What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (1 Viewer)

Magic Hat Blind Faith. Shuke rating: 9

Rogue 6 Hop IPA.  Shuke rating: 7

Uinta Hop Nosh IPA.  Shuke rating: 6

Crushed a ton of the Hill Farmstead/Tired Hands 'Karma Emulsion' this week.  Good beer is entirely too expensive.

Friend of mine brought back Burial Crystal Sphere DIPA with Peaches and Honey from Asheville 

Awesome. Peach wasn't overwhelming and just a bit of sweetness from the honey.

Nothing must try IMO, but I'm usually there working a trade show and don't do a ton of exploring. You'll find decent craft all over the place but nothing spectacular that you can't find elsewhere. The Yard House is probably the best beer I've hit in Vegas.
Thanks. Did have a Firestone Union Jack IPA last night at dinner. I liked it. I think maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to know but I thought it was really good. But not off the charts like the Beer Advocate guys. Good though. 

Thanks. Did have a Firestone Union Jack IPA last night at dinner. I liked it. I think maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to know but I thought it was really good. But not off the charts like the Beer Advocate guys. Good though. 
Union Jack is great. It's an old-school balanced West Coast IPA -- not as trendy as the NE stuff so no hype, but it's a great beer and F-W is a great brewery.

Had a Pipeworks Sure Bet last night. As amazing as ever. Probably my favorite beer from them. 
Ironically wearing my Pukicorn shirt today! I've really not had a ton other than Noon Whistle lately, still need to get to More but pretty happy just hanging there and having a few or three.

Went to 6 breweries today in and around Dunedin FL, 4 were new to me....most were meh. Escape had 2 great IPAs and a good gose. 7venth Sun and Arkane were of course the standouts.

ditka311 said:
Doubling down on the Indiana hazebro.  Meme de la Creme (double version of the prior).  Damn. Awesome. 

I'd come back here for those for sure. 
I've heard good things about those in my NWI beer FB group, but haven't made it out there yet. Sounds like I should make it a priority.

Went to 6 breweries today in and around Dunedin FL, 4 were new to me....most were meh. Escape had 2 great IPAs and a good gose. 7venth Sun and Arkane were of course the standouts.
If you hit arkane, did you stop by Barley Mow? They have some good beer but NOT too many high abv ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you hit arkane, did you stop by Barley Mow? They have some good beer but too many high abv ones.
Negative. I've been there before and wasn't impressed with anything. That was a couple years ago tho.

Breweries we hit for the first time yesterday: 

Escape Brewing in Trinity. A couple of outstanding IPAs and a good Gose. Their "The other west coast" IPA won an award for best IPA at a fest or something...I liked it enough to take a crowler home.

Soggy Bottom in Dunedin. Meh.

Woodwright in Dunedin. Meh.

Caledonia in Dunedin. Meh.

Went to Arkane for only The 2nd time and was impressed again. The Gimmie Swelter and Pinkish Lemonade were great as expected. They had a good IPA too but I don't remember the name.

Negative. I've been there before and wasn't impressed with anything. That was a couple years ago tho.

Breweries we hit for the first time yesterday: 

Escape Brewing in Trinity. A couple of outstanding IPAs and a good Gose. Their "The other west coast" IPA won an award for best IPA at a fest or something...I liked it enough to take a crowler home.

Soggy Bottom in Dunedin. Meh.

Woodwright in Dunedin. Meh.

Caledonia in Dunedin. Meh.

Went to Arkane for only The 2nd time and was impressed again. The Gimmie Swelter and Pinkish Lemonade were great as expected. They had a good IPA too but I don't remember the name.
I like The Unkindness and Maven from Barley Mow but they really don't do IPAs well and they don't make "big beers".

I had to look up where Escape is. That is like halfway between Tarpon Springs and Wesley Chapel.

My son goes to USF and when I visit or drop him off, sometimes I'll hit up Angry Chair for beer to take back. Maybe I'll try Escape in a couple weeks. Either way it's like 30 minutes the wrong direction.

Working through leftovers from the last week at the beach: Allagash Golden Brett and Little Brett, Little Sumpin' Sumpin', ZD, Boulevard Heavy Lifting.

Also, as much as I hate supporting AB-InBev, I couldn't resist bringing back a bunch of Wicked Weed sours.

Cleaning out a bunch of stuff in the basement pantry today and I found a Blackout stout from Great Lakes. Been sitting there since 2013 on a shelf. All dusty. Cleaned the bottle off, threw it in the freezer for 30 and then the fridge. Had it about 2 hours later, shockingly it was perfectly fine.

Freak of Nature available here for the first time (Philadelphia).  I'm not thrilled about the WW sale, but for the moment, I'm just going to enjoy the enhanced distribution of WW, especially as long as the quality stays.

Sho Nuff!

Ok...not actually drinking that tonight...just loved that my name is a beer.

Been starting to get into some new beers after about a year or two drinking mostly bourbon.

Im not an IPA guy...love most german options, or belgian white types (but not a fan of blue moon).  Bells Oberon Ale is a favorite when I can get it.  I do like guiness types and pretty heavy stouts sometimes...but not really for summer.

Any ideas for something new?
I have some suggestions for you, unfortunately I might be a little late for the summer beers.

A few summer beers that I really liked, that are also quite readily available are:  Goose Island Summer Time Kolsch, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and New Belgium Dayblazer.  These are pretty readily available at my local grocery stores in PA.

The Oktoberfest beers are starting to show up and I just bought my first Oktoberfest for the season this weekend.  I bought Goose Island Fest Bier and I liked it a lot.  If you like most German options I think you will definitely like it.  Sam Adams Oktoberfest is always excellent.  Another great Oktoberfest beer that sells fast is Great Lakes Oktoberfest.

Some non IPA beer styles I like are:  Irish Red, Vienna Lager, Kolsch, Amber Lager, Marzen Lager, Oktoberfest (most Oktoberfests are Marzen Lagers).

Great Lakes Conway Irish Ale is an excellent Irish Red.  A few examples of Vienna Lager that are pretty good are Sam Adams Boston Lager and Great Lakes Elliot Ness.  I've had other Vienna Lagers I liked better, but they were all very local without a lot of distribution.  One of my favorite Ambers that you can normally find fairly easily is Abita Amber.

ETA:  I also like Helles Lagers but they were mostly summer seasonal as well.  For the most part if I see Helles in the description, I like it.

I have some suggestions for you, unfortunately I might be a little late for the summer beers.

A few summer beers that I really liked, that are also quite readily available are:  Goose Island Summer Time Kolsch, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and New Belgium Dayblazer.  These are pretty readily available at my local grocery stores in PA.

The Oktoberfest beers are starting to show up and I just bought my first Oktoberfest for the season this weekend.  I bought Goose Island Fest Bier and I liked it a lot.  If you like most German options I think you will definitely like it.  Sam Adams Oktoberfest is always excellent.  Another great Oktoberfest beer that sells fast is Great Lakes Oktoberfest.

Some non IPA beer styles I like are:  Irish Red, Vienna Lager, Kolsch, Amber Lager, Marzen Lager, Oktoberfest (most Oktoberfests are Marzen Lagers).

Great Lakes Conway Irish Ale is an excellent Irish Red.  A few examples of Vienna Lager that are pretty good are Sam Adams Boston Lager and Great Lakes Elliot Ness.  I've had other Vienna Lagers I liked better, but they were all very local without a lot of distribution.  One of my favorite Ambers that you can normally find fairly easily is Abita Amber.

ETA:  I also like Helles Lagers but they were mostly summer seasonal as well.  For the most part if I see Helles in the description, I like it.
I do like a good Kolsh and the Oktoberfest stuff.

I know Anchor is much smaller than Ballast Point or Lagunitas, but are they less than one tenth the size?  A reported sale price of $85m seems crazy low given the $1bln reported prices for the other two.  Anchor is such a classic, trusted brand, like an old friend for an old beer drinker.

Friend brought over some cheap Canadian beer yesterday called Moosehead. I gotta say... NOT BAD. Not bad at all.

I just assumed since it didn't have any fancy name or labeling. It's pretty damn good though.
Haven't had it since college 20+ years ago, so I just looked the price up on beermenus, it's a $10 / 12 pack macro adjunct lager. That definitely qualifies as cheap beer.

I'm up in the Catskills mountains and at a local restaurant (maybe my favorite in the entire world -- Peekamoose -- a must if you visit the region) had a local from Catskills Brewery, a black lager called Nightshine. It was fantastic. 

Good Will Hopping which is Noda's take on a NE IPA.  It is a tasty, juicy beer but lacks the haze I associate with the style. 

You are such a pompous tool.  I have severe hate for you and I have never hated anyone on this board. 
Pretty sure that I can live with that. You're the one that evidently enjoys following me around from thread to thread tossing insults for no reason. Have a nice day, guy.

And  :lmao:  @ "scared" to make a bet with some random internet dude... let it go. It's really not a good look. 

Pretty sure that I can live with that. You're the one that evidently enjoys following me around from thread to thread tossing insults for no reason. Have a nice day, guy.

And  :lmao:  @ "scared" to make a bet with some random internet dude... let it go. It's really not a good look. 
You are so delusional, I pity your wife and kids.   I never follow you anywhere.   You respond after my posts with nonsense, I call you out and get proved right.   

what is going on here?
He spent about 10 pages telling me why Floyd/Conor fight would never happen.  I would tell him what Dana and other people would say and he would use his idiot :lmao:   and tell me how wrong I was.   Then I called him out when he was wrong and he cried about it.   Also, asked him to bet 100 on if the fight happens or not, we would let Rude hold the money and he ####ed out.   He is just a pompous loudmouth and only acts that way here because it is on the net, I am sure he got his butt beat too many times IRL for running it.   The guy is scum.

For the record, I posted before him in that threat too yet somehow I am following him.   Freaking delusional. 

Long Ball Larry said:
what is going on here?
While I am on a roll Larry.  ;)

Moosehead is not cheap beer, the homeless are not brown bagging it in downtown Raleigh.   It is 13 to 16 for a 12 pack bottles around here.   60% of the beers at least cost less than it anywhere around here.    It is higher than all the macro brews here.   Now if you buying craft junk at 5 bucks a beer, it might cost a lot less.

Do go on... you're proving my point for me with every personal attack and petty reference to a difference of opinion (which you took very personally, obviously) months ago. Anyone can read that thread if they're interested in seeing who was acting like a child (protip: no one cares at all but you).

In this thread we talk about beer. So to get back on track, Moosehead absolutely is cheap crap macro adjunct lager (it's between $8.99 and $10.99 for a 12-pack here in Chicagoland -- actual decent beer isn't exactly common at that price for a 6, outside of Bell's and Lagunitas); they can just charge slightly more for it because it's made in another country, just like Stella, Corona, and the rest of the "Miller / Bud with a different label" garbage that's out there.

Carver said:
I just assumed since it didn't have any fancy name or labeling. It's pretty damn good though.
Sorry man, I hate to break it too you.   We like a cheap crap macro adjunct lager, says that guy that had it twenty years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread