What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's your opinion on "localism"? (1 Viewer)

What's your opinion on "localism"?

• It's great

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • It's OK, but not great

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's not OK, but not terrible

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I saw a person I like with a large following yesterday talk about how he loved how his city promoted "localism". 

I'm not sure exactly how he meant it.

Internet says: 

lo·cal·ism  /ˈlōkəˌlizəm/. noun

preference for one's own area or region, especially when this results in a limitation of outlook.

a characteristic of a particular locality, such as a local idiom or custom.

plural noun: localisms
What's your opinion?

That's a new one.   What is it saying?  That we like our neighborhood over another?   The limitation of outlook part has be befuddled.

I don't understand.
Of course I prefer my locality to others...that's why I choose to live here.

Are there other places I would like to live or even RATHER live and other places I wouldn't even want to visit?
Yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take this to mean to things like buying local such as shopping at a neighborhood grocery store or farmers market instead of going to Wal-Mart.  I tend to find local restaurants much more enjoyable than any of the chain places.  Larger corporate have their place in terms of economic efficiencies and quality control, but a good local establishment can blow away the large corporations in terms of freshness and quality if they really put passion into their product.  There is a time and place for localism, but there is a reason why the large corporations usually win out.  It is usually cheaper, faster, and you know exactly what you are getting.  But finding that local gem is usually worth the effort.

Seems big  "Drink Local" "Eat Local" hats and shirts are everywhere.  

My kids and most of their friends are really into it.  Everytime we see them they want to go where they live to eat and drink to support locals. They only shop at local pet stores and other shops even if they pay a little more.

I think we all get the positives.

What I see folks asking about are the negatives. Meaning, localism for some may be in the same thing as "protectionism" or "patriotism". Or a focus on those who look like us and the idea of not wanting to get outside our "local bubble". 

It seems like one of those things that most people like me automatically see as "good" but I'm hearing people who are thoughtful question how good it is and wanted to ask what folks here thought. 

I think it's a positive.  It's good to keep your neighborhood stores in business and support the people around you to create a thriving and safe area.

Both a positive and negative.

When its the pushing to eat and shop local to help your "neighbors", yes, that can be positive.  When its an "air of superiority" about your location over others (without much reason for it), it becomes pretty bad.

There is an irrational fear of globalism these days. I’m not sure I really need understand what localism means exactly, but I know I’m opposed to anything which plays into the fear of globalism. 

There is an irrational fear of globalism these days. I’m not sure I really need understand what localism means exactly, but I know I’m opposed to anything which plays into the fear of globalism. 
Idk if it’s a fear of globalism but here goes- there is a pretty popular little coffee shop in a nearby town (married couple and two employees).  Last week a Starbucks announced they are coming in, about a block away.  Of course there is a big fight on social media over this.  The downtown area has no national businesses, this will change everything.  

I think we all get the positives.

What I see folks asking about are the negatives. Meaning, localism for some may be in the same thing as "protectionism" or "patriotism". Or a focus on those who look like us and the idea of not wanting to get outside our "local bubble". 

It seems like one of those things that most people like me automatically see as "good" but I'm hearing people who are thoughtful question how good it is and wanted to ask what folks here thought. 
Isn't the point that you don't go outside your "local bubble" though?  Or if you do and you see conflicting views, you default back to what your "local bubble" says because that's where you are all the time?  I think it's probably great for those who don't ever leave their bubble.  I think it becomes problematic in the areas of empathy and self awareness should one choose to leave their bubble.  

If we're talking strictly about supporting local businesses over chains, I'd say it's 100% good for reasons many above this post have listed.  If we're talking about position and perception of the world at large it see it being problematic because the nature of our economy and society is ever growing and choosing to try and stay in your "local bubble" is an exercise in futility.  

Isn't the point that you don't go outside your "local bubble" though?  Or if you do and you see conflicting views, you default back to what your "local bubble" says because that's where you are all the time?  I think it's probably great for those who don't ever leave their bubble.  I think it becomes problematic in the areas of empathy and self awareness should one choose to leave their bubble.  

If we're talking strictly about supporting local businesses over chains, I'd say it's 100% good for reasons many above this post have listed.  If we're talking about position and perception of the world at large it see it being problematic because the nature of our economy and society is ever growing and choosing to try and stay in your "local bubble" is an exercise in futility.  
Agreed. I think you're hitting on some of the points. It's interesting for sure. 

It's actually a much bigger discussion too on how we choose "preferences". 

Choosing the local restaurant over a chain is easy.

It's when you back way up that it can be interesting.

I think of it like you tune into the Summer Olympics and see a boxing match with athletes I know nothing about.

One fighter is a guy from USA. The other guy is from Russia. 

My preference is I cheer for the USA guy. If I think about it, it's probably because he's "like me." He's "on my team". 

Is "like me" a reason to prefer one fighter over another? 

That gets into a more philosophical thing that may or may not be of interest to people. But I think about it a good bit as it does seem like it matters a lot when we look at how we get along with people who don't look like / think like us. I know that's kind of out there. 

Also - sorry for the tangent above. I was just thinking about it today as this seems like more of the "Why do I think that?" discussions we've had in the past. 

Putting aside the financial support for locally-owned businesses,  what I read from this is a sincere and closely held belief that where you live is just "better" than some other places. An overly simplified example would be that I, as a Minnesotan, think it's much better here than that hellhole state to our east, Wisconsin. Wisconsinites are all alcoholics, have crazy politics and they like the Packers, which is a huge character flaw.

I don't really think Wisconsin is a hellhole, it's a beautiful state full of wonderful people, including several close friends (but seriously, screw the Packers). But I do see this attitude a lot. There especially seems to be a huge divergence between rural and urban/suburban. People honestly believe that cities are filth and crime-infested wastelands full of loony libs trying to destroy freedom. Conversely,  city dwellers, especially those in large urban areas, are convinced that rural Americans are uneducated,  ill-informed, redneck simpletons.

I've lived in both areas, and have seen a bit of the truth behind the stereotypes. But overall,  both beliefs are pretty ridiculous.  This is another of the many ways in which we allow ourselves to be manipulated into tribalism. Everyone has preferences,  why do we have to get rudely contentious beyond sports-based rivalries, which are usually fairly good-natured, at least outside of the stadium.

Yeah, the snobbishness that usually travels hand-in-hand with localism isn't my thing.

We need much, much, much more humility in this 'look at me!' society we live in.

Users who are viewing this thread