5 times before your first cook
  • I didn’t do this but read a couple folks say it - make your first cook a bunch of onions (don’t do bacon). Put some oil down and spread them all over. Even if you don’t want grilled onions
  • Clean it before seasoning
  • Get the temp really hot to season but I read a couple people had issue with warping so maybe gradually increase heat during this
  • Get it all the way in to the corners and the sides
  • Somewhat obvious but clean up right after if you can while it’s hot and easy to scrap. I keep a water bottle next to it to immediately start getting the junk off.
  • I’ve been letting it cool down, although not completely, and then putting a small layer of oil on it. Gets it ready for the next cook.
I’ve done hibachi, big breakfast, steaks and smash-burgers so far. All pretty easy but I’m still learning. Wife is enjoying me cooking more 😂

A few days before Christmas I gifted my brother and his 3 adult children courtside seats for the UConn Georgetown game. My nephew badgered Georgetown’s Akok Akok for about 10 minutes asking him what he wanted for Christmas. He never did say.

Users who are viewing this thread