What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is it OK to change the team you root for? (1 Viewer)

What is "right" according to the "rules" of sport Fandom under the circumsatnces

• Stick with the Amazing Mets?

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • GO with the local flavor if you know that is where you are spending the rest of your life?

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
i grew up a loyal lions fan for 30 years ,but im more a fan of the nfl game than a team . a few years back, i noticed when i watched a game other than the lions, i enjoyed myself . and when i turned back to the lions, it was like gaging down liver oil and saying "ive always watched them, must continue". ive always latched on to other teams who had a shot for a title even when i watched the lions though since they always suck and nfl is the only sport i like. i liked the 80s bears and giants. really enjoyed the favre packer teams/games . when i saw the patriots on the super bowl runs, i thought coach was the most interesting ive seen in a long time . and i thought brady , along with montana was the most intuitive qb ive ever seen . eventually i wanted to get the ticket so i could follow the patriots as long as coach and brady are there . before i had the ticket and had to watch what was on, i would read nfl history more . so i got to enjoy the history of the packers, bears and steelers . i also do not enjoy dome games . so was drawn to teams that play in a great outside stadium. i never liked the patriots before, but like them now . i used to like the giants and hate them now . go with what you like . some like 1 team loyal . others like the league . there are no rules for enjoying something .

You're allowed to change loyalties as often as the professional athletes do. In other words, whenever you feel like it.
I think people aren't understanding the conversation topic. Of course you are allowed to do whatever you want. Of course people who care a lot about someone else's business are a bit ridiculous. But the idea of the conversation is to discuss when it is broadly considered legitimate to switch teams. So saying that anything is legitimate or do whatever you want does not really contribute to the discussion. You are allowed to do lots of things. You can hate your mom for no reason. But dont expect others to agree that it is legitimate to do so. There are some positives to having a team that you are truly a fan of. Many people who watch sports develop a fan relationship towards a particular team or teams. This conversation is about when those people would agree when it is legitimate to switch allegiances. If you are not one of those people, fine, but just repeating that it is stupid to be one of those people doesnt really help too much...

I'm one of those who despises "bandwagoners". I respect old time fans who have bled their teams colors their entire lives.

That said, I firmly believe it's OK to switch to the local team. Move to Houston, I won't hold it against you if you decide to root for the Texans. Move to Oakland, I'll laugh, but won't criticize you a lot if you choose to go to the Silver and Black. If you live in Northern VA and suddenly decide you're a Patriots fan after growing up rooting for the Skins, I'm all over you.

You're allowed to change loyalties as often as the professional athletes do. In other words, whenever you feel like it.
I think people aren't understanding the conversation topic. Of course you are allowed to do whatever you want. Of course people who care a lot about someone else's business are a bit ridiculous. But the idea of the conversation is to discuss when it is broadly considered legitimate to switch teams. So saying that anything is legitimate or do whatever you want does not really contribute to the discussion. You are allowed to do lots of things. You can hate your mom for no reason. But dont expect others to agree that it is legitimate to do so. There are some positives to having a team that you are truly a fan of. Many people who watch sports develop a fan relationship towards a particular team or teams. This conversation is about when those people would agree when it is legitimate to switch allegiances. If you are not one of those people, fine, but just repeating that it is stupid to be one of those people doesnt really help too much...
I'm sorry it doesn't help you, but it's the right answer. And I didn't mean it in the "nobody can legally stop you" way. I mean what I said. Today there are almost no advantages to supporting a team that doesn't support the fans. The teams care about your money. If they could charge you to talk about the NFL, they would. If they could get a penny for every post on this message board, they'd have an attorney fire off a letter to FBG before noon. As a fan in today's marketplace I think it's legitimate to switch loyalties for any reason in the world. You pay plenty for the NFL experience, and that entitles you to enjoy it any way you see fit. When people talk about "die-hard fans," owners see cash cows. They'd abandon their city if a better deal came along. Your favorite player on your favorite team would gladly wear your hated rival's jersey for a little more money. I can understand how, decades ago, fans supported a team through thick and thin because they were building something. Players stayed on teams, fans weren't charged an arm and a leg and there was true loyalty on both sides. I'm not lamenting the change from the "good old days." It's still a great sport to watch and the talent level is better today than at any point in the sport's history. But it's different now, and fans who offer the same loyalties as before get almost nothing in return. I'm not saying to turn your back on the league. I'm saying to be loyal to yourself instead. If it's more convenient to support the local team, do it. If you like a certain coach's attitude, go ahead and start supporting the team. And if you'd rather support your fantasy team instead, never go to another game and set up a digital headquarters in your basement. Jerry Seinfeld had a bit about how being loyal to a team wasn't about players or coaches, since they leave so frequently. It's really about loyalty to a logo and a set of colors. "My shirt can beat your shirt." So when is it legitimate to change loyalty to a shirt? Any time.

i grew up a loyal lions fan for 30 years ,but im more a fan of the nfl game than a team . a few years back, i noticed when i watched a game other than the lions, i enjoyed myself . and when i turned back to the lions, it was like gaging down liver oil and saying "ive always watched them, must continue". ive always latched on to other teams who had a shot for a title even when i watched the lions though since they always suck and nfl is the only sport i like. i liked the 80s bears and giants. really enjoyed the favre packer teams/games . when i saw the patriots on the super bowl runs, i thought coach was the most interesting ive seen in a long time . and i thought brady , along with montana was the most intuitive qb ive ever seen . eventually i wanted to get the ticket so i could follow the patriots as long as coach and brady are there . before i had the ticket and had to watch what was on, i would read nfl history more . so i got to enjoy the history of the packers, bears and steelers . i also do not enjoy dome games . so was drawn to teams that play in a great outside stadium. i never liked the patriots before, but like them now . i used to like the giants and hate them now . go with what you like . some like 1 team loyal . others like the league . there are no rules for enjoying something .
You my friend are THE definition of a Bandwagon Fan......You can enjoy it all you want but, that's still the definition.But, at least you're in good company with the Pats....

Although I just can't make myself do it, I WISH i could drop my beloved Redskins. I'm so tired of the suck. Those 3 SB titles I watched growing up seem like an eternity ago. :shrug:

You my friend are THE definition of a Bandwagon Fan......You can enjoy it all you want but, that's still the definition.But, at least you're in good company with the Pats....
I think you're right technically, but it's looking more and more like the "bandwagon" fan is the shrewd customer while the "loyal" fan is the sucker whose money is already in the owner's pocket. Should he reward the Ford family for putting a crappy product on the field? If a restaurant has better food, a nicer atmosphere and live entertainment, why should you be "loyal" to the dirty burger joint just because you grew up closer to it?

whenever you want because you are a rational human being with decision making skills and the nfl is just a silly game...

If you were ever a Real Sports fan who lived and breathed for your team got ulcers when they lost and felt the emotional joy when they won, there is no such thing as changing teams, not even an option.If you're a bandwagoner semi-fan, then do whatever you want.I bleed the color of my teams and that can never change.
I actually agree with this - I have been a Mets and Jets fan forever (I guess I'm just a masochist), and I can't imagine ever switching, no matter how bad they are or whether or not I move. In fact, I did live in Ca for a while, and would go to the SF - NYM games and loudly cheer for my Mets. Now, I do like other teams and will root for them - like the Saints - and sometimes I will root for teams if they have a player that I like, but I will always root for my team first.

I actually grew up a Giants fan - celebrated their 2 SB as a kid.

In 1994 I moved to Atlanta. I didn't know it at the time, but 16+ years later, I haven't moved. I've built my life here. In 1994, baseball went on strike. Baseball had been my favorite sport growing up and I was a die-hard Mets fan. I held a grudge against baseball and vowed that I would not pay one cent for a ticket for at least 5 years. In the absense of baseball, football and basketball filled the void. I've never gone back to being a baseball fan BTW...sport lost me.

In 1997, I unknowingly played golf with one of the Falcons assistant coaches who had been brought in by recently hired Dan Reeves. I did not realize this until after we had started talking about sports, when I exclaimed "Dan Reeves couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag". Said assistant coach was really gracious about my point of view although he obviously disagreed. But throughout the round was giving us some tips on who they would be signing FA wise et al. I endeavored to give the Falcons a chance as a secondary team I watched and followed.

In 1998, I had met the women who would wind up my wife. One of the things we did that first year we were dating was go to Falcons games and that was the season the Falcons made the SB. She had roots down here with family and so I knew that the probability was high that Atlanta was my home. I thought that it would be cool if one day, we could take our kids and as a family have season tickets. Giants fans know that while a ticket can be had if you want to go...season tickets are simply not available. I made the switch.

In 2002, Arthur Blank took over the team and slashed ticket prices to a point where I could afford them. My brother, who had since moved down to Atlanta and I got 6. He's since dropped off so I carry 4 now. My kids were born in 2001 & 2003. Now, we go to all the games. They are huge Falcons fans. It will be something that bonds us in the future when maybe hanging out with Mom & Dad isn't considered the greatest way to spend time had I not chosen to switch allegiances.

Even though the Giants have since won a SB and the Falcons have had their struggles (2007 was by far the most brutal fan experience ever), I'd make the same choice. Our NFL experience, my NFL experience, is much better than it would have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
The less you care, the more you can change.

NFL - Seahawks since the day they entered the league (1976).

College Football - U of New Mexico (don't laugh), with Michigan runner-up.

College Basketball - U of New Mexico, with Mighican and Duke runner-ups.

NBA - Was Hawks until Dominique left, then was wherever Chris Webber played (Golden State, WAS, SAC) until he left the Kings. Still the Kings.

MLB - At various times have been Dodgers, Pirates, Dogders, Diamondbacks, and now back to Dodgers. My only loyalty here is to the National League.

renesauz said:
I'm one of those who despises "bandwagoners". I respect old time fans who have bled their teams colors their entire lives.

That said, I firmly believe it's OK to switch to the local team. Move to Houston, I won't hold it against you if you decide to root for the Texans. Move to Oakland, I'll laugh, but won't criticize you a lot if you choose to go to the Silver and Black. If you live in Northern VA and suddenly decide you're a Patriots fan after growing up rooting for the Skins, I'm all over you.
Completely switch?That I don't get. You can be a fan of the new town's team, but your priority should still reside with the original team.

Im a pats fan by default...but i bleed silver and black....my dad , god rest his soul , was a HUGE pats fan so i grew up watching them ...but when i watched the RAIDERS beat the crap out of the redskins on BLACK SUNDAY back in 1984 i was just drawn to the team in way i cant describe...i just knew they fit my personality...been in love with them ever since...and i live in new england...go figure

renesauz said:

Completely switch?That I don't get. You can be a fan of the new town's team, but your priority should still reside with the original team.
Is their priority with you?

renesauz said:

I'm with renesauz here. Used to be an Atlanta fan after having lived there before Carolina--but when the Panthers came into existence the change was immediate. I do still root for players I like despite free agency moves--Julius Peppers comes to mind as one of the most recent.

renesauz said:

Sure...but I think moving to that city (or having a club come to your own previously unoccupied city) is the only legit excuse for a complete switch.It's a bit more complicated when the new team is a direct rival of the old team. I've been livng in Tidewater are of VA for over a decade....technically Redskins territory although their hold on the locals isn't near as strong as northern VA. I can't bring myself to root for them ahead of the Eagles, but find myself wishing them well otherwise.

Loyalty to professional sports teams, in most cases seems something between quaint and ridiculous. If you're a Niner fan, what are you a fan of? Candlestick Park? (blech) The owners? (blech) Mike Singletary? (blech) Alex Smith? (blech)The way coaches and players turn over these days, basically, you're rooting for laundry. Certainly the team doesn't have any loyalty to you; they'll move to Santa Clara or to LA as soon as they get a good enough opportunity. If the sports team has some distinguishing characteristic that makes it worth rooting for, that's a different thing. The way the Green Bay Packers are connected to the local community makes them a franchise worth rooting for (even if you're not in Green Bay). College sports are connected to an institution which has its own integrity (or not). But most pro sports franchises are nothing more than billionaire owners paying millionaire coaches and athletes. Why should a working stiff care what laundry they wear? Of course, sport team loyalty isn't really about the sport, it's about the community. People root for a team because the people in their community root for a team. The noise in this thread about how "real" fans don't change teams is tribalism; when you show up in Oakland in silver and black, you've joined the Raiders tribe, and if you later decide that Al Davis is a swindling incompetent boob who you don't want to support, you've rejected the Raiders tribe.
You must be fun at parties.

With free agency, coach turnover, etc., you are basically rooting for laundry. HTH. [/seinfeld]

BTW, I have lots of Bears laundry and scream at the TV for my laundry to hit other colored laundry real hard. GO BEARS LAUNDRY!!!!!!!!!!! DA LAUNDRY!

In answer to the original post....moving is an acceptable reason to change team...erm...laundry alliances. We've been over this before in here - about once a year (at least) this question comes up. Usually it's from Lions fans or Rams fans, but yeah.

you're right, following sports has nothing to do with passion that, while possibly irrational, provides highs and lows that add to life's enjoyment.

you're right, following sports has nothing to do with passion that, while possibly irrational, provides highs and lows that add to life's enjoyment.
What an interesting jump you made from "your priority should still reside with the original team" to simply "following sports." Was that done for a special reason or did you just need to shoehorn a point in there? Still, the fact that you didn't answer makes me wonder if you think the team's priority is with him, as you say his should be with the original team.

I have two layers of fandom. At the deepest layer, I have my geographic teams. As someone from Philly, my first allegiance is to home teams. There is absolutely no "legitimate" team switching. It is a personal choice and whether somebody thinks okay or not means nothing. If people move, I can understand picking one or even maintaining both allegiance. But to say someone is stuck with a team is BS. There isnt some sports caste system you can never escape.

The second layer is basically any team that I just like. I was pulling for the Cards when they completely sucked--not so much when they started winning. I like the Raiders because they have players I like. I like the Jets because they are entertaining. I like the Pats because they are good. I root for the Lions like I rooted for the Cards. Just a fan for the storylines with really no emotional involvement.

Dramatic games are what I'm really a fan of--unless the Eagles are playing then it is pure fanaticism.

And this is why "legitimate" team switching is impossible. If your from Detriot and your team has sucked, moving somewhere that has a better team might tempt them to switch. But if you move from a place where the team is awesome, what reason do you have to switch? This idea of legitimacy is very inconsistent.

I grew up in Northern California and moved permanently to San Diego in my early 20's. I immediately switched to the Chargers and Padres and could not be happier about rooting for the home teams. I would not watch my new favorite teams when they played the old ones and after about 5 years most of the players were gone from my old teams. Watching a Chargers playoff game with the entire city shutdown is 100 times more fun than watching your team in the corner of the sports bar by yourself. I was actually at opening day when a Padres fan threw a giant syringe at Barry Bonds and I thought it was funny. I grew up cutting high school and sitting in the left field bleachers behind Bonds for $6 and heckling the other left fielder all day about how they were horrible compared to Bonds. When the Giants made the world series this year I rooted for them even though I was rooting for the Padres all year in a pennant race against them during the season. Your old friends will give you #### but who cares. Rooting for the home team is awesome and a great way to embrace your new city. Teams are run by corporations and could care less about you. Life is short have fun.

My team is like a kid to me, I'll always love it no matter what it does, where it or I move. I suppose if I ever moved it would be like having an additional kid.

According to Bill Simmons:

"Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:

Your team moves to another city.

You grew up in a city that didn't field a team for a specific sport - so you picked a random team - and then either a.) your city landed a team, or b.) you moved to a city that fielded a team for that specific sport.

One of your immediate family members either plays professionally or takes a relevant management/coaching/front office position with a pro team.

You follow your favorite college star (and this has to be a once-in-a-generation favorite college star) to the pros and root for his team du jour. Only works if there isn't a pro team in your area.

The owner of your favorite team treated his fans so egregiously over the years that you couldn't take it anymore -- you would rather not follow them at all then support a franchise with this owner in charge."
Exactly, this is what it feels like to root for the cowboys

Nice bump, and interesting topic. I'd say you should stick with the team you grew up rooting for no matter what, but an argument could be made if you actually move to a new city and weren't TOO tied to the previous team. Even then it's iffy though. However, with free agency/trades becoming so much more prevalent in sports (this applies mainly to NBA), a lot of fans follow their favourite player and start cheering on that team.

Suffering Met fan here. Thank God for Giants winning 4 Super Bowls and Devils winning 3 Stanley Cups since Mets last won. Rooted for Jordan hard as well. Those 6 Championships felt like the Nets winning.

I’ve rooted for losers my whole life - SF Giants, SF 49ers, GSW, Sj Sharks

When those losers became winners, the excitement was off the charts for the journey it took to get there.

Now I’m lucky enough to root for winners. SF Giants won 3 WS titles, 49ers 5 SB, GSW 4 championships. Sharks…well, the sharks are still trying, bless their hearts.

But yeah - grinding out the years of agony makes the joy that much more joyous.

Nobody likes a bandwagoner. Stick with your team.

In before the move.

I cannot imagine ever changing teams. Bengals, Reds, Buckeyes, UD Flyers ... Sure I'll root for a pet team for whatever reason, I root for the Royals just because they suck. I liked Tom later in his career and rooted for the Patriots. But a pet team is just a pet team. I don't think I could ever not bleed my home teams' colors ... Success be damned, ownership be damned, etc.

I cannot imagine ever changing teams. Bengals, Reds, Buckeyes, UD Flyers ... Sure I'll root for a pet team for whatever reason, I root for the Royals just because they suck. I liked Tom later in his career and rooted for the Patriots. But a pet team is just a pet team. I don't think I could ever not bleed my home teams' colors ... Success be damned, ownership be damned, etc.
FF and FBB have made me root for players, but team loyalty is always first & foremost.

If my FF players having a crap day means my RL team winning, I’m rooting for my RL team to win.

Oh, forgot to add: But I don't look down on anybody who does change loyalties. That's just not my way. I might think "Uhhhh ... strange way to live your life ... but you do you!"

Oh, forgot to add: But I don't look down on anybody who does change loyalties. That's just not my way. I might think "Uhhhh ... strange way to live your life ... but you do you!"
It’s a fair point.

Frontrunners do exist. I used to work with one. They’d have a cap of whatever team was in 1st that year.

I thought she was a bit weird for it, but hey, she got to celebrate every year when I was miserable, so good for her I guess. I don’t understand it, but I won’t hate on it.

I took about the last 5 years of the Washington ****show off. First I moved them to the second screen, then bumped them to third screen, then off altogether. There was no replacement team. I don’t begrudge those who started rooting for other teams, but if you really care about a team, you can’t just manufacture a replacement. Enjoy the league, fantasy, etc but there’s no actual replacement. Just a void.

Snyder is gone and I am fully back to my die hard fan status. Feels great watching this new era begin.

Living in Orlando, FL, I was a fan of the Atlanta Thrashers hockey team because here in Orlando, we had the minor league affiliate for the Thrashers. The minor league team folded and the Thrashers became the Calgary Flames so I switched my loyalty to the local Lightning.

This isn't the only reason but if the owner of the team you love kidnaps your Nonno and tortures him for a dozen years in a Balkan Cave, I think it's totally ok to change your alliance.

I don't begrudge anybody who changes teams according to the Simmons rules or who is a transplant that will spend a great deal of time in the city of the person's relocation. I find myself agreeing with Neil Beaufort Zod's reasoning from 2011, but I dislike fans who are bandwagon fans and change teams willy-nilly like that. I think it actually says something about a person's personality and moral compass when they do that. Then again, if one can't ever change, what room is there for growth if one changes with new evidence or reasoning, or what room is there for sound principles if the team you're rooting for has abandoned those?

As far as I go, I know for a fact that my favorite hockey team as a young man moved and I still haven't found a replacement. So I know where I stand on that. I am now in Southern California and consider myself a really, really tepid L.A. Kings fan just because, but nobody will ever replace the team I rooted for with a passion as a youth, the Hartford Whalers.

Woody and Chris Johnson and their Sandy Hook-denying quarterback are making it awfully tough to cheer for the Jets. I mean, really tough. But I'm not switching teams. I grew up a Giants, Jets, and Raiders fan and ditched the Giants and Raiders when I had to choose just one. Now they all sort of stink, which is fitting.

I don't begrudge anybody who changes teams according to the Simmons rules or who is a transplant that will spend a great deal of time in the city of the person's relocation. I find myself agreeing with Neil Beaufort Zod's reasoning from 2011, but I dislike fans who are bandwagon fans and change teams willy-nilly like that. I think it actually says something about a person's personality and moral compass when they do that. Then again, if one can't ever change, what room is there for growth if one changes with new evidence or reasoning, or what room is there for sound principles if the team you're rooting for has abandoned those?

As far as I go, I know for a fact that my favorite hockey team as a young man moved and I still haven't found a replacement. So I know where I stand on that. I am now in Southern California and consider myself a really, really tepid L.A. Kings fan just because, but nobody will ever replace the team I rooted for with a passion as a youth, the Hartford Whalers.

Woody and Chris Johnson and their Sandy Hook-denying quarterback are making it awfully tough to cheer for the Jets. I mean, really tough. But I'm not switching teams. I grew up a Giants, Jets, and Raiders fan and ditched the Giants and Raiders when I had to choose just one. Now they all sort of stink, which is fitting.
What about the Balkan Cave situation I brought up earlier?

or who is a transplant that will spend a great deal of time in the city of the person's relocation.
I lived in Seattle for 3+ years.

I went to a ton of M’s games. I rooted for the M’s at those games.

But I always wore my Giants cap. I was never not a Giants fan.

Users who are viewing this thread