What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is James Conner’s value if Bell holds out or is traded? (1 Viewer)

When did waivers process?  If the Bell owner didn't put in a bid for him given the information we have now, I doubt he'd trade someone for him when he could have gotten him simply with a decent blind bid.
The first waivers is on Thursday morning and then each morning up to Sunday.  No free players, all have to be paid for- starting at $3.

Well, that's the response of a child & someone who cannot have a legit discussion. Good day.
Thanks for the lecture. I wasn’t the one who called you Ms anything, but I don’t take this stuff personally. No offense was intended and I hope you have a good day as well

So I ended up getting Conner with my bid of $11, nobody else even put a bid in for him. I thought the Bell owner would put in a decent size bid. So now- I'm thinking I'd really like to trade him to the Bell owner for a WR. My WR's are not very good. Is R. Anderson to much or not enough to ask for? How about Theilan or D. Thomas? Or should I just hold onto him? I will probably never start him, unless he turns into a #1 RB. I have Gordon, Fournette, Burkhead, and Jamaal Williams. 10 team, non ppr. Start 2 RB, 2WR, no flex.
I outbid several owners on him for $15, including the Bell owner who didn't think Bell would actually hold out this week. I was offered B Cooks for him by the Bell owner. 14 teams, non-PPR. He's strong at WR but no depth at all at RB behind Bell so some desperation there and he considers Cooks his WR4.

Anyone with an opinion on his dynasty value? I can get a 2020 2nd for him, wondering if I should get out while I can get something.

Chaka said:
Let me state categorically that I think the Steelers have one of the top 3-5 offensive lines in the league with an easily defensible argument that they are the best.  Any RB you plug into that offense is primed for big success and would have to be truly horrible to flop in this offense.  I think Conner is in line for a big year as long as Bell is out.

But how do we know he is a 3 down back?  You said that twice but I see a guy with 30 total receptions in 39 college games (only one target, zero receptions in 14 games as a pro). I get that Pitt may not have utilized their RBs in the passing game much but that seems like very little information to go on to say that he is definitely a 3 down back.  He could be a 2 down (plus short yardage goal line guy) and the rookie TE/FB may be the preferred option in the passing game.  The guy caught 201 passes in 39 college games.  He's also not small at 5'11", 228 lbs so he could be an option on short yardage stuff (or Shanahan style sneak the FB out into the flat near the goal line stuff).

Just saying that while I think Conner is in line for a good year I don't think we should expect him to be a full time replacement for Bell and even if he got every single Bell opportunity, which he won't, I have difficulty seeing him being as good with those opportunities as Bell has been.
I think Connor will be a good performer while Bell is holding out.  But he is not Leveon Bell so don't expect him to be a top 5 in the league type back.  As far as being a three down back.  He caught 6 passes in his last preseason game and looked pretty good doing it.

I think the sneaky beneficiaries of a Bell holdout (especially in a PPR league) will be their WR's (Smith - Schuster and Brown) as they will have to throw the ball more to move the ball.

Still think Bell's holdout will not go too deep in the season, but who knows what will really happen.  Not that easy to give up 900k per game.

All we know we with any level certainty is Connor is looking like the starter in week 1.

I think Connor will be a good performer while Bell is holding out.  But he is not Leveon Bell so don't expect him to be a top 5 in the league type back.  As far as being a three down back.  He caught 6 passes in his last preseason game and looked pretty good doing it.

I think the sneaky beneficiaries of a Bell holdout (especially in a PPR league) will be their WR's (Smith - Schuster and Brown) as they will have to throw the ball more to move the ball.

Still think Bell's holdout will not go too deep in the season, but who knows what will really happen.  Not that easy to give up 900k per game.

All we know we with any level certainty is Connor is looking like the starter in week 1.
I am not saying he can't catch or anything but I am also not putting much stock in 30 college receptions and a preseason games.  He'll probably be fine in that area but I consider it to still be an undecided issue.

Just traded Conner to the Bell owner for Kelce.  (I was starting Doyle otherwise).  Not sure if I made the right move, as I'm a bit thin at RB.  But I figured this could be a sell-high opportunity right now, and I'd rather take the bird in the hand with Kelce than the speculative upside with Conner.  So here you have one data point on Conner's current trade value.

This is not a dynasty league, but it is a keeper league.  Kelce has no keeper value for next year; Conner would be a great keeper if he performs (and assuming Bell is somewhere else nxt year).

Connor is a lottery ticket, though one which has the advantage it likely either pays off or craps out in the next week or two, freeing up the roster spot.
If you can get him late in a draft (at a point where everyone is a gamble) or cheap in FA he's surely worth a hold for a week or two to see what develops.  But odds are, he has one week's real value at this point.

I'm in need of some guidance here on a trade offered to me and any input would be greatly appreciated.

It's a 14-team Yahoo keeper PPR league with an auction-style draft ($200 budget minus keeper $). We have up to three keepers in which they would cost an additional $5 over the previous season acquisition amount. However, we also have an option where you can restrict a player and what happens is that player is thrown into a separate auction draft before the main draft and the other owners make their bids with the original owner having the option to either let the player go (for whatever the bid comes to) or keep him for $1 over the price the player fetches in the restricted draft.

My RBs are Barkley ($91 next season keeper price, likely around $70-80 if restricted), Drake, Powell, L. Murray, Gore
My WRs: Jeffrey, Gordon, R. Matthews, Richardson Jr

His RBs: Conner ($6 keeper price), A. Morris, Riddick, Ekeler, Sproles
His WRs: OBJ, Brown, A Cooper ($36 keeper price), Dede Westbrook ($8 keeper price)

Here's the offer: Conner, Amari Cooper and Westbrook for Barkley

He says his offer is good because without Bell in the mix Conner is potentially a lower RB1/high RB2 (low keeper price) and Cooper is poised for a big rebound (will still be worth keeper price).

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Just traded Conner to the Bell owner for Kelce.  (I was starting Doyle otherwise).  Not sure if I made the right move, as I'm a bit thin at RB.  But I figured this could be a sell-high opportunity right now, and I'd rather take the bird in the hand with Kelce than the speculative upside with Conner.  So here you have one data point on Conner's current trade value.

This is not a dynasty league, but it is a keeper league.  Kelce has no keeper value for next year; Conner would be a great keeper if he performs (and assuming Bell is somewhere else nxt year).
Don't care what the league dynamics are, you made a great move there.

You fleeced the hell out of them. 

Huh, good idea. I just offered Conner for Kelce as well.

The main obstacle may be that the Bell owner pays so little attention that Bell is still in his starting lineup.

Huh, good idea. I just offered Conner for Kelce as well.

The main obstacle may be that the Bell owner pays so little attention that Bell is still in his starting lineup.
Wrong play.  You just called his attention to the situation.

Should have waited till Tuesday, let him see that giant 0.0 next to Bell with the big red “O” and THEN let him see your Conner for Kelce offer...

drm1125 said:
So I ended up getting Conner with my bid of $11, nobody else even put a bid in for him. I thought the Bell owner would put in a decent size bid. So now- I'm thinking I'd really like to trade him to the Bell owner for a WR. My WR's are not very good. Is R. Anderson to much or not enough to ask for? How about Theilan or D. Thomas? Or should I just hold onto him? I will probably never start him, unless he turns into a #1 RB. I have Gordon, Fournette, Burkhead, and Jamaal Williams. 10 team, non ppr. Start 2 RB, 2WR, no flex.
My advice is to hold on and let him gain more value

Brown's.   Good stats

Chiefs....defense is decimated

Bucs.....no Winston, doesn't really matter.    Good stats

After week 3, his value will double

I will also add, I don't own bell in any of my 7 dynasties, but I own Conner in 5 of them

My thoughts are that the Steelers are tired of the being held hostage, not an org. To eff arojnd with.    Remember how Ben got in line after being a predator?

The other thjjng.....i like Conner.   A lot.    Have liked him since he came into the league.    Just his ability to over come cancer and then his injury in college won me over.

I also notice a difference in his body from last year.   He looks like he made a similar transition body wise that bell made after his first year.

Up to you on trading him, but his first 3 weeks will take his value higher.

I am in for the longg run.....heavily invested obviously

My advice is to hold on and let him gain more value

Brown's.   Good stats

Chiefs....defense is decimated

Bucs.....no Winston, doesn't really matter.    Good stats

After week 3, his value will double

I will also add, I don't own bell in any of my 7 dynasties, but I own Conner in 5 of them

My thoughts are that the Steelers are tired of the being held hostage, not an org. To eff arojnd with.    Remember how Ben got in line after being a predator?

The other thjjng.....i like Conner.   A lot.    Have liked him since he came into the league.    Just his ability to over come cancer and then his injury in college won me over.

I also notice a difference in his body from last year.   He looks like he made a similar transition body wise that bell made after his first year.

Up to you on trading him, but his first 3 weeks will take his value higher.

I am in for the longg run.....heavily invested obviously
This guy gets it.  Now is not the time to sell in dynasty.  If you're a contender, you're either hoping for Bell to get traded, or sit out until week 10.  If it's the former, you're probably not selling.  If it's the latter, you sell to a bad team right around the time Bell comes back.

I noticed that body transformation too.  Hes noticably leaner and more chiseled.  Appeared quicker in the preseason to my eye than his college tape shows too.

The General said:
Conner owner here. Probably won't make an offer to the Bell owner right now because I think they'll reject what I want. Looking forward to seeing what people get for him. Please post trades and the scenario. 
14 team, standard, redraft...start 1 RB, 3 WR, and one Flex WR/RB

Conner was my waiver wire pickup last week. He was my 5th RB.

I traded Conner to the Bell owner and received Golden Tate in return. I asked for Diggs (of course always ask for more than you think you're going to get), he countered with Garcon, and we settled on Tate. Tate will now be my #2 WR (unless you think Corey Davis or Kupp are better.)

Could I have held out for more? Sure....but if Bell reports tomorrow or Saturday, my leverage drops immediately. I'm pretty happy with the trade.

14 team, standard, redraft...start 1 RB, 3 WR, and one Flex WR/RB

Conner was my waiver wire pickup last week. He was my 5th RB.

I traded Conner to the Bell owner and received Golden Tate in return. I asked for Diggs (of course always ask for more than you think you're going to get), he countered with Garcon, and we settled on Tate. Tate will now be my #2 WR (unless you think Corey Davis or Kupp are better.)

Could I have held out for more? Sure....but if Bell reports tomorrow or Saturday, my leverage drops immediately. I'm pretty happy with the trade.
That’s a good trade for you I think. Doubt the guy in my league will go for it, equivalent would be asking for D Thomas which I thought about. 

If he hasn’t shown and Conner looks ok I’ll send it out. 

I’m just not buying he is willing to flush 8-9 mil.

I am not saying he can't catch or anything but I am also not putting much stock in 30 college receptions and a preseason games.  He'll probably be fine in that area but I consider it to still be an undecided issue.
You're not wrong that people may be jumping the gun a bit on him being a 3 down back, but the 30 receptions in 39 games thing is a little misleading as his role in the passing game increased throughout his college career.  21 receptions in his final season is pretty solid in college.  And yes it's preseason but it definitely seemed like they were giving him a tryout as a receiver there and he seemed to pass it.

I do agree with you though that it is a risk that's being overlooked somewhat.

The General said:
Conner owner here. Probably won't make an offer to the Bell owner right now because I think they'll reject what I want. Looking forward to seeing what people get for him. Please post trades and the scenario. 
Offered Conner and Fitz for AJ.  Then another of Mixon for Bell 

owner is in trouble without Bell

might as well shoot for the moon 

You're not wrong that people may be jumping the gun a bit on him being a 3 down back, but the 30 receptions in 39 games thing is a little misleading as his role in the passing game increased throughout his college career.  21 receptions in his final season is pretty solid in college.  And yes it's preseason but it definitely seemed like they were giving him a tryout as a receiver there and he seemed to pass it.

I do agree with you though that it is a risk that's being overlooked somewhat.
Jordan Howard has caught 29 & 23 passes iver the past two seasons and everyone hates him as a receiver.

And, frankly if you look at his game logs he had one horrible game vs the Giants (8 targets 1 reception) and has been, in the worst analysis, average at worst in 31 other games (69% rate, 7.7 ypr). But no one is having any of that now, are they?

So, again, I don't think we can say much about Conner just yet.

Jordan Howard has caught 29 & 23 passes iver the past two seasons and everyone hates him as a receiver.

And, frankly if you look at his game logs he had one horrible game vs the Giants (8 targets 1 reception) and has been, in the worst analysis, average at worst in 31 other games (69% rate, 7.7 ypr). But no one is having any of that now, are they? 

So, again, I don't think we can say much about Conner just yet.
NFL receptions are very different than college receptions.

In addition to the obvious that there are fewer games in college than the NFL (hence fewer total receptions) the offenses are just designed to throw to RBs less.  You look at the guys that are catching 80+ balls in the NFL and they are guys that had 35-40 receptions in a season in college.  Le'Veon never exceeded 35 in a season.  There are only two RBs in the entire NFL that ever caught more than 50 passes in a college season (remarkably one of them is Jay Ajayi).

Howard had half as many receptions (11) in his final/best college season as Conner did.

Like I said I agree with you generally.  Conner was certainly not a Bell/Kamara/McCaffrey type player in college that was catching 30-40 passes in a season.  But you are taking college receiving numbers out of context a bit.  His final season was a few less receptions than Sony Michel's career best reception total in a college season.

Aren’t there reports out there tonight suggesting Bell will sign on Saturday? If true Conner has almost no value. Right?

I am? Convince me then.

Samuels is a fullback in this offense, and in his college career, also lined up as a TE. I don't think he has a lot of history as being depended upon as a pure runner, and his contributions seem more in line with being a pass-catcher than someone with the experience and skill set who would draw meaningful carries away from Conner (as opposed to being a COP/passing down substitution to take advantage of potential size mismatch).

What do you see in Samuels game that convinces you this would be even a committee. 
When you said the Steelers have only Ridley and a fullback, I literally thought you either forgot about Samuels or didn't know of him. The tape I saw of Samuels vs Tennessee, he didn't look anything like a fullback. He looked smooth and fast, and very natural both running and receiving. Not at all fullback ish.

When you said the Steelers have only Ridley and a fullback, I literally thought you either forgot about Samuels or didn't know of him. The tape I saw of Samuels vs Tennessee, he didn't look anything like a fullback. He looked smooth and fast, and very natural both running and receiving. Not at all fullback ish.
No, I was indeed referring to Samuels as their fullback (I guess I should have mentioned Nix, their actual fullback, who doesn't figure into this at all IMHO). Samuels did indeed play at fullback (among other positions) in college. My views on him being more of a COP/pass catching back are above and does not change the fact that I don't think he presents a meaningful challenge to Conner's carries.

But how do we know he is a 3 down back?  You said that twice but I see a guy with 30 total receptions in 39 college games (only one target, zero receptions in 14 games as a pro). I get that Pitt may not have utilized their RBs in the passing game much but that seems like very little information to go on to say that he is definitely a 3 down back.  He could be a 2 down (plus short yardage goal line guy) and the rookie TE/FB may be the preferred option in the passing game.  The guy caught 201 passes in 39 college games.  He's also not small at 5'11", 228 lbs so he could be an option on short yardage stuff (or Shanahan style sneak the FB out into the flat near the goal line stuff).
I don't. Either do you. Given the paucity of real-game usage, we can definitely agree he has yet to prove it. But I'll cite three reasons why I think he is a 3-down back:

1) Has a great, bruising downhill style for pure running downs and solid balance and churn for short yard situations

2) Has soft, quality hands (especially on wheels, passes in the flat, swings, etc. -- see this preseason game vs TEN)

3) Sound pass pro who contributes on passing downs

We'll see.

14 team keeper league with auction draft ($200). I was offered James Conner (keeper value $6) & Amari Cooper (keeper value $35) for Barkley (keeper value $75). Thoughts?

Soooo....can J. Connor catch the ball? Or is he just a first and second down back?

Trying to determine if he gets all of the Bell touches or not.

Debating Connor vs. J. Howard.

Soooo....can J. Connor catch the ball? Or is he just a first and second down back?

Trying to determine if he gets all of the Bell touches or not.

Debating Connor vs. J. Howard.
Not a lot to go on, but the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review ran this Wednesday

Now, [Conner]’s being asked to handle a full workload again, and the Steelers have prepared him accordingly. With Bell absent for offseason workouts and training camp, Conner got most of the first-team carries. He also led the Steelers with 100 yards rushing in the preseason.

“James is a year better than he was last year at this time,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “I think we’re all excited for what he can bring to this offense and to this team. We’ve got a lot of weapons. We’d like to have (Le’Veon) out there, but we’ve got guys that can make plays for us.”

Although Conner didn’t catch a pass in his rookie season, he had seven receptions for 61 yards in three preseason games. The Steelers also believe while Conner isn’t the same quality of blocker as Bell, he can get the job done
Conner caught 21 balls in 13 games during his last season in college (U of Pittsburgh).

Only a size & body-type comparison: Conner is built almost exactly like former 49er Roger Craig. Craig also hardly ever caught passes in Tom Osborne's offense at Nebraska. But he went on to become one of the top pass-catching backs of his era. Not saying Conner will do THAT, of course. Just that it's not hopeless :D  

I have to ask - it's supposed to be a massive rainstorm in CLE on Sunday, with winds too.  Does anyone see this as a big boost for the running games of both PIT and CLE?  I have to assume passing will take a back seat.

3 down back. 

Gets stronger as the game goes on, can handle as many carries as you give him. 

Speed, power and moves. 

Can catch the ball in the flat and upfield. 

Great offensive line. 

Dynamic, scoring offense. 

The answer to the OP’s question: if Bell stays out or is traded, Conner is worth as much to fantasy as anyone in this league. 

3 down back. 

Gets stronger as the game goes on, can handle as many carries as you give him. 

Speed, power and moves. 

Can catch the ball in the flat and upfield. 

Great offensive line. 

Dynamic, scoring offense. 

The answer to the OP’s question: if Bell stays out or is traded, Conner is worth as much to fantasy as anyone in this league. 
Cleveland was 31st in yards allowed last year. Conner looked stiff and non-elusive, last year.  He's no Bell, but he's in a great situation.  

Before yesterdays kickoff -

I offered the Bell owner Connor and Shepard for Carson and A Cooper.

Kind of happy he said no at this point...

Cleveland was 31st in yards allowed last year. Conner looked stiff and non-elusive, last year.  He's no Bell, but he's in a great situation.  
Last year is in the past! The guy I saw yesterday is a talented RB and can be very good in that offense 

Users who are viewing this thread