What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional? (1 Viewer)

Which NFL franchise is currently the most dysfunctional?

• N.Y. Jets

Votes: 19 4.3%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 40 9.0%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 179 40.2%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 21 4.7%
  • Oakland Raiders

Votes: 86 19.3%
  • Washington Redskins

Votes: 59 13.3%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 22 4.9%
  • Other Team

Votes: 19 4.3%

• Total voters
Watching the Eddie DeBartolo story on NFLN the other night, they raised the massive disaster of the trading several picks for OJ Simpson and the fact that Walsh was the fifth coach in four years.

Made me think of the Browns.

It's saying something that even in light of the nonsense in Miami this offseason, Cleveland is the clear winner here. They're like the Matt Millian era Lions. It's THAT bad.

Oakland is gaining on us (Browns).............even when they sign a guy they don't get him cause he fails his physical, though lucky for them cause they woulda paid that guy like 3x his worth, maybe more.

And they traded for Schaub???

I still think the Browns are easily more dysfunctional, but as of right now it seems Oakland is the least attractive place to play for free agents.

Rotoworld:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam's Pilot Flying J company has reached an agreement with federal investigators and will be not prosecuted.

Pilot Flying J will pay a $92 million penalty over the next two years as part of the plea deal. It also must cooperate with the terms of the agreement. The CEO of Pilot Flying J, Haslam stood accused by the IRS and FBI of engaging in a fraud scheme to keep millions of dollars owed to customers on gas rebates. It was once feared that Haslam's ownership of the Browns might be tenuous.

Source: Knoxville News Sentinel

Jul 14 - 1:24 PM

Oakland is gaining on us (Browns).............even when they sign a guy they don't get him cause he fails his physical, though lucky for them cause they woulda paid that guy like 3x his worth, maybe more.

And they traded for Schaub???

I still think the Browns are easily more dysfunctional, but as of right now it seems Oakland is the least attractive place to play for free agents.
they seem to sign a lot of fa for a place that's the least attractive for fa

although, don't take this in any way as a defense of the oakland raiders.

Update? - The Browns sure don't seem dysfunctional anymore.

Browns, Lions, Cowboys and Phins are collectively 26-14.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to be the Skins now. The Browns must have relinquished the title. SEVERAL teams seem more dysfunctional than the Browns, including, but not limited to: Atlanta, the Jets, the Giants, the Bears, the Bucs.

Not Detroit!

For once.
They may be on a temporary uptick, but Detroit is hands down the most dysfunctional franchise in the Super Bowl era and until they at least make a Super Bowl appearance has to be considered the worst based upon their body of work.

Not Detroit!

For once.
They may be on a temporary uptick, but Detroit is hands down the most dysfunctional franchise in the Super Bowl era and until they at least make a Super Bowl appearance has to be considered the worst based upon their body of work.
The Lions had the worst record in the NFL 2000-2009. Since the start of the 2010 season, they're 20th. Nothing to brag about, but hardly the worst.

It is frustrating they have never gone to the Super Bowl, as every other franchise that was in existence in 1966 has gone at least once. But the most dysfunctional? Chicago/St Louis/Arizona has had six playoff appearances since 1948. The Lions had six playoff appearances in the 1990s alone.

They're definitely in the conversation of the most dysfunctional franchises in any sport over the last 57 years, but hardly the worst based upon their body of work.

Sadly. Oakland is known as the Team where Wide Recievers go to d i e...

Cleveland is running a close second with their ability to struggle for no apparent reason ..

Tampa Bay appears to have developed a desire to play catch-up w/ the Browns. ie. whose the QB? Defense?

HTTR. The Skins appear to be showing every NFL Team the dangers of making changes too quickly.

DaBears showed us how important a strong defense is too Chicago

IMHO All of the above teams are missing more then just a Coaching change Or a shiny new QB..

Edit. My Vote goes to Chicago, because that Defense may not be rebuilt over-night, and the wheels may come off Forte soon too (IF hes not gone for Tampa)

The Jets.

When you look at what Chip Kelly has done with Marc Sanchez, you have to think his Jets tenure has a lot to do with the coaches and GM. Going 2-10 is bad, but watching that butt fumbling goof you cut now head the NFL's top offense is just wretched. What a cluster#### of a franchise.

The Jets are looking pretty bad these days. Changed my vote. Currently most dysfunctional? Jets, and it doesn't even seem close. Jacksonville looks to have a bright future. Very good skill players and a decent defense. The Jets have a gaping, gaping hole at the most important position. Their quarterbacks aren't even serviceable.

good candidates all, but you have to give the Lifetime Achievemant award in this category to the Raiders.
Sure, if you're 10 years old. Otherwise, we're talking about a franchise with a 53.5% lifetime winning percentage, five superbowl appearances, three league championships, and a fistful of Hall of Famers (Otto, Shell, Brown, Madden, Upshaw, Biletnikoff, Long, Hendricks, Allen, pretty soon Guy, eventually Davis, and I'm sure I'm still missing some), in addition to many more HoF finalists (Brown, Wisniewski, Hayes, etc.)

Compare that to the Arizona Cardinals and their 41.9% lifetime winning percentage, who have been in existence since 1920 and have made the playoffs 8 times. Not a typo. Eight. Although, in fairness, they did win a league championship back in 1925 when it was awarded to the team with the best overall record (i.e. no postseason). They went 11-2-1 that year, with wins over the Milwaukee Badgers, Columbus Tigers, Kansas City Cowboys, Duluth Kelleys, Buffalo Bisons, Dayton City Triangles, Rock Island Independents, and Hammond Pros. It was probably the high point in franchise history.
A losing team does not mean a dysfunctional team. The Cards don't have an eccentric/egomaniac owner calling the shots or locker room scandals or serious personnel issues. The Packers went through multiple decades of losing between Starr and Favre but I would never have called them dysfunctional.

I have to say the Raiders, and I think this is a pretty good indication of how clueless that management team is .... search "oakland raiders gloves" and look at the emblems on their hands. They can't even get the design right so they overlap when you hold them up together. They just put the logo on both of their hands ... LOL!

And that's, of course, not mentioning their utter inability to manage the salary cap, letting two blue-chip players walk this off-season, horrible drafting for the last 10 years, etc.

Honestly, I think with everything going on now, it has to be the Redskins. And this is coming from a Redskins fan.

Just for starters, you have the whole name debate. The Redskins have done a very poor job of handling it. Their PR team is a train wreck and has hurt the cause more than it's helped.

Then you have the whole RG3 debacle. This is team that just over 2 years ago traded up in the draft to select RG3 to come and be the franchise QB. He looked amazing in 2012 before getting injured in the playoff game. Since then, he hasn't quite looked right and now is riding in the bench in favor of Colt McCoy. Yes, in 2 years RG3 went from hero to scapegoat. What other team would trade the picks they did and then 2 years later basically just give up on the player?

Also have the coaching debacle. Since Snyder has taken over, no HC has been with the team for more than 4 seasons and not one has had their contract extended. Snyer has owned this team since 2000. He's hired Marty, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanahan and Gruden. 6 coaching hires in 15 seasons.

And then finally, these the weekly media leaks. What other team in sports has such a hard problem with keeping things in house? Seems like every week there's a story on Sunday pregame shows about some crazy Redskins related story. "The team hates RG3". " The owner wanted RG3 to start." "Cousins is Gruden's guy." "RG3 unlikely to return in 2015." Other teams that have been bad for awhile like the Jags, Raiders, Browns, etc. do so with little drama surrounding the team. The Redskins can't just be bad, they have to be bad and the talk of the league at the same time.

For the amount of talent the Bears have on offense, I'd say we are pretty pathetic. It might get worse with Forte who is getting up there in age, a possible coaching change and maybe another bad coaching hire by Phil Emery.

I was surprised to see so many teams to choose from.

When I opened this thread I was expecting...

a) Oakland Raiders

b) other ___________.

good candidates all, but you have to give the Lifetime Achievemant award in this category to the Raiders.
Sure, if you're 10 years old. Otherwise, we're talking about a franchise with a 53.5% lifetime winning percentage, five superbowl appearances, three league championships, and a fistful of Hall of Famers (Otto, Shell, Brown, Madden, Upshaw, Biletnikoff, Long, Hendricks, Allen, pretty soon Guy, eventually Davis, and I'm sure I'm still missing some), in addition to many more HoF finalists (Brown, Wisniewski, Hayes, etc.)

Compare that to the Arizona Cardinals and their 41.9% lifetime winning percentage, who have been in existence since 1920 and have made the playoffs 8 times. Not a typo. Eight. Although, in fairness, they did win a league championship back in 1925 when it was awarded to the team with the best overall record (i.e. no postseason). They went 11-2-1 that year, with wins over the Milwaukee Badgers, Columbus Tigers, Kansas City Cowboys, Duluth Kelleys, Buffalo Bisons, Dayton City Triangles, Rock Island Independents, and Hammond Pros. It was probably the high point in franchise history.
A losing team does not mean a dysfunctional team. The Cards don't have an eccentric/egomaniac owner calling the shots or locker room scandals or serious personnel issues. The Packers went through multiple decades of losing between Starr and Favre but I would never have called them dysfunctional.

I have to say the Raiders, and I think this is a pretty good indication of how clueless that management team is .... search "oakland raiders gloves" and look at the emblems on their hands. They can't even get the design right so they overlap when you hold them up together. They just put the logo on both of their hands ... LOL!

And that's, of course, not mentioning their utter inability to manage the salary cap, letting two blue-chip players walk this off-season, horrible drafting for the last 10 years, etc.
Again, though, we're talking about lifetime achievement. 10 years- no matter how truly, epically, comically, ineptly dysfunctional- cannot erase the amazing, storied history of the Raiders.

The Cardinals are pretty well-run since about 2006 or so, but prior to that Bidwell had a reputation for tightfistery that might even embarrass Mike Brown. My impression of the Cardinals is that they're basically the Bengals, only for twice as long and with no Bill Walsh, Ken Anderson, or respectful run in the '80s. Their record for futility is actually pretty amazing when you look at it. The Dallas Cowboys, for instance, could lose every single game left on their schedule this year, and then lose every single game they played for the next 18 years in addition, and they would still have a better lifetime winning percentage than the Cardinals currently have. (Note: this assumes 16-game seasons. For the numbers regardless of season length, the Cowboys could go on a 300-game losing streak and they'd still hold the edge.)

The Cowboys are one of the most impressive, but they aren't even tops. In order for the Green Bay Packers to have a worse winning percentage than the Arizona Cardinals currently have, they would have to go on a 444-game losing streak. That would take nearly 28 years at 16 games per season. The Chicago Bears would need to lose 482 consecutive games, a streak that would take more than three decades. That losing streak would be longer than the 30 longest losing streaks in NFL history* combined. (Side note: the longest losing streak in NFL history is a 29-game run by- you guessed it- the Cardinals.)

I get that the splashy scandals get all the headlines, but the Arizona Cardinals present a truly amazing record of futility the true magnitude of which is nearly impossible to fathom. There might not be one single event I can point to and say "wow, that franchise is dysfunctional", but in terms of the sheer overwhelming body of evidence, it'd be hard to go with anyone else for the lifetime achievement award. Maybe the Lions would be in play, and the Millen era would certainly help, but Detroit has a better winning percentage, a shorter history, double the playoff appearances, and double the championships.

*NFL history, here, only goes back to 1940, because that's as far back as PFR lets me query team streaks.

Users who are viewing this thread