What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's the Most Famous Person from your High School and why don't I know who he or she is? (1 Viewer)

Winston Groom.

We moved before high school but went to middle school and played football with/against Travis McGriff and Terry Jackson

It was very strange when copies of the Playboy where Shannon was named Playmate of the Year were going around the school and her younger sister and brother were students there.

We had two models in my class in high school (neither became "famous" although one is still a working model in NYC).  One of them did a full page lingerie ad in the local news paper during our senior year.  That got some buzz in the cafeteria that day.

So who is winning so far?
My Rushmore:

Matt Stafford - Clayton Kershaw - Scottie Sheffler - Angie Harmon

Super Bowl Winner - World Series Winner/MVP - Masters Winner - Super Model/Smoke Show

Alternative Rushmore:

Doak Walker - Bobby Layne - Chris Young - Jayne Mansfield

Heisman Winner/Hall of Famer - 3 time NFL Champ/Hall of Famer - MLB Allstar/World Series Winner/Comeback Player of the Year - Playboy Playmate/All--time Hawt

I could even create a 3rd string Rushmore.  But I'll accept my award now.

General Malaise said:
My Rushmore:

Super Bowl Winner - World Series Winner/MVP - Masters Winner - Super Model/Smoke Show

Alternative Rushmore:

Heisman Winner/Hall of Famer - 3 time NFL Champ/Hall of Famer - MLB Allstar/World Series Winner/Comeback Player of the Year - Playboy Playmate/All--time Hawt

Jayne Mansfield in the second tier?  :loco:

General Malaise said:
My Rushmore:

Alternative Rushmore:

Prolific FBG poster, but yeah probably 2nd tier.

Former Oregon governor and all around good guy Tom McCall.  Waterfront Park in Portland is named after him, as is a school here in town.

Next closest is a kid named Maardy Leunen who took our school to one state championship and nearly another in hoops in the early 00's.  Played for the Ducks and was drafted by the Rockets before settling into a nice 12 year career overseas.

That's why you don't know who he or she is.

Former Oregon governor and all around good guy Tom McCall.  Waterfront Park in Portland is named after him, as is a school here in town.

Next closest is a kid named Maardy Leunen who took our school to one state championship and nearly another in hoops in the early 00's.  Played for the Ducks and was drafted by the Rockets before settling into a nice 12 year career overseas.

That's why you don't know who he or she is.

Redmond, right?  

I saw Maarty play last summer at Matt Knight, he was on the Oregon alum The Basketball Tournament team and they played an exhibition game here.  But yeah you and I are probably the only people here who knows who he is!  

Redmond, right?  

I saw Maarty play last summer at Matt Knight, he was on the Oregon alum The Basketball Tournament team and they played an exhibition game here.  But yeah you and I are probably the only people here who knows who he is!  

Yep.  Was a blast to watch those teams his junior/senior year on the same court I stumbled and bumbled across 15 years earlier.  :D

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jon Cryer

Sheldon Glashow

Melvin Schwartz

Leon N. Cooper

Jon Favreau

Most of these folks are scientists, which is a hint for the name of the school. 

Not from my high school but I guess the actor Ned Beatty had a house in my high school town for a few years recently with his third wife. Biggest claim to fame for that sub 1000 resident town.

Oops. Fourth wife.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say Mark Schlereth.  There were some cross country skiing and biathlon Olympians I ran with in track and cross country running, but it was from a time when the US was always finishing 18th in every event, so nobody really remembers them.

Definitely Steve Spurrier. 

Matt Czuchry (Gillmore Girls, The Good Wife, The Resident) was in my graduation class. I’ve known him since third grade. ‘Zook’ was kind of a ########, country club brat, but we always got along okay. 

Definitely Steve Spurrier. 

Matt Czuchry (Gillmore Girls, The Good Wife, The Resident) was in my graduation class. I’ve known him since third grade. ‘Zook’ was kind of a douchey country club brat, but we always got along okay. 
Damn DP. 

During the time I graduated, we produced some outstanding NFL players.

Rae Carruth graduated a few years after me. Charles Mann graduated a few years before me.  Robert Awalt graduated with me.

Rae Carruth - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_Carruth

Charles Mann - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Mann_(American_football)

Robert Awalt - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Awalt

Good ole' Valley High.  Back when I was in high school, Valley was in our league (Delta League), so we played them often in all sports.  Rae was a year ahead of me, but I ran against him a couple of times in track.  That didn't turn out real well for me.

Good ole' Valley High.  Back when I was in high school, Valley was in our league (Delta League), so we played them often in all sports.  Rae was a year ahead of me, but I ran against him a couple of times in track.  That didn't turn out real well for me.

He eclipsed JV (Sophomore) records I had in the 400m (51.7), and Triple Jump (40'3"). 

Michael Schwerner is probably the most famous graduate from my High School and if not known by name most people know the basic facts of his murder (or should know) as he was abducted and murdered in Mississippi in 1964 with two other men as they were registering african americans to vote.  Sadly the state of Mississippi would not investigate the murders and the FBI was brought in.  There murders were a major turning point in the civil rights movement and were a major driver in the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  The murders and subsequent investigation by the FBI was the loose basis for the movie Mississippi Burning staring Gene Hackman and William DeFoe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Chaney,_Goodman,_and_Schwerner

Redmond, right?  

I loved that Oregon team with Leunen.  His behind the back dribble move to drive to the hoop was awesome and he could stick the 3 for a big guy.

LOL at "Playmate".  She was in like 40 movies and one of the most famous sex symbols of the 50's and 60's.

In terms of historical significance, she's way higher than a guy who's won a single major.  
Yeah that’s a terrible take by our boy GM. 

LOL at "Playmate".  She was in like 40 movies and one of the most famous sex symbols of the 50's and 60's.

In terms of historical significance, she's way higher than a guy who's won a single major.  

Oh, relax, nerd.  You've never seen any of those movies and you were born in the 70s.  Don't feign fandom with me, friend.  

Scottie Scheffler is the number one golfer in the world.  Right now.  He's the best.  Today.  

Live in the now, Shuke.

Oh, relax, nerd.  You've never seen any of those movies and you were born in the 70s.  Don't feign fandom with me, friend.  

Scottie Scheffler is the number one golfer in the world.  Right now.  He's the best.  Today.  

Live in the now, Shuke.

I missed the late season trade of you to the other team.

I went to a very small private, religious school.  Literally there is no one any of you would know unless you just happen to know them through your daily life.

The most notorious person who attended the school for a few years in middle school was a dude who killed his whole family and was later executed.  I have some crazy stories about that guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Grant_DeYoung

Live in the now, Shuke.

Not sure you know what "famous" means.

Saul Perlmutter, Nobel prize winner in Physics. However, he might be more well known for being mentioned on the TV show "Big Bang Theory". Sheldon wants to go to a Saul Perlmutter lecture so he can ask him questions that will make Perlmutter look stupid. When I watched that episode, I was like "Hey, he went to my high school!"

Users who are viewing this thread