What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When the hell will the Lions hire a coach (1 Viewer)

C

Cunning Linguist

They have had more time that ANYONE ELSE to hire someone. What is the hold up? They have already met their silly minority quota. Let's going before all the top candidates are gone!

They have had more time that ANYONE ELSE to hire someone. What is the hold up? They have already met their silly minority quota. Let's going before all the top candidates are gone!
They're waiting for the chance to talk to Russ Grimm. I think they'll get their chance to talk to him tonight or tomorrow. I say the chance he is their next head coach is very high.

My guess is that they are dealing with what everyone else is dealing with: a very shallow talent pool. Pretty much everybody out there has a blemish of some sort: too young, too old, has-been, never was, etc.Every candidate out there has issues. Who are the top candidates at this point anyway?

Yep, sounds like Grimm is the man:

Russ Grimm at the top of the list for lions head coaching job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Steelers assistant coach Russ Grimm

CINCINNATI -- Pittsburgh offensive line coach Russ Grimm said Sunday he had not heard from the Lions -- at least not yet -- and declined to comment on his level of interest in their head coaching job.

"I'll wait and see what happens and deal with it then," Grimm said.

But the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports today that the Lions have asked the Steelers for permission to speak to Grimm, and he is reportedly at or near the top of the Lions' list.

Grimm, who also holds the title of assistant head coach, played with Lions president Matt Millen for a season in Washington and has some of the characteristics Millen has said he wants, such as discipline and toughness.

Pittsburgh offensive lineman Jeff Hartings, who played for the Lions in 1996-2000, said Grimm wanted to become a head coach and would be a good one

Just found this:"Matt Millen is expected to fly to Pittsburgh on Thursday to conduct a first interview with Grimm. Because of league rules, Grimm will not be allowed to undergo a second interview until the Steelers are no longer in the playoffs. This may factor into how long the Lions organization is willing to wait to pick a new head coach for the Detroit Lions."

I wouldn't be in a hurry if I were Matt Millen. The best candidates can't be hired until after their teams are out of the playoffs, so the Lions are no different than any other NFL team with a head coaching vacancy.I also agree that the talent pool out there seems pretty thin compared to recent years.. maybe that's just because we (the general public) aren't as familiar with these candidates and what they bring to the table.Take, Russ Grimm, for instance. We're familiar with him as a member of the old Hogs (Redskins o-line) from the Super Bowl years, but as a coach I don't have any feeling whether he's viable or not. Who REALLY knew that Marty Morninwheg was a turd except those who've worked with him in Green Bay, SF, etc?

I wouldn't be in a hurry if I were Matt Millen. The best candidates can't be hired until after their teams are out of the playoffs, so the Lions are no different than any other NFL team with a head coaching vacancy.

I also agree that the talent pool out there seems pretty thin compared to recent years.. maybe that's just because we (the general public) aren't as familiar with these candidates and what they bring to the table.

Take, Russ Grimm, for instance. We're familiar with him as a member of the old Hogs (Redskins o-line) from the Super Bowl years, but as a coach I don't have any feeling whether he's viable or not.

Who REALLY knew that Marty Morninwheg was a turd except those who've worked with him in Green Bay, SF, etc?
Yes. Shallow talent pool to begin with combined with the fact that 25% of the teams are basically off-limits due to their involvement in the playoffs. And generally you would expect the top talent to be coming from these playoff teams.

thinking of a Russ Grimm O-line with Kevin Jones gives me a woody.
In theory, yes, however.. keep in mind the Lions hired Charles Haley to be the DL coach under Morningwheg a few years back, yet there were no tangible results and the Lions had one of the worst pass rushes in the league.We need better talent first.

I don't care if Joe Bugel or Alex Gibbs comes here.

Jeff Backus is an average - at best - tackle. He's probably a bit below average as a left tackle, but might be a smidgeon better on the right. He's not overly physical. He's not a mauler. He gets beaten consistently by speed rushers. Not sure if he's the answer at all, but he's definitely not the biggest problem on the line either.

Dominic Raiola is awful. He lacks the strength needed to be an above average center in the NFL and he NEVER gets the Lions a strong push up the middle for short yardage plays. While I'm not in the majority of people who want Matt Millen's head to roll, giving Raiola a new contract last year was a horrible mistake.

Damien Woody is merely average at this point in his career and he's not getting any better at this stage either.

Rick DeMulling is a journeyman. Nothing special. He'll get the job done, but he's definitely not an upper tier interior lineman, but like Backus, he's not the problem.

Kelly Butler was a train wreck this year. I was pulling for him big-time, but the fact is that he was just over his head starting at RT. Maybe he'd be better coming off the bench as a swing tackle, but without a more physical player at RT the Lions running game will never live up to its potential I'm afraid.

If Russ Grimm can make it work with our current players, they should give him a contract for life. :)

thinking of a Russ Grimm O-line with Kevin Jones gives me a woody.
In theory, yes, however.. keep in mind the Lions hired Charles Haley to be the DL coach under Morningwheg a few years back, yet there were no tangible results and the Lions had one of the worst pass rushes in the league.
Does Charles Haley have a good rep as far as coaching?

My $$ is still on Jim Haslett. I read someplace that Grimm is a TERRIBLE interview and that there are concerns that he won't be able to bring good coaches to the D

Is Matt Millen still GM?

If so, why?
Generally, when you are hired into a position, you retain that position until you are either fired or you resign. Neither has occurred.

My $$ is still on Jim Haslett. I read someplace that Grimm is a TERRIBLE interview and that there are concerns that he won't be able to bring good coaches to the D
Both Haslett and Grimm suck. There has got to be a candidate out there that can do a better job than these two. Hopefully Matt Millen can find that candidate. But I doubt it.

My $$ is still on Jim Haslett.  I read someplace that Grimm is a TERRIBLE interview and that there are concerns that he won't be able to bring good coaches to the D
Both Haslett and Grimm suck. There has got to be a candidate out there that can do a better job than these two. Hopefully Matt Millen can find that candidate. But I doubt it.
what's wrong with Grimm?

Butler a trainwreck?! He was about the only bright spot on the line.

The line needs work, but good lord get a grip.
Please do elaborate.. what would you define as a bright spot?Trainwreck is hyperbole, but he definitely wasn't very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a classic Millen move. Bring in a head coach with a worse record than the one you just fired. Personally I'd like to see them hire Gary Kubiak. Not sure if he'd be interested in coming here, but he'd bring some respectability to the running game. I also hope they keep Juron on as DC. He has done a nice job with the Defense and developement of their younger players. The D hasn't been that bad, just plagued with injuries.

I posted this above about Grimm:

I'm telling you, this is going to be a HUGE mistake.

Various reports from other GMs claim he will be a horrible head coach.

No I do not have links. It's been talked about on the radio here at great length.

If they hire Grimm without at least interviewing T. Lewis, Millen is a joke.

He'd rather hire his buddy and former teammate than possible a better candidate.

No I do not have links. It's been talked about on the radio here at great length.

He'd rather hire his buddy and former teammate than possible a better candidate.
Millen could hire Lombardi re-incarnated and most would call it a joke.Interesting about Grimm, most of what I've read on him has been positive.

Yeah, that Giant D looked pretty good last week. Lewis is definitely a better candidate :rolleyes:

Yeah, that Giant D looked pretty good last week. Lewis is definitely a better candidate :rolleyes:
Lewis is probably one of the hotter candidates this year. It's at least worth talking to the guy isn't it?I think Grimm would bring a tough attitude. But does he have the coaching credential to step in as a head coach?

And don't point out one game as a reason to not hire Lewis.

I'm sure you can find a few games where the OL in Pitt had a poor outing.

Maybe they're trying to locate Wayne Fontes so they can bring him back. :X
Wayne Fontes would be a big step in the right direction. I've never understood all the hatred for the guy - unless it's all based on the fact that they couldn't win in the playoffs enough with Sanders & company.When your team is horrible, getting to average or just above is a good thing.

Maybe they're trying to locate Wayne Fontes so they can bring him back.  :X
Wayne Fontes would be a big step in the right direction. I've never understood all the hatred for the guy - unless it's all based on the fact that they couldn't win in the playoffs enough with Sanders & company.When your team is horrible, getting to average or just above is a good thing.
GB the dumbing down of the Shark Pool.

Rod Marinelli from Tampa is said to be on top of the leaderboard today.From a defensive standpoint, he'd be an excellent hire for you guys.

Rod Marinelli from Tampa is said to be on top of the leaderboard today.

From a defensive standpoint, he'd be an excellent hire for you guys.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!....if Bates leaves Id love to see this guy as DC for the Packers.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!....if Bates leaves Id love to see this guy as DC for the Packers.
Sorry, just from what I've read, it doesn't seem likely.Rod will either:

a) Get a HC job

b) Go where Ron Rivera goes (to be his DC)

c) Stay in Tampa (least likely of the three)

Haven't heard about him interviewing anywhere else to be a DC.

a) Get a HC job

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions sign Rivera and bringing Marinelli as DC. :thumbup:

I broke the cardinal rule of fantasy football in 2005. That rule:

Do not, under anycircumstances, take a Lions player. If you find yourself tempted by a new WR addition or a new coach or a new scheme or a hot second half of the previous season, just keep repeating "They are still on the Lions. They will find a way to screw things up."

I am serious. I am going to make my rankings for 2006 and add in a fractional multiplier to knock down all players with a DET next to their name. Hopefully this will keep me from making the same mistakes again.

And remember!!

"They are still on the Lions. They will find a way to screw things up."

Maybe they're trying to locate Wayne Fontes so they can bring him back.  :X
Because they chronically underachieved and lacked discipline. Wayne's only saving grace was rallying the team to save his job each and EVERY year. Then he would fire whatever assistant that made the most sense every year to keep his job setting the team back because they had to learn a new offense or defense almost every year in his tenure.Outside of that.. he was funny, amicable and highly entertaining character, but he never got that team as far in the playoffs as they should've gone.. of course, some of that was due to Scott Mitchell, who was ostracized by nearly the entire team and not well like by his teammates.

1 - what coaching credentials does Grimm have (sincere question, don't know offhand)2 - what's the rush to hire a HC3 - why wasn't everyone ripping Millen this past summer, or after the draft? Yeah some were, but many were not, and many even said he'd done a good job drafting the last couple of years (trading back up to get K Jones, etc etc). Now there are more Millen-hate bandwagoners than there are Bush-is-God bandwagoners.Isn't hindsight great?

a) Get a HC job

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions sign Rivera and bringing Marinelli as DC. :thumbup:
As a Bears fan, I would. :thumbdown:

Lewis is probably one of the hotter candidates this year. It's at least worth talking to the guy isn't it?I think Grimm would bring a tough attitude. But does he have the coaching credential to step in as a head coach?

And don't point out one game as a reason to not hire Lewis.

I'm sure you can find a few games where the OL in Pitt had a poor outing.
OK, you're right--not fair to judge him on one game. I'm still not sure how he's the linchpin of a successful coach search. The Giants D ranked 14th in points this year, and 24th in yards.Aside from that, I can think of one very good reason for Millen not to give him an interview: Lewis was one of the minority candidates who turned down an interview before Mariucci was hired, causing the Lions to get fined. F him.

Grimm's coaching credentials are that he was the Steelers' o-line coach for several years, between approx 2001-03, before being elevated to coordinator. Under him the lines greatly improved. The last two years have been spent calling the offense around Big Ben, and given the departure of Burress and the development of Ben, he's done well. JMHO, but he probably could use a little more experience before jumping into head coaching, particularly in an organization as troubled and dysfunctional as Detroit. However, he's certainly a good coaching prospect.

Actually, Grimm is not the O-coordinator. Ken Whisenhunt is. Grimm is still the Oline coach and Asst. Head Coach.

According to Tom Kowalski, Grimm is now out of the running...http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...6970.xml&coll=1

One of the candidates who was believed to be high on Detroit's list, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, no longer appears to be in the running for the job."We are still in the mode where we will not confirm or deny any reports regarding our head coaching position," said Lions senior vice president of communications Bill Keenist.
Apparently, it's down to Marinelli and Haslett... I thought Grimm would be a good choice, so I'm hoping that Kowalski is wrong on this.

According to Tom Kowalski, Grimm is now out of the running...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...6970.xml&coll=1

One of the candidates who was believed to be high on Detroit's list, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, no longer appears to be in the running for the job.

"We are still in the mode where we will not confirm or deny any reports regarding our head coaching position," said Lions senior vice president of communications Bill Keenist.
Apparently, it's down to Marinelli and Haslett... I thought Grimm would be a good choice, so I'm hoping that Kowalski is wrong on this.
You know the Lions will hire Haslett. Losers are attracted to losers.

Millen: "Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great pleasure and admiration that I announce to you the next HC of the 2007 Super Bowl Champion Detroit Lions...CARROTTOP!!! This guy is sooooo funny! He's my favorite!"

Users who are viewing this thread