What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why you need to enjoy the rest of this season (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
If you're an NFL fan and a football fan, then you really need to be watching and relishing the rest of this football season. There are two big reasons that you NEED to be consciously enjoying the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.

First, is that there is some really awesome stuff going on in the NFL right now. Both the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts are undefeated after Week 12. Never before in NFL history have two teams both been undefeated this late in the season. Drew Brees and Peyton Manning have been unbelievable and the defenses have been coming up big when they need to as well. Just the possibility of a Super Bowl pitting two undefeated teams against each other is hugely exciting.

We're also seeing a total underdog in the Bengals set to win their division. Nobody gave them a second thought before the season started and we all mocked them when we saw how they ran things in HBO's Hard Knocks. And yet, here they are poised to win their division. Not only that, but they have a legitimate chance of getting the #2 seed in the AFC and getting a bye! Gotta love the parity in the NFL. And it's not been done with smoke and mirrors either. Ochocinco has revived his career and Cedric Benson has found his. Their play, along with a defense that has played extremely well is giving them an honest to goodness shot to do some damage in the playoffs.

In San Diego we have another young QB playing lights out. Rivers is quietly putting up numbers that rival Brees and Manning. His efficiency has been incredible with 5 straight games now completing 70+% of his passes, including 4 of them over 75%. The Chargers are flying under the radar with a 9-3 record and are really starting to round into form.

Love him or hate him, Brett Favre is putting on a clinic in Minnesota. He has the Vikings at 10-2 and is playing some of the best football of his career. It sure looks like he may have been the missing piece for the Vikings. With Adrian Peterson, Brett Favre, and their stifling defense, Minnesota is an exciting team to watch.

The NFC East hasn't really had a team stand out, but the division is one of the most exciting races right now to watch. The Cowboys, Eagles and Giants all have a shot and with several divisional games left between these teams, it should be fun to watch. We're also seeing some fantastic young wide receivers blossom in this division. Miles Austin, DeSean Jackson and Steve Smith look like they could be lighting up the NFC East for years to come.

Kurt Warner keeps doing what he's always done. He's putting up huge numbers and leading his team to wins. The Cardinals are set to win their second straight division title and their offense is extremely exciting to watch.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget about the surge of the Titans. Vince Young's amazing career resurrection and Chris Johnson's incredible season. Chris Johnson still has a very real shot at 2000 yards rushing on the season. He needs to average just a hair under 125 years per game to do it. Lofty numbers to be sure, but this kid is certainly capable of putting them up. One of the most electrifying players in the game today.

But there's another reason that you need to be enjoying this season, and that's because it could be the last year that the NFL exists as we now know and enjoy it. Next year, there is no salary cap. And trying to shut that door once its open will be next to impossible. Of course, that means that there will also be no salary floor as well. So big market teams will be able to spend $150M+ while small market teams may very well cut salary levels to $70M.

The owners have already scuttled supplemental revenue sharing between the teams. This model acknowledged that NFL is the ultimate league sport and has helped grow the league to its current popularity. It recognized that the big markets need the small markets to be competitive for the health of the league as a whole. And that ability of small market teams to compete on the same level has made the NFL so exciting to watch.

But now guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder haven't won a Super Bowl this decade despite spending tons of money. They see the Yankees going out and buying titles and want to do the same thing. Mark my words, this isn't just about the big pocket owners not wanting to give money to small market owners, it's about guys like Jones and Snyder wanting to do anything in their power to win a championship, even if it hurts the league health as a whole in the process.

After 2010 the CBA officially runs out. Right now we're almost certainly looking at either a strike or a lockout in 2011. The union has threatened to de-certify which would lead to anti-trust lawsuits against the NFL, an abolition of the draft, and a whole host of other problems. Once we start going down this path, it will be almost impossible to ever get back to the point where we are now. A salary cap may never exist again. Small market teams may never be able to compete for long stretches of time again. The NFL as we no it may cease to exist.

So enjoy this season. Enjoy the amazing things going on, enjoy the parity, enjoy the league that we've grown to love. You may never see another season like it.

I think tt Roger Goodell and the other leaders will keep the best game in town just that. Players and owners know they have it good and will get things settled it maybe after a lockout, but they have all seen how baseball is struggling.

GroveDiesel said:
Chris Johnson still has a very real shot at 2000 yards rushing on the season. He needs to average just a hair under 125 years per game to do it. Lofty numbers to be sure, but this kid is certainly capable of putting them up. One of the most electrifying players in the game today.
CJ breaking 2000 will make me happy no matter what else happens.I'd also like to see the Vikings beat the Colts in the Superbowl.If not that, I'd take the Saints beating the Colts too.

Last edited by a moderator:
GroveDiesel said:
So enjoy this season. Enjoy the amazing things going on, enjoy the parity, enjoy the league that we've grown to love. You may never see another season like it.
I hate to get involved in discussions like this, because it's purely a matter of opinion and no one is likely to change anyone's mind, but....The possibility of two undefeated teams meeting in the Super Bowl.A total underdog might win its four-team division.Exciting young QBs emerging and old QBs surprising us.The re-birth of a hot prospect-turned-bust together with a super-electric runner on a 5-7 team.If these are the things you're truly enjoying about NFL 2009, then I don't see what you have to worry about. These kinds of things are certainly present in baseball. They're present in college football (which is a lot more unbalanced than baseball). They will still be there in an uncapped NFL. Yes, an uncapped NFL will be different. But there will still be plenty of stuff to enjoy, including most (maybe all) of the stuff on your list of why the NFL is so great this season.JMHO :confused:

GroveDiesel said:
If these are the things you're truly enjoying about NFL 2009, then I don't see what you have to worry about. These kinds of things are certainly present in baseball. They're present in college football (which is a lot more unbalanced than baseball). They will still be there in an uncapped NFL. Yes, an uncapped NFL will be different. But there will still be plenty of stuff to enjoy, including most (maybe all) of the stuff on your list of why the NFL is so great this season.JMHO :goodposting:
Although you maybe right it will come down to the same teams getting the players and making the playoffs every year and winning titles. There are 8 NFL who have owners currently ranked in the Forbes 400, which is a list of the 400 richest people in the world in value. So if it comes down to players getting teams to get into a bidding war, it will get ugly. Guys like Chris Johnson could be signing 3 year deals for $30m a year. There is hope. Some rumors are saying that teams will not be paying players bigger money without the cap because they have confidence that the cap will return and when it does, teams could be in serious trouble trying to stay under. Teams like Cincy who even though are winning this year, have cut it close to sell out their games. Imagine Palmer & Ochcinco making half of the teams salary in 2010 or 2011 and the team is failing to sell out home games and losing their profit. They could fold because the help they got from teams that make money, not necessarily big market. Jacksonville is another team struggling this year.Seattle is not a big market yet they have the richest owner in the NFL. Cleveland is not considered a big market yet we have sold out every game since '99 and have an owner who ranks in the top 120 on the Forbes 400. Now we have needed some help over the last few weeks to sell out but it continues to be done. This goes to show that no matter how big or small a market a team may have, if the money continues to flow they will succeed and survive.

GroveDiesel said:
If these are the things you're truly enjoying about NFL 2009, then I don't see what you have to worry about. These kinds of things are certainly present in baseball. They're present in college football (which is a lot more unbalanced than baseball). They will still be there in an uncapped NFL. Yes, an uncapped NFL will be different. But there will still be plenty of stuff to enjoy, including most (maybe all) of the stuff on your list of why the NFL is so great this season.JMHO :)
Although you maybe right it will come down to the same teams getting the players and making the playoffs every year and winning titles.
Just like college football. It's not perfect, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating Toby Gerhart and C.J. Spiller and Kellen Moore and TCU and and enjoying the heck out of the occasional 5-loss season by OU. Even though the one and only reason they were in that position was money, I don't have a problem enjoying Alabama vs. Florida for what it is: two great teams squaring off in a hugely important game.Again, JMHO.

Without a cap & revenue sharing... Try to envision the NFL without the Green Bay Packers. :shrug:

I doubt there is a work stoppage in the NFL in 2011.
:goodposting: I would be floored. People on all sides would lose billions. Owners ... Players ... Networks.Literally no one would benefit in the short-term (UFL :confused: ) and whatever side would benefit on the long-term would likely lose so much in a lockout/strike that it negates whatever extra they would gain on the backend.

I doubt there is a work stoppage in the NFL in 2011.
:goodposting: I would be floored. People on all sides would lose billions. Owners ... Players ... Networks.Literally no one would benefit in the short-term (UFL :confused: ) and whatever side would benefit on the long-term would likely lose so much in a lockout/strike that it negates whatever extra they would gain on the backend.
While I'm not saying there will be a work stoppage, this exact argument has been said before every work stoppage ever.

I'm pretty sure that if the NFL goes uncapped, I will stop watching the NFL. The cap gives everyone a fair chance to compete. MLB is a joke, imo. An uncapped NFL would turn into a joke as well.

I'm pretty sure that if the NFL goes uncapped, I will stop watching the NFL. The cap gives everyone a fair chance to compete. MLB is a joke, imo. An uncapped NFL would turn into a joke as well.
MLB is a joke because they're playing baseball. I'll keep watching the NFL as long as they keep playing football. If they start playing baseball, I'll sto pwatching.

The one thing that I need to make this season my favorite....

To see my beloved Cincinnati Bengals win the last game of its season.

Super Bowl, baby!

MLB is a joke because they're playing baseball. I'll keep watching the NFL as long as they keep playing football. If they start playing baseball, I'll sto pwatching.
MLB is a joke for a lot of reasons, I enjoy minor league baseball more than the Majors. Really not worried about the NFL, but this is an exciting year.

:thumbup:
Well, he might have gone a little overboard with that statement but the competitive element of pro football is a big part of its draw for me, too. My enjoyment will be severely diminshed if it's the same few high-spending teams dominating the top of the standings every year.

I agree the cap is probably a good thing in an overall sense, but as a fan, I'd be happy to never hear the phrase "cap casualty" again.

I'd love to see both the Saints and the Colts go undefeated and play in the Super Bowl, just to shut up all those guys from the '72 Dolphins team.

In the midst of fantasy playoffs it's good to read a post like this.

Sometimes we get so caught up in the fantasy drama that we don't enjoy watching the games.

Hell, I usually spend more time online on Sundays than actually watching any games or even highlights on TV.

I'm constantly looking at yahoo stattracker or nfl.com live scoreboards to see how my players are doing.

And if I'm not looking at those sites, I'm on this site reading up to the second posts from you guys.

Regardless of how I do in fantasy football over the next week or so, it will be good to just relax during the holidays

and new year and enjoy the playoffs.

But now guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder haven't won a Super Bowl this decade despite spending tons of money. They see the Yankees going out and buying titles and want to do the same thing. Mark my words, this isn't just about the big pocket owners not wanting to give money to small market owners, it's about guys like Jones and Snyder wanting to do anything in their power to win a championship, even if it hurts the league health as a whole in the process.
Doesn't it take Twenty-four of 32 votes to keep the collective bargaining agreement in place?

I'd rather see my team win a Superbowl with the current system than have them able to out spend other teams and win one. Though if the NFL does go uncapped, I wouldn't mind seeing Ziggy take full advantage of it.

Users who are viewing this thread