What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Does Your Household Discuss What To Eat For Dinner? (1 Viewer)

Does Your Household Discuss What To Eat For Dinner?

• Yes, almost always

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Usually / the majority of the time

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Not usually / only some of the time

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • No, pretty much never

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters
Yup, this is us. I voted "yes, almost always" to this one.

Also raised with a "this is dinner tonight" ethos as a kid.

I wonder how much that affected me as to who I am now?

I listened to something the other day about a rich guy and he has this huge list of demands when he travels. Hotel room has to have certain brands of stuff and food has to be super particular. Like Miles Finch in Elf.

One of the podcast hosts thought that was awesome.

I hated it. Seems like the most pretentous thing.
You are equating being raised to eat at the dinner table had a bearing on thinking some rich dude being pretentious is related?

I don't think they go hand in hand. Once I started playing sports seriously we rarely had time for sitdowns .....when I was young we did. That sounds pretentious because of my blue collar upbringing not cause we sat for dinner when I was 9

That's not the conclusion I arrived at with his post....
I could have misunderstood, it's why I asked

I'm the cook and usually plan everything. I'll ask what they want once in a while if i need ideas, but I generally take care of everything.

Last edited:
Always. Usually food shop on Sunday to have a basic idea for the week. Go out to eat normally Thursday to Sunday.
No kids.

As a teenager I didn't really have anything positive relating to being forced to sit around a dinner table. It was torture for me. So we were never militant with meals. I talk to my kids all day away from the table, maybe that was one of the big differences with our parents generation. Now if we all end up sitting around a table talking and eating organically, that's fine also.

We also never seem to be in the mood for the same food on the same days. I read my kindle while I eat, and the kids are on phones. Wife usually eats seperate as she likes crappy vegetables and pasta. Our system works for us. Especially being super busy with art, music, sports over the years.

Edited to add, we have never once had a sip of alcohol in front if our kids in our house. Maybe once or twice in eighteen years outside. The kids have zero interest in that either which is nice. Many people I knew would also have alcohol, beer, wine, or a cocktail while they sat and ate "as a family". We do it different.

We look at ads and make a grocery list on google keep. We meal plan based on it before going to determine if we've gotta take something outta the freezer or add anything to the list. I do 90+% of the shopping because when I didn't our food bill was $$$ several hundred more each month. Once we've got our haul I take care of most chopping needs and any prep for the week that can be done before cooking anything.

She does 90+% of the cooking and if what she makes results in leftovers I'll ration accordingly for lunch/leftover purposes. We usually don't plan takeout or dining in advance so that's the one time decision making can drag on, but while the kids can be problematic my wife and I can usually get to an agreement rather quickly...then retort to the kids pick something or there's fish sticks in the freezer.

3 adults: I cook if I'm home and usually eat the leftovers the next few days, wife eats cereal or warms up a can of soup, son heats up some frozen crap if he doesn't bring home takeout. So I probably eat the healthiest but will certainly die first. ;)

You are equating being raised to eat at the dinner table had a bearing on thinking some rich dude being pretentious is related?

No. I asked the question wondering if being raised where "this is dinner" made me think it's not cool for the rich dude to demand a bunch of stuff be his way.

Yup. No phones no iPads when we eat together, home or away. Unless like you say it's for information or changing a song.

How common does this seem to you?
No clue, but based on what I've experienced in my circles it seems common on family dinner night but not so much amidst the scramble drill when kids have multiple things going on at the same time - especially during the week. Others are always amazed that my wife has dinner prepared (although we all eat at different times) and that I get next day's lunches ready on practice/game nights. Retort is usually something along the lines of if we don't pick something up on the way home and kid x is hungry then he'll find something to eat.

No. I asked the question wondering if being raised where "this is dinner" made me think it's not cool for the rich dude to demand a bunch of stuff be his way.
Right thats what I meant....I don't think "this is dinner" is related as much as general upbringing

Yes, we usually plan a week ahead and split the cooking fairly equally among my wife, our 20yo, our 15yo, and me. The 12yo will cook on occasion. 18yo and 9yo don’t cook. 18yo can but he’s been busier than the others.
Everyone has input, wife does the majority of the shopping. The plan was for everything including meals and shopping lists to be put into Cozi where all of us except the 9yo has access. That’s been inconsistently executed but we’re trying to do better with it.

My wife is an extremely picky eater, so she does most of the cooking and meal planning in our household. If I suggest something, she'll usually put it on the menu for that week, but I usually just let her cook what she wants.

I don't think they go hand in hand. Once I started playing sports seriously we rarely had time for sitdowns .....when I was young we did. That sounds pretentious because of my blue collar upbringing not cause we sat for dinner when I was 9

When my boys were heavily involved in sports (and I was the coach), we rarely sat at the table. We were gone from 4-8 pm most evenings.
Since they are now young adults (low 20's), we sit at the table 29 of 30 days per month average. It is a requirement if they want to eat. They help clear the table and set up for meals. No phones at the table. Not up for discussion.
Discussion at the table last night:
UPS Strike and the fact UPS had $14B Profit... pay them but older son was "Corporate Greed Rules"
Then writers strike ... Disney CEO made something like $120M ...easy to pay them real wages but greed won't let them...
Next discussion was US Prison System is broken - no "real" rehabilitation gets done, compared to EU systems (higher quality, like Apartment living),

We meal plan, so we set the menu in advance and go shop for what we need for the week. works out nicely. Typically I plan the menu and then review with my wife and make changes if needed. I use a google calendar so it’s also nice if one of us comes across a recipe that sounds good I can throw it on there (im usually 2-4 weeks out in my planning)

Depending on our schedule we may plan a pizza day or carryout day, so that can lead to debate on what to get. Usually come to some agreement on where to order from though

We have a shared note on our phones we use. During the week we both add what we want on there for the next week and then buy the groceries that weekend. I’m usually watching YouTube or something and will see something I want to make.

When my boys were heavily involved in sports (and I was the coach), we rarely sat at the table. We were gone from 4-8 pm most evenings.
It's been nice having several meals with the family per week again this summer, but this reality returns within the next week or two. My wife and I talked and agreed we'd do a sitdown family dinner each weekend - whether that's a home cooked meal on Sunday or dining out at a local joint sometime over the weekend will be a week-to-week thing though.

We tend to eat together most nights (myself, my wife, and our 18 yo son) but it's usually in front of the TV that has a sporting event on. Mostly MLB or NBA. Thankfully all of us like sports so while it's not really "background music", it usually provides us with our talking points without all of us having to pay very close attention to it. We rarely watch any sort of scripted television that requires any sort of real attention, Does that make it better? In my mind, that's how I'm justifying it at least...

My wife and I both like to cook however we have learned that it's difficult for us to cook together. I have my way, she has hers. That results in us preparing different dishes on different nights with occasional take-out thrown in there when neither of us really wants to cook or we realize it's already 8pm and we have procrastinated on preparing anything.

We both like grocery shopping and will tend to independently pick out things that we will prepare over the next few days e.g. yesterday we went to Aldi and I picked up some country pork ribs that I will make, probably tomorrow, and she threw in some port tenderloin and chicken breasts that she will whip into something awesome.

Our son isn't very picky but he does like to eat so he's pretty agnostic on most things and tends to be the leftover scavenger the following days.

If my wife is making food it is whatever she decides to make... no input from anyone else is asked usually. Same with me, I will just make whatever... except my daughter is starting to make food now. She didn't didn't want what I was going to make so I said "great, let me know what you are cooking."

The only time we really talk about what to eat is when we are eating out. "What do you want?"

My wife is an extremely picky eater, so she does most of the cooking and meal planning in our household. If I suggest something, she'll usually put it on the menu for that week, but I usually just let her cook what she wants.
My wife and son are both picky eaters. But we discuss meals in advance a lot. I'd be happy with my wife making most of the decisions since her options are more restricted than mine, but she doesn't like making unilateral decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread