What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the GB running back going forward? (1 Viewer)

Pretty much agree @mnmplayer - he gets the 1st shot at earning the job. 

Reading the story about him in the other topic makes me want to root hard for him - but this is a serious crap shoot right now.

The undercurrent of all this discussion about who's "starting" or being "featured" is an assumption that one guy will take the job. I would guess that is the least likely scenario. The overall trend in the NFL is teams sharing workloads, moving toward more of a committee approach. That would seem even more likely when you have a bunch of unproven assets like Davis, Jackson and Montgomery.

There probably will be a "winner" between Jackson and Davis for the big back role, in the sense that one of them will have more value than the other. But whether that means they'll have more than Montgomery, or any meaningful fantasy value at all, is anyone's guess. Remember, pre-Lacy the Packers' backfield was a perennial fantasy graveyard.

Pretty much agree @mnmplayer - he gets the 1st shot at earning the job. 

Reading the story about him in the other topic makes me want to root hard for him - but this is a serious crap shoot right now.
I honestly can't remember a situation like this where its really an equal 3-way split on who will take over. Usually in these types of situations there is a clear probable winner. Each of the three backs brings something to the table and one could make an argument for any of the three at this point. Just grab as many shares of any of them as you can and hope for the best. In yahoo I would think its pretty clear to grab Jackson above Davis as you can drop him after the game if he doesn't pan out.

Somehow I find myself owning Knile Davis, Ty Montgomery and Don Jackson.....looks like I got this backfield covered.

Hopefully one of them separates from the pack.

The undercurrent of all this discussion about who's "starting" or being "featured" is an assumption that one guy will take the job. I would guess that is the least likely scenario. The overall trend in the NFL is teams sharing workloads, moving toward more of a committee approach. That would seem even more likely when you have a bunch of unproven assets like Davis, Jackson and Montgomery.

There probably will be a "winner" between Jackson and Davis for the big back role, in the sense that one of them will have more value than the other. But whether that means they'll have more than Montgomery, or any meaningful fantasy value at all, is anyone's guess.
I agree with this. RBBC is most likely - but you just never know. Talk of RBBC is also speculative assumption until we see what happens. 

Remember, pre-Lacy the Packers' backfield was a perennial fantasy graveyard.
I once had Ahman Green help me win a league. That wasn't that long ago, was it? 

:lol:

The overall trend in the NFL is teams sharing workloads, moving toward more of a committee approach. That would seem even more likely when you have a bunch of unproven assets like Davis, Jackson and Montgomery.
While true, McCarthy has never been a huge RBBC guy, or so it seems. If one guy runs with the job, he might get the lion's share.

But as we've all said, who knows at this point. Certainly makes the game very, very interesting tonight from a fantasy perspective.

While true, McCarthy has never been a huge RBBC guy, or so it seems. If one guy runs with the job, he might get the lion's share.

But as we've all said, who knows at this point. Certainly makes the game very, very interesting tonight from a fantasy perspective.
Last season Starks and Lacy kind of formed a committee... kind of. 

Lacy's carries this year were 14, 12, 17, 11, 17.

Even if one guy separates himself from the pack, will MM make him anymore FF relevant than Lacy was?

I agree with this. RBBC is most likely - but you just never know. Talk of RBBC is also speculative assumption until we see what happens. 

I once had Ahman Green help me win a league. That wasn't that long ago, was it? 

:lol:
Green, Grant had a nice 3 year stretch (middle year was not as good with some injuries)..in 2007, 2008 and 2009

Now...2010, 2011, and 2012 right before Lacy...yeah, it was a mess of Brandon Jackson, Starks, Grant, and Alex Green

Practice-squad RB Don Jackson and WR Ty Montgomery worked with the Packers' first-team offense at running back on Tuesday."

Like everyone, know idea how it works out.

Based on watching the last game, I don't recall the Packers ever using Montgomery to run the ball. He had 10 receptions and 3 rushes and I'm not sure how many of those are laterals.

Now, maybe they change that with Lacy totally out, but why wouldn't that have happened last week when Montgomery was the only backup to a very hurt Lacy?  Why didn't the Packers add another RB last week, especially given they may have not had to put Lacy on IR if they were able to sit him?  And coming up to a short week?  

It seems increasingly like Packers coaching has become a mess. McCarthy was always mediocre but it now seems worse.  This is just bizarre.  From a fantasy perspective, made worse by the lack of reliance on a running game for an underperforming offence.  Everyone remember a few years ago when the Pack had trouble and returned to the running game with success?  When your offence isn't working why not run the ball more when you're averaging 5 yds/carry?

/rant 

Dr. Brew said:
Since when does price equal talent?

It doesn't, but you speak with such authority on GB's RB situation that I can only assume that you either work for the team, or have inside scoop from someone that does. In which case I will defer to your info.

Otherwise, it looks to me like GB didn't value Davis much more than KC did and just added him for depth... one old friend helping another.

Somehow I find myself owning Knile Davis, Ty Montgomery and Don Jackson.....looks like I got this backfield covered.

Hopefully one of them separates from the pack.
I guess your on 24/7 alert..  The packers acquired a veteran player, and brought up a practice squad guy..  Now there ready to start wheeling and dealing without looking too desperate.   A quick call to Dallas, might get a guy like Darius Jackson..

Im just poking fun, However, I do look forward to your thoughts on who we should start moving forward..

My conclusion on this after devoting too much thought to it is that DXJ is the guy I'm betting on not Davis.

Davis was heir apparent to Charles then.... he falls behind Ware, then West, now this year Reaves... now traded for a 7th. Something ain't right.

If Jackson seizes control of the position tonight then I likely can't get him next week. If Jax does little and Davis is in the mix no one will likely be too impressed and I can hopefully still get him. This offense generates few touches per game for RBs anyway, Lacy was miserable to own just because of the crazy play calling.

The kid Jax is lighter and if he can catch and block then maybe just maybe he has some burst that Lacy could never really show. He has a single shot at making it in the NFL and Davis thought he arrived before getting off the boat. Dunno, if I'm wrong it will only be the 1101st time in FF.

Last edited by a moderator:
My conclusion on this after devoting too much thought to it is that DXJ is the guy I'm betting on not Davis.

Davis was heir apparent to Charles then.... he falls behind Ware, then West, now this year Reaves... now traded for a 7th. Something ain't right.

If Jackson seizes control of the position tonight then I likely can't get him next week. If Jax does little and Davis is in the mix no one will likely be too impressed and I can hopefully still get him. This offense generates few touches per game for RBs anyway, Lacy was miserable to own just because of the crazy play calling.

The kid Jax is lighter and if he can catch and block then maybe just maybe he has some burst that Lacy could never really show. He has a single shot at making it in the NFL and Davis thought he arrived before getting off the boat. Dunno, if I'm wrong it will only be the 1101st time in FF.
Thomas jones was bounced around before someone found his best role.  Corey Dillon had some of his best seasons after leaving Cindy.  Marshawn lynch wasn't beast mode in buffalo.   Just advising not to base your decision on the idea that others didn't want him.   I've seen a lot of hot girls not appreciated by the dude that had them.  

Dr. Brew said:
Since when does price equal talent?

How is Trent Richardson doing? I mean, by your logic since the Colts gave up a 1st round pick he should be "stacking pro bowls on top of pro bowls."

Oakland Raiders got a 4th rounder for Randy Moss from NE... I guess that was kind of a wash huh? 

This trade makes sense if you're a packer fan and you've had to deal with Ted Thompson for the last several years. He doesn't trade draft picks. And when he does it's usually turned out quite well. Davis was 4th string on his team, probably borderline to be cut. KC is getting something for no one. This trade made way too much sense for both players. Maybe they did try to go for West but KC wanted a higher draft pick than TT was willing to cut loose? Who knows. But to say because they gave up a low round draft pick that he's worthless is pretty bogus logic

You think a RB drafted just 3 seasons ago in the third round is not as valuable as a guy who went undrafted and was signed onto the practice squad? Okay. Your logic is completely backwards... they gave up not a whole lot to get him so they must value a guy who was never even drafted better? 

edit: if anything, them going out to TRADE for a RB shows they want him specifically and they don't feel good about their current players. If they wanted a warm body they could have signed someone off a PS (Karlos Williams perhaps), or signed a FA. But they went out and traded for him. They aren't going to trade for him and not use him. That's not TT's way of doing things
I've seen knile davis play.  I'm interested to see what Don Jackson can do.  I think making any assumptions about the GB RB situation at this point is foolish.

Don Jackson officially starting:

Don Jackson - RB -  Packers

Don Jackson will start in Thursday's Week 7 game against the Bears.

Buckle up because Thursday night is going to be an adventure in Green Bay. Faced with some of the worst injury luck you could imagine, Don Jackson, he of zero NFL snaps, will be the Packers' No. 1 running back. But wait, there's more. His backups will be Ty Montgomery, who, the last time we checked is still a wide receiver, and Knile Davis, who was traded from Kansas City to Green Bay 48 hours ago. Davis was being used as the Chiefs' No. 4 running back and a core special teamer. It's anyone guess how this grand experiment will play out. It's good thing the Bears are 1-5, for Green Bay's sake.

Source: packers.com 

Oct 20 - 7:36 PM

The answer to the question posed in the title of the thread is: NOBODY. GB backfield situation is a red herring. There's no hero coming from the junk pile.

As someone who spot-started Montgomery, I'm happy tonight, but that doesn't mean I have a ton of confidence this is sustainable going forward.

As someone who spot-started Montgomery, I'm happy tonight, but that doesn't mean I have a ton of confidence this is sustainable going forward.
if the backfield was status quo it would be one thing but no one knows how davis will be used. I'd imagine next week similar to Jackson before he was hurt and ripkowski. Monty is a huge weapon and I can't see that disappearing. Maybe it does. I will have to wait and see if I'm starting him again until I find out more info on how the next 10 days go

A more traditional back has a role in this offense but it will be complimentary to Monty, not the other way around.

The thread is clearer as to who is the GB running back going backward.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not like McCarthy has some grand plan that he's slowly revealing to us. Dude is totally winging it. Reinventing your running game on the fly is pretty much unprecedented in the modern NFL. They're basically using the "dorm-room spaghetti" approach of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

BTW, I know this makes absolutely no sense, but I think one of the reasons I don't see it as sustainable is that it just seems weird to see guys in the backfield with numbers like 18 and 88. Reminds me of when WRs first started using numbers in the teens (I think Fitz may have been the first really great one). I suppose that means I'll get used to it eventually.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not like McCarthy has some grand plan that he's slowly revealing to us. Dude is totally winging it. Reinventing your running game on the fly is pretty much unprecedented in the modern NFL. They're basically using the "dorm-room spaghetti" approach of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

BTW, I know this makes absolutely no sense, but I think one of the reasons I don't see it as sustainable is that it just seems weird to see guys in the backfield with numbers like 18 and 88. Reminds me of when WRs first started using numbers in the teens (I think Fitz may have been the first really great one). I suppose that means I'll get used to it eventually.

Beginning in 2004, receivers were allowed to wear 10 through 19 (regardless of number crunches in the 80-89 range), and the first three wideouts chosen in the 2004 draft all took advantage by wearing No. 11: Reggie Williams, Roy Williams, and Larry Fitzgerald. In addition, several veteran receivers have switched to the teens upon changing teams, including Randy Moss (who went from 84 to 18) and Plaxico Burress (80 to 17, which he bought from Jeff Feagles). Even Jerry Rice, who was so attached to No. 80 that he convinced Steve Largent to let the Seahawks unretire his number during Rice's brief stint in Seattle; he tried out a teen number during the 2005 preseason before finally retiring.

Beginning in 2004, receivers were allowed to wear 10 through 19 (regardless of number crunches in the 80-89 range), and the first three wideouts chosen in the 2004 draft all took advantage by wearing No. 11: Reggie Williams, Roy Williams, and Larry Fitzgerald. In addition, several veteran receivers have switched to the teens upon changing teams, including Randy Moss (who went from 84 to 18) and Plaxico Burress (80 to 17, which he bought from Jeff Feagles). Even Jerry Rice, who was so attached to No. 80 that he convinced Steve Largent to let the Seahawks unretire his number during Rice's brief stint in Seattle; he tried out a teen number during the 2005 preseason before finally retiring.
Huh, always wondered about that. I hadn't realized it was a rule change.

i don't think it's sustainable if their intentions were to rush Cobb / Montgomery 8-15 each. It was 5 & 9 last night, FB got 3, two tailbacks who dressed got two each. The Packers ran 81 plays - Bears 46 - so adjust accordingly, they won't dominate ToP that much every week.

But since the (apparent) plan is to use short passes as the de facto run game,  it is sustainsble. 

Its not unprecedented - Pats have been doing that for years, 49ers decades before that. 

Users who are viewing this thread