What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Does Your Household Discuss What To Eat For Dinner? (1 Viewer)

Does Your Household Discuss What To Eat For Dinner?

• Yes, almost always

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Usually / the majority of the time

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Not usually / only some of the time

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • No, pretty much never

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters

Anarchy99

Footballguy
Borrowing from Keerock.

My wife and I alternate making or bringing home take out for dinner. On my nights, I almost always ask what she and the kids are in the mood for to eat (either me cooking at home or picking up something on the way home). I personally don't find this to be out of the ordinary and think this is being caring and polite. Today she freaked out and told me this really annoys her, and I need to just make or buy something and leave her out of it. She usually has some sort of diet that she's trying, so I try to find something that would be appropriate. On her assigned nights, she doesn't ask anyone, she just makes something. I'm guessing most people / families don't have a lot of agitation over what to eat for dinner, but as far as the poll goes, I'm just trying to figure if there is some sort of discussion about what people want to eat each night (and how often).

Borrowing from Keerock.

My wife and I alternate making or bringing home take out for dinner. On my nights, I almost always ask what she and the kids are in the mood for to eat (either me cooking at home or picking up something on the way home). I personally don't find this to be out of the ordinary and think this is being caring and polite. Today she freaked out and told me this really annoys her, and I need to just make or buy something and leave her out of it. She usually has some sort of diet that she's trying, so I try to find something that would be appropriate. On her assigned nights, she doesn't ask anyone, she just makes something. I'm guessing most people / families don't have a lot of agitation over what to eat for dinner, but as far as the poll goes, I'm just trying to figure if there is some sort of discussion about what people want to eat each night (and how often).
Lol. . .my wife will ask what we want to do for dinner as we are eating breakfast....

* This is usually when we are away lol

Drives me and my daughter crazy

Not sure how to vote here. My wife makes the dinner. Every week without fail she asks if I feel like anything special for dinner this week. And several times a week she'll ask a similar question about "tonight". I don't ask when I take over, and I don't usually have an opinion for her. The kids usually give her an opinion but she also usually makes different stuff for them because they're picky (or maybe this sentence should be reversed...).

So what do I vote?

We usually keep a decently stocked freezer with meats. My wife usually pulls out something in the morning to thaw, and in that way, she sort of decides what we will be eating for the entrée. I get home earlier than her from work, so I usually end up doing most of the cooking. Because of that I usually decide the sides/veggies. So there isn't too much discussion, it all just sort of unfolds.

Not sure how to vote here. My wife makes the dinner. Every week without fail she asks if I feel like anything special for dinner this week. And several times a week she'll ask a similar question about "tonight". I don't ask when I take over, and I don't usually have an opinion for her. The kids usually give her an opinion but she also usually makes different stuff for them because they're picky (or maybe this sentence should be reversed...).

So what do I vote?
Probably one of the middle two.

Borrowing from Keerock.

Lol. . .my wife will ask what we want to do for dinner as we are eating breakfast....

* This is usually when we are away lol

Drives me and my daughter crazy

Ha! My MIL is the queen of this. It used to annoy me, but now I just kind of laugh and lightly tease her about it. She also isn't much of a cook, so it amuses me more than anything.

I'm the primary cook of the house, so I usually ask if anyone has any 'cravings' for a specific food/dish around mid morning. My wife is usually thankful I like to cook, so it doesn't bother her.

If no one has any ideas or suggestions, I will take some type of meat out of the freezer to start thawing out. I have no plan of what to make, but at least the main entree will be thawed out and ready to do something with it. Oddly enough, this is the part that irritates family members("Oh, what are you going to make? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW?? You took chicken out. You must know what you're making!). lol

Supper is ready when I get home, I'm not picky I eat whatever was made. Sometimes my wife will give me a couple choices, but it doesn't matter whatever I don't pick today will be made tomorrow.

My girlfriend is a might picky so it is never a good idea to just make or pick up anything without checking with her first. And as the conversation usually unfolds, I just tell her to let me know what she’s thinking as my stomach travels. Then she’ll get mad that I’m not giving her any thoughts or ideas because she doesn’t know what she wants so then I’ll throw out three or four ideas all of which she’ll shoot down and then she’ll have her eureka moment. It’s like a dance only worse.

Wife Plans / I cook / we both shop.

Wife is a logistic master. But she is sensitive to how others like her efforts. She has to plan everything. Oh, and allergic to onions.
I don't care if everybody likes my cooking or not. I do it fast, and clean up after myself. New stove and new All Clad pans/pots.
2 Adult sons in house have poor kitchen skills
1) Full time student and has "taste deficiency". ENT thing. Goes by texture only. Does not taste most things, other than extreme heat or tart. Big challenge.
2) Was a vegan for most of his life but allows agrees to chicken dishes with "flair". Prefers exotic dishes that take 5+ hours prep. Not my thing.

We spend 60 min figuring out where to get Take Out.
We spend 3 days off/on planning next week meals & shopping efforts (stores to hit vs price vs brand).

IT IS A MAJOR ISSUE AND I AM SICK OF IT.

The funniest part is all the take out places I go, they know me by name/face. I tip for my "to go" (10-12% for my take out) & they appreciate it.

I'm the primary cook of the house, so I usually ask if anyone has any 'cravings' for a specific food/dish around mid morning. My wife is usually thankful I like to cook, so it doesn't bother her.

If no one has any ideas or suggestions, I will take some type of meat out of the freezer to start thawing out. I have no plan of what to make, but at least the main entree will be thawed out and ready to do something with it. Oddly enough, this is the part that irritates family members("Oh, what are you going to make? WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW?? You took chicken out. You must know what you're making!). lol
meals are a major point of contention in the house. I have describe our process at some point on here, but this is close. The biggest issue has revolved around my daughter, her schedule, and her boyfriend in the past.

Now i just make dinner and she will either eat it or make herself something....
ie: dinner last night- jerk wings
she has announced, many times, that she does not like chicken
i bought wings for two (mrs and I)
last night she decides to have wings with us. :wall:
Lol, what's for dinner? My dad said that was the oldest fight in the book.

"What do you want to do for dinner tonight?"
"I don't care, anything is fine."
"Okay, how about pizza?"
"No, not that".
"Alright, what would you like to eat then?"
"I said I don't care"
"You DO care".

:hot:
this was just us at lunch today

Last edited:
My girlfriend is a might picky so it is never a good idea to just make or pick up anything without checking with her first. And as the conversation usually unfolds, I just tell her to let me know what she’s thinking as my stomach travels. Then she’ll get mad that I’m not giving her any thoughts or ideas because she doesn’t know what she wants so then I’ll throw out three or four ideas all of which she’ll shoot down and then she’ll have her eureka moment. It’s like a dance only worse.

This is my life with my wife. She asks me every day what I want, but I only throw out suggestions, she gets mad if I don't provide some options or say something like "whatever you want or anything sounds good", but if I was to make something without her approval or something she didn't want that night, that would be a big no-no lol. She is the ultimate decision maker on what we eat and it is almost like a game every day, although now I know how to play.

I grew up with whatever is served I eat it or I don't eat.

When my wife asks "what do you want for dinner", I usually answer with something outlandish:

"you know what sounds good? A full turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, green beans, and those sweet potato things"

"could you make deep fried catfish with home fries and some cornbread"

"how about some prime rib, roasted potatoes, and a crisp green salad. and some homemade rolls."

Every morning we decide what's for dinner. Take out of the freezer to thaw , take out from restaurant or go out. Not unusual to change direction closer to dinner. We grill a lot but it's tough to grill when the temp is 105 outside.

When my wife asks "what do you want for dinner", I usually answer with something outlandish:

"you know what sounds good? A full turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, cranberry sauce, green beans, and those sweet potato things"

"could you make deep fried catfish with home fries and some cornbread"

"how about some prime rib, roasted potatoes, and a crisp green salad. and some homemade rolls."
I might try that philosophy! See if it floats or bites me on the backside!
Maybe I will go with Antipasti Salad with Italian Wedding Soup and Peppers stuffed with spicy Italian sausage mix.
:tfp:

pretty sure there's never a day when we don't talk about food

we always build a consensus on what's for dinner

wife is super health conscious but she also makes it fun for me and the kids by being very creative

Plan out the meals a few days ahead and hit the store, instacart, or go out / takeout.

Share cooking duties pretty evenly.

This is a fun topic.

It may have already been asked, but I think it's also interesting if people and families eat together and/or at a table.

I think it was from my Mom but I can count on one hand the times I've eaten dinner at home that wasn't at the dinner table with TV off.

It wasn't like it was formal or anything but it was always a "this is where you're going to talk to your family" type thing.

Even when I'm at home by myself, I have dinner at the table. Mabye that's weird.

For discussion as a kid it was always, "Here's what mom cooked for dinner or what we're having for dinner."

Now, my wife and talk about it every time casually with a "What do you think would be good for dinner?" Sometimes we make dinner, sometimes takeout and sometimes leftovers. But we always talk about it.

We usually discuss on Sunday for the whole week. I cook more than my wife because I'm an awesome husband. And the better cook.

I think it's also interesting if people and families eat together and/or at a table.

I think it was from my Mom but I can count on one hand the times I've eaten dinner at home that wasn't at the dinner table with TV off.
When we have our kids over for dinner (they are all adults now), the TV is off . . . but there isn't that much discussion. It's mostly quiet and people texting each other at the table. If we try to enforce no phones at the table, people just shovel down the food and disperse quickly. There usually is more dialogue and conversation, just not while eating dinner. That would come when people are "hanging out" and watching TV or playing video games.

But I remember the days when I was a kid and dinner was a mandatory sit down meal. Everyone sat and ate together and talked about their days with the TV off. That's just how it was. No one really even thought about doing anything else.

But I remember the days when I was a kid and dinner was a mandatory sit down meal. Everyone sat and ate together and talked about their days with the TV off. That's just how it was. No one really even thought about doing anything else.

:heart:

This is a fun topic.

It may have already been asked, but I think it's also interesting if people and families eat together and/or at a table.

It wasn't like it was formal or anything but it was always a "this is where you're going to talk to your family" type thing.

Even when I'm at home by myself, I have dinner at the table. Mabye that's weird.

We are an eat at the table, TV off for dinner kind of family. I'll play some music occasionally. These are way more fun when our older boys from college are home and linger at the table even after dinner.

Summer though we like to eat outside most nights. Just so pleasant in the summers here at night, minimal to no bugs. That's cool too. We just eat around the yard in various chairs. Grill gets used in 75% of all summer dinners so we just chill around it before we eat....wouldn't have it no other way.

i'm the cook. i gave up asking what people wanted because it just led nowhere.

now i make what's available and if they want it, great. if not, they're on their own.. which usually means reheated leftovers.

Also might be fun to ask about phones at dinner table.

For phones at the dinner table at home, we treat it like eating dinner out - you are there and you talk to the people there. Not texting or using your phone. It's there but it's only used to answer a question in conversation like "what's the name of that movie with ..." type stuff.

Looking around in restaurants, I think I'm kind of a minority in that.

For discussion as a kid it was always, "Here's what mom cooked for dinner or what we're having for dinner."

Now, my wife and talk about it every time casually with a "What do you think would be good for dinner?" Sometimes we make dinner, sometimes takeout and sometimes leftovers. But we always talk about it.

Yup, this is us. I voted "yes, almost always" to this one.

Also raised with a "this is dinner tonight" ethos as a kid.

Also might be fun to ask about phones at dinner table.

For phones at the dinner table at home, we treat it like eating dinner out - you are there and you talk to the people there. Not texting or using your phone. It's there but it's only used to answer a question in conversation like "what's the name of that movie with ..." type stuff.

Looking around in restaurants, I think I'm kind of a minority in that.

Yup. No phones no iPads when we eat together, home or away. Unless like you say it's for information or changing a song.

I wonder how much that affected me as to who I am now?

I listened to something the other day about a rich guy and he has this huge list of demands when he travels. Hotel room has to have certain brands of stuff and food has to be super particular. Like Miles Finch in Elf.

One of the podcast hosts thought that was awesome.

I hated it. Seems like the most pretentous thing.

I listened to something the other day about a rich guy and he has this huge list of demands when he travels. Hotel room has to have certain brands of stuff and food has to be super particular. Like Miles Finch in Elf.

You are equating being raised to eat at the dinner table had a bearing on thinking some rich dude being pretentious is related?

I don't think they go hand in hand. Once I started playing sports seriously we rarely had time for sitdowns .....when I was young we did. That sounds pretentious because of my blue collar upbringing not cause we sat for dinner when I was 9

No. I do all the cooking (which I enjoy), and I am blessed with a wife that literally doesn't care.

So great for budgeting and time constraints.
When we were closing on the house and had to pinch every penny, we had beans in some form every night for a month. No problem.
I got no time to do any proper cooking, so it's a rice and canned sardines? Sure, sounds great!

And if mom puts it on the plate, you eat it. You might protest a little, but you know you're not being dismissed until (whatever offense food) is gone.

:heart:
I’m old school, this is how we do it in our house.

Though like every parent in history has experienced it’s like pulling teeth with my 8yr old to get her to say anything about her day other then “it was good”……

Yeah, I hear about demands big time musicians make on tour and it just seems off-putting to me. "REMOVE ALL THE RED M&Ms". I think those sorts of demands "just because you can" reveals a character flaw.
Yup. No phones no iPads when we eat together, home or away. Unless like you say it's for information or changing a song.

How common does this seem to you?

Common to NOT use phones or iPads during dinner? Sad to say, I think maybe 25-30% of American families operate under the "NO electronics - eat at a table together and talk" dinner.

To be clear, I think dinner music is different from having the TV on.....

You are equating being raised to eat at the dinner table had a bearing on thinking some rich dude being pretentious is related?

I don't think they go hand in hand. Once I started playing sports seriously we rarely had time for sitdowns .....when I was young we did. That sounds pretentious because of my blue collar upbringing not cause we sat for dinner when I was 9

That's not the conclusion I arrived at with his post....

Users who are viewing this thread